Other The OU Theorymon Project (CLOSED)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
Levitate Metagross.
It would be lovely to have opponents afraid to use both Shadow Ball and Earthquake on Metagross.

Psychic/Fairy Cresselia

Game Freak was really stingy in retconning old 'mons, anything that involves the expansion of the Fairy-type to obvious Fairy 'mons has my vote.

Last edited:
VOTING IS NOW CLOSED

The results are in!

Fur Coat Arcanine: 15

Protean Porygon2: 7

Levitate Metagross: 3

Psychic / Fairy Cresselia: 21

The winner by 6 points is...Psychic/Fairy Cresselia

So just to start this discussion off, Psychic / Fairy Cress is 2x weak to: Poison, Ghost & Steel; has a resistence to Psychic and Fighting (double) and is immune to Dragon & Ground Type moves.

I think losing the Dark and Bug weak for Poison and Steels is a fair trade off despite Steel moves being common. Also the Dragon and Ground Immunes nearly make it the perfect Garchomp counter. Cress should be easy to switch in

Cresselia walls virtually every notable fighting type in the tier except for like Mega Hera. It also does a fantastic job in walling the latis. And it's fantastic bulk allows it to check a multitude of threats in the tier, ranging from the standard Thundurus-I (non nasty plot) to mega Gyarados.

Physically Defensive Cresselia + Specially Defensive Heatran = (almost) Unbreakable core.

Seriously they cover each other's weaknesses so well its almost unfair. Fairy Cress is immune to ground and 4x resists fighting Heatran's only two Weaknesses. Heatran 4x resists steel and is immune to poison Cress's main weaknesses. There are only a few pokemon that have the attack combination to break through this core: Landourous-I, EQ Megasaur, Excadrill are the ones I can think of that have the coverage to break through, but besides that this core is rock solid.

Last edited:
Physically Defensive Cresselia + Specially Defensive Heatran = Unbreakable core.

Seriously they cover each other's weaknesses so well its almost unfair. Fairy Cress is immune to ground and 4x resists fighting Heatran's only two Weaknesses. Heatran 4x resists steel and is immune to poison Cress's main weaknesses. There are only a few pokemon that have the attack combination to break through this core: Landourous-I, EQ Megasaur, Excadrill are the ones I can think of that have the coverage to break through, but besides that this core is rock solid.
heatran has 3 weaknesses, not just 2. heatran is weak to water.

Ye Specs Keldeo can tear through that core with stealth rocks up
as can life orb Scizor w/ Swords Dance and a little bit of speed investment

Ye Specs Keldeo can tear through that core with stealth rocks up
as can life orb Scizor w/ Swords Dance and a little bit of speed investment
Ok maybe I exaggerated a bit... I still think this is a powerful defensive core XD. Also I'm a derp for forgetting heatrans weakness to water.

I mean Cress is sort of like Mega-Venusaur in the fact that it can just hold a team together and cover a buttload of weaknesses. It can form a solid core with a lot of mons. It's one of those independent walls that can be used on any kind of team bar hyper offense.

Cress is already a godly dual screener, losing the bug and dark weakness is a nice boon, worth having to check for bullet punches IMO

The only pokemon that can actually threaten Cress with a Bullet Punch is Scizor. Lucario at +2 fails to dent it. There are a few Pokemon who can muscle past Cresselia, but if you give it max defense with a positive nature and calm mind; there are going to be very few pokemon who can break through cress when it's at +1 spD. These include the following: Bisharp, Belly Drum Azumarill, Excadrill, M-Mawile, Scizor, Volcarona, Wobbuffet, Jirachi (with a little bit of hax), and Metagross. I think that's pretty much everything that can switch in on a +1 cress and win in that situation. M-Venusaur and Heatran cover pretty much all of those Pokemon, so if you are looking to implement this in a core, M-Venusaur and Heatran are the go-to pokemon.

Psychic/Fairy Cresselia would likely have a firm place in the OU metagame, and would be a staple in bulkier teams. There are certainly powerful threats that can take Cress out with some effort, but Toxic is a much more efficient way to deal with her. As such, I can see Stall-centric teams doing much better against her, and the metagame may shift towards Stall and slower play in general.

That said, Cress can't actually do much to a lot of things. She can use set up moves like Dual Screens or spread status, but a great many threats will just smack her until she's out of Moonlight PP.

Psychic/Fairy Cresselia would likely have a firm place in the OU metagame, and would be a staple in bulkier teams. There are certainly powerful threats that can take Cress out with some effort, but Toxic is a much more efficient way to deal with her. As such, I can see Stall-centric teams doing much better against her, and the metagame may shift towards Stall and slower play in general.

That said, Cress can't actually do much to a lot of things. She can use set up moves like Dual Screens or spread status, but a great many threats will just smack her until she's out of Moonlight PP.
In a way that's basically saying that she is in the same boat as MegaVenu. Both shut down by wear, can stop a huge amount of threats, and is often unable to heal significantly due to sand. True, Venu can hit hard without investment (while Cress must boost) yet Cress gets Lefties (to mitigate sand/hazard damage somewhat). Correct me if im wrong, but the two are alike no?

Cresselia can also run a much more effective cro-cune style set, since its weaknesses are less common (less opponents to eliminate first, instead of letting everything and their moms wear it down with u-turn and knock off) and it now can reliably run 1 attack in Moonblast.

In a way that's basically saying that she is in the same boat as MegaVenu. Both shut down by wear, can stop a huge amount of threats, and is often unable to heal significantly due to sand. True, Venu can hit hard without investment (while Cress must boost) yet Cress gets Lefties (to mitigate sand/hazard damage somewhat). Correct me if im wrong, but the two are alike no?
Yeah that's what I was saying earlier. They both wall a significant amount of pokemon in the meta and don't require much support to do their job. Venusaur's stabs actually allow him to hit a lot of pokemon for a decent chunk of damage and can use Leech Seed and the like to annoy steels. I see a cro-cune set doing a good job in this meta like Zebstrika mentioned.
a set that would do good in the meta imo would be along the lines of this/

Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP
Bold Nature
- Moonlight/Rest
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Substitute/Sleep Talk/psychic/whatever

If status is a problem then either rest+sleep talk can be used or substitute, with substitute being the less reliable one.

Yeah that's what I was saying earlier. They both wall a significant amount of pokemon in the meta and don't require much support to do their job. Venusaur's stabs actually allow him to hit a lot of pokemon for a decent chunk of damage and can use Leech Seed and the like to annoy steels. I see a cro-cune set doing a good job in this meta like Zebstrika mentioned.
a set that would do good in the meta imo would be along the lines of this/

Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP
Bold Nature
- Moonlight/Rest
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Substitute/Sleep Talk/psychic/whatever

If status is a problem then either rest+sleep talk can be used or substitute, with substitute being the less reliable one.
Indeed, but I think I myself would love a more support set. Something long the lines of Dual Screens Lunar Dance possibly (course that seems a slight bit sad, wasting her great potential).

She will easily fufill the niche of Togekiss (by this I mean being a Fairy that is immune to Outrage+Earthquake while being able to be Physically Defensive and not weak to common coverage (Stone Edge)) meaning that she could find a place on almost any team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)