ORAS UU Viability Ranking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeoLancaster

does this still work
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Camerupt isn't really better in OU. It only seems like that because it's rank is technically higher in OU (C+ vs C). Remember, UU has no subranks for C.

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
I don't think its really fair to nominate any changes until the meta has settled a little bit and an announcement regarding whether there will be any more quick bans made or not, for example had Pinsir stayed and Terrakion the nominations for Doublade would have gone through the roof, being the only thing to be able to reasonably check both while bringing a great defensive typing. I just don't think its worth nominating changes based on a metagame that could very well change quickly and then having to go back and undo the nominations. Just my 2 cents.

Definitely supporting Maero for S. Been messing around with bulky taunt Aero on the ladder and it just puts in a ton of work vs. Balance and Offense checking dangerous shit like Serp, Entei, and the new fighting types while stopping recovery and set up while also being able to take hits.

Not sure if anyone said this yet but...
upload_2015-2-3_22-45-21.png
Machamp for A/A-
With the addition of Hera (and possibly Terrak if it stays lol) Machamp has a lot more competition as a fighting type wall breaker on teams. And while Machamp may be bulkier, it's much less versatile than Hera which can run a plethora of sets such as Band, Scarf, SD 3 Attacks, Sub SD etc while Machamp basically only runs AV or Band. Arguably the only set for Machamp now is AV since Hera utilizes CB much better since Band Champ runs CC guts which compromises its amazing bulk while Hera doesn't really care too much about its bulk.

I'd like to nominate Lilligant for at least a D rank. With sleep powder and quiver dance [and without the 4x weakness to SR], Lilligant can set up on anything not named Roserade or Chesnaught and go from there. Sorry if this is sudden or bad, I'm fairly new to the UU tier. Also, there's a ton of bulky water types in this tier that Lilligant preys on.

dingbat

snek
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I'd like to nominate Lilligant for at least a D rank. With sleep powder and quiver dance [and without the 4x weakness to SR], Lilligant can set up on anything not named Roserade or Chesnaught and go from there. Sorry if this is sudden or bad, I'm fairly new to the UU tier. Also, there's a ton of bulky water types in this tier that Lilligant preys on.
D rank is only for 'mons in UU, and liligant is not in UU. Therefore no rank.

The rank shifts are gonna be really fun with these drops...

In any case, Lilligant just really isn't viable. It's too frail, relies too much on hax, is vulnerable to priority, and is in most cases walled by every single fire type due to it's running a grass move and hp fire.

Hi, I've been going on Smogon for a while now, but I am still sort of new here, so sorry if I say something that's already been talked about to death...a few weeks ago, I heard that Mega Medicham had fallen significantly in usage (I mean, why wouldn't it, when there's Mega Gallade?), enough to be considered for UU. Is MegaCham still being tested, or is it remaining in BL?

It's also currently only C+ Rank in OU, not because it doesn't do well there, but because of the fact that it's become almost completely outclassed, and that its base 100 Speed is not nearly what it used to be. Of course, the main reason you wouldn't want it in UU is because it would terrorize the metagame with its stupidly high Attack...but I'd just like to know what the current situation is on this Pokémon.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hi, I've been going on Smogon for a while now, but I am still sort of new here, so sorry if I say something that's already been talked about to death...a few weeks ago, I heard that Mega Medicham had fallen significantly in usage (I mean, why wouldn't it, when there's Mega Gallade?), enough to be considered for UU. Is MegaCham still being tested, or is it remaining in BL?
Megacham is BL.

Pinsir for B+/B-
¿Pinsir? Why would i even use that having Heracross. Got similar movepools (Pinsir has no megahorn lel), Hera has STAB Close Combat, resist to ground, both have moxies, etc... ¿What Pinsir has that Hera doesn't? EQ Mold Breaker.
Pinsir breaks stuff like rotom and Bronzong (great check for Salamence). Heracross is much better, but Pinsir's movepool seems a little better than Haxorus. Haxorus does not get Knock off neither stone edge, but he has STAB outrage. He is a thing.
Rotom and Bronzong are nowhere near relevant enough for Pinsir to be used over Heracross. Hell, Heracross doesn't really have a problem with them with Close Combat and Knock Off.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Well just a few initial thoughts

It's probably a bit too early to discuss these two, but from what's been seen and given past stints of Mence and Heracross in UU, it's pretty obvious these two should get a high ranking like A+ or even S (S would be cool for Salamence). Heracross is a really good wallbreaker in this metagame, it's basically a better Machamp and has pretty good power and nice coverage in its STABs, which both have high BP. It's a monster against stall teams with Megahorn/Close Combat/Knock Off and it just hits stuff pretty hard. Guts is also a clutch ability as a whole and Heracross has alright bulk to use. It can also run SD which is really cool, or even CB, and to an extent it can use ScarfMoxie decently well albeit facing competition from Krookodile as well as Salamence. Salamence is quite cool, FatMence is cool to counter a lot of prominent physical mons very well thanks to its typing, Roost, and Defog allowing it to last a while while removing hazards, and it can phaze if you want. Its DD set is also very decent, as it has enough bulk to set up and is quite threatening after a boost or two. Salamence can also run ScarfMoxie like Krookodile and Heracross, only it has OUTRAGE and better Speed to outpace the Hydra which is awesome, and it again has good coverage. Idk whether these are A+ or S but they definitely deserve to be rather high in ranking from what I've seen.

I love Heliolisk. It's always been a really cool Pokemon because Dry Skin is such a clutch ability with all the stuff like Suicune and other bulky Water-types running abound in UU, and it's a nice Electric-type with good power and Speed+Volt Switch as well as coverage with Grass Knot, Surf, and/or Focus Blast which make it a really cool mon. With Raikou gone, Heliolisk has less competition for a teamslot and it can fulfill its role really well with its Speed and coverage, and it's a fairly neat Pokemon overall. The only problem I have with this mon is that it's very frail, but it hits fairly hard, is fast, and has good coverage, and its ability is awesome, so it can definitely use a rise to B-, it's such a cool mon and I like it a lot. Also Heliolisk is actually really cute like Fletchinder.

Slurpuff was just a niche sweeper that needed a lot of support to work well for a long time now, but it's actually starting to become quite good. Its Belly Drum set is a very lethal late-game sweeper in this metagame, as it can set up on quite a few mons, such as the newcomers Salamence and Heracross, many Fighting-types like Mienshao, Hydreigon, and more thanks to its great typing and manageable bulk. And it only needs one turn to set up, as at max power and double the Speed thanks to Unburden, Slurpuff becomes an absolute monster that is hard to stop once it sets up and its counters have been weakened, much like Fletchinder. Slurpuff is an absolute monster with Play Rough and Return to just muscle through teams like a hot knife through butter, and Drain Punch allows it to heal off Belly Drum damage and dent weakened Mega Aggron, which is always nice. It's a cool offensive Fairy-type and late-game cleaner. B+ might be too high, but that's acceptable for it and B wouldn't hurt either.

This mon could probably drop. It's mostly outclassed by Heracross now because the latter has Megahorn and Swords Dance, plus it's much faster than Machamp. Machamp is useful, but mostly outclassed now. A drop wouldn't hurt at all.

Also Medicham is a piece of garbage and should be removed, there's no reason to use it over any Fighting-type in the tier, especially with heracross being UU again.

Just a few initial thoughts.

Just gonna say that I think you're underselling Heliolisk there, it also has the ability to outspeed and KO Terrakion with Grass Knot and beat Suincune 1v1, and personally I've been also using it to lure and 2HKO Gligar with HP Ice to support Heracross.

I'll post more when I'm on my laptop later, but I think it should be at least get B-Rank.

dingbat

snek
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Made some changes

I edited some of the gen 1-4 'mons with moving sprites :]

Comment if you'd like to see the reasoning for those changes. Otherwise I won't

I'd like to know if Suicune is still worthy of S rank.

Salamence and Terrakion added to S
Heracross added to A+
Slurpuff moved to B
Heliolisk moved to B-
Machamp moved to B+
Krook moved to A
Mega Aero moved to S
Serperior moved to S
Medicham moved to C

Last edited:
Serperior seeing more sets dedicated to keeping it around longer have opened up it abusing Glare, which is starting to really fuck up the metagame, especially with Jirachi's and Celebi's departure, two Pokemon who could stand to eat one or two boosted Leaf Storms.

Scarf Jirachi no longer being a thing means Mega Aerodactyl lost a HUGE check, letting it much more effectively check a number of offensive Pokemon, including all four drops, now three since Pinsirite has been rightfully Kicked Upstairs. Aqua Tail 2HKOs Terrakion (OHKOs after a defense drop or two), Aerial Ace OHKOs Heracross, and Stone Edge OHKOs Salamence.

It'd be nice if you listed out all the changes you made each time you did like every other tier does, I've noticed a couple times that you've changed things in the OP without even posting about it

I don't think you need detailed explanations for each and every one considering changes should be based on (at least partially) discussion itt, but having the list of changes for posterity's sake would be nice.

Dingbat did post the changes. As long as the changes are self explanatory then there really is no need for explanations in my opinion but I'll take a stab at some reasoning for the changes.

Salamence and Terrakion added to S / These are the tiers current gods and should probably be banned asap
Heracross added to A+ / This was Machamp's rank before drops and Heracross outclasses Machamp for the most part
Slurpuff moved to B / Jirachi was one of the most common checks by virtue of its resistances and is now gone
Heliolisk moved to B- / Rise in viability is because it no longer has competition in Raikou
Machamp moved to B+ / Outclassed by Heracross
Krook moved to A / Threatened out by several new additions, could very likely see a rise once bans happen and tier settles
Mega Aero moved to S / Can RK a very large portion of the tier and no longer has to worry about ScarfRachi
Serperior moved to S / Jirachi leaving and Serperior's speed tier improving give it the rank it deserved a week ago
Medicham moved to C / Outclassed further than it already was by Heracross

Now I'll give my opinions on Suicune. All of the mons that have gone to OU could in some way check Suicune and the only one that dropped that fares well is Heracross. Serperior is problematic for Suicune but it can run other sets that can threaten Grass types like SubCM or CMTailwind which already beat some of its standard counters. Every team still needs something that can beat CroCune 1v1 and we lost more than we gained in that department. In my opinion Suicune is suspect worthy and should stay S rank.

Made some changes

I edited some of the gen 1-4 'mons with moving sprites :]

Comment if you'd like to see the reasoning for those changes. Otherwise I won't

I'd like to know if Suicune is still worthy of S rank.
I demand Justice all mons from those gens need to be moving or wearing a sombrero or at least
also to make this post less useless few changes that can be discussed

Doublade to B+:
Worth a disscussion while its "claim to fame" this meta is checking Terrakion,Flying types like Crobat,Mega Aero are more a lot more common and will probably get even more common if terra leaves he is one of the best checks to flying types in the tier that don't need a mega since the only flying types he loses to is Mega Pidgeot due to heat wave and Maybe Fletch with a Burn although the fact its speciall bulk is soo terrible it can lose 1v1 even to mons who only have resisted moves vrs it.heck even myself is not 100% sold on this move.

I know this is like the most pointless thing ever but don't we techincally have to have Pinsir in D since all the "bad" UU mons need to be there if they are on the tier due to the VR Policy?

Effort post b/c I am bored @ work
S Rank:
Mega Aerodactyl - Deserved. Relatively fast fighting spam is en vogue, even with M Medi back in BL. M Aero runs all over that shit and hits decently hard, can be a win con, revenge killer all in one.. i dont think anyone is complaining about this tbh
Salamence - I disagree w/ S for Salamence but maybe because im just heinously shit with him. Honestly every time ive tried to throw him on a team I cant get shit done. There are just enough fairies and fat pieces of garbage in the tier that I dont like scarfing into outrage, moxie is telegraphed insanely obviously so any half decent player switches out instead of saccing if at all possible, the special set seems like straight garbage to me. But, all things considered, my ranking would probably be lower A, which means im probably doing something wrong lol
Serperior - haha i remember when we were all waiting for contr. serp everyone was saying oh it'd be RU, not that good in UU, etc. this is a viable poke imo. great speed, hits like a truck to the point where hidden power at 2x effectiveness is solid coverage after a switch in leaf storm, glare is an incredible move, has access to synth and leech seed. i like S for it, if not A+, but f it S is fine.
Suicune - not really too much to say. i think its an obvious S rank.
Terrakion - alright everyone keeps telling me dual dance is best for terrak and while that is probably true i can't bring myself to not use banded yet. banded hits ludicrously hard, and with UU being such a bulky tier having the ability to force a healing move or simply kill something (or put it in 2hko range from CC) is incredible. i hope he doesn't go up b/c while he is S definitely for me, he is not overcentralizing. but maybe double dance is even better idk.

A Rank:

A+ Rank

Crobat - frankly i'd have kept him S. switches in NP on serp's leaf storm every time basically and threatens with brave bird. the ludicrous amount of utility + longevity crobat offers while STILL being able to have a decently offensive presence is, to me, unmatched in the tier. but then the S tier is getting silly and big i guess.
Entei - A+ is good for entei bc while SF spam (and flare blitz) are both really fun and can easily beat any team not prepared for it, folks have found creative ways around entei that are not super hard to pull off. a great mon though.
Heracross - move him up to S. scarf, band, flame orb, life orb, sd, cc, se, knock off, moxie, status absorber, scald taker.. there is wayyy too much going on with hera for him not to be S just IMO.
Hydreigon - move down, probably to A-, hell maybe even B+. i hate thinking that b/c Hydra is probably my favorite pokemon too lol but dark pulse spam got a lot harder with terrak in the tier, and less viable with both celebi and jirachi leaving (tho the latter is good for draco spam i guess). he's still pretty good, i think scarf set is best and have used it a lot but i just dont think the damage output is necessarily there to justify A+.
Mienshao - sure. i dont like anything that needs a high risk move to be at its best but w/e ppl use it well

A Rank

Mega Aggron - ehhhhh i'd put him A- just based on what he checks and counters straight up.
Alakazam - focus sash got a lot better with the fighting drops so A is probably good. if/when they go back up i'd drop him IMO, even with jirachi and celebi leaving
Mega Beedrill - best u-turner etc etc. whatever, M aero wrecks him which is cool but A rank is good because the dude is a hell of a cleaner.
Mega Blastoise - i love M blast in this tier. can poke away at mons with great coverage and spin is good support, put any sort of wish passer in tandem with him and he's a pain in the ass to deal with
Krookodile - i like Krook but i think he should be A- because frankly he isn't as good just IMO with terrak/hera dropping and celebi/jirachi moving up.
Nidoqueen - yep
Mega Pidgeot - hurricane spam is good and made better with fighting drops
Swampert - better than M Swamp so i guess so.
Mega Swampert - ehhhhh nah no thanks, think it should move to B/B+. doesnt offer enough to a team, IMO, to make up for taking a mega slot. extremely susceptible to any sort of status sans para, and frankly wouldn't you want a water/ground to be a sacred fire switch in? m swamp can't do that because the burn ends his game
Tentacruel - tentacruel's utility is great, can check a lot of things, scald spam and toxic spikes own, just watch for the one layer of t spikes giving hera a guts boots i guess.
Yanmega - yanmega is baller and tinted lens is cool. right rank

A- Rank

Mega Absol - can be a great win con but getting off the M evo is difficult from my perspective. A-/B+
Mega Ampharos - i think he's good against bulky waters and momentum gaining, and strong volt switch puts pressure on fairy switch ins so A/A- is good
Azelf - great suicide lead keep it here
Chandelure - chandelure is incredible, specs hits insanely hard and sub cm is amazing and there is also a great niche for scarf set. A- is good rank
Chesnaught - with good support this thing is a beast, is the master of the whittle in the tier with spikes/leech seed/spiky shield. those little bits of damage that ches gets throughout a match make setting up a wincon that much easier. A- good rank
Cresselia - incredible in this meta i think. A/A-
Empoleon - weaker with the drops, still a good special wall and gets good utility. good rank
Florges - better in this meta, good utility, UU is a stally tier and wish passing is important so good rank
Gligar - maybe its bc i wasn't high enough ladder and didnt play in any tournaments for a lot of XY but the rise of this dude has been incredible to me. i dont like him just because i like more offensive stuff but seeing one on the other team is always a pain in the neck for me.
Infernape - SR setter, mixape is good, keep it here
Lucario - honestly i think a bit worse because it requires a turn of setup most of the time and is outclassed by immediate damage from better options, but can hang on here on the strength of espeed alone
Mega Sceptile - pretty good
Mega Sharpedo - pretty good
Shaymin - not that great and there are a LOT of things that can stall out seed flare i have found. but then again i guess its coverage is pretty good esp would be in this meta so im probably talking out of my ass.
Umbreon - bad and i think it should be b-. umbreon can be decent but the b rank description is much more suited to how it is in UU right now.
Vaporeon - i think vape is incredible, only reason that it should probably stay ranked A- is because of the competition it faces for its role, but this thing is a bulky water that i think does not lose momentum that bad which is good.

B Rank:
B+ Rank

Arcanine - i guess the bulky defensive set is pretty good now, but i would never go offensive with this in this day and age
Aromatisse - pretty good and really annoying to face and also a heinously ugly sprite and design. drop it based on the design alone.
Blissey - should probably drop in a physically oriented fighting type oriented metagame
Cobalion - will die immediately from a single CC from any of the dudes just dropped in but i guess takes dragon moves from salamence?
Darmanitan - darm can be really good! celebi rising i guess drops its viability
Donphan - i unironically don't see the point in using this over better options
Dragalge - amazing wallbreaker
Haxorus - double dance is cool but this dude is frail af.
Hippowdon - hippo owns and will be good this meta IMO. bulky af, phazeing is cool, whittle with SS, slack off great recovery, decent damage output with EQ
Kyurem - haven't really played against it enough to know
Machamp - probably should drop based on competition
Nidoking - wish it was a little bit faster
Reuniclus - i guess could rise based on the meta.
Roserade - good hazard setter, and i like cleaning up t spikes without having to spin, hits pretty hard offensively too so stay here
Rotom-C - sure
Rotom-H - willo is good, esp now, and can keep good momentum with turning.
Slowking - next best thing since slowbro died RIP
Snorlax - bulky AF and a fun wincon but too situational so actually i guess this is a good ranking
Toxicroak - i like that it can solo crocune
Whimsicott - people have been fun and creative with this mon and i hope to see it more despite me hating it back in early XY when the only thing folks ran was sub leech seed

B Rank

Mega Abomasnow - the dude mega snow is gonna face problems with a lot of CCs running around but is still cool v Bulky waters who will be just as popular in the face of those CCs.
Alomomola - could see this being very good this meta paired with the dude below it
Amoonguss - could see this being very good this meta paired with the dude above it
Doublade - obviously very good now, puts a stop to a TON of things, just gotta watch that knock off lol
Escavalier - this is a mon i hope to see rise in usage because i like what it does, hits nice and hard too, cool coverage, but i think this is the right ranking for him
Fletchinder - idk
Forretress - i like him better than donphan bc of volt switch
Froslass - what happened to so many people using this as a lead? is it bc the tier got bulkier so offense got less popular so suicide leads got less cool.
Granbull - think this will raise in rank bc of its viability against guys being spammed now
Honchkrow - cool hard hitter, but as a wincon it suffers having to play prediction games. bb is good in the meta i guess. B good rank
Jellicent - idk
Noivern - fast and strong and if m aero continues to be used i think this dude can rise a lil but B is proabably right
Porygon-Z - ehhh i like the idea, but too slow without scarf and too many switch ins with it/
Rhyperior - idk this is good i guess
Sharpedo - speed boost is really cool and can be used for m aero, but hits just a bit too light to rise and i dont like using hydro to secure kills
Shuckle - i heartily disagree
Slurpuff - this should rise bc it sets up on so many things in the meta. standard set is obv the best but it'll be so effective i think. maybe A-?
Stoutland - really? i guess a hippo/stout sand team but frankly i just dont see it
Tornadus - has a decent amount of options but is situational in effectiveness so this is good

B- Rank

Braviary -
Bronzong - my boy bronzong deserve a B ranking because he is bulky and can explode and set SRs and screens which are all nice.
Drapion - idk
Dugtrio - OHKOs Terrak if banded, maybe move him up just on that? otherwise he's trapping literally 0 in the tier
Feraligatr - feels like a jack of all trades master of none. has decent bulk and typing, but there are bulkier mons with the same typing. can set up to sweep, but there are mons that set up more effectively and sweep better. can hit decently hard, but there are mons with better first turn output. B-/C
Galvantula - if you can keep web up you can own in this meta. all of a sudden you're playing a whole different game. who is the best defogger in the tier? crobat? boom thunder. maybe you wanna spin it away, so you bring in a blastoise? boom, thunder. forretress has a bit of prior damage and wants to spin? he better watch out because anything more than like 10% and he's taking a 2HKO from thunder. sneaky defog on the aerodactyl? thunder. they got a magic bouncer for whatever reason, you hit em with a bug buzz or a thunder. idk i like galvantula.
Mega Glalie
Goodra - goodra is good! bulky and can run a few different sets and yesterday i lost a UUSET bc someone has curse phazing goodra lol move it to B
Heliolisk - actually much better in this metagame bc of what it checks and its speed and relative power. B
Kingdra - critdra can't really set up so this is a fine ranking
Magneton - for the 45 minutes while mega pinsir was legal again i was thinking of trying to do that whole zone/pinsir thing UU version. but what is magneton trapping that's really that big of an issue? forretress? i guess so. but aggron isn't going to care that much 0 Atk Mega Aggron Earthquake vs. 124 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Magneton: 272-320 (100 - 117.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO. so i guess at that juncture you just run analytic specs volt switch which is actually kind of cool but i'd have to play aorund with it more to see if it would deserve moving up.
Meloetta
Pangoro - cool coverage but outclassed IMO move to C.
Porygon-2 - dies to fighting spam so idk. fine ranking i guess
Qwilfish - cool typing + intimidate.. might be good these days on choiced CCs..
Seismitoad
Spiritomb - underrated i think. hits hard, pursuit to finish off pesky mons, willo, etc. i think B
Togetic - sure
Virizion - okay
Weezing - alright
Zoroark - dude can't switch in on anything but if you wanna have fun pretending to be another mon be my guest

C Rank:

Aerodactyl - i think he could be higher tbh. B-/B+. fast taunt, roost, sr, sash or something.
Mega Audino - D rank
Mega Camerupt - eh i guess C is ok.
Cloyster - this thing can be a dangerous setup sweeper but yet again most of the things he has to break are type effective against him, and offensively he wont really get that turn most of the time.
Cofagrigus - i think cofag can rise because of the popular mons in the meta, decent bulk, willo, pain split, etc.
Ditto - i guess he's fine if for some reason you are super weak to setup sweepers
Durant - i dont like durant and think he is bad so i guess C is fine
Emboar - idk i think a LO set can really get some traction in the tier if built around but who wants to do that right
Espeon - not bad if you hate hazards and can hit a bunch of the fighters for SE with good special attack. maybe B-
Exploud - slow and incredibly situational so yeah
Ferroseed - outclassed
Flygon - outclassed
Gastrodon - fun stop to crocune but aside from that its whatever. C is good
Golbat - dont really ever see a point to using this
Gourgeist (Super) - same as above
Mega Houndoom - cool speed but fire/dark spam doesn't have a huge place in a water/fighting heavy meta
Kabutops - lol if only drizzle weren't banned my friend
Medicham - garbage in the face of competition honestly i'd put it at D
Mismagius - yeah
Moltres - 4x weak to stealth rocks isnt working out in UU
Omastar - this dude can hit decently hard!
Quagsire - uhh
Shedinja - the C rank description fits it best but honestly the shedinja stall teams are creative and fun and if there was a C+ tier it'd be there. highest is possible B- but C is fine.
Mega Steelix - its pretty bulky but weak to f spam and thats what its gonna have to wall so if you want something similar use mega aggron
Xatu - sure but i dont see a point to using it if you have espeon available

D rank: Reserved for Pokemon that are still in the UnderUsed tier, but are, simply put, ineffective in this meta.

Milotic - idk never see anyone use it
Scrafty - bad
Trevenant - can burn terrak and salamence i guess lol
Lot of words

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)