Pokémon Sylveon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are we even considering pixilate on sylveon? It has no useful moves besides (hyper voice which could be useful in doubles) to abuse pixilate. Hyper beam is a terrible gimmicky move that shouldn't even be considered on sylveon as its special attack isnt high enough to get KO's with the move unless you use modest nature but then sylveon loses a lot of bulk so I see it being a tank or a bulky supporter.

Bold nature EVs, 252 Hp/ 252 defence/ 4 special attack

Moonblast
Wish
Protect
Calm mind

Simple yet effective. bold nature to tank physical hits wish to heal, protect to get a free wish keep alternating With protect wish and calm mind till you get enough boosts to plow through targets with moonblast. Works like a charm.
works like a charm? Protect is predictable, any good player will boost during protect.

I saw something a while back about HP ground for poison and fire types, but what about a HP psychic? :o
Psychic is generally considered one of the worst attacking types in the game. It only hits Poison and Fighting SE, where Poison is barely seen and is handled by Earthquake, and Fighting is better handled by Flying moves. That and it is unaffected by Dark, which is very common. So no, HP Psychic is not very good.

Why are we even considering pixilate on sylveon? It has no useful moves besides (hyper voice which could be useful in doubles) to abuse pixilate. Hyper beam is a terrible gimmicky move that shouldn't even be considered on sylveon as its special attack isnt high enough to get KO's with the move unless you use modest nature but then sylveon loses a lot of bulk so I see it being a tank or a bulky supporter.

Bold nature EVs, 252 Hp/ 252 defence/ 4 special attack

Moonblast
Wish
Protect
Calm mind

Simple yet effective. bold nature to tank physical hits wish to heal, protect to get a free wish keep alternating With protect wish and calm mind till you get enough boosts to plow through targets with moonblast. Works like a charm.
Taunt destroys this, especially with how slow Sylveon is.

Just a minor point regarding doubles: The way Round works, if a faster ally uses it before Sylveon, Sylveon will get to use Round immediately afterwards. At 110 base SpA with STAB and +30% due to Pixielate and low Speed, Sylveon is quite possibly the best pokemon to use this strategy with (Auroros isn't bad either, it gets a better attacking type but low SpA). Thus you can pair it with something like Jolteon to get a base 156 (before STAB) attack at the equivalent of base 130 Speed. Obviously there's Fake Out and stuff to watch for, but still, the potential is there

Speaking in terms of doubles, I think Bold Sylveon works really well as a dual screen supporter. I've been running this lately online to some moderately fun success...

Bold
Leftovers/Sitrus Berry
252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Helping Hand
- Dazzling Gleam (preferred) / Moonblast

Even if she gets taunted, STAB Dazzling Gleam is nothing to scoff at with a 110 base even with no investment, factor in that Fairy has very little in the meta game resisting it, makes for some pretty dang decent support spread damage should you get taunted, or helping hand and screens are not necessary in the moment.

Last edited:
anyone plan to run a bulky special sweep with Sylveon?

Modest
Assault vest
252 HP/252 SpA/4 SpD
- Hyper Beam
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Moonblast (Replacing with Hyper Voice)

Last edited:
Forgive me for being a newbie here, but I was curious about something in particular and figured I'd toss it out there. As an Eevee, Sylveon gets the move Trump Card. You know, the move that gets more powerful as its power points go down? With the boost from Pixilate combined STAB it seems like it could do at least a fair bit of damage reliably, but what really makes it shine is how much stronger it gets as its PP goes down. So I was wondering if the attack would be at all viable? Keep in mind at one PP Trump Card's base attack is 190, so factor in STAB plus Pixilate boost...

Forgive me for being a newbie here, but I was curious about something in particular and figured I'd toss it out there. As an Eevee, Sylveon gets the move Trump Card. You know, the move that gets more powerful as its power points go down? With the boost from Pixilate combined STAB it seems like it could do at least a fair bit of damage reliably, but what really makes it shine is how much stronger it gets as its PP goes down. So I was wondering if the attack would be at all viable? Keep in mind at one PP Trump Card's base attack is 190, so factor in STAB plus Pixilate boost...
I don't think it'd be viable really. Unlike a move like Fury Cutter which has to be used several times before it becomes powerful (and stays powerful as long as you spam it)... Trump Card can only hit super hard once then thats it.

Hypervoice has a base power of 90, meaning that trump card only damages it on the last PP. No opponent will ever let that happen, since you'll be telegraphing your strategy every time you use it in order to get it down to 1pp. And you only get that one shot, versus 10 (16 PP-maxed) hyper voices.

Also please please PLEASE stop suggesting Moonblast and ESPECIALLY dazzling gleam on sets. Hypervoice is her best move, it goes through subs, and has a 30% boost due to Pixilate which is then STAB'd, and hits both opponents in doubles. And all of this was proven in the battle mechanics thread, so go read it searching for pixilate, areialate, and refridgerate.

Pokebank will be here before you know it, so it's not really necessary to discuss sets that will be outclassed in two months. If you want a defensive set with the chance at a Sp. Attack drop, then maybe MAYBE. But the subs passing of hyper voice still outclasses it.

Last edited:
Sadly, the issue with Trump Card is that I requires you to waste turns using the weaker shots to get to the powerful ones, and they don't last that long. It's similar to Hyper Beam: you get more damage output if you use a consecutive power move instead of using this one repeatedly. However, I could see a TR/Spite strategy working in doubles with something like Dusknoir. Use it 1st turn, Dusknoir uses Spite on Sylveon. Sylveon uses Wish, Dusknoir uses TR. Sylveon can now use massively powerful fairy blasts.

Sadly, the issue with Trump Card is that I requires you to waste turns using the weaker shots to get to the powerful ones, and they don't last that long. It's similar to Hyper Beam: you get more damage output if you use a consecutive power move instead of using this one repeatedly. However, I could see a TR/Spite strategy working in doubles with something like Dusknoir. Use it 1st turn, Dusknoir uses Spite on Sylveon. Sylveon uses Wish, Dusknoir uses TR. Sylveon can now use massively powerful fairy blasts.
Right, right. I figured it wouldn't be all that viable, but I liked the idea. Though what if you slapped a pair of Choice Specs on it? Nothing is immune to fairy, 110 base special attack is pretty good, Sylveon is slow but fairly, and being locked into a move with all those boosts that gets more powerful every turn you use it doesn't seem all that bad to me. Sure it's gimmicky and you can only use it five times, but you could do worse things.

Few questions:

1) I thought Sylveon couldn't get Hyper Voice? Or at least, till Pokebank is out? Can someone please explain this to me?

2) What's this about Hyper Voice hitting through Substitute? Am I really so out of the loop now? u.u

3) Would Hyper Voice work on Ghost Pokemon, even if it's a Normal move being altered by Pixilate?

Few questions:

1) I thought Sylveon couldn't get Hyper Voice? Or at least, till Pokebank is out? Can someone please explain this to me?

2) What's this about Hyper Voice hitting through Substitute? Am I really so out of the loop now? u.u

3) Would Hyper Voice work on Ghost Pokemon, even if it's a Normal move being altered by Pixilate?
1. Yes, it's a move tutor from previous gens. But with only 2 months until Pokebank, it's really not worth not including it when we're just going to get it then.
2. All sound moves hit through subs now, including round, echoed voice, bug buzz, boomburst, and hyper voice.
3. Yes, since it is considered a fairy move, not a normal one (it also gets stab then, on top of the pixilate bonus 1.3). The normal gem won't work on it too.

Thanks for clarifying (:

Hyper Voice is then, by far, the superior choice over Moonblast then, unless you're actually counting on the special attack drops from Moonblast. I'm still hoping it will get Boomburst in the next tutor, haha.

I'm liking this flamboyant fairy fox thing the more I look at the things it can do, but I'm not sure what I want out of it. Defensive wish support? Offensive special tank? Maybe if I were running a physically defensive team I'd run it as a compliment, but Vaporeon being the physical tank it is happens to be a much better compliment to the special walls of Gen 6, imo. It can run the same support role Sylveon can on the physically defensive side.

I do want to try out the calm mind sweeper set with hyper voice, though.

I'm liking this flamboyant fairy fox thing the more I look at the things it can do, but I'm not sure what I want out of it. Defensive wish support? Offensive special tank? Maybe if I were running a physically defensive team I'd run it as a compliment, but Vaporeon being the physical tank it is happens to be a much better compliment to the special walls of Gen 6, imo. It can run the same support role Sylveon can on the physically defensive side.

I do too, it should work well enough, calm mind/hyper voice is the best option

Sweeping probably isn't your best bet. Its pretty slow, and its weakness to physical attacks and special defenses make it unsuited for taking on switch ins. His real niche would have to be countering special attackers and substitute users. A calm mind set could work for that, but calling him a sweeper implies too much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)