Pokémon Furfrou

Status
Not open for further replies.

SinfulPanda69

Banned deucer.
I think you guys are focusing too much on the cons. Furfrou can be wonderful if you think about it! I mean, it has very high speed for a wall (base 104 FTW). It is also carrying STAB return, sucker punch, baby-doll eyes, and the best defense boosting move evar: cotton guard. Besides, for all we know it could get recover or slack off as an egg move!

It gets neither Recover nor Slack Off as egg moves. I'm thinking of using Furfrou as a phazer with Return/U-turn/ThunderWave/Roar, but I'm having doubts as to how this poodle is going to fare when things like Sacred Sword Aegislash are running rampant.

canno

formerly The Reptile
Maybe a RestTalk set with Roar could be viable in the lower tiers? Sleep Talk lets Roar ignore it's priority, and it has good speed. Hazard support would be great, but it would mainly use the phazing for stalling out sleep turns. Only problem is that (assuming Return is your last move) you cant touch Ghost, and RestTalk is unreliable. Too bad it doesn't get something like Foul Play - that shit would be sweet. Sadly though, I don't see Furfro being that great in the upper tiers.

Too little offensive presence and major 4MSS just screams NU to me. Sure, it can hold up to hits quite well, but it can't seem to be able to do a great deal back to the opponent.

Heres a set that I was just using a little while back

Furfrou @ Leftovers
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature (+SpD, -SpA)
~ Thunder Wave
~ Headbutt
~ Sucker Punch
~ Roar

Set really doesn't do much but Furfrou's movepool is quite bad. I think it can have some success with this set.

I don't think it is going to reach the higher tiers, but I also do not think it will be in PU or such. In other words, NU or even RU.

Fur Coat is an amazing ability that turns Furfrou's shabby 60 Defense into something a bit notable at the very least. A shame that there is no recovery outside of the Rest+Talk combo, which would definitely help defining its use.

As with what it already has, Thunder Wave and U-turn is a good pair of moves that it could use in the lower tiers. A 103 Speed and 80 Attack is fairly good at the lower tiers, along with the ability and the defenses.

Again, I do think there is hope that Furfrou will be used in the low tiers (NU, maybe RU).

Furfrou @ Leftovers
252 speed / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Naive Nature
~ Work up
~ Headbutt
~ Sucker Punch
~ Grass knot

I thought of this, this one is used for like NU or under, its just to use as a revenge killer or a starter

Name: Stylish Staller
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Fur Coat
Nature: Impish
EV's: 252 Def, 252 HP, 4 Atk

Moveset:
Cotton Guard
Substitute
Toxic
Sucker Punch

I thought of this and tested it, it works quite well, not sure if its been thought of before me, just sharing ^^

Name: Stylish Staller
Item: Leftovers
EV's: 252 Def, 252 HP, 4 Atk

Moveset:
Cotton Guard
Substitute
Toxic
Sucker Punch

I thought of this and tested it, it works quite well, not sure if its been thought of before me, just sharing ^^
Its great for a bulk, I have to test it too, well the only weakness I see is that steel types take no real damage from this set, also a special attcker fighting type can do damage, so Lurcario would be the biggest problem

This poke could be nice .. on NU, I guess. It has no reliable recovery (we don't know if it gets anythin as an egg move yet, but so far, we talk with what we have), and, while fast, it just doesn't have much of an offensive pressure. A taunt user would pretty much shut it down, without a substitute itself, it is prone to status, with a sub it loses even more health, affected by all entry hazards, and, offensively, it just doesn't have good stats to do much, sans speed. On NU it could work, but I doubt it can go any higher than that. I don't see it be able to wall the OU physical powerhouses all too well.

Edit: LO 252 Attack Garchomp's EQ vs. 252HP/252Def+ : 29,66%-35,31% - 3,05% Chance to 3HKO.

Granted, it can soak up quite a few hits, after all. But still it can't do much other than poison, and it's still quite weak a wall vs taunt users.

Last edited:
Its great for a bulk, I have to test it too, well the only weakness I see is that steel types take no real damage from this set, also a special attcker fighting type can do damage, so Lurcario would be the biggest problem
Very true, I was just testing this set and I faced that problem, but as long as you're not stuck there its a good set and worth testing out :D

Furfrou @ Rocky Helmet
252 HP / 252 Att / 4 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)
~ Return
~ Cotton Guard
~ Sucker Punch
~ U-Turn

I use this set so that his damage isn't completely useless. Rocky Helmet gives me a little bonus for tanking the physical hits by damaging them. The fact that cotton guard means +6 defense in 2 turns means I don't really feel it necessary to put so many EVs in defense. The only real counter I've found yet to this is Aegislash, but U-Turn means I can escape quickly without fear of shadow sneak (thanks normal typing)

This mon is too one dimensional. It has to compete with the likes of regirock down in NU. Theres a lot to like, but I dont see much of a niche for it other than para shuffling which is actually pretty useful. I just don't know if it will be enough to be worth a spot on the team.

Your post kinda seemed to be centred around fast phazing however phazing has negative priority, meaning that most of the time Furfrou will be outsped anyway.
Oh, good point! That was an oversight on my part. I meant to say that Furfrou is a fast Pokemon with phazing (Charm, Confide, T-Wave, Roar, etc.). capability.

It's a real bummer Furfrou doesn't have a better special attack stat, because he has a surprisingly decent special movepool. Anyway, I think the tanky toxic stall Rocky Helmet set posted above will be a standard set in singles. I really think he's built for doubles, though - he could be partnered with a frail sweeper and use his decent speed, T-Wave, and stat lowering moves to make it easier for said sweeper to set up, theoretically.

EDIT: Do we know if Furfrou learns Entrainment via breeding? If he did he could give his ability to a partner in doubles. According to Serebii, Furfrou also learns Work Up as an egg move, so he does have a way to boost his mediocre attack to decent-ish levels.

Last edited:

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Oh, good point! That was an oversight on my part. I meant to say that Furfrou is a fast Pokemon with phazing (Charm, Confide, T-Wave, Roar, etc.). capability.

It's a real bummer Furfrou doesn't have a better special attack stat, because he has a surprisingly decent special movepool. Anyway, I think the tanky toxic stall Rocky Helmet set posted above will be a standard set in singles. I really think he's built for doubles, though - he could be partnered with a frail sweeper and use his decent speed, T-Wave, and stat lowering moves to make it easier for said sweeper to set up, theoretically.

EDIT: Do we know if Furfrou learns Entrainment via breeding? If he did he could give his ability to a partner in doubles. According to Serebii, Furfrou also learns Work Up as an egg move, so he does have a way to boost his mediocre attack to decent-ish levels.
Ok so every normal type on the planet and several more have surprisingly good special movepool and bad special attack. Delcatty, Aggron, Dunsparce and Rhydon all come to mind when I say this. Rocky Helmet... nah. This guy doesn't get reliable recovery, at least give him passive recovery with Leftovers. Also this is literally just wondering... what doubles-viable Normal-Type Pokemon don't have the things you listed? Decent Speed, T-Wave and stat lowering moves are something that a hell of a lot of Pokemon have actually, plus status isn't that great in doubles anyway. The only move that would be good is burn, but since doubles matches are usually so short it doesn't really effect much anyway.

Also Work Up is pretty much a bad attack. Could be useful on Mixed Sweepers but a mixed set-up sweeper is pretty much never seen because... well... it means you're wasting two turns and a lot of HP for one attack. Swords Dance (pretty much every Normal-Type on the planet learns it) would be better. Also Entrainment is pretty bad in doubles but I guess so...

mac1275, in my opinion, hit the nail on the head right there. Not just because both of these are dogs, but I think that Furfrou is really similar to Stoutland. When Stoutland came into NU everyone was like "oh cool, sand rush sweeper" then everyone was like "who doesn't learn sandstorm"... eventually people decided that the best thing Stoutland could do was a powerful parashuffler, which worked for a while until people realized that Stoutland wasn't really what they needed for their team; parashuffling is nice and all but it's not a fantastic niche as is.

Leave Furfrou to rot imho.

I'm doing pretty well in BM using
Furfrou Leftovers
252 HP / 252 Def/ 4 Atk
Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)
~ Headbut/Return
~ T-wave
~ Bite
~Cotton Guard

Switch him into pretty much any physical attacker, T-Wave, and Headbutt the aftermath (bite if it's a ghost). With cotton guard, it's easy to reach the point where he's healing more damage than he takes each turn.

But then BM's not competitive, and I'm sure most people would just switch their physical attacker out rather than face him. Which isn't bad in and of itself.

I'm rather fond of my Furfrou. I wouldn't say he's fantastic competitively, but he's been doing okay in casual matches, and people seem to forget the whole reduced physical damage dealie. One opponent's choice to use Psyshock cost them a Pokemon they otherwise wouldn't have. Then again, if they'd used a regular special attack, Furfrou would've been toast.

For what it's worth, I mostly EV trained in attack and speed with a little in defense to make up for a lonely nature (+Attack/-Defense). I equip him with Rocky Helmet just to add insult (and more injury) to injury.

Moves... Wow, really? Okay, for now:

~ Return
~ Cotton Guard
~ Dig
~ Facade

I'm not sure why I gave it Facade. Thunder Wave seems like a better choice. Cotton Guard has yet to do much good. I'm not sure if EV training differently would change that, but I think Furfrou is primarily a fluffy grump that's fun to have in single player and not that great in matches with carefully selected and trained Pokemon.

Furfrou @ Rocky Helmet
Bold (+Def, -Att)
252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 SpD
-Toxic
-Snarl
-Cotton Guard
-Rest

Not my set. Just wanted to post it because, I was so (._.) distraught from facing one. This is from some random I faced on Battle Spot. I unfortunately went into Mega Kangaskhan, Dragonite, and Starmie. I expected M-Kangaskhan to sweep the entire team...1 (Mega) Power up Punch took off 15%, while I received 25% Rocky Helmet Damage. OOPS. Long Story Short... I got walled and proceeded to search Furfrou and talk about it here.

^The Swag Crew^

Name: Furfrou
Type: Normal
Ability: Fur Coat (Halves damage from Physical moves.)
Base Stats: 75 / 80 / 60 / 65 / 90 / 100-102

Notable Moves (STAB Moves in Italics) :
Baby-Doll Eyes
Cotton Guard
Sucker Punch
Roar
Toxic
Return
Thunder Wave
Sleep Talk
U-Turn
Wild Charge

General Analysis:
Right away, you might be thinking: "Why the hell would anybody use this garbage?!" Don't let its subpar stats and Poodle-like appearance differ you from using this little doggy. It's ability, Fur Coat, makes it an ideal Physical Wall. It can be boosted even further if it opts to run Baby-Doll Eyes or Cotton Guard, giving it's opponent even more trouble on the Physical side. Furfrou's typing is great, with only having one weakness. It can also use an attacking set if it decides to run Assault Vest as well! It gets a plethora of Status moves, while also being able to phase set-up sweepers. U-Turn is great for a slow - but steady - switch in. While it might not see too much usage, it can stall wall many physical attackers lacking an appropriate move.

Potential Moveset:

fuk u physical atackers
Item:
Leftovers
EV's: 252 Defense, 252 HP, 4 Special Defense
Moves: Cotton Guard | U-Turn | Thunder Wave or Toxic or Roar | Return

This set really just gives the middle finger to all Physical attackers. If you lack a Special Attacker and it manages to set up Cotton Guard, it is pretty much gg. U-Turn might seem odd with a boosting set, but it works quite well to escape many threats it cannot beat, while keeping up momentum. The third moveslot is really up to your team's needs. If it has some slower Pokemon that enjoy Paralysis spread - go for Thunder Wave, if your team wants a stally Physical Wall - go for Toxic, and if your team has problems with Set-Up Sweepers - go for Roar. Return is a mandatory STAB move to hit decently on anything that trys to Taunt it. Furfrou + Aegislash + Blissey create a very powerful core, with Blissey + Furfrou handling both sides of the attacking spectrum, Aegislash can take out the Fighting-types that trouble this core, while also Spin-Blocking any hazards you set up.

My Personal Opinion:

Furfrou is probably gonna go overlooked :/ I like it, I see every Pokemon has potential, but Furfrou just has that little extra umph. I can see it being a nice RU Wall, but I don't imagine it getting higher than that sadly.​
I'm going to jab at the Set above a little bit. To make Furfrou as slow as possible, you may want to run 0 Speed IVs and a Relaxed Nature.

Furfrou and rocky helmet *is* hilarious. It's like they just pack the helmet in under all that fur.

Personally, I think Adamant (+Att), Impish (+Def), or Careful (+SpDef) would be the best natures for Furfrou purely on the basis that I don't imagine its special attack getting used for much, if anything, and I don't want any of the other stats getting reduced.

I'm guessing, of those three, Careful would be the least desirable. I don't like that my own Furfrou has a decreased defense stat, but I've been happy with boosted Attack. I've had Furfrou with me since early in the game, and Return is hitting at max power with EV-trained attack on top of an Attack nature.

The best use I can think of for Furfrou is teaming it up with something physically frail like Gardivor in Doubles and having it use Skill Swap on it to boost its defense. Other than that, I don't think it will see much use outside of the lower tiers. Its movepool lets it down, and unless it gets some good event moves, like Heal Bell or Slack Off, then I don't think it is worth using.

I personally like to play mono normal and when I saw furfrou I thought that he was gunna be my best Physical Wall in next gen and I couldn't have been more right. Honestly and I will admit his stats are average but his ability all but makes up for it. so here is my set up

Nature: Impish (Spec Atk Dwn // Def Up)
Ability: Fur Coat (duh)
Evs: Hp 196 (Bulk)
Atk 60 (Just enough)
Def 252 (MAX IT OUT)

(As far as Ivs i never really bother with these but obviously us want the bulky ones)

Hold Item: Chople Berry (Lucario Close combat Pff Plz)

Moves: (Its kinda like a STOP Flinching me set)
Headbutt
Cottongaurd
Thunderwave
Sucker Punch

This little guy have won me many games (tanking MEGA T-Tars and other Beater that just aren't expecting him to do a thing) I can even switch him in on fighting pokes and T-wave them, afterwards I just cotton up and or headbutt them to flinch em.

Don't judge a book by it cover folks this poke is pretty special.

Question, how does its ability affect Psyshock/Secret Sword? They hit defense, but does Fur Coat actually double defense like Pure Power does Attack, or does it just half incoming physical attacks, and sice Psyshock is a special move, it won't make any difference? This is important, I think.

Question, how does its ability affect Psyshock/Secret Sword? They hit defense, but does Fur Coat actually double defense like Pure Power does Attack, or does it just half incoming physical attacks, and sice Psyshock is a special move, it won't make any difference? This is important, I think.
It will not affect them since it only halves damage from physical moves.

But why is Furfrou staying in on Latios/Alakazam/Keldeo anyways?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)