Pokémon Espeon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was having amazing success with this Espeon set, but it's suddenly less useful now as more and more people are using Genesect and very offensive stealth rock users like Landorus-T.

Espeon @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Psyshock
- Signal Beam / Shadow Ball / Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

This is barely different from the old offensive set with Protect, but I found that bouncing something then subbing let me get easy 2HKOs on all sorts of things you wouldn't think Espeon should be fighting.

I was having amazing success with this Espeon set, but it's suddenly less useful now as more and more people are using Genesect and very offensive stealth rock users like Landorus-T.

Espeon @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Psyshock
- Signal Beam / Shadow Ball / Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

This is barely different from the old offensive set with Protect, but I found that bouncing something then subbing let me get easy 2HKOs on all sorts of things you wouldn't think Espeon should be fighting.
I use a similar set just Modest and with MorningSun over Sub. The choice of Shadowball over something else isnhard but at least you can hit Heatran who would otherwise wall a set with SignalBeam or Dazzling Gleam

I use a Supportive Espeon with the Dual Screen set. She has served me well from Gen V to Gen VI and from my tests on the simulator, she is able to handle herself for a few turns if push comes to shove.

Espeon @ Light Clay
Bold Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpA
- Light Screen
- Psychic
- Reflect
- Shadow Ball

She isn't meant to be a lead, but rather a counter to be sent out in the right moment where the opponent plans on to cripple one of your essential components as she lacks in the the offensive spectrum in comparison to the Special Sweeper variant. The bulk she has and predicting the switch helps buy time to set up a screen in which she can absorb 2-3 SE hits (depending on the boost or investment in the offensive stat) or 4-5 neutral hits.

The 200 Def brings her at about 226, evening out with her SpD while being accompanied by a respectable 310 SpA (if all are at Max IVs). This really helps if you can afford to keep her in and punch a hole or two in something she can survive.

The only time I end up losing her in an instance is if I commit an error on a prediction as I am still trying to get used to calling it right at times. An example of this is when I switch in on a Galvantula that I assumed was going to drop Sticky Web, but instead used Bug Buzz.

She has served me well these past two generations and I felt like sharing it.

Last edited:
It's really not all bad for Espy. The weather nerf makes a pure bulk set with Morning Sun much more viable. Dazzling Gleam is essentially a better Signal Beam.

With the rise of Bulky Offense, Espeon gain more opportunity to set up CM or screens, and status has become somewhat more widespread giving Magic Bounce more reason to exist.

That said, I must say I'm surprised by how much usage it's been getting. IMO this gen put Psychic in leagues with Rock and Ice as one of the worst defensive typings in the game, and offensively it's sort of meh. As such, I've had trouble fitting it on my teams.

To a large extent, Espeon isn't psychic type, it's Magic Bounce type.

At the start of this generation, there were a ton of extremely predictable status and stealth rock users. For a while, every Rotom-W lead with will-o-wisp, every Klefki was status, and every Ferrothorn started with rocks and seeds. I think the huge increase in Espeon use came from that.

Consider bouncing a Stealth Rock from a Ferrothorn then setting up a substitute while it switches out. You get a free Stealth Rock, the equivalent of a Rapid Spin, and one or two hits off of 130 SpA with pretty good coverage. I can't think of anything that swings the game in your favor so much so fast.

Landorus-Therian, Thundurus, and Excadrill are all much more common ways to do these things now, so Espeon is less useful. I think you'll see its useage slowly drop off as people adjust to this.

I use a similar set just Modest and with MorningSun over Sub. The choice of Shadowball over something else isnhard but at least you can hit Heatran who would otherwise wall a set with SignalBeam or Dazzling Gleam
252+ SpA Choice Specs Espeon Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Heatran: 153-180 (47.3 - 55.7%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO
Shadow Ball is never getting through Heatran. I run a simplistic set of Choice Specs with Timid, 252 Speed / 252 SpA / 4 HP, with the moves Psychic / Signal Beam / Hidden Power [Ground] / Baton Pass. Calcs:
252 SpA Choice Specs Espeon Hidden Power Ground vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 272-324 (70.4 - 83.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Heatran Lava Plume vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Espeon: 114-135 (41.9 - 49.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Espeon Hidden Power Ground vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Klefki: 222-262 (69.8 - 82.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 Atk Klefki Foul Play vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Espeon: 106-126 (38.9 - 46.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Espeon Hidden Power Ground vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Mawile: 204-242 (67.1 - 79.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Espeon: 498-588 (183 - 216.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO (lol)
252 SpA Choice Specs Espeon Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Lucario: 294-346 (104.6 - 123.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Adaptability Mega Lucario Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Espeon: 144-170 (52.9 - 62.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I personally prefer Ground and Specs.

To answer the question posed by the writer of this thread: YES. Espeon still has a niche in OU as being the best support magic bouncer (Xatu sucks and Mega-Absol is a frail as shit offensive Poke)

After about 3 calm minds stored power kills EVERYTHING! I still don't get the math of it tho :/ Can someone gladly explain? :D

After about 3 calm minds stored power kills EVERYTHING! I still don't get the math of it tho :/ Can someone gladly explain? :D
Stored Power have a base power of 20 and it's increased by 20 for each stat boost on the user. So with 3 Calm minds you have 20 + 20*6 (3 Sp.Atk and 3 Sp.Def) = 140 BP before STAB, so 210 efter STAB. That's why Espeon is used on a baton pass team. So if you recive +2 in every stat thats a 390 BP STAB move comming of from 130 base Sp.Atk and that's going to OHKO everything that's not a Dark type.

Stored Power have a base power of 20 and it's increased by 20 for each stat boost on the user. So with 3 Calm minds you have 20 + 20*6 (3 Sp.Atk and 3 Sp.Def) = 140 BP before STAB, so 210 efter STAB. That's why Espeon is used on a baton pass team. So if you recive +2 in every stat thats a 390 BP STAB move comming of from 130 base Sp.Atk and that's going to OHKO everything that's not a Dark type.
Hey thanks for explaining! I was surprised when my +3 stored power 1HKO'd genesect,klefki, ect. Now it makes a lot of sense so again thanks you! ^-^

To a large extent, Espeon isn't psychic type, it's Magic Bounce type.
This. Espeon has the best ability in the game and is arguably the best user of that ability. Xatu is fanboy stuff and absol has to megavolve.

However, terrible typings like psychic can be used to your advantage because they make your opponent more predictable; bounce a ferrothorn stealth rock and you know exactly what is about to switch in, at which point you'd double switch to lucario or conk or something.

This. Espeon has the best ability in the game and is arguably the best user of that ability. Xatu is fanboy stuff and absol has to megavolve.

However, terrible typings like psychic can be used to your advantage because they make your opponent more predictable; bounce a ferrothorn stealth rock and you know exactly what is about to switch in, at which point you'd double switch to lucario or conk or something.
Espeon pairs well with a spinner to ensure there will be NO hazards on the field for example (espeon & donphan, which is what I use ^-^)

Using Espeon on W2 currently as a dual screener. Might just replace one of it's attacks with Dazzling Gleam to give it a bit of Fairy firepower, but it's role as a lead will remain the same.

Calm mind Espeon seems to be the best variant of this thing at the moment especially with defog destroying your screens.
Send the boosts to Mega luke or greninja and see what happens to the opponents team.

Dude lol.
Magic Bounce is clearly an awesome ability. But Psychic is way, too, bad as typing defensively.
Bringing a special Espeon against a Ferrothorn or anything that can set up entry is still gimmicky as you can take in a physical Stab, and Espeon really cannot afford that, he can't even surely OHKO Ferro with HP fire but still take 70% against Gyro Ball and Power Whip.
Ghost and Dark become more popular, Knock off especially, Espeon lives a hard time switching in. His stats are really bad placed for a Magic Bounce user which should last.
The weaknesses in Pursuit and U-Turn are huge drawbacks, forcing you either to switch letting momentum to the opponent (while the use of a Magic Bouncer is to gain momentum yourself), or run a Baton Pass/dead set.

Specs Espeon apart for the first surprise attack shouldn't be used, especially in high levels.

Are there any good cores involving Espeon this gen? It used to be my signature mon back in Gen 5, but I'm having a hard time finding a spot for it on my teams.

The support set seems to work really well with Vested Conkeldurr and Orb Greninja. Covering them really well and making them feel bulkier than normal. It's nice, including Megas like Mega Pinsir and such, it could work really well.

The reason I use Espeon on my OU team is for dealing with hazard setters and Klefki. Especially Klefki, as it's pretty much helpless once I bounce its T-Waves or Swaggers back at it.

The reason I use Espeon on my OU team is for dealing with hazard setters and Klefki. Especially Klefki, as it's pretty much helpless once I bounce its T-Waves or Swaggers back at it.
I never thought about it like that...plus with Team Preview, you know people are going to send out Klefki first if they have one. That's really smart.

Are there any good cores involving Espeon this gen? It used to be my signature mon back in Gen 5, but I'm having a hard time finding a spot for it on my teams.
Has anyone tried Mandibuzz? The Dark/Flying typing should do well against dark, ghost and bug. You can invest Physical Def EVs into it so it can also take the common physical attacks that might come your way. Sraggy might work too, but isn't considered as good right now.

I never thought about it like that...plus with Team Preview, you know people are going to send out Klefki first if they have one. That's really smart.
It's better to save Espeon in the back. If you send it out first they might switch out. I start with a normal lead then switch Espeon in on the first turn to catch them off guard.

Last edited:
It's better to save Espeon in the back. If you send it out first they might switch out. I start with a normal lead then switch Espeon in on the first turn to catch them off guard.
What I usually do is lead with Forretress, and switch into Espeon if they send Klefki or a hazard setter out as their lead.

I think the best set is dual screens + baton pass.

Last move is your choice between an attack, wish, or moonlight.

Stat spread... I run 252hp/252spd+ to consistently switch into rotom-W, but sometimes I opt for 252hp/252speed for faster screens.

Keeps really good offensive momentum in this gen's meta.

I used to run Dual Screens Espeon back in Gen 5, but now that Deoxy-S has dropped down from ubers (for now at least) and Klefki is a thing that exists, it isn't quite as good at its job anymore.

I've been using Calm Mind Baton Pass Espeon, with a few changes. Switch into a status or hazard move, CM on the switch, then pass it onto one of my special sweepers (Megazard Y really enjoys a +1 boost).

...Why does Game Freak only give two Pokemon Magic Bounce? (Well, and Megabsol.) Seriously, give it to something that can actually make good defensive use of it.

With genesect gone, I'm seeing espeon a lot on the ladder. Also due to genesect's banning, deoxys-d is becoming (more) popular as a lead, and espeon absolutely counters it in every sense. I think that is about the extent of it's usefulness, though, considering the fact that espeon is very frail, and also has a poor typing for the current metagame. Granted, it's offense is very useable, so it can contribute to the team it's on in more than one way.

In my opinion, it just doesn't last long enough. It's very easy to just lead with something else, take it out, and proceed to set up hazards freely. If you're going to use espeon, I'd suggest also carrying a spinner or defogger because magic bounce is relatively easy to play around, and espeon is very frail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)