Mix attack
Ability: Pixielate
EVs:
Item: Life orb
~ Quick Attack/ Giga Impact
~ Psyshock/shadow ball/Dig
~ Work up
~ Moonblast / Hyper Voice / Hyper beam

It just a crazy idea I was thinking of, its not really meant to be taken seriously
I can see a bit of merit it to this. Put everything into def and sp.atk, then your final 4 into atk, and then work up will aid both your offenses, giving sylveon the ability to priority kill a poke that it crippled with a moon blast or psyschock...Sylveon is better off with calm mind as opposed to work up, however its worth the try. I just wouldn't advise it for a competition just yet

I can see a bit of merit it to this. Put everything into def and sp.atk, then your final 4 into atk, and then work up will aid both your offenses, giving sylveon the ability to priority kill a poke that it crippled with a moon blast or psyschock...Sylveon is better off with calm mind as opposed to work up, however its worth the try. I just wouldn't advise it for a competition just yet
its just an idea, also this set revolves around Work up, its not meant to be use.

Mix attack
Ability: Pixielate
EVs:
brave
Item: left overs
~ Quick Attack/ Giga Impact/ Moonblast / Hyper Voice / Hyper beam
~ Psyshock/shadow ball/Dig
~ Calm Mind
~ Curse

Probaly used for a trick room set, to set up bulk and then attack, a wait and see offensive

Is investing in Def better or SpD better if I'm trying to run a defensive set with Wish, moonblast, shadowball and something else? I'm trying to make him wall off some special attackers that can hurt whoever stays in cuz currently my team lacks special bulk. I tried putting 252 hp/ 252 spD/ 4 Def, found that he gets 2HKO quiet often with physical moves (although i guess he shouldn't be taking those hits) also does little damage to anything thats not a full out sweeper. I just started pokemon battling so I'm probably doing something wrong, but I was wondering what EV investments have been working for you guys defensively.

So, a choice specs Hyper Beam from a Sylveon is the strongest move in the game. I'm honestly considering running this. Even if it does mean that it gives the opponent a turn as it will damage anything and can survive a hit if invested in bulk and hit again.

I just got a Togepi to breed, but then realses, won't Togekiss be better than Sylveon? I want a Support but also someone who can damage.

Also, is yawn considered anti-fairplay or something by most elitists?

I was thinking:
Wish
Moonblast
Yawn
Protect/Shadow Ball (safety vs coverage)

I have Rotom W with will o wisp, it works great to switch with Sylveon afterwards.

Is investing in Def better or SpD better if I'm trying to run a defensive set with Wish, moonblast, shadowball and something else? I'm trying to make him wall off some special attackers that can hurt whoever stays in cuz currently my team lacks special bulk. I tried putting 252 hp/ 252 spD/ 4 Def, found that he gets 2HKO quiet often with physical moves (although i guess he shouldn't be taking those hits) also does little damage to anything thats not a full out sweeper. I just started pokemon battling so I'm probably doing something wrong, but I was wondering what EV investments have been working for you guys defensively.
It depends on what your team needs. Sylveon can go both ways, but generally you'd want to invest in Defense and have a Bold nature to cover its low Defense stat like Vaporeon. Of course, if you need a special tank that isn't named Blissey/Chansey you can invest in Special Defense with a Calm nature. Either way, Sylveon makes a great tank.

I just got a Togepi to breed, but then realses, won't Togekiss be better than Sylveon? I want a Support but also someone who can damage.

Also, is yawn considered anti-fairplay or something by most elitists?

I was thinking:
Wish
Moonblast
Yawn
Protect/Shadow Ball (safety vs coverage)

I have Rotom W with will o wisp, it works great to switch with Sylveon afterwards.
Sylveon has more HP and Special Defense making it a better special tank. Sylveon also takes less damage from SR and doesn't suffer Togekisses various weaknesses. On the other hand, Togekiss has more coverage and is a bit faster and can hit slightly harder so it can make a good support as well. It really depends on what you want to focus on.

It depends on what your team needs. Sylveon can go both ways, but generally you'd want to invest in Defense and have a Bold nature to cover its low Defense stat like Vaporeon. Of course, if you need a special tank that isn't named Blissey/Chansey you can invest in Special Defense with a Calm nature. Either way, Sylveon makes a great tank.
ok thanks. i think ill just stick to this set for now. I'm current running yawn, wish, moonblast and shadowball, might switch yawn for toxic, reason i wanted to run yawn was cuz my team lacked status conditions and i wanted to give some of my squishy sweepers some room to switch in

So, a choice specs Hyper Beam from a Sylveon is the strongest move in the game. I'm honestly considering running this. Even if it does mean that it gives the opponent a turn as it will damage anything and can survive a hit if invested in bulk and hit again.
Hyper Beam will most likely kill whatever you want it to kill, but then your opponent gets one turn to set up their Belly Drum Azumarill or sub up + boosting move with whatever they want and then proceed to wreck your team. That's a big price to pay to just kill one target.

ok thanks. i think ill just stick to this set for now. I'm current running yawn, wish, moonblast and shadowball, might switch yawn for toxic, reason i wanted to run yawn was cuz my team lacked status conditions and i wanted to give some of my squishy sweepers some room to switch in
Protect is also an option to get Wish's effect in without any problems. It's also useful for scouting.

Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz and Kyogre Water Spout in Rain are both much stronger with the same appropriate choice item.

I'd wager there are a lot of other things that are stronger than a Sylveon Hyper Beam that won't leave you completely open for a turn.

Last edited:
Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz and Kyogre Water Spout in Rain are both much stronger with the same appropriate choice item.

I'd wager there are a lot of other things that are stronger than a Sylveon Hyper Beam that won't leave you completely open for a turn.
I agree that there might be other moves stronger than Sylveon's Pixilated Hyper Beam, but still. It is a convenient move to remove a counter if you feel Sylveon's done its job. Of course, it is the most gimmicky thing Sylveon has going for itself, but the sheer power of the move should be enough to take down something that Sylveon couldn't without the move. It is the ultimate trump card, it pretty much can fuck you up if your opponent still has something that can set up on Sylveon, but that's where skill comes into play.

Sylveon carrying a Specs set with Psyshock, Hyper Voice, Shadow Ball and Hyper Beam could cause a lot of trouble to its would be counters, I suppose. I can't calc anything right now, but it could work as a last resort move if played correctly.

That the above set is super gimmicky? Of course it is. But you could still carry Hyper Beam in another spot of another set given the fact that Sylveon's coverage is non existent, if only for the surprise factor. I wouldn't slash Hyper Beam in any competitive set, but it is there, it is a possibility. It still makes Sylveon be able to carry a nuke and that is scary. Sometimes your opponent cannot afford to lose their Scizor or Charizard X so early in the match, and Hyper Beam opens that possibility: the possibility to, if well played, remove a huge threat from your opponent's team at the expense of your Sylveon (and if played with utmost care, maybe not needing to sac your Sylveon at all). A Sylveon for a Scizor or a CharX sounds like a great trade off for me.

I know how gimmicky this is. Believe me, I know. Otherwise I wouldn't be writing this "disclaimer". I'm just throwing this out for theorizing, not necessarily because this will define Sylveon.

In Gen 4, people were actually carrying Hyper Beam on some Porygon-Z (and Giga Impact on Slaking) for this reason. However, it was very few people, and less and less people did it. In Gen 5, no one did, since giving Volcorona a free Quiver Dance or Cloyster a free Shell Smash or Dragonite two free Dragon Dances is a really bad idea. In Gen 6, there's more boosting sweepers like Shell Smash Barbaracle, BellyJet Azumarill, Swords Dance Aegislash, and Xerneas (which is going straight to Ubers), not to mention Power Herb Geomancy Passer Smeargle (or any Passer Smeargle really), and...yeah.

Hyper Beam was pretty much dead 4 generations ago. It's even more dead now.

Would it be possible to carry Hyper Beam-like moves on a sandstorm team or against poison/toxic spikes or with a toxic/flame orb and engineer it so you get KOed by residual damage after the Beam move?

Would it be possible to carry Hyper Beam-like moves on a sandstorm team or against poison/toxic spikes or with a toxic/flame orb and engineer it so you get KOed by residual damage after the Beam move?
Wayyyyyy too situational. Most attacks will either fail to do anything, barely 2HKO, or OHKO. If you get REALLY LUCKY with this I suppose. Maybe 1 in 500 battles.

To give you an idea of how lucky you'd have to be:

252+ Atk (custom) (Move 1) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def (custom): 338-398 (85.78 - 101.01%) -- 6.25% chance to OHKO

This is a random custom SE attack. Let's look at the possible damages:
338, 342, 344, 350, 354, 356, 362, 366, 368, 374, 378, 380, 386, 390, 392, 398

The bold ones are the ones that do not OHKO, but leave you in KO range for Sandstorm after being hit with them. That's a 6/16 (37.5%) chance, even with such a specific moves. Most moves will either OHKO or not do nearly that much damage.

The thing is, if Sylveon would ever plan on running an offensive set (it shouldn't), given the lack of coverage moce it gets Hyper Beam is a gimmicky possibility.

Sylveon is way better off Calm Minding and Wish passing, though. That much I agree.

Wayyyyyy too situational. Most attacks will either fail to do anything, barely 2HKO, or OHKO. If you get REALLY LUCKY with this I suppose. Maybe 1 in 500 battles.

To give you an idea of how lucky you'd have to be:

252+ Atk (custom) (Move 1) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def (custom): 338-398 (85.78 - 101.01%) -- 6.25% chance to OHKO

This is a random custom SE attack. Let's look at the possible damages:
338, 342, 344, 350, 354, 356, 362, 366, 368, 374, 378, 380, 386, 390, 392, 398

The bold ones are the ones that do not OHKO, but leave you in KO range for Sandstorm after being hit with them. That's a 6/16 (37.5%) chance, even with such a specific moves. Most moves will either OHKO or not do nearly that much damage.
Yeah, I sorta figured. You could ask your opponent nicely to use Destiny Bond, maybe? :V

Why are we even considering pixilate on sylveon? It has no useful moves besides (hyper voice which could be useful in doubles) to abuse pixilate. Hyper beam is a terrible gimmicky move that shouldn't even be considered on sylveon as its special attack isnt high enough to get KO's with the move unless you use modest nature but then sylveon loses a lot of bulk so I see it being a tank or a bulky supporter.

Bold nature EVs, 252 Hp/ 252 defence/ 4 special attack

Moonblast
Wish
Protect
Calm mind

Simple yet effective. bold nature to tank physical hits wish to heal, protect to get a free wish keep alternating With protect wish and calm mind till you get enough boosts to plow through targets with moonblast. Works like a charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)