Sticky Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
The megastone problem is essentially the exact same thing as Giratina and Griseous Orb. In Pt, it deposited the Griseous Orb into your bag if you attempted to trade it to DP. It also simply showed the regular Giratina sprite with G-o's stats/ability when fighting against DP.

Scyther used Cut!
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to still be "stuck" on the "old" generation of hardware/technology. If any "inconsistencies" between ORAS and the "pioneer games" occur, then I believe that they can be remedied through direct contact with the "updated game" - in this case ORAS.

First off, as I've already said earlier in this thread, patches/bug fixes/what have you have already been done before. There was no WiFi back then, as you know, and this was still accomplished in not just one, but many ways - you could still "fix" your RS today, given you have access to the "fix."

The DS may have been a step up, but is nothing to what the 3DS is capable of. GF had no way of updating the games due to the constraints at the time, and were not about to spend unnecessary resources to remedy a few forme changes between DP and Platinum.

I'll repeat myself, I am NOT a technical engineer or programmer - I'm not even all that great with computers. I don't know what exactly is and is not possible with this generation's hardware/software. I am merely (lightly) basing this off the fact that we can, and have, receive updates/bug fixes/what have you.

If it is at all possible, then I believe GF would "force" an update on XY from ORAS to patch any irregularities. The situation could be something along the lines of:

Communication between "pioneer game" and "updated game" established.
"Updated game" sends a message to "pioneer game" to accept this new packet of information.
A prompt appears on the "pioneer game's" screen to either accept or decline the new data.
If "yes" is selected, then "pioneer game" will download and install the new data (perhaps asking to save the game first), communication may be interrupted or terminated so that the game may fully integrate the new data - maybe even a restart to Title screen
If "no" is selected, then communication terminates and the attempted trade/battle never starts.

Of course, this is just how I see the situation.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Regarding Mega Stones: XY would show them as ???, just like Griseous Orb if you used PokéSav to upload a Giratina-O in DP. I don't know if this means the game does this to any index number that goes beyond the usual limit, or if they have free space after the last known item for these special scenarios; I never fully understood how the game data is compressed, and I don't think I will anytime soon lol.

Regarding updates: I can only see it easily happening if 3DS's wireless capabilities were enough to transfer patch data from one game to another. The biggest problem would be the 3D models for the new Megas, but someone more knowledgeable could answer that one. HOWEVER, if Game Freak really wanted to, they could make it so that a patched game can detect whether or not the other one is also patched and, if it isn't, simply block new items/pokémon from being used in trade/battling. But, of course, I have no idea if they have even thought of that. For fuck's sake, Iwata said online gaming would be "a fad" and we're here hoping a first/second-party developer would do such shenanigans for a mere couple pokémon...

Some people have hacked Diance and the mega Lati@s stone. You can even see them being used in wi-fi battles on youtube. I also remember reading somewhere you are unable to trade them. I don't remember if that only applies to GTS/wonder trade or regular trades as well. If it does work in regular trades, then it should pose no problem to have a pokémon hold an oras exclusive mega stone: just like pokémon holding a hacked lati@s mega stone is currently untradable, so will a pokémon holding, say, swampertirite. The stone being automatically put in the trainer's bag would also be a plausible alternative.

But I'm getting a feeling we're overthinking this in order to support our wish of having new mega evolutions. If GF would've wanted mega swampert/sceptile to be a thing, they would've probably encoded them in XY - just like they did with the eon brothers which, being Hoenn legendaries, also happen to fit in perfectly with the new releases (Know what would be really disappointing? After months of expectation Nintendo makes an amazing revelation: new mega pokémon to come with the new games: mega Latios and mega Latias /o/). When you take all this into consideration, the most simple and logical explanation is that there won't be new mega evolutions. Sadly :/

Last edited:
Some people have hacked Diance and the mega Lati@s stone. You can even see them being used in wi-fi battles on youtube. I also remember reading somewhere you are unable to trade them. I don't remember if that only applies to GTS/wonder trade or regular trades as well. If it does work in regular trades, then it should pose no problem to have a pokémon hold an oras exclusive mega stone: just like pokémon holding a hacked lati@s mega stone is currently untradable, so will a pokémon holding, say, swampertirite. The stone being automatically put in the trainer's bag would also be a plausible alternative.
This is probably just because Mega Stones and event Pokémon, even non-hacked ones, can't be traded on the GTS or Wonder Traded (infared trades are fine) in the first place.

Although every part of me wants Mega Swampert and Mega Sceptile, I've got to agree with gabriel. I just don't see why they wouldn't have them coded in X and Y to begin with. I do hope I'm wrong though!

This is probably just because Mega Stones and event Pokémon, even non-hacked ones, can't be traded on the GTS or Wonder Traded (infared trades are fine) in the first place.
That's what I didn't quite get yet: can you trade a hacked Diancie or Lati@s mega stone by adding a person's FC or do they have some sort of lock?

I've never traded a Mega Stone or event Pokémon over Wi-Fi, but I think that you should be able to trade a normal Mega Stone/event Pokémon. I'm not 100% sure, though, and I have no idea about the hacked Pokémon.

Has GameFreak done anything to indicate that there WON'T be new Mega Evolutions? They've already said that the two pokemon on the covers of ORAS are new pokemon. That aren't in the coding of X/Y as far as we know. Sooo… Why would data not existing in X/Y be a reason for them not creating new mega-evos?

Given the success of Megas with the glaring omissions of Sceptile & Swampert, why wouldn't they make new ones? What's their reasoning? You've got to imagine there are a lot of folks at GF excited about designing new megas. There isn't anyone here who knows the specifics of the way their data works or whether patches will allow for them so it's safer to bet on the more likely possibility and assume there will be new mega evos.

I really wish that they bring the seals back I don't care for contests,just the seals and if possible poffins and poke block

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I forgot about seals, those were one of my favorite features in DPP! I understood dropping them from HGSS since your first mon just waltzes out, but their removal from Gen 5 was criminal. plus they could do some sweetass seals in 3d. also, glad to see another poffin fan. even if they do not retain their contest-enhancing properties, perhaps poffins could find new life as an EV training tool? there are many possibilities for feeding your pokemon muffins

I really wish that they bring the seals back I don't care for contests,just the seals and if possible poffins and poke block
Remove the fact that seals had to be removed whenever you transfer your Pokémon into the PC and you have my support.

Also in terms of the Mega Evolution discussion, it would seem fair to give Swampert and Sceptile Megas. Look at the Kanto starters, Blastioise and Venusaur found out to have MEvos despite all the hype people had over Charizard, which I think was in the news first, and that thing got two Mega forms. Blaziken has been getting love from everyone; regular gamers who were baffled at sight of a Fire type that could handle the first Rock type Gym (yes some fire types could learn Earthquake, but not till much later in-game when you got the TM), competitive battlers (that Speed boosting power, R.I.P. Ninjask), and Gamefreak with their Blazikenite. I wouldn't be surprised if Blaziken and it's Mega form end up in the new SBB as a trophy or as a cameo while we may only see Mudkip and Treeko likewise.

Let's look at another example. Gen 2 had the Johto Starters. From personal knowledge, Totodile seemed to be the most popular choice. Sure it was not the best Pokémon out there, a high Attack stat crippled by having no physical STAB back then. In HGSS and soforth, it was granted physical Water attacks, effective physical coverage with Ice Fang, and sweeping potential with Dragon Dance and the unreleased Sheer Force. What happened to the other starters? Typhlosion was still mediocre, so they gave it Eruption and Inferno coupled with Flash Fire to keep it at least threatening on paper. As for Meganium, unique supportive abilities like Dragon Tail and Heal Pulse combined with Leaf Guard to add variety over Dual Screens. Similarly, the other Hoenn starters deserve some work to put them at least closer to Blaziken's level of painstakingly obvious superiority. With Sceptile's now mostly physical level up move-pool and Damp Swampert being Damp Swampert they have to at least compensate for the massive buff they gave to that damn fire chicken. Sure this post sounds whiny, but who here hasn't at least thought about it.

There are some few complications I noticed a few posts back, one being these Mega Stones are not in the game code for XY. The developers could always add them in as patches. "Why not bury the data into XY when they had the chance to like with the Lati-Stones?" you may ask. Maybe the developers haven't thought about it at the moment. Besides, since Gen 3, Gamefreak had been pummeling power into Dragons like there was no freaking tomorrow. Even with Fairies, they're still a threat. Getting to the point, I seriously doubt that all the details on the content of ORAS were planned out when XY was still in development. Now that they saw the results of Mega Evolutions, they might reconsider editing data for the other starters if they haven't already, they still got till November and generating hype over new Mega Formes is always a would be a good money-making scheme. Plus it wouldn't be a "New and Exciting World" if a ton of old features and existing ones like MEvos weren't implemented and expanded upon even though we all know these are just remakes with a 3D flair.

Other than possible programming issues and general laziness, I don't see much of a point in not giving the other starters a boost. Correct me if anything I posted doesn't make sense. Argument is all about countering ideas to create meaningful discussion, so please forgive me if I'm not the best devil's advocate. I just don't want to buy these games knowing that every single one of my friends will lean more towards starting out with Torchic again after 11 years. This time because it was blessed with near godliness. It will be the release of the original Ruby and Sapphire all over again.

Last edited:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
But I'm getting a feeling we're overthinking this in order to support our wish of having new mega evolutions. If GF would've wanted mega swampert/sceptile to be a thing, they would've probably encoded them in XY - just like they did with the eon brothers which, being Hoenn legendaries, also happen to fit in perfectly with the new releases (Know what would be really disappointing? After months of expectation Nintendo makes an amazing revelation: new mega pokémon to come with the new games: mega Latios and mega Latias /o/). When you take all this into consideration, the most simple and logical explanation is that there won't be new mega evolutions. Sadly :/
I addressed this earlier in the thread. I think Lati@s might be an event for X/Y, to be released before ORAS hits the shelves. A simple event promoting ORAS to X/Y players. They could even activate some in-game event if transferred to ORAS, just like the legendary beasts did between HG/SS and B/W (though, that was cross-generation, this won't be). You may be right, though. It would have been a fairly simple task to make X/Y compatible with a lot more Mega Evolutions, instead of making all future Megas ORAS/Z exclusive.

The developers could always add them in as patches. "Why not bury the data into XY when they had the chance to like with the Lati-Stones?" you may ask. Maybe the developers haven't thought about it at the moment.
I'm fairly certain that all of Gen. VI was well planned out long before X/Y was finished coding. They plan for such things long in advance. As evident with all the unreleased hidden stuff (three legendaries, two Mega Stones, two Vivillion patterns, tons of moves, Az' Floette) they had planned for a lot of extra content to be released later this generation. So far, we've only seen Diancie being revealed, which still leaves a lot for the future. There would have been plenty of time to add all necessary content before X/Y shipped, and because they plan in advance, they would know perfectly well what would be added in Gen. VI's later games.

By the way, didn't Iwata or Miyamoto say that the Mega Evolutions of the Kanto starters were added to the main story of the game as an afterthought? At least, I remember one of them stating that they decided to add them after seeing their designs in action, which means they had been readily designed at that point. I wonder what the original plan for them was? It might have been as un-dramatic as you obtaining one of them post-E4, but they could theoretically have been meant as an event instead. Now, with them being included in the story, that event would have to be replaced. Maybe the Torchic was its replacement? It could be that the designers thought "Uhh... yeah, give the starters to the professor, and we'll give players some other Mega as a release-day event. Plenty to take from in the R/S remakes. Blaziken looks fine to you?".

A little far-fetched, I have to admit, but it might be that Blaziken being in X/Y was as much of an afterthought as the Kanto starters being in the main story. Then again, I may be overthinking it.

I'm agreeing with Cobraroll, GF wouldn't have had time to code in all the ORAS megas into XY when it came out. I haven't used a 3ds yet, so I don't know how DLCs work, but since other consoles can use them, it only makes sense that Nintendo would have DLCs too. Also, Sap sipper mega-swampert will RULE

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm sorry but is there some sort of flavour/canon or whatever I'm missing regarding everyone wanting sap sipper on m-swampert? Or is it just 'OMG DAT 4x WEAKNESS IS NOW IMMUNITY!!!1!!!1' because I think that's a pretty weak excuse for an ability. Pretty much all it's dex entries mention it's thick, powerful arms so all I can guess right now is iron fist or something

I'm sorry but is there some sort of flavour/canon or whatever I'm missing regarding everyone wanting sap sipper on m-swampert? Or is it just 'OMG DAT 4x WEAKNESS IS NOW IMMUNITY!!!1!!!1' because I think that's a pretty weak excuse for an ability. Pretty much all it's dex entries mention it's thick, powerful arms so all I can guess right now is iron fist or something
Knowing Gamefreak Volt Absorb Swampert will be the new metagame.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I'm agreeing with Cobraroll, GF wouldn't have had time to code in all the ORAS megas into XY when it came out. I haven't used a 3ds yet, so I don't know how DLCs work, but since other consoles can use them, it only makes sense that Nintendo would have DLCs too. Also, Sap sipper mega-swampert will RULE
Umm... sorry if I was unclear or anything, but that was the exact opposite of what I was saying. There would have been plenty of time to add ORAS Megas into X/Y, since stuff like that is decided on long in advance (and they took their time to code a bunch of other stuff into the games already). Though, there wouldn't have been a strict need to, since the games can cope with new formes of existing Pokémon already. On the other hand, not adding them into X/Y would mean that the new Megas would be ORAS exclusive, then again the new formes have always been, so that might not be too unthinkable.

Umm... sorry if I was unclear or anything, but that was the exact opposite of what I was saying. There would have been plenty of time to add ORAS Megas into X/Y, since stuff like that is decided on long in advance (and they took their time to code a bunch of other stuff into the games already). Though, there wouldn't have been a strict need to, since the games can cope with new formes of existing Pokémon already. On the other hand, not adding them into X/Y would mean that the new Megas would be ORAS exclusive, then again the new formes have always been, so that might not be too unthinkable.
Sorry if you've answered this before but since you seem like the person which the best grasp on this, how long do you reckon these games have been in development for then?

Also, couldn't they just be trying to be sneaky if they do add a patch? Keep the games hidden until they announce it? Nintendo must've known the games would get hacked

I'd like to perseverate on the prospect for new forms some more.
The kami trio's Therian forms provided an interesting twist that was revealed by hackers. When you look into the coding for BW, there's placeholder data set aside to recognize Kyurem's other forms. The same thing applied to Shaymin and Giratina in DP before Pt; the games were made to recognize a separate stat spread(and possibly a different ability) from the first form we're ever given access to, even though we don't have the visual data apparent. So when you break into a game and you see that line of code, the game is telling you "this is the safe point of reference for me to be written over in case you encounter someone with the new games and X Pokémon with Y new form".
However, the kamis as of BW only had one slot of data, meaning there was no pocket of space premade for BW to go "oh, they're different now", but it gets overwritten during battles between BW and BW2 anyway. Even though you wouldn't have access to the coding/items in the pioneer games, we're taught to believe that the old games don't have to be temporarily written over completely to handle a switch in stats during multiplayer battles between varying games from the same generation, like with the Kami trio.
Food for thought on the whole "Game Freak plans out everything" part.

Sorry if you've answered this before but since you seem like the person which the best grasp on this, how long do you reckon these games have been in development for then?

Also, couldn't they just be trying to be sneaky if they do add a patch? Keep the games hidden until they announce it? Nintendo must've known the games would get hacked
The next generation of games normally goes into pre-production as soon as they release a pioneer pair of games. They said in an interview back at the beginning of BW that they started workshopping ideas for Gen5 shortly after DP was available for purchase (They stated that Haxorus was the first finalized design for a Unovan Pokémon, and they made him in a decent amount of time). By now, in the time it's been since XY was released, they've probably got a handful of Pokémon (starters included), a rough layout of the next region and a basic plotline for Gen7 ready.

Last edited:
Getting a 2DS today just so I can get Omega Ruby when it comes out (Kyogre is too overused in Ubers for my liking). Emulated Emerald was the first non-spin-off Pokemon game I played, and I know Hoenn like the back of my hand, so this will be a ton of fun for me.

Also, my starter is Torchic, so I couldn't care less is Sceptile and Swampert got a Mega ;)

BEEP BEEP BEEP
NEW TOPIC INCOMING

Remember how in previous remakes you could set it so that the original music played instead of the remakes? Was that in both the past games or just one of them? I can't remember. Anyway, do you guys think that feature will be returning in some way?

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
BEEP BEEP BEEP
NEW TOPIC INCOMING

Remember how in previous remakes you could set it so that the original music played instead of the remakes? Was that in both the past games or just one of them? I can't remember. Anyway, do you guys think that feature will be returning in some way?
I really hope so. The GB sounds was a really fun feature in HGSS, so hopefully a 'GBA sounds' will be in ORAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)