Victim Of The Week V2

taken over from Electrolyte

Victim Of The Week aims to serve as a discussion thread for dealing with the top threats of the LC metagame, especially potential suspects. A new victim will be chosen each week for people to discuss how to deal with that specific threat in terms of checking, countering, revenge killing, preparing, and other concepts like that. At the end of the week, a comprehensive guide detailing how to beat that Pokemon will be made based on the discussion in the thread.

Also, if you have not already read this article, read What are Checks and Counters? and make sure you are familiar with the concepts in it, as they are relevant to the discussion in this thread.

Past victims:
Swirlix

Last edited:
The 1st victim is Swirlix

Important notes to consider:
  • Swirlix has 3 different common sets that often require different Pokemon for each: Belly Drum, Cotton Guard, and Calm Mind
  • Pokemon that are able to revenge-kill Swirlix after an Unburden boost are particularly notable as Swirlix is very challenging to revenge with 28 Speed.
  • Swirlix is actually quite bulky for an offensive Pokemon, although Belly Drum cuts down its survivability.

Foongus and grimer would have to be the top picks for checking swirlix, as the nigh uncounterable mon needs the uncommon psychic on the cm set to even have a chance at beating these two.

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Recycle/Berry Juice Magnemite counters BD lacking Thief, and checks Calm Mind.

scarf elekid cant ohko with tbolt, maybe thunder? thunder does like 75% lol

As most Swirlix come in on something with the intention of setting up, Cottonee and Purrloin serve as good checks with priority encore, each having their advantages. Both can substitute on a switch and then paralyze the incoming target (Purrloin has the advantage of being able to paralyze grass types with 100% accuracy, while Cottonee can paralyze ground types like gligar, but at only 75% accuracy), but Purrloin can hit hard immediately with STAB Foul Play, while Cottonee can recover lost health with Giga Drain.

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I'm probably forgetting something, but I feel as if Foongus isn't the best of Swirlix checks.
204+ SpA Swirlix Flamethrower vs. 124 HP / 76 SpD Eviolite Foongus: 12-16 (48 - 64%) -- 96.5% chance to 2HKO
Foongus will not enjoy switching into Flamethrower.

Adding to the list of poison types, I would like to mention Koffing. Its high physical bulk lets it take one return from a +6 swirlix and KO with Sludge Bomb. CM variants of Swirlix are beaten by a combination of Clear Smog and Sludge Bomb, while Koffing manages to avoid the 2HKO from +1 Flamethrower.

STRONG CHECKS/COUNTERS
The set I've come to use the most in safely dealing with Swirlix is Hazekrow. At worst, you will trade one for one when dealing with Swirlix use Hazekrow. After Hazing, nothing Swirlix throws at you will OHKO, and after wards you can Thunderwave safely or switch to something else if it's Belly Drum. Unboosted and paralyzed Swirlix is basically a piece of shit. This set's main use it beating Cotton Guard + Calm Mind Swirlix. Draining Kiss barely does 56%, which you can Roost off easily while waiting for paralysis.

The second best way is Paraflinch Slowpoke. Slowpoke can survive +6 Play Rough as well as +2 Dazzling Gleam with ease. Paralysis and Zen Headbutt can easily chunk it for a good amount with a 38% chance to paralyze or flinch. While you don't always beat Swirlix 1 vs 1, at worst you will trade 1 for 1.

Foongus is an obvious one... But TBH it's not 100% reliable. If you run Clear Smog you lose 1 vs 1 to Belly Drum, and if you run Sludge Bomb you lose to Calm Mind. But it's a decent check.

Grimer is the last counter/check that is decently reliable. It can OHKO with Gunk Shot and still even pose a threat to +6 def due to it's resistance to Draining Kiss' healing capabilities and strong poison stab. It can survive any boosted Swirlix move, and would probably only lose to some retarded Psychic + CG set which is shit.

WEAK CHECKS
Already mentioned before, but Prankster Cottonee and Purrloin (trash is irrelevant) is a decent way to deal with Cottonee. You can swap it in if it tries to set up, forcing it out. If they actually attack, then you can Giga Drain, putting them in KO range of other moves without activating Berry Juice. Obviously a very flimsy check, but with the right mindgames played, it can be effective.

Magnemite on paper looks decent, but in practice can only check Belly Drum Swirlix. Magnemite cannot OHKO a +1 sdef Swirlix, and Swirlix can break Sturdy with a Fairy move and then OHKO the next turn with Flamethrower. If you have CM Swirlix covered then Magnemites a great candidate for dealing with BD.

Aron? It beats most Swirlix sets (Roar for CG)... But it's not too terrible viable when facing teams without Swirlix. It's OK I guess, but there are dozens of things I'd use before Aron. The same thing applies for Koffing and Wooper, it works but it's not that great overall outside of dealing with Swirly.

REVENGERS
Life Orb Meditite is a decent revenger of the BD and Calm Mind set. Unfortunately many players like myself have taken up the habit of using either Cotton Guard or Protect on their Swirlix sets, rendering Meditite fairy ineffective.

Fletchling's no item Acrobatics is amazingly powerful, being the strongest priority move in the metagame outside of things like Life Orb/Banded Sucker Punches. Fletchling can easily revenge Swirlix from around 70%. It's only a revenger and not a counter or a reliable check though, being unable to switch in on Swirlix setting up. Banded Bunnelby's Quick Attack is in the same category of strength as Fletchling's Acrobatics as well.

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love
STRONG CHECKS/COUNTERS
The set I've come to use the most in safely dealing with Swirlix is Hazekrow. At worst, you will trade one for one when dealing with Swirlix use Hazekrow. After Hazing, nothing Swirlix throws at you will OHKO, and after wards you can Thunderwave safely or switch to something else if it's Belly Drum. Unboosted and paralyzed Swirlix is basically a piece of shit. This set's main use it beating Cotton Guard + Calm Mind Swirlix. Draining Kiss barely does 56%, which you can Roost off easily while waiting for paralysis.

The second best way is Paraflinch Slowpoke. Slowpoke can survive +6 Play Rough as well as +2 Dazzling Gleam with ease. Paralysis and Zen Headbutt can easily chunk it for a good amount with a 38% chance to paralyze or flinch. While you don't always beat Swirlix 1 vs 1, at worst you will trade 1 for 1.

Foongus is an obvious one... But TBH it's not 100% reliable. If you run Clear Smog you lose 1 vs 1 to Belly Drum, and if you run Sludge Bomb you lose to Calm Mind. But it's a decent check.

Grimer is the last counter/check that is decently reliable. It can OHKO with Gunk Shot and still even pose a threat to +6 def due to it's resistance to Draining Kiss' healing capabilities and strong poison stab. It can survive any boosted Swirlix move, and would probably only lose to some retarded Psychic + CG set which is shit.

WEAK CHECKS
Already mentioned before, but Prankster Cottonee and Purrloin (trash is irrelevant) is a decent way to deal with Cottonee. You can swap it in if it tries to set up, forcing it out. If they actually attack, then you can Giga Drain, putting them in KO range of other moves without activating Berry Juice. Obviously a very flimsy check, but with the right mindgames played, it can be effective.

Magnemite on paper looks decent, but in practice can only check Belly Drum Swirlix. Magnemite cannot OHKO a +1 sdef Swirlix, and Swirlix can break Sturdy with a Fairy move and then OHKO the next turn with Flamethrower. If you have CM Swirlix covered then Magnemites a great candidate for dealing with BD.

Aron? It beats most Swirlix sets (Roar for CG)... But it's not too terrible viable when facing teams without Swirlix. It's OK I guess, but there are dozens of things I'd use before Aron. The same thing applies for Koffing and Wooper, it works but it's not that great overall outside of dealing with Swirly.

REVENGERS
Life Orb Meditite is a decent revenger of the BD and Calm Mind set. Unfortunately many players like myself have taken up the habit of using either Cotton Guard or Protect on their Swirlix sets, rendering Meditite fairy ineffective.

Fletchling's no item Acrobatics is amazingly powerful, being the strongest priority move in the metagame outside of things like Life Orb/Banded Sucker Punches. Fletchling can easily revenge Swirlix from around 70%. It's only a revenger and not a counter or a reliable check though, being unable to switch in on Swirlix setting up. Banded Bunnelby's Quick Attack is in the same category of strength as Fletchling's Acrobatics as well.
Wobby it's like post one or 2 counters/checks, not steal all the ones Glass was gonna use ;-;. But wobbles basically summed it all up. Although I found Woby's haze krow set pretty clutch, albeit a little based to be one of the best answers to swirlix. I personally stick to grimer or tryna revenge it w/ LO tite when swirlix comes into play. Although I've also found defensive firedoge a pretty good check against swirl as well. Survives anything at +5 and will-o-wisps it back, essentially weakening it/crippling it for the rest of the match

Anthiese

formerly Jac
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
STRONG CHECKS/COUNTERS

WEAK CHECKS

REVENGERS

DID YOU JUST FUCKING CALL PURRLOIN TRASH?! (lol i jk)

it's actually a weaker check than cottonee since weak to dgleam :p i mean you can para it on the stat boost adn then encore the stat boost adn wittle it down with knock off but how far are you getting? nowhere.

ususally i just pray i outspeed with scarfpawn unless it's bd. then i just tryh my luck with spritzee. bd swirl is too fucking hard to revenge

Since pretty much all of the counters and checks have been listed, I will talk about good ways to try to avoid setup, and good ways to make sure some of these counters successfully counter swirlix.

When encountering swirlix on a team: Whenever you are laddering on the ladder, or you are in a tourny match, you may see a swirlix and go "Oh crap i am screwed". Not anymore! I will tell you best ways to avoid it setting up. If you see this thing in the team preview, never lead off with something swirlix can set up on. Swirlix may be bulky, but it dies to a lot of common pokemon too. Lead off with a Magnemite, or a Murkrow, shell smash Tirtouga etc. Something that can successfully beat swirlix one on one and keep it froming setting up is the best thing to lead off with.

Now if your in the middle of a match and your opponent still has a Swirlix, you can still try to avoid setup. good ways to this is to make sure you have a move like u-turn or volt switch, or even baton pass on a pokemon. This way you can use them when you think he will switch out, and you can keep your momentum and switch into something that doesn't let him set up.

Another great thing to have on your team is thunderwave. Lets say a swirlix switches into your slowpoke, since slowpoke is to weak to beat him before swirlix sets up. Well, instead of switching while he is belly drummiing or calm minding, use thunder wave. thunderwave will make swirlix only have 7 speed after unburden, so you will definitely outspeed it. The problem with this is that Cotton Guard Calm Mind swirlix with draining kiss can still wreck teams even when slow because it will successfully take hits and recover back up. Besides for that though, think of packing t-wave on one of your pokemon to try to stop sweeps.

Other notable ways to keep Swirlix from sweeping is encore users, forcus sash users, and sturdyjuice users. The way to use encore is to use it when you predict swirlix will set up. Notable user of this is Cottonee. There is always the focus sash users once it is set up, but the only reliable sash pokemon once stealth rocks set up is sash abra, with magic guard. FInally there are sturdyjuicers, like tirtouga and magnemite. If you have successfully kept hazards off your field you can have 2 lives with a pokemon through sturdy and berry juice used in combination. either set up twice with shell smash for tirtouga, or go straight for the flash cannon with magnemite.

The final way to try to beat swirlix is something that most cannot use on their team, but it is THE best counter. Trick Room. Trick room will make swirlix turn from the speedy monster, to the slowest monster. Once trick room is set up, you have four turns to take down the beast before its over and its wreaking havoc again. While trick room is not the best to use, it is certainly not the worst considering all the setup sweepers that the meta has, such as swirlix.

If you let a swirlix set up with belly drum or calm mind, all is not lost. You can try to check it if you have a meditite, but if it has protect it will beat you. The last hope for you is that you have a destiny bond pokemon. Good examples of these are Carvanha and Drifloon. While D-bond may seem gimmicky, once belly drum or calm mind is set up u will want to take it down. OF course though, the only way to be able to even use d-bond is to be faster. You would have to either get 2 protects in a row to get faster than swirlix, or use endure berry juice unburden drifloon lol. Once Swirlix is set up, you are kinda done most likely. If you want to, pack a hazecrow or thunderwavecrow. they will die to a fairy type hit but at least you get rid of the boosts.

Finally, the best way to keep your team from getting swept by a swirlix is to keep a bunch of priority, and hope he isnt a cotton guard or draining kiss variant. For example, my team had two sucker punch users, fake out user, and a bullet punch user, as well as an aqua jet user. it may seem extreme to have this much priority, but it is quite helpful in the long run for withering down a swirlix that has already set up.

While Swirlix is pretty scary, with some of these ways to go around it, you will at least have a decent shot at trying to beat it.

What not to do when encountering Swirlix: some things that don't work when seeing a swirlix are things like switching into a cleric a bunch, or switching into a wall a bunch. These are not good options, as swirlix can easily set up on these, and I'd only switch into them when you have to, and get out as soon as you can.

Another thing, don't recklessly attack a swirlix at full health. try your best to u-turn out, switch out, into your swirlix counter after setup that you hopefully have. Randomly attacking it can activate unwanted berry juices, which is not the best idea.

Honestly, I would only run offense minded teams at the moment. It is not a preference or opinoin, it is a known fact. Swirlix can sweep through stall much easier than sweeping through offense. Stall cannot use priority to check swirlix. nothing can take a +6 swirlix except full health foongus and grimer. Stall in general is just not the best playstyle to use right now solely because of setup sweepers like swirlix.

Good Teamates to Consider: There are actually many common pokemon that are good to use on a team, that can help the cause of keeping away swirlix. One of these are Gligar. Gligar can defog hazards that may help swirlix one hit ko grimer, and u-turn out too when predicting a switch into swirlix. It is not really an agressive anti-swirlix pokemon, but it is a great passive helper. You can keep the momentum while keeping hazards off your team. Another good example of this is vullaby.

Strong pokemon like life orb murkow and carvanha are reccomended. These two can both one-hit ko swirlix before it sets up. things like Gligar+Carvanha are great, as you can u-turn into carvanha predicting the switch, and then one hit ko it with life orb waterfall. There are many other pokemon like this to use, I only listed two. Go get on a calc, and figure it out :P There are most likely over 10 pokemon that can one hit ko swirlix at least.

Slowpoke and Porygon are good teamates, as they can t-wave swirlix. Once t-wave is there, powerful pokemon like the above are usually helpful, as they can now outspeed and ko swirlix.

Other than that, all the things mentioned above are great to use to beat swirlix. I am not going to keep talking about the conters already talked about, I will leave that for you guys to read above.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
ashley11 said:
Another thing, don't recklessly attack a swirlix at full health. try your best to u-turn out, switch out, into your swirlix counter after setup that you hopefully have. Randomly attacking it can activate unwanted berry juices, which is not the best idea.
Well first off, this is an excellent post that covers a lot of what you should and shouldn't do when encountering Swirlix (and its long af @_@), but I personally disagree with this. One of the reason Swirlix is so broken is because depending on the set it is running, you DO want to attack it right away. For example, if my opponent sends out a Swirlix against my (Poison Jab) Mienfoo, and I have a Pawniard waiting in the wings, I have a few different options, and only one is right depending on the set my opponent is running. If my opponents Swirlix is running Calm Mind + Coverage moves, my best bet is to U-turn or hard switch into Pawniard then finish it off with an Iron Head. However if my opponent Belly Drums as I u-turn, I just sent Pawniard in to get slaughtered by a full health +6 Swirlix and just straight up lose at that point. If my opponent is Belly Drum it is much better for me to Knock Off as they Belly Drum leaving them at less than 50% health and much easier to revenge kill with, we'll say sucker punch or bullet punch. But if this is the Cotton Guard eviolite (does Cotton Guard run evio or B juice?) my opponent just got their defense up to +3 and an unburden boost at basically no cost, now I lose :(. Finally, if I think that my opponent has a Cotton Guard Eviolite set, my best bet is to Poison Jab before the defense boost, then U turn to something to take the draining kiss and kill it (Magnemite imo). But if I Poison Jab a Calm Mind Set they are now at +1 / +1 with an unburden boost meaning that my Pawniard now loses, and my team will have a tough time checking it, if it is Belly Drum they are now at 50% health, which is better than if I U-turn, but still not the 22-27% health it would have if I used Knock Off instead.

So basically, Swirlix basically creates a mind game where you have a 2/3 chance of getting fucked unless your team is running at least two priority users (and one better be Meditite), or a sturdy user such as Magneton that can always take it on, which is why Swirlix is so hard to play around.

Last edited:
As most people have said, Bullet Punch from Meditite does a good amount to Swirlix unless it has set up a couple Cotton Guards. One other quick thing. I have found Unaware Wooper to do quite well. Without the boosts, Swirlix is relatively weak. Therefore, Wooper can just stall out and/or kill it before it Swirlix can do any real harm. At this point in time, Swirlix is quite unpredictable and can be hard to deal with as it can essentially run 3 different sets, all of which require different checks and counters.

Jesus guys, literally ALL of my ideas are up there... Honestly, in my opinion, Wobby has it right. HazeKrow has to be the single best Swirlix Check. I don't see it as a counter because safe switchin is not guaranteed. I have personally tested that set, and it is glorious. Thanks Wobby.

Thunder Wave is one of the most reliable ways of dealing with the little pink ball of cotton. Slowpoke can survive most of Swirlix's moves and Paralyze it for another member of your team to deal with it. My second favorite way of dealing with swirlix is using wooper. I love the little guy. With Unaware, it can ignore all of Swirlix boosts and just wear it down eventually. Sturdy mons with their ability intact do a decent job at stopping it.

One disadvatange of using Swirlix I feel is it's much like Drifloon, where once you bring it in and set up with it, and if you aren't positive all of its checks and counters are out of the way. You cant really switch it back out.

I know everything I stated was mentioned above. I' pretty sure there is nothing else that can be mentioned to be honest ;-;

Man you guys are missing some of the best checks: Ferroseed and Tentacool.

Ferroseed beats any Swirlix set that does not have Flamethrower, although all besides Belly Drum carry Flamethrower most of the time, and Flamethrower is somewhat common on Belly Drum as well. However, a Flamethrower from the Belly Drum set fails to OHKO Ferroseed, so Swirlix will need to inflict a bit of prior damage or hit Ferroseed on the switch to get past it.

As for Tentacool, it is a complete stop to every Swirlix set other than Belly Drum. Unless Tentacool is significantly weakened, it will not fail to counter Cotton Guard and Calm Mind Swirlix. Tentacool resists all of Fairy, Water, and Fire, and does decent damage to Swirlix with Sludge Bomb while potentially poisoning. In addition, Swirlix can not heal up against Tentacool with Draining Kiss thanks to Liquid Ooze.

Larvesta is another unmentioned check, although it is not as effective as some of the other ones. Larvesta can survive a +6 Return in a pinch while potentially burning Swirlix with Flame Body. Larvesta also beats Calm Mind Swirlix that lack Surf, and can also survive a single +1 Surf if needed. Note that Larvesta's Flare Blitz may not OHKO, especially if you use a more defensive spread. Larvesta is not very effective vs Cotton Guard Swirlix however.

You actually have to run Iron Head/Gyro Ball on Ferroseed which sucks because Bullet Seed is such a strong move on Ferro. Play Rough at +6 will 2HKO Ferroseed.

I never thought about Tentacruel as a CM Swirlix set though. Interesting.

or you can just twave the swirlix and sacrifice your ferroseed (saccing any mon while rendering swirlix nearly useless is definitely worth it)

then again, ur fucked if they are sub+belly drum or aromatherapy+belly drum

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Another fairly reliable way to check Swirlix is with strong Fake Out users. The most obvious one here is Meowth because it's actually strong. Meowth is probably the most comfortable Swirlix check because you can handle both Calm Mind and Belly Drum sets with it, which means that you don't have to pray for the best when Swirlix comes in. You can attack with whatever Pokemon you have out unless it's like Timburr, get some damage off against it, and then go from there. If it's Calm Mind and you've already triggered its Berry Juice, then you just need some chip damage to guarantee the 2HKO and can probably 2HKO anyways. If it's running Belly Drum, pretty much the same thing.

252 Atk Life Orb Technician Meowth Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Swirlix: 9-13 (40.9 - 59%) -- 88.7% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Technician Meowth Fake Out vs. 20 HP / 0 Def Swirlix: 9-13 (39.1 - 56.5%) -- 87.9% chance to 2HKO

The only way you don't 2HKO Swirlix with Fake Out is if you get the lowest possible roll two times in a row, which obviously won't happen often.

I think I only faced one Meowth in all my time laddering for reqs, and I faced a couple of Aipom that didn't really cramp my style. The only way you can possibly still lose when you're running a Fake Out user is if you're crafty like me and run Protect in the last slot on Belly Drum sets. :-)

Obviously this is by no means a counter to Swirlix because you're still going to lose a Pokemon or two in the process if you're fighting the Belly Drum sets, but considering how limited checks to Belly Drum Swirlix really are, this is plenty comfortable enough to be honest.

2HKOing with Fake Out? Does this mean you sacrifice another Pokemon to get two Fake Outs in?

Edit: though only losing one mon to Swirlix still seems pretty good

Last edited:

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I find the Slowpoke-Foongus core can deal with Belly Drum Swirlix quite well, and even Calm Mind variants to an extent. Slowpoke can switch in on Belly Drum and paralyze Swirlix as it is not OHKO'ed by Play Rough. Foongus can come in and also survive a Play Rough before undoing its boosts with a Clear Smog.

I really like the tentacool idea, If only it didnt OHKO it with return more than 50% of the time...

+6 212+ Atk Swirlix Return vs. 252 HP / 236+ Def Eviolite Tentacool: 21-25 (91.3 - 108.6%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

:/

I think that the best Swirlix counter is wooper to be honest.

76 Atk Wooper Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Swirlix: 10-13 (45.4 - 59%) -- 93.8% chance to 2HKO

212+ Atk Swirlix Play Rough vs. 236 HP / 156+ Def Eviolite Unaware Wooper: 7-10 (28 - 40%) -- 98.9% chance to 3HKO

212+ Atk Swirlix Return vs. 236 HP / 156+ Def Eviolite Unaware Wooper: 5-7 (20 - 28%) -- 18.9% chance to 4HKO

204+ SpA Swirlix Dazzling Gleam vs. 236 HP / 76 SpD Eviolite Wooper: 9-12 (36 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

204+ SpA Swirlix Flamethrower vs. 236 HP / 76 SpD Eviolite Wooper: 3-4 (12 - 16%) -- possible 7HKO

Wooper @ Eviolite
Ability: Unaware
Level: 5
EVs: 236 HP / 156 Def / 76 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Recover

It doesn't care about stat boosts. can recover off damage. Just make sure it doesnt get knocked off and you'll be fine :] I feel like more people should test Wooper.. just saying.

Foongus and grimer would have to be the top picks for checking swirlix, as the nigh uncounterable mon needs the uncommon psychic on the cm set to even have a chance at beating these two.
+1 204+ SpA Swirlix Flamethrower vs. 124 HP / 76 SpD Eviolite Foongus: 18-22 (72 - 88%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
76 SpA Foongus Sludge Bomb vs. +1 0 HP / 100 SpD Swirlix: 14-18 (63.6 - 81.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Foongus sucks at "countering" it.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

+1 204+ SpA Swirlix Flamethrower vs. 124 HP / 76 SpD Eviolite Foongus: 18-22 (72 - 88%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
76 SpA Foongus Sludge Bomb vs. +1 0 HP / 100 SpD Swirlix: 14-18 (63.6 - 81.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

also, +6 252+ Atk Swirlix Return vs. 124 HP / 156+ Def Eviolite Foongus: 21-25 (84 - 100%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Learn the difference between countering and checking before you correct someone

Looking at the variety of unaware mons Cleffa seems like an option though it does not add much to a team except being a counter to swirlix. But with unaware and sofboil/wish+protect it can counter all variants of Swirlix even cotton guard defensive variants. It could also support this team with subpar clericing. Pretty outclassed as a counter by Wooper and outclassed as a cleric by Spritzee but if you need a cleric and semi-decent Swirlix counter it could be viable. Another benefit is its typing doesn't get caught off guard by any of Swirlix's strange coverage moves so it can counter it (Except thief+Belly Drum variants cause Cleffa needs the Eviolite). Oh it can also learn T-Wave so if you're low on HP you can at least paralyze it and let another mon take it out. Here are some calcs to show my point.

208+ Atk Swirlix Play Rough vs. 196 HP / 212+ Def Eviolite Unaware Cleffa: 7-10 (29.1 - 41.6%) -- 99% chance to 3HKO
204+ SpA Swirlix Dazzling Gleam vs. 196 HP / 76 SpD Eviolite Cleffa: 7-10 (29.1 - 41.6%) -- 99% chance to 3HKO

I'm stupid only Clefable gets unaware as its hidden ability all pre-evos get friend guard... lame.

Last edited:
Learn the difference between countering and checking before you correct someone
I know the difference, it doesn't make you any more right and it doesn't make me any more wrong, Foongus can't check it at all, I made a mistake and said counter, sue me >->

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)