Ladder Balanced Hackmons

The viability ranking for this metagame made me have a few questions about two Pokémon and their (normally) exculsive Abilities.

Will Aegislash still change back and forth between forms if it doesn't have Stance Change, and will an Arceus of a specific Type have two types if it has Multitype and a differently-typed plate?

The viability ranking for this metagame made me have a few questions about two Pokémon and their (normally) exculsive Abilities.

Will Aegislash still change back and forth between forms if it doesn't have Stance Change, and will an Arceus of a specific Type have two types if it has Multitype and a differently-typed plate?
Aegislash needs stance change in order to change forms. Arceus cannot change types at all without Multitype.

Yveltal is still way better imho, lack of sleep immunity is not ideal.
If you give it a lum berry and recycle or something, it can switch into Spore , set up a sub, and use the method described above. If they decide to use Spore again, you can force them out with Encore. It's definitely not the best option out there, but it has a lot of utility as well. It can stop a lot of setup sweepers the same way.

MJB

Sup Peeps
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
I saw someone in Hackmons (www.facebook.com, (s)he's really good) with a really cool counter to Gengar Mega. It was a prankster Arceus. Its moveset was designed for a Baton Pass team because that's what (s)he runs, but it could be easily adapted for non Baton Pass BH teams. The important moves were Encore and recovery (and I'm pretty sure it had a +Def/-Atk nature). Basically, it could switch into Gengar and if it used Judgment, then it gets Encore'd into an immune move. If Gengar used Shell Smash, it gets Encore'd into a status move. If Gengar used Secret Sword, it could just Recover off the damage done.

252 SpA Mega Gengar Secret Sword vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Arceus: 158-188 (35.5 - 42.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

The other two moves were Substitute and Baton Pass, the first of which is also semi-useful for countering these Gengars. If they decide to use Spore and you can predict it, you can set up a priority sub and then Encore them into it.
am i really the only person who runs magic bounce gar? its so good :(

If you run Magic Bounce Gengar-Mega, you have to dedicate a moveslot to killing Shedinja, and then you have Shell Smash. That's 4 moves already, and then you can't afford to run Spore/Dark Void or King's Shield and are vulnerable to threats such as Kyurem Black.

No no no, THIS is how you beat Gengar.

Disclaimer: Probably not recommend for most teams.
Gotta say, that was pretty great.

Hey, does anyone use Gengar who Mega-Evolves to get Shadow Tag? I just thought of it and I wondered why no one uses it.
Piccolo Daimao had a pretty fun strategy based around it that I stole; a Truant Skill Swapper that would be hit by an attack and immediately use its Eject Button to bring in a Shadow Tag Mega Gengar (which presumably had already been in and gotten a chance to mega evolve).

It's okay, but requires the use of another moveslot if you want to be able to deal with Shedinja, something that Gengar, which already has 4MSS, can't quite afford.

EDIT: last part ninja'd

No no no, THIS is how you beat Gengar.

Disclaimer: Probably not recommend for most teams.
That was pretty sad for me :(

But hey, nobody likes the idea of Aerilate Yveltal?

STABed Boomburst + ExtremeSpeed + Fake Out + Knock Off/Sucker Punch only resisted by 3 (4 if you count NFE) pokemons, and only one of them is relevant to this metagame?

And what about run two Mold Gengar? One is the classic set (DV/Judgment/Sword/SS) the other gets Moonblast (as coverage) and Sludge Wave (as coverage and STAB) instead of Dark Void and Secret Sword.

But hey, nobody likes the idea of Aerilate Yveltal?

STABed Boomburst + ExtremeSpeed + Fake Out + Knock Off/Sucker Punch only resisted by 3 (4 if you count NFE) pokemons, and only one of them is relevant to this metagame?

And what about run two Mold Gengar? One is the classic set (DV/Judgment/Sword/SS) the other gets Moonblast (as coverage) and Sludge Wave (as coverage and STAB) instead of Dark Void and Secret Sword.

Compromising defensive structure is not a good idea imho, it would be best to use offensive threats that also contribute to your team defensively. Imo, if players choose to have stupidly frail Pokemon for their teams, it would be best to have just 1.

Well, if it helps, the chances of me pulling that off again are very slim. And the chances of that happening to you are even smaller since, AFAIK, nobody else uses Grudge and Spooky Plate Imposters are extremely rare.

I've seen quite a few Aero's lately, has the meta changed to better incorporate the beast? (I haven't laddered much in the past month or so, aside from last night)
It's definitely been more common lately, despite Thousand Arrows being a thing now. I'm surprised it took so long to catch on though since it's pretty much Killerchops except better.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Today I made a joke team to get back into Balanced Hackmons. It's hyper offensive even though everyone says it isn't viable. Even though I only played a few matches I've not lost yet so I feel that if anyone actually makes a serious team utilizing a similar strategy, they could actually make Hyper Offense Viable.

Anyway the strategy is pretty simple: after the Ability Clause you can only have 2 of every ability! This means however that you can still have a team of only -ate's. At this moment all run Fake Out, ESpeed and Explosion and various filler moves (Usually 1k Arrows). The goal is to take as much Pokemon with you down as possible and if you can't beat something, use Explosion to probably kill it or make it easily revenged.

My current team is:
Mamoswine
Kyurem-Black
Rayquaza
Yveltal
Xerneas
Xerneas

While sure, this may not be the most competeting team out there, the strategy has proved to me that Hyper Offense can be viable in BH. This is caused by the extreme wallbreaking capabilities of -ate Explosion. They can destroy pretty much anything and if they survive, revenging is easy. This can take needed parts out of Stall cores and if you utilize the hole being made afterwards it may lead to an easy win. (Mostly because Stall teams lose against offense if they let anything faint earlygame, just because the structure has been destroyed). So I'd like to hear it if anyone has any experiences using a similar playstyle and I hope this encourages everyone to try out a relatively unknown Playstyle in Balanced Hackmons!

Arcticblast edit: if anybody tries to ban -ate abilities in any way, shape, or form as a result of this post under my watch I WILL delete your post

Last edited by a moderator:

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love
Today I made a joke team to get back into Balanced Hackmons. It's hyper offensive even though everyone says it isn't viable. Even though I only played a few matches I've not lost yet so I feel that if anyone actually makes a serious team utilizing a similar strategy, they could actually make Hyper Offense Viable.

Anyway the strategy is pretty simple: after the Ability Clause you can only have 2 of every ability! This means however that you can still have a team of only -ate's. At this moment all run Fake Out, ESpeed and Explosion and various filler moves (Usually 1k Arrows). The goal is to take as much Pokemon with you down as possible and if you can't beat something, use Explosion to probably kill it or make it easily revenged.

My current team is:
Mamoswine
Kyurem-Black
Rayquaza
Yveltal
Xerneas
Xerneas

While sure, this may not be the most competeting team out there, the strategy has proved to me that Hyper Offense can be viable in BH. This is caused by the extreme wallbreaking capabilities of -ate Explosion. They can destroy pretty much anything and if they survive, revenging is easy. This can take needed parts out of Stall cores and if you utilize the hole being made afterwards it may lead to an easy win. (Mostly because Stall teams lose against offense if they let anything faint earlygame, just because the structure has been destroyed). So I'd like to hear it if anyone has any experiences using a similar playstyle and I hope this encourages everyone to try out a relatively unknown Playstyle in Balanced Hackmons!
Uh Snaquaza talk to adrian i did this awhile ago but my team was different. IT utilized both explosion and boomburst, for tearing thru physical and special walls, and it proved really effective bcuz lol -ate spam

It was:
Ice Kyube
Kyuwhite
Pinsir-Mega
Rayquaza
Xerneas
MegaGarde

Even though this post is meant purely to kill ur vibe, I am glad to see that great minds think alike and u have to be a good player to think of this imo :)))))))))))))))))

How about this?

Mega Zard Y @ whatever (probably assault vest)
Nature: Modest
EVs and IVs: 0 Atk
Ability: Contrary
Moves:
Overheat
Psycho Boost
Draco Meteor
Leaf Storm

Snaquaza and GlassGlaceon : Those teams look effective if they have the right kind of coverage moves and something to deal with that bug. The real weakness with those I think are Chanseys (especially if any of the mons have recovery), and also they are all offense so if something can take a hit (like Kyogre) then it could give the team(s) trouble. Also if the opponent gets SR up, the Ice and/or Flying types will get hurt badly.

How about this?

Moves:
Overheat
Psycho Boost
Draco Meteor
Leaf Storm
That move set won't be that effective in this meta because of a few dangerous Pokemon. One is Sturdy Shedinja, your set can't touch it. Another is Imposter Chansey, it can switch in, take a hit, then usually finish off your Contrary mon before it can KO the lovable pink guy. I'd recommend running at least one way to stop the bug, such as Leech Seed, Sacred Fire, etc.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Snaquaza and GlassGlaceon : Those teams look effective if they have the right kind of coverage moves and something to deal with that bug. The real weakness with those I think are Chanseys (especially if any of the mons have recovery), and also they are all offense so if something can take a hit (like Kyogre) then it could give the team(s) trouble. Also if the opponent gets SR up, the Ice and/or Flying types will get hurt badly.

That move set won't be that effective in this meta because of a few dangerous Pokemon. One is Sturdy Shedinja, your set can't touch it. Another is Imposter Chansey, it can switch in, take a hit, then usually finish off your Contrary mon before it can KO the lovable pink guy. I'd recommend running at least one way to stop the bug, such as Leech Seed, Sacred Fire, etc.
Chansey's are actually really easy to beat as I can just explode on them and they won't be able to survive that while I usually easily survive ESpeed. If he uses Explosion, it's still a 1v1 Trade-Off which is the main thing the team does really. About Shedinja: I've not been able to touch it in a while but now on some mons (My Xerneas) I run moves to counter it, luckily haven't encountered any yet though :)

Chansey's are actually really easy to beat as I can just explode on them and they won't be able to survive that while I usually easily survive ESpeed. If he uses Explosion, it's still a 1v1 Trade-Off which is the main thing the team does really. About Shedinja: I've not been able to touch it in a while but now on some mons (My Xerneas) I run moves to counter it, luckily haven't encountered any yet though :)
Oh nice! I havent really used Explosion much so I forget that it can take out Chansey in one hit. I'd recommend running at least one Rocky Helmet on one of your mons, that way if you can predict them going for Endeavor, the bug will meet it's end. c:

How about this?

Moves:
Overheat
Psycho Boost
Draco Meteor
Leaf Storm
Contrary is a fairly common ability, so don't be surprised if a Studinja or Impossey (Chanposter) ruins your sweep. Keep it Playful says some wise words. Also Topsy Turvy/Gastro Acid can ruin you if you're not prepared. And finally, if you're gonna use something dangerous like this, carry a counter. Always.
This is why I have Focus Energy on my ShellSmashceus. CritTwo FTW

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)