Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, Salamence is really bad in XY OU. It's very easily walled, very susceptible it priority due to its frailty and lack of its own priority, and faces a ton of competition from other Dragon Dance users, specifically Mega Charizard X, Dragonite, Mega Gyarados, and Mega Tyranitar.

Who is bettor as a d.d dragon in this gen.

salamence or Dragonite?

((I have tried both on my team and both do just fine at this job))

I'm well aware that in gen 5 the answer would have been salamence beyond a doubt due to the moxie boosts but salamence got nerfed this gen and Dragonite has his sweet bulk.
so I'm torn.

EDIT: everyone if free to voice who I should choose.
http://veekun.com/dex/gadgets/compare_pokemon?pokemon=dragonite&pokemon=salamence

Gonna have to echo Dragonite. The only thing Salamence really has on Dragonite is speed, and even then Mence's speed is only just adequate. Additionally, Multiscale patches that up just fine and lets Dragonite get basically a free dragon dance, not to mention a weakness policy if you decide to go that route. Dnite also gets extreme speed in case you need a bit of damage right away -- it can also help you revenge even scarfed pokemon without having to break multiscale.

I don't even think Mence was that great in Gen V. I mainly only used it scarfed as late game clean up, never a DD sweeper.

All that said, if you're looking for a dragon type to go with YZard, you might consider Garchomp over either of them since he resists Stone Edge and Thunderbolt/Volt switch both of which YZard hates. Unfortunately in that case you'd have to go Swords Dance to boost instead of DD. Just a suggestion. If a DD Dragon just goes better with the rest of your team though, Dragonite is the way to go.

Dragonite is way better at DDancing than Salamence. In combination of weakness policy, you can have a 2.5x Attack and 1.5x Speed in 1 turn! Also, Dragonite has such a great ability that it can take super effective hits and activate dragonite!

Sheer Force or Mold Breaker on Rampardos?
[Trick Room]

Mold Breaker hits Levitate
Sheer Force for Rock Slides/Zens/Crunches/Ironheads

I was thinking
Rockslide
EQ
Sub
Zen Headbutt/Crunch
If you give Ramparados Life Orb, Rock Slide's BP is about 126 (before STAB) for zero recoil. Head Smash is only a bit stronger (150) and deals tons of recoil. Not to mention it lets you boost Zen/Crunch to about 135 BP for zero recoil. The only reason to run Mold Breaker is if you're deathly afraid of Rotoms, but even then EQ only does 65-75% to physically defensive Rotoms which are really common so it's not all that worth it especially when sheer force LO rock slide does 60-70% anyway.

This is something that has really been bothering me. Why do people give Pokemon with really low base speed stats speed EVs? My main examples are Bisharp, and Conkeldur. One of Bisharp's main sets on this forum is a choice banded set that is max attack and...speed? Look out guys, he's got 70 base speed! How will we ever outrun this supersonic menace?! /sarcasm Actually, with okay 65/100/70 defenses, and a nice defensive typing, he won't need those speed EVs; those should be put into HP instead. Bisharp has priority in Sucker Punch, which really shuts down the reason for any speed EVs.

Even worse is Conkeldurr, with faster than a speeding turtle 45 base speed. I've actually seen sets that suggest giving him 20 speed EVs. If a max speed neutral natured Bisharp will hardly outspeed anything, than how would Conkeldurr? It also has true priority in mach punch, making those speed EVs unessecary.

Another is Gliscor, where I was surprised to see it given speed EVs on a defensive set. Sure it has 95 base speed, which is okay, but I wouldn't see it sweeping a team anytime soon. Gliscor is usually going to be tanking hits, not sweeping through teams, so why not invest all the EVs in bulk, or at least put some into it's attack, what it will actually use?

This is something that has really been bothering me. Why do people give Pokemon with really low base speed stats speed EVs? My main examples are Bisharp, and Conkeldur. One of Bisharp's main sets on this forum is a choice banded set that is max attack and...speed? Look ou guys, he's got 70 base speed! How will we ever outrun this supersonic menace?! /sarcasm Actually, with okay 65/100/70 defenses, and a nice defensive typing, he won't need those speed EVs; those should be put into HP instead. Bisharp has priority in Sucker Punch, which really suts down the reason for any speed EVs.

Even worse is Conkeldurr, with faster than a speeding turtle 45 base speed. I've actually seen sets that suggest giving him 20 speed EVs. If a max speed neutral natured Bisharp will hardly outspeed anything, than how would Conkeldurr? It also has true priority in mach punch, making those speed EVs unessecary.

Another is Gliscor, where I was surprised to see it given speed EVs on a defensive set.. Sure it has 95 base speed, which is okay, but I wouldn't see it sweeping a team anytime soon. Gliscor is usually going to be tanking hits, not sweeping through teams, so why not invest all the EVs in bulk, or at least put some into it's attack, what it will actually use?
People put Speed EVs on Bisharp in order to outspeed shit like max Speed Aegislash, Defensive Heatran, etc. It's mainly used, though, because bulk really wouldn't do much for Bisharp in the long run (Unless you're like Assault Vest or something lol)

No one uses Speed EVs on Conkeldurr, whoever does is not using it right lol

Also Gliscor uses Speed in order to more easily Toxic stall, since with a fast Substitute it can easily stall out with Toxic.

Andrew

beep boop
is a Top Artist Alumnus
This is something that has really been bothering me. Why do people give Pokemon with really low base speed stats speed EVs? My main examples are Bisharp, and Conkeldur. One of Bisharp's main sets on this forum is a choice banded set that is max attack and...speed? Look out guys, he's got 70 base speed! How will we ever outrun this supersonic menace?! /sarcasm Actually, with okay 65/100/70 defenses, and a nice defensive typing, he won't need those speed EVs; those should be put into HP instead. Bisharp has priority in Sucker Punch, which really shuts down the reason for any speed EVs.

Another is Gliscor, where I was surprised to see it given speed EVs on a defensive set. Sure it has 95 base speed, which is okay, but I wouldn't see it sweeping a team anytime soon. Gliscor is usually going to be tanking hits, not sweeping through teams, so why not invest all the EVs in bulk, or at least put some into it's attack, what it will actually use?
You can also check out this thread for more info on speed tiers: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/speed-tiers-in-ou.3503834/

I'm gonna butt in here and be the opposite of what everyone is thinking.
I honestly like Salamence a lot more than Dragonite. Sure Dragonite has Multiscale, but who cares? It's still OHKO'ed by Life Orb Greninja's Ice Beam. Choice Scarf Salamence is one of the best leads I've ever had. (I'm aware that you said Dragon Dancers, but I DON'T CARREEE *Throws table*) Also, Salamence gets Moxie, making it harder and harder to wall once momentum is gained.
If you REALLY want to use Dragonite, I suggest an Agility/Weakness Policy set. That works much better for me.
Salamence is not bad, but this gen Dragonite is just so much better. Do you realize that with multiscale, there's about 3 unboosted moves in the entirety of OU that have a high chance of OHKO'ing Dragonite WITHOUT ANY DEFENSE INVESTMENT. That is ridiculous. I would go as far to say that is disgusting. In fact, slap a lum berry on this thing and there is absolutely no way you are not getting a Dragon Dance up. As a Dragon Dancer, Dragonite completely outclasses Salamence.

Salamence isn't that easy to wall, but with a choice scarf it becomes a piece of cake. Just prop a fairy in front of his face and watch him run away in fear.

Still, I can name so many things that can outspeed and/or tank Adamant Dragonite even after +1. And yes, Fairies do kinda wall Salamence, but the same issue applies to Dragonite as well. I may have a little personal bias to Salamence, as it was one of the first EX cards I ever got. In fact I know it's bias. Still, Salamence should NOT go down to UU. Ever. (Plus how many Fairies do you really see in OU? I know Sylveon and Florges are issues, but if Salamence has a DD up and a Moxie boost, since both of their physical defenses suck, there's no stopping it.)
The thing is anything that outspeeds Dragonite can be taken care of by Extremespeed, another reason why Salamence is better. It's attack stat is also higher than Salamence and it runs Adamant unlike Salamence, AND has a higher special attack making it harder to wall. How many fairies do I see in OU?? You don't mention Clefable, Azumarill or Mawile, all huge threats that I see all the time! I'm not gonna argue about UU but the point is Dragonite is the better Dragon Dancer undisputably.

Still, I can name so many things that can outspeed and/or tank Adamant Dragonite even after +1. And yes, Fairies do kinda wall Salamence, but the same issue applies to Dragonite as well. I may have a little personal bias to Salamence, as it was one of the first EX cards I ever got. In fact I know it's bias. Still, Salamence should NOT go down to UU. Ever. (Plus how many Fairies do you really see in OU? I know Sylveon and Florges are issues, but if Salamence has a DD up and a Moxie boost, since both of their physical defenses suck, there's no stopping it.)
EDIT: Derp. Mega Mawile, Clefable and Azumarill.
At +1, Adamant Max Speed Dragonite outspeeds positive base 126 pokemon. The only things that outspeed it that are even somewhat-commonly seen in OU (and that are not scarfed) are Mega Manectric and Deoxys-S, neither of which can OHKO through multiscale. The only scarfers that Dragonite has to look out for that Scarf Mence doesn't care about are those that commonly run scarfs above base 68 and below base 100, specifically, Darmanitan, non-mega Gardevoir, and Excadrill, of which only Excadrill is ever really seen in OU and can't OHKO through multiscale anyway meaning it goes down to E/Q.

On the other hand, multiscale lets Dragonite survive Adamant Max Attack Mamoswine's Ice Shard, allowing it to retaliate with +1 dragon claw followed by +1 Extreme Speed for the KO, whereas Mamo stops a Salamence sweep cold no matter how many moxie boosts it's got. (though admittedly, neither one can live an icicle crash, so both are probably better off just switching out.)

Choice Scarf Salamence on the other hand has very little sweeping potential in Gen VI, because it can't lock itself into either of its two strongest moves (Dragon Claw/Outrage or Earthquake) thanks to all the very commonly used fairy types and fliers/levitators running around the tier.

What is the best way to deal with Weakness policy Aegislash?I don't know why but it is giving my HO teams a lot of trouble and I've seen a lot more of it now that I'm approaching 1400 rating.

What is the best way to deal with Weakness policy Aegislash?I don't know why but it is giving my HO teams a lot of trouble and I've seen a lot more of it now that I'm approaching 1400 rating.
Hit it with absurdly powerful SE moves(e.g. Charizard y Fire Blast, Landorus I Earth Power) or equally powerful neutral moves(this way you can afford a 2HKO). And it's generally a subpar set so it will get rarer when you are around 1600.

I'm EV Training my Shiny Jolly Charmander. On Showdown I use 248 HP 244 SpD 16 Spe for Lv 100. How to convert to Lv 50 for it to outspeed the same thing or the most beneficial?

I'm running SubRoost with Will-O-Wisp which is why I use said spread.

rot1npieces said:
Hey guys, is there an up to date thread similar to this one? http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ou-team-building.3475759/

That thread was really useful and is more useful than a "teir" list of S class monsters like Charizard X without context.
It hasn't been updated in a really long time, but there is a similar thread here. You may still want to reference the OU viability thread in addition to this thread since some of the more viable threats aren't found in the team building thread.

I'm EV Training my Shiny Jolly Charmander. On Showdown I use 248 HP 244 SpD 16 Spe for Lv 100. How to convert to Lv 50 for it to outspeed the same thing or the most beneficial?

I'm running SubRoost with Will-O-Wisp which is why I use said spread.
The formula for not wasting EVs at level 50 is EVs / 8 + IVs / 2 has to equal a whole number.
HP: 248 / 8 = 31, 31 / 2 = 15.5, which means a total of 46.5 so you're wasting some EVs because pokemon always rounds down.
SpD: 244 / 8 = 30.5 + 15.5 (31/2) = 46.0, so that works out fine without wasting anything.
Spe: 16 speed EVs DOES waste some, though, because 16 / 8 = 2 + 15.5 = 17.5.

Since an extra point in speed matters much more than an extra point in HP, you should move 4 EVs from HP to Speed for a spread of 244 HP / 244 SpD / 20 Spe.

This though assumes that all relevant IVs are 31.

The formula for level 50 is EVs / 8 + IVs / 2 has to equal a whole number.
HP: 248 / 8 = 31, 31 / 2 = 15.5, which means a total of 46.5 so you're wasting some EVs because pokemon always rounds down.
SpD: 244 / 8 = 30.5 + 15.5 (31/2) = 46.0, so that works out fine without wasting anything.
Spe: 16 speed EVs DOES waste some, though, because 16 / 8 = 2 + 15.5 = 17.5.

Since an extra point in speed matters much more than an extra point in HP, you should move 4 EVs from HP to Speed for a spread of 244 HP / 244 SpD / 20 Spe.

This though assumes that all relevant IVs are 31.
However I have to either put 252 or 236 in HP as I want it to be an odd number for an extra switch into Rocks.

Was about to come back and edit the post but I believe one of these 2 is the more beneficial, just don't know which. Speed EVs I believe I put there to be able to Burn any Breloom/Bisharp before it attacks. Gets 1 point more than every maxed out base 70 w/ the 20 so that should stay.

252 HP / 236 SpD / 20 Spe = 185 HP 135 SpD

or

236 HP / 252 SpD / 20 Spe = 183 HP 137 SpD

However I have to either put 252 or 236 in HP as I want it to be an odd number for an extra switch into Rocks.

Was about to come back and edit the post but I believe one of these 2 is the more beneficial, just don't know which. Speed EVs I believe I put there to be able to Burn any Breloom/Bisharp before it attacks. Gets 1 point more than every maxed out base 70 w/ the 20 so that should stay.

252 HP / 236 SpD / 20 Spe = 185 HP 135 SpD

or

236 HP / 252 SpD / 20 Spe = 183 HP 137 SpD
Oh right, I forgot about rocks. Honestly, it doesn't really matter which of those two you put. Technically, the first gives you a little "more" bulk on both sides, whereas the second gives you "more" special bulk than the first but no "more" physical bulk. I put "more" in quotes because the differences are so small you're not likely to notice either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 12)