Pokémon Furfrou

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will not affect them since it only halves damage from physical moves.

But why is Furfrou staying in on Latios/Alakazam/Keldeo anyways?
I was thinking about Assault Vest Furfrou, what with 75 HP and 90 Special Defense to go with that incredible physical bulk.

I mean it has enough viable attacks and overall bulk, lacking on the special side, to make it work.

I'm not totally sure why everyone has been hyping up Cotton Guard. What's the point of boosting your own defense if you know the moment your opponent sees Furfou it's going to switch to a Special Attacker? Why not take advantage of that? I think Furfou's strength as a Bulky Pivot and Phazer are underestimated.

Support Poodle
Furfrou @ Leftovers
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)
~ Return
~ Baby-Doll Eyes
~ Thunder Wave / Toxic
~ U-Turn

The intention of this set is to come in on a physical attacker, and if you think they might switch, use your status move of choice to cripple their special attacker/wall/whatever. Then you can pivot out with U-Turn, rinse, and repeat. And what's better is that if you predict their physical attacker will stay in, you can use priority Baby-Doll Eyes to cripple them without losing momentum and possible force a switch, at which time you can pivot out again with U-Turn or use status.

My question about Furfrou is whether crits negate the effects of Fur Coat... If that's the case, furfrou is 100% screwed against any critical hit.

I'm not totally sure why everyone has been hyping up Cotton Guard. What's the point of boosting your own defense if you know the moment your opponent sees Furfou it's going to switch to a Special Attacker? Why not take advantage of that? I think Furfou's strength as a Bulky Pivot and Phazer are underestimated.

Support Poodle
Furfrou @ Leftovers
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)
~ Return
~ Baby-Doll Eyes
~ Thunder Wave / Toxic
~ U-Turn

The intention of this set is to come in on a physical attacker, and if you think they might switch, use your status move of choice to cripple their special attacker/wall/whatever. Then you can pivot out with U-Turn, rinse, and repeat. And what's better is that if you predict their physical attacker will stay in, you can use priority Baby-Doll Eyes to cripple them without losing momentum and possible force a switch, at which time you can pivot out again with U-Turn or use status.
This probably is the best set our furry friend could hope to run. With the right support, I could totally see this being used in OU, though being walled by Ghost types pretty hard isn't exactly the best thing. And, STAB Return off of a meh 80 Atk stat isn't really that great. I'd honestly be somewhat inclined to take off Return for Rest or something to give some reliable-ish recovery. At best, he'll most likely be RU, but I can see him being somewhat effective in higher tiers due to the current metagame being somewhat deficient of Fighting types thanks to a certain suicidal bird. Speaking of which:

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Furfrou: 115-136 (32.4 - 38.4%)

Not bad. Now if he had some reliable recovery...

It kind of suffers the same problems Snorlax has except as a physical wall instead of special wall, but higher speed instead of attack/hp. (Though Snorlax does have the option for poison immunity with it's ability). Eviolite Porygon2 makes a much better wall with better coverage, decent sp. atk, excellent bulk on both defenses, an ability that makes it capable of switching in on many strong threats like Heatran, and a good recovery move to boot (only really missing out on the ability to phaze and Uturn). Physically Defensive Porygon2 hits pretty close to Furfrou's defense with Eviolite (459 vs. Furfrou's 480).

Doubles seems to be a better place for Furfrou though with it's high speed, priority attack decrease in baby-doll eyes, and snarl to migitate his lower special defense which gives it a bit of a niche from Klefki and Meowstic (don't really know how much it'll help it though, screens are usually better though).

Last edited:
I was looking at this, and I was wondering how a moveset like this would work:

Furfrou @ Leftovers
~Work Up
~Return
~Snarl
~Baby-Doll Eyes / U-Turn

You come in on a physical attacker, and Work Up as they switch to a special attacker or Ghost, which you then greet the next turn with a boosted Snarl to cripple their Sp. Attack and/or hit for SE damage. You can then attack or use Work Up again if they have to switch again and go from there.

I'm not sure what the best nature or EVs for this set would be, since you're relying on just about every stat you have to make this set work.

Well, I'm not very big into the competitive battling scene yet, so feel free to point out all the reasons why this set sucks.

I don't think anyone's mentioned Confide yet. Alongside it's incredible physical bulk and decent Speed it could help out its good SpD too with Confide and/or force a switch into your hazards if you have any up. I would guess you'd run Jolly on it if you did that? Thoughts?

I don't think anyone's mentioned Confide yet. Alongside it's incredible physical bulk and decent Speed it could help out its good SpD too with Confide and/or force a switch into your hazards if you have any up. I would guess you'd run Jolly on it if you did that? Thoughts?
Snarl does the same thing, but does damage (and can multitarget in doubles/triples). I don't think it would completely solve it's just average special bulk though in an OU metagame, which doesn't cut it if you don't have a recovery move and have to deal with hazard damage every switch in.

Last edited:
Furfrou is surprisingly sturdy. Here's an anecdote: I was just running Mega-Heracross, and I had both a Moxie Attack Boost and Sticky Web out, so I was planning a sweep. Going up against Furfrou (I completely overlooked its ability), I used Arm Thrust, and not only did Rocky Helmet bite me in the ass, but I couldn't even OHKO it. Sure, I was running Jolly to take full advantage of Sticky Web, but taking a +1 STAB Supereffective move off of a Base 185 Attack and still surviving is nothing to sneeze at. With Rocky Helmet, it completely decimated my Heracross, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Kangaskhan potentially be stopped in its tracks either.

EDIT:
Arm Thrust has 15 base power per hit, which with Skill Link yields a... base 75 power move.

Yeah, stick with Close Combat. Arm Thrust is a terrible move, even on Mega Heracross.

+1 252 Atk Mega Heracross Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Furfrou: 378-445 (106.7 - 125.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 Atk Mega Heracross Brick Break (same BP as five hits from Arm Thrust) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Furfrou: 237-279 (66.9 - 78.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Close Combat is better. Wow, I'm a n00b. But still, that's solid stuff regardless that Furfou can resist that. Even with Close Combat, while it's a OHKO, with Reflect support from something like Klefki, Furfrou can potentially tank some stuff.

Last edited:
Due to Furfrou's lack of reliable recovery and combination of good bulk / great speed, I believe that Furfrou's ideal set would be functioning as a Rest-Talk Phazer.

Rest-Talk Phazerfrou

Furfrou @ Leftovers
EVs: 252HP / 4Def / 252Spe
Jolly Nature
Rest
Sleep Talk
Roar
Return/Toxic

The main point of this set is to take advantage of sleep talk making roar's priority go from -6 to 0. This in conjunction with Furfrou's decent speed allows you to outspeed many threats and immediately force them out without even giving them a chance to attack (Unless they have a priority move or magic bounce/guard.) For this reason, it must be jolly natured and invest in 252 speed EV's. The rest of the EV's would be spent on maximizing its good bulk through its HP. Return is the preferred secondary move to maximize his potential damage output, toxic can be great for crippling tanks. You generally wanna run this set with Pokemon that can set up many entry hazards such as Forretres, spin blockers, and Pokemon that can get rid of common flying type defogers such as electric types like Rotom-W.

Last edited:
I was thinking about using Furfrou as a combo wall and revenge killer.
Item: Rocky Helmet or Leftovers
Nature: Careful
EV's: 252 SpDef, 252 Def, 4 HP
Moveset: Cotton Guard, Snarl, Retaliate, U-turn
With this set, you can send him in, revenge kill with STAB double power retaliate, and then set up with Cotton Guard and Snarl, then tank hits and have decent coverage with Snarl/Retaliate, or swap out using U-turn if they send out something he can't handle. Rocky Helmet will make them take damage from phys hitting you, or Leftovers for passive regen.

Other than it being an absolute monster of a physical wall due to Fur Coat, I can't really see this thing really doing anything else. It's a fast little sucker too, so it could potentially pass status around like the plague. A double-status Furfrou with Toxic and T-Wave, then Return and a filler move. Full investment in HP and split the other 252 EVs between Sp. Defense and Defense, with the rest in Speed. It's fast enough to not really need any investments in Speed, and it needs all the help it can get in defenses if it wants to pass as much status and misery as it can.

You can make a ridiculously obnoxious set with Cotton Guard / Headbutt / Thunderwave and try to get people to ragequit. That's probably the only way Furfrou is ever going to win matches.
Then make it's item a King's Rock, and it's just GG obnoxious pownage! XD gonna have to do that when my friend gets Y version! For the last move, maybe... U-turn? That way if they send out something like Alakazam to spec sweep you, you do lots of damage (for Furfrou, that is) and switch to something better suited to Alakazam.

Seems like a careful nature would be the best nature to run Furfrou on, because anyone who knows a thing about Furfrou is going to use special attacks instead of physical, and the little doggy poodle thing is never going to use SpAtk moves.

No one's mentioned that anything with Mold Breaker tears Furfrou to shreds. Even down in NU, Fraxure with its 117 Attack, Outrage, and Superpower can deal a huge chunk to it.

DD:
+1 252 Atk Fraxure Outrage vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Furfrou: 376-444 (106.21 - 125.42%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 Atk Fraxure Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Furfrou: 268-316 (75.7 - 89.26%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

You can't use him to stop Fraxure once he's got a DD up.

CB:
Outrage: 116.94 - 137.57%, Superpower: 155.93 - 183.61%, Aqua Tail: 58.47 - 68.92%, Dragon Claw: 77.96 - 91.8%
252+ Atk Choice Band Fraxure Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Furfrou: 552-650 (155.93 - 183.61%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Outrage: 83.33 - 98.3%, Superpower: 111.29 - 131.07%, Aqua Tail: 41.52 - 49.15%, Dragon Claw: 55.36 - 65.53%
252+ Atk Choice Band Fraxure Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Furfrou: 394-464 (111.29 - 131.07%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I don't know if Mold Breaker Sawk and Throh are available from Friend Safari, but if they are, they'll also make our poodle friend very very sad.

No one's mentioned that anything with Mold Breaker tears Furfrou to shreds. Even down in NU, Fraxure with its 117 Attack, Outrage, and Superpower can deal a huge chunk to it.

DD:
+1 252 Atk Fraxure Outrage vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Furfrou: 376-444 (106.21 - 125.42%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 Atk Fraxure Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Furfrou: 268-316 (75.7 - 89.26%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

You can't use him to stop Fraxure once he's got a DD up.

CB:
Outrage: 116.94 - 137.57%, Superpower: 155.93 - 183.61%, Aqua Tail: 58.47 - 68.92%, Dragon Claw: 77.96 - 91.8%
252+ Atk Choice Band Fraxure Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Furfrou: 552-650 (155.93 - 183.61%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Outrage: 83.33 - 98.3%, Superpower: 111.29 - 131.07%, Aqua Tail: 41.52 - 49.15%, Dragon Claw: 55.36 - 65.53%
252+ Atk Choice Band Fraxure Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Furfrou: 394-464 (111.29 - 131.07%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I don't know if Mold Breaker Sawk and Throh are available from Friend Safari, but if they are, they'll also make our poodle friend very very sad.

They both are, but no one runs either of those in OU anyways so.

My +6 212 Atk 31/31/31/x/31/31 Adamant nature Mega Mawile got tanked by a Rocky Helmet Furfrou the other day...

To my recollection it had.

Furfrou @ Rocky Helmet
- Swagger
- Return
- Rest
- Cotton Guard

Due to law of large numbers if you are confused while its sleeping... you're probably going to hit yourself at least once during the battle. It can retreat once it fights a special attacker switch-ins, while leaving them confused, which can really suck.

Now I want to try that against Mega Kanga, lol.

Are we sure that Mold Breaker nullifies Fur Coat?

Well, most likely. Serebii seems to say no, but I take that with a grain of salt due to their abilitydex not being divided by generation. There's also no sign of any new Gen 6 abilities in the list of things Mold Breaker effects, so it can be assumed it has not been updated.

Due to abilities such as Filter, Wonder Guard, Thick Fat, and Heatproof being deactivated by Mold Breaker (All abilities that reduce/nullify moves) it's likely that Fur Coat is blocked by it as well.

Mold Breaker does nullify Abilities that hinder the user's moves, so it would make sense that Mold Breaker does in fact break through Fur Coat. That means some sweepers (by some, I mean Haxorus, the rare Mold Breaker Excadrill, maybe Hawlucha and Pangoro) can bypass Furfrou's physical walling abilities...making it risky to use as a wall. Besides them, Furfrou is a walk in the park to use.

Mold Breaker does nullify Abilities that hinder the user's moves, so it would make sense that Mold Breaker does in fact break through Fur Coat. That means some sweepers (by some, I mean Haxorus, the rare Mold Breaker Excadrill, maybe Hawlucha and Pangoro) can bypass Furfrou's physical walling abilities...making it risky to use as a wall. Besides them, Furfrou is a walk in the park to use.
Hey, just pointing this out, but Mold Breaker Excadrill is now more common than Sand Rush Excadrill. And Hawlucha is almost always running Unburden so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)