Victim Of The Week V2

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love

Looking at the variety of unaware mons Cleffa seems like an option though it does not add much to a team except being a counter to swirlix. But with unaware and sofboil/wish+protect it can counter all variants of Swirlix even cotton guard defensive variants. It could also support this team with subpar clericing. Pretty outclassed as a counter by Wooper and outclassed as a cleric by Spritzee but if you need a cleric and semi-decent Swirlix counter it could be viable. Another benefit is its typing doesn't get caught off guard by any of Swirlix's strange coverage moves so it can counter it (Except thief+Belly Drum variants cause Cleffa needs the Eviolite). Oh it can also learn T-Wave so if you're low on HP you can at least paralyze it and let another mon take it out. Here are some calcs to show my point.

208+ Atk Swirlix Play Rough vs. 196 HP / 212+ Def Eviolite Unaware Cleffa: 7-10 (29.1 - 41.6%) -- 99% chance to 3HKO
204+ SpA Swirlix Dazzling Gleam vs. 196 HP / 76 SpD Eviolite Cleffa: 7-10 (29.1 - 41.6%) -- 99% chance to 3HKO
but what can it do back?

I know the difference, it doesn't make you any more right and it doesn't make me any more wrong, Foongus can't check it at all, I made a mistake and said counter, sue me >->
You don't know the difference, as it is a check for both sets, as you can switch in on most moves and retaliate back either stopping the sweep with 1 move or delaying with another. and nothing can take a +6 return really and it living makes it a check since it can switch in on BD.

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus

Woobat @ Eviolite
Ability: Unaware
Level: 5
EVs: 236 HP / 92 Def / 172 SDef
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Psychic / Air Slash

204+ SpA Swirlix Dazzling Gleam vs. 236 HP / 172 SpD Eviolite Woobat: 7-10 (28 - 40%) -- 11.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
204+ SpA Swirlix Dazzling Gleam vs. 236 HP / 172 SpD Eviolite Woobat through Light Screen: 3-5 (12 - 20%) -- 0.1% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Swirlix Thief vs. 236 HP / 92+ Def Eviolite Woobat: 8-10 (32 - 40%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Swirlix Thief vs. 236 HP / 92+ Def Eviolite Woobat through Reflect: 4-5 (16 - 20%) -- 0.1% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock

gogogo woobat, beat the most OP threat with ease!

About the slashed move: Air Slash is better for checking some other setup sweepers, like Scraggy, who are immune to Psychic; however, Psychic has about a 70% better chance to 2HKO Swirlix (~85% to ~15%)

Last edited:

GlassGlaceon

Woobat @ Eviolite
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 236 HP / 92 Def / 172 SDef
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Psychic / Air Slash

204+ SpA Swirlix Dazzling Gleam vs. 236 HP / 172 SpD Eviolite Woobat: 7-10 (28 - 40%) -- 11.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
204+ SpA Swirlix Dazzling Gleam vs. 236 HP / 172 SpD Eviolite Woobat through Light Screen: 3-5 (12 - 20%) -- 0.1% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Swirlix Thief vs. 236 HP / 92+ Def Eviolite Woobat: 8-10 (32 - 40%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Swirlix Thief vs. 236 HP / 92+ Def Eviolite Woobat through Reflect: 4-5 (16 - 20%) -- 0.1% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock

gogogo woobat, beat the most OP threat with ease!

#1-special swirlix can run tbolt, so...yeah, it's a clean 2HKO w/ rocks.
#2-physical swirlix steals your eviolite with thief, might wanna include those calcs in your post

#2-physical swirlix steals your eviolite with thief, might wanna include those calcs in your post
Except it wouldn't run Thief, because you'd lose Unburden, and it doesn't run Thunderbolt ever, it runs Flamethrower / Dazzling Gleam / Surf, seriously, Thunderbolt's usage is
| Thunderbolt 6.526% |
only behind Substitute and Psychic (+Other).

Expulso

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Yes, it falls to Special TBolt Swirlix, but it can 2HKO Physical Swirlix with Psychic as well about 84% of the time.

Other than TBolt, this is a solid check imo. It has a lot more special bulk than Wooper, which is its main advantage over it, and is even better if you can keep Rocks off of your side of the field.

GlassGlaceon

Except it wouldn't run Thief, because you'd lose Unburden, and it doesn't run Thunderbolt ever, it runs Flamethrower / Dazzling Gleam / Surf, seriously, Thunderbolt's usage is
| Thunderbolt 6.526% |
then i ran into every 6% of that tbolt cuz it was on every special set i faced rofl

Can we not dig into the bottom of the barrel for counters? I understand Swirlix is a very difficult Pokemon to counter, but we should not be suggesting garbage that you would never consider on a team, like Woobat.

I apologize for being so blunt, but this thread is getting way too distracted on irrelevant tangents.

Anyways, most of the good checks have already been covered, but which ones do you consider the best as far as not only beating Swirlix, but also providing utility in other ways as well. Wobbyble's post is a good example of what I am asking here.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.

From experience, I have to say that Tentacool is probably one of the most practical switch-ins to Swirlix, and is a particularly good answer to the Cotton Guard variant, and finding decisive solutions to that thing is honestly rare.

Swirlix's most popular coverage move to use alongside its STAB has become Flamethrower. Not only does Tentacool resist both Fairy and Fire, but it also has the special bulk to put up with repeated hits and it also has a welcome offensive advantage in paying Swirlix back with STAB super effective hits with Sludge Bomb. The thing that makes Tentacool such a particularly good answer to the Cotton Guard set is Tentacool's access to the Liquid Ooze ability, which causes draining moves to damage the user instead of heal them after hitting their target, meaning the longevity provided to Swirlix by Draining Kiss is out the window without having to use up a turn or anything. This combination of offensive and defensive advantages against Swirlix makes Tentacool a very ideal team member to combat the popularity of this set in particular. I can personally vouch that this is something that is actually better in practice than it can be described on paper.

Last edited:

apt-get

it's not over 'til it's over
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
| Thunderbolt 6.526% |
Please, don't base yourself on usage stats before spouting nonsense. Thief is common on swirlix because it beats tirtouga, and Thunderbolt can be used to beat slowpoke, tentacool, skrelp, and shellos easier (since the only common thing you beat easier with surf is gligar anyway), and since you obviously have no idea what you're talking about (since you're confusing checks and counters), stop telling people they're wrong.

Thanks for the contributions, guys. I listed most of the things talked about in this thread and added a few things of my own. If you think I missed anything/some information is inaccurate please point it out, either via VM or in this thread (but if you're posting in this thread, include information relevant to the current VoTW too.)
General:
  • Unaware Wooper can counter any Swirlix set as long as its item is not Knocked Off, but has viability issues.
  • Roar Aron and Shieldon can also counter any Swirlix set, but also isn't very good outside of beating Swirlix.
  • Ferroseed can beat any set lacking Flamethrower, and lives a single Flamethrower from Belly Drum Swirlix if at full health.
  • Sturdy Pokemon like Tirtouga and Magnemite (although the latter is a bit shaky), as well as Focus Sash Abra, can check Swirlix.
  • Haze Murkrow removes Swirlix's stat boosts and paralyzes it, but takes a lot from Belly Drum / Calm Mind set's STAB moves.
  • Encore Cottonee messes up Swirlix if it tries to set up, but can only check Swirlix if it sets up
Cotton Guard:
  • This set takes a few boosts to get going, which gives you time to react if you predicted the wrong set.
  • Tentacool is possibly the best counter to Cotton Guard Swirlix. It takes very little from any of Swirlix's moves, and prevents Swirlix from healing with Draining Kiss thanks to Liquid Ooze.
  • Phazers like Munchlax and Pokemon with Clear Smog easily remove Swirlix's boosts.
  • Toxic is lethal to Cotton Guard Swirlix that lack Aromatherapy or Substitute.
  • Trick Scarf Misdreavus outspeeds Cotton Guard Swirlix even after Unburden and massively cripples it.

Belly Drum:
  • This set is the "easiest" to revenge kill as it has to lower its HP by 50% to get to +6 Attack.
  • Grimer and Koffing live +6 Return and KO Swirlix, but they are relatively easy to wear down.
  • Slowpoke and Porygon a +6 Play Rough and paralyzes Swirlix, and then dies for something else to beat the cotton candy.
  • Eviolite defensive Gligar can tank a +6 Play Rough in a pinch, but does not do much back.
  • Larvesta + Growlithe can survive +6 Return at full health, but lose if SR is up. However, they both help other Pokemon beat Swirlix even if they die: Larvesta has a chance of burning Swirlix, while Growlithe makes Swirlix slightly less powerful with Intimidate.
  • Honedge and Bronzor do not mind any of Belly Drum Swirlix's moves, but they are both vulnerable to many other common Pokemon in this metagame.
  • Life Orb Meditite with Fake Out + Bullet Punch can KO 100% HP Swirlix.
  • Strong priority users like Life Orb Bunnelby, Fletchling, and Aqua Jet Carvanha can also revenge a weakened Swirlix easily.
  • Chlorophyll Bulbasaur and 19 Speed Choice Scarf Pokemon speedtie with Swirlix.
Calm Mind:
  • Mix of the two: easy to set up, does decent damage. Not particularly hard to counter but decent nonetheless.
  • Many Pokemon can survive one of +1 Swirlix's attacks in a pinch.
  • Ponyta and Larvesta beat sets that lack Surf.
  • Munchlax takes very little from any of Swirlix's attacks while doing decent damage back.
  • Honedge beats any sets that lack Flamethrower.
  • Vulpix renders Surf neutral thanks to Drought and usually OHKO's with Fire Blast.
  • Tentacool, Skrelp, Grimer, and Koffing wall any sets that lack Psychic (or Thunderbolt in Tentacool and Skrelp's case).

This post describes how to prevent Swirlix from setting up. Swirlix needs to set up to actually accomplish anything significant, but preventing it from setting up is a very hard task in the first place.

Our next victim:

Important notes to consider:
  • Murkrow can run many, many different sets, although the one most difficult to counter is Life Orb with Brave Bird / Sucker Punch / Heat Wave / Icy Wind or Hidden Power Ice.
  • Life Orb Murkrow kills itself very fast, especially if Stealth Rock is on the field, so it has trouble playing the wear down checks game.
  • Strong priority and potential of Prankster Thunder Wave makes revenge killing a bit difficult.

Murkrow is very scary when played in the right hands. I find the best counters to be pokemon like bulky chinchou and porygon. Chinchou can come in on a brave bird and volt switch/discharge it, while porygon can just keep recovering while murkrow gets withered down by recoil. Stealth rocks like you said is a great addition to help wear it down, as there goes even more health for it. There is also tirtouga there to try to beat it up, but you have to be wary of what move to use, as sucker punch can be lethal, while tirtouga won't enjoy icy wind+sucker punch after a shell smash, as murkrow still outspeeds +1 tirtouga. Other notable counters to mixcrow are lickitung and shellos. Slowpoke is not the best way at all to counter murkrow, as some have dark pulse.

I will edit more later, I have things to do.

Expulso

Basically, most bulky rock types, like Nosepass, can take a few hits and status/kill it. This thing is pretty insane.

The closest thing to a counter MixKrow has is probably Amaura.

Pros:
  • Scarf Amaura can actually switch in on Brave Bird or Icy Wind/HP Ice.
  • Murkrow cannot use sucker punch to KO Amaura, since Nature Power is a status move.
  • Tri-Attack is a clean OHKO thanks to Refrigerate
  • Forcing Murkrow to switch makes it take another 25% next time it switches in if you have Stealth Rock active.
Cons:
  • Your opponent's Stealth Rock also severely limit Amaura's switch-ins.
  • Murkrow can Roost off the Stealth Rock damage switching out.
  • Lack of recovery, combined with the above, mean you're not getting much out of Amaura besides countering Flying-types.
  • Murkrow can use Thunder Wave to cripple Amaura from doing much further damage.
Team support from Spritzee or Lickitung can also help much of your team to function against Murkrow, eliminating the spread of Paralysis with Aromatherapy/Heal Bell and passing Wish to whatever Pokemon you use against Murkrow, because whatever you do use will probably take quite a bit of damage.

As far as checks go, you're most likely going to end up saccing something to Brave Bird if it's the Life Orb variant, so be very aware of how your team matches up against Murkrow's partners when choosing who to sacrifice.

I will be listing mons under each category from top to bottom in what I believe to be viability/strength as a counter/check.

Counters
None.

Strong Checks
Munchlax deals with most Murkrow sets to a decent extent. Using a 31/14 HP and defensive spread, you can easily live Brave Birds with Berry Juice, and threaten to OHKO back with Body Slam (if LO) or Ice Punch, or even stall out Bbird/LO's recoil with Recycle. Recycle makes sure that you stay healthy throughout all Murkrow encounters. The great thing about Munchlax's BJ set is that it has a high HP pool and low defense, so Murkrow basically kills itself with Brave Bird. Other Murkrow sets can't really threaten Munch much either aside from paralyzing it. Munchlax also doesn't care about getting paralyzed which is a bonus.

Archen can switch in to non LO Krow very safely, as nothing 2HKOs it aside from like HP Ice. It can threaten to kill back with Rock Slide even through Defaitist thanks to its ridiculous attack stat. It can easily Roost off any damage that it takes after switching in and can force Krow out.

Chinchou is an obvious one. Being the bulkiest Electric type that isn't weak to any of Murkrow's common moves, its a great switch in to many Krow sets. With Eviolite or Berry Juice, you can easily tank BBirds, but you have to be careful for moves like Sucker Punch. So when Chinchou is used with the purpose of checking Krow, either RestTalk or Thunderwave should be used to avoid Sucker. It's also immune to the ever so common Thunderwave Murkrow.

Tirtouga is one of the best Rock types in Little Cup. Thanks to its very impressive base defense stat, it doesn't take much from any of Krow's physical attacks. Bulky Tirtouga can swap into most Murkrow sets. Most Murkrows opt for Heat Wave and Dark Pulse/Icy Wind for their special coverage, leaving Tirtouga safe from HP Grass. It can then set up SR, threaten to KO with Rock Slide, AJ, or Scald. Dark Pulse however, is very threatening to BJ Tirtouga. Brave Bird + Dark Pulse from BJ Murkrow is very likely to 2HKO BJ Tirtouga. With careful play however, one can easily whittle LO Krow out of its HP pool using Tirtouga as a pivot.
84 SpA Life Orb Murkrow Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 76 SpD Tirtouga: 16-19 (76.1 - 90.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
84 SpA Murkrow Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 76 SpD Tirtouga: 12-15 (57.1 - 71.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Growlith is an unexpected check. With Intimidate and 25/14 defenses, it can even shrug off 2 LO Bbirds so long as Stealth Rock isn't up. Flamethrower, WoW, or Toxic all hurt or cripple Murkrow significantly. Murkrow also fails to 2HKO Growlith through Stealth Rocks if Murkrow has no Life Orb.
-1 236 Atk Life Orb Murkrow Brave Bird vs. 236 HP / 156+ Def Eviolite Growlithe: 9-13 (36 - 52%) -- 11.3% chance to 2HKO
-1 236 Atk Murkrow Brave Bird vs. 236 HP / 156+ Def Eviolite Growlithe: 7-10 (28 - 40%) -- 11.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

General checks
Lickitung counters almost all Murkrow sets except for ones like Band and Calm Mind which are fairy rare. With 27 HP and 18 defense, it is rarely 2HKO by Life Orb Bbird with no hazards, which is amazing considering Lickitung is neutral to it. However, Lickitung has almost zero offensive presence and is generally outclassed in most other scenarios by Spritzee due to its superior typing and offensive presence.
Spritzee can shrug off non LO Brave Birds, and heal back with Wish while always being able to OHKO back with Moonblast. It also resists Murkrow's Dark Pulse and is neutral to Heat Wave. However, it's almost always 2HKO by LO Bbird, keeping it from being a counter/strong check. Spritzee is still 2HKO by Bbird sometimes after Stealth Rocks. Spritzee can also Aromatherapy paralysis if needed.
236 Atk Murkrow Brave Bird vs. 212 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Spritzee: 10-13 (37 - 48.1%) -- 56.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Vullaby and Lileep are other excellent choices. Brave Bird cannot 2HKO Vullaby without SR or Life Orb, while Vullaby's Brave Bird hurts back a lot more. Vullaby is also the only check with access to U Turn, meaning you can gain momentum when Murkrow roosts or switches out. Lileep threatens Murkrow with Ancient Power and/or Toxic, while stalling with Recover.

Slowpoke is in the same boat as Spritzee. Strong physical defenses let it tank non LO Bbirds, but Slowpoke is a bit shakier due to Dark Pulse and not being able to OHKO. Slowpoke does get Regenerator though, meaning it doesn't have to rely solely on Wish for recovery.

Hippopotas similar physical bulk to Lickitung, however it's a rather poor choice this generation due to Sand Stream nerfs. HP Ice and Grass also 2HKO Hippo. Hippo can't do much back aside from Toxic or Whirlwind it.

Swirlix can swap into LO Krow with the right spread, heal with Berry Juice, and force Krow out or kill it. 24 HP and 14 defense are the needed EVs to reliably survive Krow with no hazards, so this spread is generally best used for Cotton Guard sets. Unfortunately, it can only switch in once, and extremely hinders Swirlix's sweeping abilities due to not being able to set up fully after losing Berry Juice.

Most rock and steel types can check Murkrow to a certain extent. Aron, Nosepass, Tyrunt, Magnemite, Pawniard, Amaura, Onix, Geodude, etc. However most of them are shaky shaky checks, as most Murkrows carry Heat Wave, and many Rock types being vulnerable to Icy Wind or HP Ice. Many of these mons are also not horribly viable, such as Geodude and Tyrunt (somehow this shitter is C rank lol). Aron and Amaura are the most notable here, having uses outside of checking Murkrow and almost always beat it 1 v 1, even when switching into a move. Aron's unique typing in LC gives it neutrality to Heat Wave and x4 resistance to Brave Bird, letting it switch into anything and threaten to OHKO back. Amaura's Nature Power combined with Refrigerate makes Murkrow's Sucker Punch useless, and along with its Rock typing and decent base stats it can switch into Brave Bird twice, making it a decent check/revenger.

Revengers
Amaura is already listed under the checks section, but its so damn good of a revenger that I'll put at at the top spot for revengers. As stated before, Nature Power Refridgerate's combination allow it to bypass Sucker Punch and most of the time, OHKO, which is a unique trait for scarfers.

Carvanha can outspeed Murkrow after +1 from Speed Boost and threaten with Waterfall or Ice Beam. It doesn't take too much from Sucker thanks to its Dark typing. +1 speed Aqua Jet is also an obvious choice, bypassing Sucker Punch's slower priority.

Meditite and Meowth's combination of Fake Out + Additional Priority make them great choices to revenge Krow with. Fake Out with Life Orb from either Meditite or Meowth both bypass Sucker Punch and deal damage of around 25%-60% depending on Murkrow's nature and item. Bullet Punch and Feint then do additional damage, bypassing Brave Bird for Bullet Punch, and Feint bypassing Bbird, Sucker, AND Prankster Roost. Meowth is kind of a meh pick overall, but being able to 2HKO LO Murkrow without taking any damage is pretty cool and unique.

Eviolite Elekid doesn't get OHKO'd or anything by Sucker Punch, and OHKOs with Volt Switch/Thunderbolt. Its almost unique 20 speed allow it to outspeed everything that isn't priority.

Other revengers include basically everything with a Choice Scarf that isn't weak to Sucker, or anything with decent priority. Snover, Murkrow, Pawniard, Chinchou, Timburr, and Croagunk get special mention for being decent at accomplishing a revenge.

Other options aside from revenging include setting up on Krow. SS Tirtouga accomplishes this nicely, being able to dish heavy damage after Smashing. CG Swirlix with a physically bulky spread easily sets up on LO Krow and heals back with Draining Kiss.

Last edited:
My best COUNTER to MixKrow is Sturdy BJ Shieldon.

With sturdy, not being 2HKO by any of its moves, barring sucker punch, its a force to be reckoned with.

I'll do some calcs to show how bulky it is.

236 Atk Life Orb Murkrow Brave Bird vs. 116 HP / 132 Def Shieldon: 4-4 (19 - 19%) -- guaranteed 6HKO
236 Atk Life Orb Murkrow Sucker Punch vs. 116 HP / 132 Def Shieldon: 9-13 (42.8 - 61.9%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO
84 SpA Life Orb Murkrow Hidden Power Ice vs. 116 HP / 212+ SpD Shieldon: 3-4 (14.2 - 19%) -- possible 6HKO
84 SpA Life Orb Murkrow Heat Wave vs. 116 HP / 212+ SpD Shieldon: 8-10 (38 - 47.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

20 Atk Shieldon Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Murkrow: 16-19 (72.7 - 86.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
20 SpA Shieldon Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Murkrow: 14-18 (63.6 - 81.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Here is the set :
Shieldon @ Berry Juice
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 116 HP / 132 Def / 212 SDef / 20 SAtk / 20 Atk
Sassy Nature
- Ice Beam
- Roar
- Heavy Slam
- Stealth Rock

It has potential to set up Stealth Rocks, and it can also get around Sucker Punch with Roar and just handle it later. I run Heavy Slam for the ability to OHKO Swirlix. It also can lure and OHKO Gligar with Ice Beam with the given EVs. It can actually safely set up Stealth Rocks and Roar and potentially still have full health in tact.

I do believe that this is a true counter to Murkrow as it can switch in and just set up rocks right away then KO with Heavy Slam or Ice Beam, or bring it close enough to KO range of LO.

Aron counters Life Orb Murkrow fairly easily. None of its attacks can really 2HKO, even if does carry Dark Pulse. You don't even need to use Head Smash, as Iron Head will do the job after a stealth rock and a life orb attack. The only way it can lose is if Murkrow carries Hidden Power Ground (or Fighting) but it really isn'y used at all.

If it lacks Icy Wind / Ice coverage, Archen also does well but you'll probably need stealth rock off the field.

heat wave + sucker punch kos through sturdy according to those calcs :/
You dont fall for the Sucker Punch. You roar if he predicts the switch. So, It's the safest play to do Roar > Ice Beam. You would only go for Ice Beam if you switch in safely with getting hit by a Brave Bird, Hidden Power Ice, or Icy Wind.

Saying Shieldon and Aron counter Mixkrow isn't wrong, but be sure to consider the fact that aside from dealing with Swirlix and LO Krow, both Aron and Shieldon have little viability outside of these roles. Against most competent players, you will be playing a 5 vs 6 if they don't have an offensive Krow set.

I wouldn't say that. Aron can used to beat more than just Murkrow and Swirlx (which alone is pretty impressive, since they are very dangerous) Aron can beat Fletchling, Meowth, Porygon, Spritzee, Pawniard (lacking breaking break), Vullaby, Snover, Taillow, Zigzagoon, Archen, Foongus, Torchic and Lickitung.

This is not a small list, in fact Murkrow and Swirlx are both S-ranked threats and not a lot of LC pokes in A-B rank can say that they shut down two S-ranked threats. Spirtzee, Murkrow, Vullaby, Pawniard, Foongus, and Porygon are on a large amount of teams in this metagame alone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)