Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, what's the standard set for Mega Glalie these days? I've been using this set:

Glalie @ Glalite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Return
- Earthquake
- Explosion

And I've almost never been able to get spikes up because it's defenses are so dang low. Is there a much more viable set that I can use as an ultra powerful nuke/great team member in general?

Hi everyone, what's the standard set for Mega Glalie these days? I've been using this set:

Glalie @ Glalite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Return
- Earthquake
- Explosion

And I've almost never been able to get spikes up because it's defenses are so dang low. Is there a much more viable set that I can use as an ultra powerful nuke/great team member in general?
You might want to trade spikes for Ice Shard if you need priority or Freeze Dry if you want to nail Water types. Explosion is what makes manly men manly and there is nothing that will nuke harder than it. I find Rotom-W to be a good partner for Glalie since it can eat up a lot of physical attacks. You could also go Choice Band Talonflame as your wincon: Glailie obliterates what walls Talon and Talon cleans up late game. Tell me what you think.

You might want to trade spikes for Ice Shard if you need priority or Freeze Dry if you want to nail Water types. Explosion is what makes manly men manly and there is nothing that will nuke harder than it. I find Rotom-W to be a good partner for Glalie since it can eat up a lot of physical attacks. You could also go Choice Band Talonflame as your wincon: Glailie obliterates what walls Talon and Talon cleans up late game. Tell me what you think.
I was actually brainstorming something like that for a while :D

Glalie @ Glalite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty/Naive Nature
- Freeze Dry
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Explosion

Just a full on-attacker. The only things for me, however, are the choice between Freeze Dry and Ice Shard (although I'm leaning more towards FD to nail bulky waters who think they can wall; on the other hand, though, ice shard OHKOs Mega Sceptile) and the nature. Is there anything important to outspeed for Mega Glalie? Or should power be focused on?

And I had no idea about Talonflame, although I have worked with Rotom-W. I'm definitely going to have to try those two out... and get some great hazard support for them as well, now that I think about it haha.

Is Shadow Tag banned in OU ? I tried to trap a Ferrothorn with my Gothitelle two times but it switched out succesfully even though it didn't have a shed shell.

Is Shadow Tag banned in OU ? I tried to trap a Ferrothorn with my Gothitelle two times but it switched out succesfully even though it didn't have a shed shell.
I can definitely tell you that it's not banned in OU. As to why the Ferrothorn escaped, do you at least know what item the Ferrothorn had?

EDIT FOR BELOW: Eldrake you are correct: If both mons switch out in the same turn and one person switches in a Shadow Tag user that turn, the switching will still work.

I was actually brainstorming something like that for a while :D

Glalie @ Glalite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty/Naive Nature
- Freeze Dry
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Explosion

Just a full on-attacker. The only things for me, however, are the choice between Freeze Dry and Ice Shard (although I'm leaning more towards FD to nail bulky waters who think they can wall; on the other hand, though, ice shard OHKOs Mega Sceptile) and the nature. Is there anything important to outspeed for Mega Glalie? Or should power be focused on?

And I had no idea about Talonflame, although I have worked with Rotom-W. I'm definitely going to have to try those two out... and get some great hazard support for them as well, now that I think about it haha.
I looked in the tier list and there doesn't seem to be anything important that you're outspeeding besides tying with other base 100s and Jolly Excadrill without Scarf if you didn't run a +Speed nature. You should go Adamant/Naughty if you're planning on nuking, though. I forgot to mention in my other post that Glalie loves hazard control since he's 2x weak to Stealth Rock.

I can definitely tell you that it's not banned in OU. As to why the Ferrothorn escaped, do you at least know what item the Ferrothorn had?
It didn't show any item (maybe it was Rocky Helmet, dunno I didn't attack it with physical mons) but here is what happened;
1. he switches in Ferrothorn on my Gardevoir's hyper voice.
2. I switch to Goth as he puts up Stealth Rocks.
3. I click Specs HP Fire but he switches out to Latias.
4. game continues, he comes back in with his Ferrothorn on my Garchomp as I put up my rocks.
5. I go back to Goth as he Power Whips.
6. I click HP Fire and he switches out again to Latias.
7. I check and re-check times and times again to see if I had Shadow Tag, and yes I did.
8. Mind Blown.

It didn't show any item (maybe it was Rocky Helmet, dunno I didn't attack it with physical mons) but here is what happened;
1. he switches in Ferrothorn on my Gardevoir's hyper voice.
2. I switch to Goth as he puts up Stealth Rocks.
3. I click Specs HP Fire but he switches out to Latias.
4. game continues, he comes back in with his Ferrothorn on my Garchomp as I put up my rocks.
5. I go back to Goth as he Power Whips.
6. I click HP Fire and he switches out again to Latias.
7. I check and re-check times and times again to see if I had Shadow Tag, and yes I did.
8. Mind Blown.
If it didn't show any item, then he definitely had shed shell. Shed shell allows a pokemon to bypass things like shadow tag and magnet pull.

Wow, I have been playing for a long time and I always thought it was one use only... thanks for the clarification guys!

I looked in the tier list and there doesn't seem to be anything important that you're outspeeding besides tying with other base 100s and Jolly Excadrill without Scarf if you didn't run a +Speed nature. You should go Adamant/Naughty if you're planning on nuking, though. I forgot to mention in my other post that Glalie loves hazard control since he's 2x weak to Stealth Rock.
Great! :) Sounds good.

And one last question: would you personally recommend freeze dry or ice shard?

I don't think there's one that's generally better than the other; it's just what you feel your team needs. If you feel you need decently powerful priority that also beats scarf lando/chomp/whatever else is 4X weak to it, go with ice shard. If you feel glalie needs more coverage not provided by it's teammates or you wanna fuck with waters in general, go with freeze-dry

I personally prefer Freeze Dry because fuck Rotom-W and his unborn children. It gives you a way to deal with Water types that would want to eat up physical Ice attacks. Only take it if you have a way of dealing with Landorus-T because that thing is more broken than a crack whore's self esteem.

Sorry for the redundant question, but why is Mega CroBro considered outclasses by it's offensive sets? Is it because of set up pokemon or is there another reason I'm missing because on paper it seems like a monster. Thanks!

What's the preferred STAB on Metagross if I am planning on using three coverage moves? I'm running Grass Knot / Hammer Arm / Ice Punch at the moment, and leaning towards Zen Headbutt over Meteor Mash.

What's the preferred STAB on Metagross if I am planning on using three coverage moves? I'm running Grass Knot / Hammer Arm / Ice Punch at the moment, and leaning towards Zen Headbutt over Meteor Mash.
I consider meteor mash better, but hey whatever rocks your boat is fine to me.

It may really just depend on the rest of your team. Just going down the viability list from S to A-, Meteor Mash gives you a cleaner answer to Clefable, Altaria, Gardevoir, Diancie, Aerodactyl, and Tyranitar, while Zen Headbutt gives you a cleaner answer to Keldeo, Rotom-W, Venusaur, and Heracross. Ultimately I'd just go down the viability list and see what's left that you need an answer for. That should help you decide between the two.

Last edited:
It may really just depend on the rest of your team. Just going down the viability list from S to A-, Zen Headbutt gives you a cleaner answer to Clefable, Altaria, Gardevoir, Diancie, Aerodactyl, and Tyranitar, while Zen Headbutt gives you a cleaner answer to Keldeo, Rotom-W, Venusaur, and Heracross. Ultimately I'd just go down the viability list and see what's left that you need an answer for. That should help you decide between the two.
Meteor Mash. I'd take Meteor over Zen 9/10 times just to hit more stuff. You'll still nuke Fighting and Poison types with MegaGross, anyway.

Last edited:
I see this mentioned a lot, but on Keldeo, what does Hidden Power Ghost even hit? The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is Jellicent, which isn't even worth using it for. Psychic types get nailed hard enough by Hydro Pump, so am I missing something? Maybe the Lati twins, but there's Icy Wind for them...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)