Monotype Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know slurpuff has already been done, but I suggest a new set that is oras-updated.

I nominate this slurpuff for.... Rank A?

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 132 HP / 188 Atk / 188 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch

Explaining it: This is the same slurpuff set that works very well in NU. It cannot be shut down with status easily because of Aromatherapy. It has coverage because of drain punch, so it can take down steel teams. Basicly, it is a faster but weaker Azumarill with coverage and that can heal. I have had this guy take down entire teams before, due to the fact it can sweep and heal. It can also take a couple hits.

Weaknesses: Revenge killers, Pokemon resistant to fighting and fairy, hard hitting defensive pokemon, confusion, foul play, being put to sleep. Most of these can be countered though.

I know slurpuff has already been done, but I suggest a new set that is oras-updated.

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Adamant Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch

Explaining it: This is the same slurpuff set that works very well in NU. It cannot be shut down with status easily because of Aromatherapy. It has coverage because of drain punch, so it can take down steel teams. Basicly, it is a faster but weaker Azumarill with coverage and that can heal. I have had this guy take down entire teams before, due to the fact it can sweep and heal. It can also take a couple hits.

Weaknesses: Revenge killers, Pokemon resistant to fighting and fairy, hard hitting defensive pokemon, confusion, foul play, being put to sleep. Most of these can be countered though.
With the lack of physical sweepers for Fairy, I support this. Fairy needs this, and Slurpuff is on nearly every Fairy team now.

truedrew

Banned deucer.

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Adamant Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch

Honestly I think b rank is more appropriate as slurpuff is VERY predictable and almost everybody knows what it will do so that is very hard pressed to set up as it lacks the resistances and bulk that azu has. Also most fairy teams would (by my exposure at least) be hard pressed to run slurpuff seeing as they have no space for it seeing as they have a very limited amount of "free" team slots seeing as members such as azumarill scarf gard dogekiss and mega diancie along side clef are staples in so many fairy teams alongside klefki there is just no room for slurpuff. Furthermore seeing the highest level of laddering in stats, it's evident how underwhelming slurpuffs usage is as it sits at 10th place at 9% whereas the previously mentioned poke Mon are all well above 25% usage just showing how much of an issue it would be to fit it in on a team. Couple that with it's succeptabillity to priority and base 108 scarfers it means that it just ain't that good. Also the fact that most monotype have pokemon that can live and cripple it combined with the necessity of hazard removal means that it cannot function as well as it would like to. Also a small nitpick, you list some things in counters,but fail to elaborate at all how or what support it needs or even explain the purpose of the eves are or what exactly does that 132 HP let you live as cping a nu set into monotype is pretty lazy imo and to just show you by why it's a bad spread is that chansey can live your hits. Granted chansey is very bulky but at 6+ attack your supposed to Ko a 8 defense pokemon. Also the speed is uneven as any 105 base above scarfers out speed you. 52HP 252attack 224speed is more optimised as it allows you to live most priority
252+ Atk Life Orb Mega Rayquaza Extreme Speed vs. 52 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 181-213 (56.9 - 66.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

THAT LITTLE SHIT LIVES MEGA BROKEMONS ADAMANT ESPEED SO IT HAS SOME SERIOUS BULK YO DON JUST UNDERWHELMINGLY PUT HP EVES WHEN YOU CAN HAVE A MUCH MORE OPTIMISED SET!

Tl;dr - explain it's role better and expand O those descriptions

I would like to suggest shaymin moving from...nothing? (unless im just blind) to C or B rank. (NOTE: Sorry for a long post)

Reason 1: Its Kawaii as fuck It has balanced stats allowing it to adapt different roles such as Special and Support

Reason 2: It can hold a variety of items such as Leftovers, Assault Vest, Lum Berry, Choice Scarf, Choice Specs and Life Orb

Reason 3: It can have a variety of natures such as Timid, Calm, and Modest

Sample Movesets

Support:

Shaymin @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Synthesis
- Healing Wish
- Aromatherapy
- Leech Seed

To start with Shaymin is usually switched in close to the middle of the match. It would synthesis or aromatherapy depending on the amount of hazards and status conditions my pokemon have. Next I'd leech seed to start taking health away from my opponent. I usually switch it out after this to keep it alive so that stall isnt a problem for me

Toxic Stall I guess?

Shaymin @ Leftovers
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Sunny Day
- Synthesis
- Toxic
- Hidden Power [Fire]

This set is very interesting for me. Whenever I use this particular shaymin i always sunny day to get that synthesis boost (higher amount) and hp fire power increase. Depending on its health i would either synthesis or toxic. Against steel this pretty much only has hidden power fire but i found hp fire & sunny day to be really helpful as this shaymin helped me win against a steel team and was useful against the few ice teams i encountered

Special
Shaymin @ Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Seed Flare
- Dazzling Gleam
- Air Slash
- Psychic

This Shaymin is a good middle-late game sweeper? (I dont know the right word) as it can dish out powerful hits while taking hits reasonably well with base 100 each defense. Its base 100 in everything makes both specs and scarf viable as 100 speed is decent. Personally i found myself using specs frequently. This shaymin is particularly skilled in its variety as it covers MOST types but has trouble with steel and fire.

Weaknesses:
  1. Taunt and Encore users if support
  2. These sets do not really cover Shaymins Weaknesses so it might not be the best for weaknesses covering
That is all ive encountered so far that I find a problem,

SOME CALCS

Defensive
252 SpA Heatran Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Shaymin: 284-336 (83 - 98.2%) --guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Chandelure Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Shaymin: 123-145 (35.9 - 42.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
44 SpA Life Orb Infernape Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Shaymin: 96-114 (28 - 33.3%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Low Kick (20 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0- Def Shaymin: 30-36 (8.7 - 10.5%) -- possibly the worst move ever
252+ SpA Choice Specs Empoleon Hidden Power Fire vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Shaymin: 154-182 (45 - 53.2%) -- 31.3% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Empoleon Flash Cannon vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Shaymin: 153-180 (44.7 - 52.6%) -- 21.9% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Suicune Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Shaymin: 122-144 (35.6 - 42.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Offensive
252+ SpA Choice Specs Shaymin Air Slash vs. 96 HP / 0 SpD Volcarona: 216-256 (64.4 - 76.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Shaymin Seed Flare vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Chandelure: 147-173 (56.3 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Shaymin Seed Flare vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mamoswine: 906-1068 (252.3 - 297.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Shaymin Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Crobat: 322-380 (103.5 - 122.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Shaymin Air Slash vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Infernape: 330-390 (112.6 - 133.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Shaymin Seed Flare vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Weavile: 307-363 (109.2 - 129.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Shaymin Seed Flare vs. -1 0 HP / 0- SpD Cloyster: 1688-1988 (700.4 - 824.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Shaymin Seed Flare vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Empoleon: 267-315 (71.9 - 84.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Shaymin Seed Flare vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 138-163 (21.4 - 25.3%) -- 99.7% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:

Slowking for B Rank on Water and Psychic

Assault Vest Attacker

Slowking @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 164 SpA / 92 SpD
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock / Psychic
- Ice Beam / Fire Blast
- Fire Blast / Power Gem

This set captures Slowking's charm remarkably well - with its huge special bulk, with an assault vest, it takes incredibly little from special attackers and is able to dish out a lot of damage of its own with its decent Sp. Atk stat. Furthermore, it has a very good movepool capable of surprising certain things. It can catch steels with Fire Blast, Grass, Dragon and Flying types with Ice Beam, and then have Psyshock and Scald for STAB moves - Scald is also useful for gambling with burns. Psychic can be run over shock, but this makes it vulnerable to special walls. Power Gem can be run over Fire Blast on water teams to check Mega Charizard Y, as it is able to bulk a Solar Beam and hit it back (check calcs, I kid you not).
164+ SpA Slowking Power Gem vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Charizard: 340-404 (114.4 - 136%) -- guaranteed OHKO
164+ SpA Slowking Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Galvantula: 306-360 (108.8 - 128.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
164+ SpA Slowking Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Venusaur: 182-216 (50 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
164+ SpA Slowking Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 312-368 (88.6 - 104.5%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
164+ SpA Slowking Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Genesect: 476-560 (168.1 - 197.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Charizard Solar Beam vs. 248 HP / 96 SpD Assault Vest Slowking: 132-156 (33.5 - 39.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Galvantula Thunder vs. 248 HP / 96 SpD Assault Vest Slowking: 168-198 (42.7 - 50.3%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Galvantula Bug Buzz vs. 248 HP / 96 SpD Assault Vest Slowking: 134-162 (34 - 41.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Venusaur Giga Drain vs. 248 HP / 96 SpD Assault Vest Slowking: 92-110 (23.4 - 27.9%) -- 82.2% chance to 4HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 96 SpD Assault Vest Slowking: 129-152 (32.8 - 38.6%) -- 98.9% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 248 HP / 96 SpD Assault Vest Slowking: 105-124 (26.7 - 31.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 96 SpD Assault Vest Slowking: 156-185 (39.6 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Tank

Slowking @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Psyshock / Ice Beam
- Toxic

Typical tank - Slowbro's twin with natural special bulk. There's not much to say about it here though - tanky Slowking is more impressive in OU than in Monotype, as Slowbro forms a great defensive core with Water's and Psychic's special walls. However, it deserves consideration when teambuilding.

Last edited:
I would like to suggest shaymin moving from...nothing? (unless im just blind) to C or B rank.
I used it uu a bit last gen, mostly as a 3 attack LO + rest set. It isn't particularly terrible in mono, since it can afford to take the passive damage that the lack of deffoger and switch in's with healing causes for grass teams. It can break walls pretty well until seed flare runs out of PP and use rest in a very fun way, as natural cure restores it's status when you switch it out. It even psuedo-scouts since, like manaphy and mew, it can afford to take something like a non-stab SE attack on the turn it's at full health.

Shaymin @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Seed Flare
- Dazzling Gleam
- Earth Power
- Rest

It's okay choiced, but it's coverage is lacking against flying pokemon in particular, so I prefer it on a LO or a seed set, although shaymin kinda likes having three attacks to have just enough coverage. It's still one of the most versatile fast sub seeders with natural cure, passable bulk, and still good wallbreaking power against neutral teams like psychic and dark, with the nice bonus of now being great against normal teams and av meloetta as well. It can push the -few- advantages grass already has a lot further than defensive pokemon and also gives you a nice option against mono teams that are weak against bulky offense if you decide to tinker with it's coverage.

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
I would like to suggest shaymin moving from...nothing? (unless im just blind) to C or B rank. (NOTE: Sorry for a long post)

Reason 1: Its Kawaii as fuck It has balanced stats allowing it to adapt different roles such as Special and Support

Reason 2: It can hold a variety of items such as Leftovers, Assault Vest, Lum Berry, Choice Scarf, Choice Specs and Life Orb

Sample Movesets

Support:

Shaymin @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Synthesis
- Healing Wish
- Aromatherapy
- Leech Seed

To start with Shaymin is usually switched in close to the middle of the match. It would synthesis or aromatherapy depending on the amount of hazards and status conditions my pokemon have. Next I'd leech seed to start taking health away from my opponent. I usually switch it out after this to keep it alive so that stall isnt a problem for me

Toxic Stall I guess?

Shaymin @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Sunny Day
- Synthesis
- Toxic
- Hidden Power [Fire]

This set is very interesting for me. Whenever I use this particular shaymin i always sunny day to get that synthesis boost (higher amount) and hp fire power increase. Depending on its health i would either synthesis or toxic. Against steel this pretty much only has hidden power fire but i found hp fire & sunny day to be really helpful as this shaymin helped me win against a steel team and was useful against the few ice teams i encountered

Special
Modest Nature
- Seed Flare
- Dazzling Gleam
- Air Slash
- Psychic

This Shaymin is a good middle-late game sweeper? (I dont know the right word) as it can dish out powerful hits while taking hits reasonably well with base 100 each defense. Its base 100 in everything makes both specs and scarf viable as 100 speed is decent. Personally i found myself using specs frequently. This shaymin is particularly skilled in its variety as it covers MOST types but has trouble with steel and fire.

Weaknesses:
  2. These sets do not really cover Shaymins Weaknesses so it might not be the best for weaknesses covering

SOME CALCS

Defensive
252 SpA Heatran Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Shaymin: 284-336 (83 - 98.2%) --guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Chandelure Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Shaymin: 123-145 (35.9 - 42.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
44 SpA Life Orb Infernape Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Shaymin: 96-114 (28 - 33.3%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Low Kick (20 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0- Def Shaymin: 30-36 (8.7 - 10.5%) -- possibly the worst move ever
252+ SpA Choice Specs Empoleon Hidden Power Fire vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Shaymin: 154-182 (45 - 53.2%) -- 31.3% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Empoleon Flash Cannon vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Shaymin: 153-180 (44.7 - 52.6%) -- 21.9% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Suicune Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Shaymin: 122-144 (35.6 - 42.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Offensive
252+ SpA Choice Specs Shaymin Air Slash vs. 96 HP / 0 SpD Volcarona: 216-256 (64.4 - 76.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Shaymin Seed Flare vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Chandelure: 147-173 (56.3 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Shaymin Seed Flare vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mamoswine: 906-1068 (252.3 - 297.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Shaymin Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Crobat: 322-380 (103.5 - 122.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Shaymin Air Slash vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Infernape: 330-390 (112.6 - 133.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Shaymin Seed Flare vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Weavile: 307-363 (109.2 - 129.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Shaymin Seed Flare vs. -1 0 HP / 0- SpD Cloyster: 1688-1988 (700.4 - 824.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Shaymin Seed Flare vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Empoleon: 267-315 (71.9 - 84.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Shaymin Seed Flare vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 138-163 (21.4 - 25.3%) -- 99.7% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock
Forgot to mention this on PS, but on the Sun set, I would replace the item in favour of Heat Rock, as it is a supporter and Chlorophyll sweepers enjoy the extra turns of sun. Seed Flare should also be slashed as the SpD drops either ease wallbreaking or force switches, stripping the opponent of momentum or allowing a free turn for a sweeper to set up (e.g. SD Leafeon, Growth Victreebel, DD Tropius). Earth Power also needs to be at the very least slashed on the Choice set so steels don't wall you to hell and back.
Also, uh, some of your calcs aren't really relevant, I mean who dafuq uses Low Kick on Shaymin lmao and Chandelure will spam its fire moves vs. Grass and the calc vs. Cloyster is irrelevant as you get killed by Icicle Spear if it has already used Shell Smash.

Special
Modest Nature
- Seed Flare
- Dazzling Gleam
- Air Slash
- Psychic

Shaymin gets Earth Power, so I suggest replacing that with Air Slash or Dazzling Gleam. Maybe also get HP Fire for... stuff like Ferrothorn... I dunno... nobody likes Ferrothorn.

Just so you know, you still have Megagross listed as S-rank on Psychic.

Also, what do you think about a Type Viability Ranking?
Although I like the idea it would fluctuate a lot since meta trends also change more than in other tiers (check the last three months usage stats). But just the idea of proposing it screams what we've been saying all along: we need a subforum of our own

sorry for not reserving beforehand

Tyranitar (Dark) for B Rank (possibly A Rank)

T-Rex (Tyranitar) (M) @ Leftovers / Chople Berry (LOL)
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD or 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature or Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch / Stone Edge
- Ice Beam / Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Explanation: Dark types tend to not have many choices for setting up Stealth Rock. Tyranitar is one of the few Dark types gifted with the move, along with Krookodile (and Mega Tyranitar). However, Tyranitar does have ways to set itself apart from the competition. He has a very wide movepool with moves like Fire Blast, Ice Beam, and Thunderbolt, allowing him to cover threats that would otherwise wall him such as Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and Landorus. While lacking Intimidate, Tyranitar is naturally bulkier than Krookodile and unlike its Mega Form, it can hold items such as Leftovers or a Chople Berry (for guaranteeing you can set up Stealth Rock on Psychics with Fighting coverage) and does not take up your Mega Slot (allowing you to use Mega Sableye). Sand Stream also helps out against the oh so prominent focus sash abusers such as Breloom (don't stay in on Breloom like an idiot) and increases his Special Defense by 1.5x. While Tyranitar adds on to a Dark Team's weakness to Fighting and Fairy, he also provides a crucial resistance to Fire (considering Bisharp and Mega Sableye struggle against those teams while Crawdaunt is too frail to switch in and gets hindered by the possible Drought from Mega Charizard Y). That being said however, Tyranitar is not flawless since it's very easy to wear down and is nearly useless against Fighting as well as a couple other flaws. Overall, he is a very reliable Stealth Rock setter that can support a team which is why I believe he should be B Rank (possibly A Rank).

Last edited:

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Tyranitar (Dark) for C Rank (possibly B)

T-Rex (Tyranitar) (M) @ Chople Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast

Explanation: Dark types tend to not have many choices for setting up Stealth Rock. Tyranitar is one of the few Dark types gifted with the move, along with Krookodile (and Mega Tyranitar). However, Tyranitar does have ways to set itself apart from the competition. He has a very wide movepool with moves like Fire Blast, Ice Beam, and Thunderbolt, allowing him to cover threats that would otherwise wall him such as Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and Landorus. While lacking Intimidate, Tyranitar is naturally bulkier than Krookodile and unlike its Mega Form, it can hold items such as Leftovers or a Chople Berry (for guaranteeing you can set up Stealth Rock on Psychics with Fighting coverage) and does not take up your Mega Slot (allowing you to use Mega Sableye). Sand Stream also helps out against the oh so prominent focus sash abusers such as Breloom (don't stay in on Breloom like an idiot) and increases his Special Defense by 1.5x. While Tyranitar adds on to a Dark Team's weakness to Fighting and Fairy, he also provides a crucial resistance to Fire (considering Bisharp and Mega Sableye struggle against those teams while Crawdaunt is too frail to switch in and gets hindered by the possible Drought from Mega Charizard Y). It's not A Rank worthy since it's very easy to wear down and is nearly useless against Fighting as well as a couple other flaws. Overall, he is a very reliable Stealth Rock setter that can support a team which is why I believe he should C Rank (possibly B).
I disagree. Yes it is disastrously weak to Fighting, but so is Bisharp and it is A Rank. It has a variety of great sets including Assault Vest, Scarf, Band, LO, and bulky Lefties, while being able to set Rocks and nuke you from either side of the physical/special spectrum or even go mixed. It is an excellent mon to consider slapping on your team when building to handle a threat to your team. Due to its unpredictability and being able to pull of a bunch of amazing sets, it has a solid niche in at least A Rank.

I disagree. Yes it is disastrously weak to Fighting, but so is Bisharp and it is A Rank. It has a variety of great sets including Assault Vest, Scarf, Band, LO, and bulky Lefties, while being able to set Rocks and nuke you from either side of the physical/special spectrum or even go mixed. It is an excellent mon to consider slapping on your team when building to handle a threat to your team. Due to its unpredictability and being able to pull of a bunch of amazing sets, it has a solid niche in at least A Rank.
Oh yeah, I forgot about AV, but the main reason to use it is for setting up SR. And there is like..... 2 Dark Types with SR :P. While I do think Tyranitar should go up from unranked, I only think it should go as high as B, although I do understand what you are saying.

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Oh yeah, I forgot about AV, but the main reason to use it is for setting up SR. And there is like..... 2 Dark Types with SR :P. While I do think Tyranitar should go up from unranked, I only think it should go as high as B, although I do understand what you are saying.
i disagree with this Tyanitar on dark should be placed at A rank because
1. it provides stealth rocks for dark
2. is one of only dark pokemon that can take special hits outside of umberon
3. it is one of most unpredictable pokes in the Meta you never know if its banded lefties av choice scarf also it can go mixed.
4. Tyrantiar also breaks sashes and works very well with mandbiuzz.
Also i would say tyrantiar is not useless vs fighting matchup because it breaks sashes from breelom and other fighting pokemon.
5. it is go to stealth rocker on a mega sabelye dark team.
Explanation
Tyrantiar is a great stealth rocker on dark the best stealth rocker for mega sabelye dark. You are just looking at it being 4 times weak to fighting and assuming its terrible on dark because of that. I am in favor of it going A Rank because of its ability to set up stealth rocks and take special hits decently. Overall i think A suits it right because it is almost always useful in 17/18 matchups. Also to note it is still useful on fighting to break sashes.
PS: Sorry about this being a bit short do not have much time
Tyrantiar B--->A

i disagree with this Tyanitar on dark should be placed at A rank because
1. it provides stealth rocks for dark
2. is one of only dark pokemon that can take special hits outside of umberon
3. it is one of most unpredictable pokes in the Meta you never know if its banded lefties av choice scarf also it can go mixed.
4. Tyrantiar also breaks sashes and works very well with mandbiuzz.
Also i would say tyrantiar is not useless vs fighting matchup because it breaks sashes from breelom and other fighting pokemon.
5. it is go to stealth rocker on a mega sabelye dark team.
Explanation
Tyrantiar is a great stealth rocker on dark the best stealth rocker for mega sabelye dark. You are just looking at it being 4 times weak to fighting and assuming its terrible on dark because of that. I am in favor of it going A Rank because of its ability to set up stealth rocks and take special hits decently. Overall i think A suits it right because it is almost always useful in 17/18 matchups. Also to note it is still useful on fighting to break sashes.
PS: Sorry about this being a bit short do not have much time
Tyrantiar B--->A
That's why I put possibly A Rank :P

It's about time we have another rank change now that stuff got banned. (Thanks to AM Vid for some of these) Sorry that it took so long :x

Stunfisk (Electric) D Rank -> C Rank

See All Fall Down's post

Gliscor (Ground) B -> A
One thing Ground normally has trouble with is status and Toxic Orb Gliscor solves that while whittling down walls for Ground's sweepers

Snorlax (Normal) A -> B

After testing it, I've found Snorlax quite situational. Depending on its moveset it gets walled by certain things or it's setup bait when asleep. Normal's core is also more than enough to deal with Fire / Ice types.

Jellicent (Ghost) C -> B A

Offers a nice Special wall that's immune to Scald and resistant to Lava Plume making it a nice partner to Mega Sableye who hates being burned.

Froslass (Ice) C -> B

One of Ice's few Fighting immunities / neutrals. Froslass has the added benefit of Spike stacking and bringing down one something threatening with Destiny Bond. Has access to a fast Taunt as well.

Scizor (Bug) S -> A
It's still an amazing mon, but I feel like it isn't that relevant anymore. Bug generally has no trouble against Fairy nor Rock and Scizor's still dead weight against certain types and Genesect outclasses it in various ways. (Genesect arguably has a better typed priority as well)

Conkeldurr (Fighting) A - > B

Conkeldurr just doesn't offer too much anymore. Fairies make its life miserable and its slow speed doesn't really help. Conk also ruins Fighting's momentum which is kinda bad.

Gengar (Poison) A -> S

Gengar's what prevents Poison from getting steamrolled by Psychic. It has multiple movesets so it's unpredictable.

Nidoking (Poison) A -> S

Gives Poison a much better matchup against various types such as Steel and Flying.

Mega Diancie (Rock) A -> S
No explanation needed. Just look at its speed, power and STABs :) (It gets Heal Bell too!)

Mega Scizor (Steel) A -> B
It doesn't really offer Steel anything aside from ensuring that 6-0 against Fairy. You're better off giving that teamslot to something like Doublade or Empoleon.

Quagsire (Water) A -> B

Unaware's cool, but it's not that good. Still weak to status etc etc etc, it's just not worthy of A rank.

Whimsicott (Grass) A -> B

It's not worthy of A Rank but it's still useful.

Alakazm (Psychic) A -> B
Psychic doesn't have enough moveslots for Alakazm, but if you're running HO it makes a decent revenge killer. (Although it's a little weak if you're using a Sash)

Mamoswine (Ice) A -> S

Its STABs can beat a ton of Ice's weakness and there are multiple movesets you can choose from.

Salamence (Dragon) A -> B C

It doesn't deserve A Rank. Dragonite makes a better Dragon Dancer and Latias makes a better Defogger.

JK, this thing's really really bad

Azumarill (Fairy) A -> S

Makes a great wincon against many types and is a great Pokemon in general.

Klefki (Fairy) A -> S

Keeps Fairy together while providing utility in the form of Screens, T-wave, and Spikes. Has access to Foul Play so you can bop those SD Scizors :)

Cincinno (Normal) B -> D

It's not that good anymore, Normal users generally run Lopunny or Diggersby instead if they want a Normal attacker.

Toxicroak (Fighting) B -> C

Still weak to Psychic and it's hard to fit in. Not B Rank material

Hawlucha (Fighting) B -> A
No more Zapdos's walling it, no more Metagross's Bullet Punching it and no more Greninja's outspeeding it :D

Gyarados (Flying) B -> A

It got buffed when Zapdos was banned. Makes an amazing special tank or a Rest Talk Dragon Dancer. Neutrality to Ice is useful as well.

Aggron (Rock) B -> D
Tbh, unless if you're running a Trick Room team you're either running Mega Aggron or no Aggron at all. Besides, you have Tyrantrum now who is wayyy better.

Tyrantrum (Rock) Unranked -> B

A better Aggron with boosting moves :) Shame it's still weak to Ground and Fighting moves..

Yanmega (Bug) B -> C

It's interesting but it's 4x weak to rocks, and is weak to priority. Many Special walls can tank its moves and cripple it.

Aggron (Steel) B -> D
No one uses this, and is outclassed. It's super slow anyways so don't expect to kill a lot of stuff.

Manaphy (Water) B -> A

Underated and underused but really good if used right. Has access to Tail Glow for wallbreaking and Clam Mind + Hydration if you want to go a bulkier route.

Cradily (Grass) B -> A

Has access to Stealth Rock, Recover, decent Special Bulk and a neutrallity to Fire moves. Pretty nice mon in general.

Trevenant (Grass) B -> D

A lackluster Pokemon that offers nothing important aside from Will-o-Wisp.

Serperior (Grass) B -> A

Amazing Pokemon in general. Really fast, has a Nasty Plot nuke and is able to snipe stuff depending on what Hidden Power it uses.

Murkrow (Flying) C -> Unranked

Rip. Lets be honest here, no one uses this

Alololololololomola (Water) C -> A

A staple on Stall water and for good reason. Insane bulk combined with Wish and Regenerator keeps itself and its teammates healthy throughout a match.

Jellicent (Ghost) C -> B A

Makes a great partner to Mega Sableye since it can take Lava Plumes and Scalds for it while wearing down its checks and counters with Scald

Uxie (Psychic) C -> B
Really good mon for HO Psychic. Arguably outclassed by Azelf but Uxie has the bulk, and is able to set rocks multiple times.

Lapras (Ice) D -> C

Its typing and special bulk lets it take Fire moves with ease and unlike Walrein it has a ton of support moves to abuse such as Perish Song and Heal Bell. If you want to use an AV it has enough moves for you do make a decent set.

Walrein (Ice) D -> C

Thick Fat lets it tank Fire moves like Lapras but it can run an AV since it lacks support moves.

Spiritomb (Dark) D -> C

Not as good as Sableye in many ways but it's a nice Calm Minder, and it has better bulk. Inflitrator's pretty cool as well.

If you want more of an explanation just tell me. I didn't feel like giving a very detailed explanation for every single one of these ;[

Last edited:

all falls down

thanks ugly god
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Anttya said:
I agree with all of these except for:
Now that Metagross is gone, Mega Scizor is the go-to Mega and is overall an excellent Pokemon to use. There are a variety of sets, ranging from Offensive Swords Dance to Defensive Defog. The Offensive Swords Dance set in particular is still amazing for Steel, and it has the ability to sweep Water, Psychic, and even Ground quite easily, along with many other types. The only real cost of using Scizor is that it is most certainly useless in the Fire matchup, but I feel like its other positives outweigh this negative. It is also noteworthy to mention that a lot of types struggle with taking down defensive Mega Scizor as well.

Some Replays: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-224872750 vs Ground
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-225610187 vs Ground

I had a lot of replays sweeping Water teams but I recently cleared my replays so I cant find them :[
Keep A
Jellicent (Ghost) C -> B
This thing is a staple on Ghost teams now, and is needed to take on huge threats like Keldeo, Volcarona, and a lot of special attackers I can't really think of at this moment, along with many Fire types like Darmanitan, Victini, etc. Forms a potent core with Mega Sableye and Aegislash, has a great movepool in Will-o-wisp, Taunt, and even Acid Armor. It's truly deserving of A rank
A Rank
Aggron (Steel) B -> D
If this is regular Aggron, why is this even listed? It's completely useless and I can't think of any reason to put it on a competitive Steel team.
Unranked
Uxie (Psychic) C -> B
Uxie is pretty cool, but I think there's too much competition for the role that Uxie performs. Azelf is better for more offensive variants of Psychic, Deoxys-D is unarguably bulkier, has spikes, reliable recovery, taunt, and can be unpredictable. Then there's Deoxys-S as another speedy stealth rock setter that also doubles as something to beat Scarf Heracross, has spikes, and can even set up screens. There's also Celebi, able to set up rocks or baton pass setup moves and also has a fantastic typing allowing you to form a FWG Core. Has other great moves like Perish Song and Healing Wish as well. You then of course have Mew, which has the amazing Stallbreak set along with the utility of defog. Uxie really holds no niche over any of these, and has a hard time finding its way on a team.
Keep C

also: you said salamence twice

Last edited:

DoW

formally Death on Wings
If this is regular Aggron, why is this even listed? It's completely useless and I can't think of any reason to put it on a competitive Steel team.
Unranked
Recently Briyella made a steel team using quite a strong Rock Polish LO Aggron set which worked quite well. Can't say it's an amazing mon overall but that's certainly a niche, I'd say D rank fits it just fine.

It's about time we have another rank change now that stuff got banned. (Thanks to AM Vid for some of these) Sorry that it took so long :x

Stunfisk (Electric) D Rank -> C Rank

See All Fall Down's post

Salamence (Dragon) A Rank -> B Rank

Although Moxie's fine and all, Salamence offer's nothing important to Dragon monos. Dragonite has Extreme Speed while Mega Altaria's just better in general.

Gliscor (Ground) B -> A
One thing Ground normally has trouble with is status and Toxic Orb Gliscor solves that while whittling down walls for Ground's sweepers

Snorlax (Normal) A -> B

After testing it, I've found Snorlax quite situational. Depending on its moveset it gets walled by certain things or it's setup bait when asleep. Normal's core is also more than enough to deal with Fire / Ice types.

Jellicent (Ghost) C -> B

Offers a nice Special wall that's immune to Scald and resistant to Lava Plume making it a nice partner to Mega Sableye who hates being burned.

Froslass (Ice) C -> B

One of Ice's few Fighting immunities / neutrals. Froslass has the added benefit of Spike stacking and bringing down one something threatening with Destiny Bond. Has access to a fast Taunt as well.

Scizor (Bug) S -> A
It's still an amazing mon, but I feel like it isn't that relevant anymore. Bug generally has no trouble against Fairy nor Rock and Scizor's still dead weight against certain types and Genesect outclasses it in various ways. (Genesect arguably has a better typed priority as well)

Conkeldurr (Fighting) A - > B

Conkeldurr just doesn't offer too much anymore. Fairies make its life miserable and its slow speed doesn't really help. Conk also ruins Fighting's momentum which is kinda bad.

Gengar (Poison) A -> S

Gengar's what prevents Poison from getting steamrolled by Psychic. It has multiple movesets so it's unpredictable.

Nidoking (Poison) A -> S

Gives Poison a much better matchup against various types such as Steel and Flying.

Mega Diancie (Rock) A -> S
No explanation needed. Just look at its speed, power and STABs :) (It gets Heal Bell too!)

It doesn't really offer Steel anything aside from ensuring that 6-0 against Fairy. You're better off giving that teamslot to something like Doublade or Empoleon.

Quagsire (Water) A -> B

Unaware's cool, but it's not that good. Still weak to status etc etc etc, it's just not worthy of A rank.

Whimsicott (Grass) A -> B

It's not worthy of A Rank but it's still useful.

Alakazm (Psychic) A -> B
Psychic doesn't have enough moveslots for Alakazm, but if you're running HO it makes a decent revenge killer. (Although it's a little weak if you're using a Sash)

Mamoswine (Ice) A -> S

Its STABs can beat a ton of Ice's weakness and there are multiple movesets you can choose from.

Salamence (Dragon) A -> B

It doesn't deserve A Rank. Dragonite makes a better Dragon Dancer and Latias makes a better Defogger.

Azumarill (Fairy) A -> S

Makes a great wincon against many types and is a great Pokemon in general.

Klefki (Fairy) A -> S

Keeps Fairy together while providing utility in the form of Screens, T-wave, and Spikes. Has access to Foul Play so you can bop those SD Scizors :)

Cincinno (Normal) B -> D

It's not that good anymore, Normal users generally run Lopunny or Diggersby instead if they want a Normal attacker.

Toxicroak (Fighting) B -> C

Still weak to Psychic and it's hard to fit in. Not B Rank material

Hawlucha (Fighting) B -> A
No more Zapdos's walling it, no more Metagross's Bullet Punching it and no more Greninja's outspeeding it :D

Gyarados (Flying) B -> A

It got buffed when Zapdos was banned. Makes an amazing special tank or a Rest Talk Dragon Dancer. Neutrality to Ice is useful as well.

Aggron (Rock) B -> D
Tbh, unless if you're running a Trick Room team you're either running Mega Aggron or no Aggron at all. Besides, you have Tyrantrum now who is wayyy better.

Tyrantrum (Rock) Unranked -> B

A better Aggron with boosting moves :) Shame it's still weak to Ground and Fighting moves..

Yanmega (Bug) B -> C

It's interesting but it's 4x weak to rocks, and is weak to priority. Many Special walls can tank its moves and cripple it.

Aggron (Steel) B -> D
No one uses this, and is outclassed. It's super slow anyways so don't expect to kill a lot of stuff.

Manaphy (Water) B -> A

Underated and underused but really good if used right. Has access to Tail Glow for wallbreaking and Clam Mind + Hydration if you want to go a bulkier route.

Cradily (Grass) B -> A

Has access to Stealth Rock, Recover, decent Special Bulk and a neutrallity to Fire moves. Pretty nice mon in general.

Trevenant (Grass) B -> D

A lackluster Pokemon that offers nothing important aside from Will-o-Wisp.

Serperior (Grass) B -> A

Amazing Pokemon in general. Really fast, has a Nasty Plot nuke and is able to snipe stuff depending on what Hidden Power it uses.

Murkrow (Flying) C -> Unranked

Rip. Lets be honest here, no one uses this

Alololololololomola (Water) C -> A

A staple on Stall water and for good reason. Insane bulk combined with Wish and Regenerator keeps itself and its teammates healthy throughout a match.

Jellicent (Ghost) C -> B

Makes a great partner to Mega Sableye since it can take Lava Plumes and Scalds for it while wearing down its checks and counters with Scald

Uxie (Psychic) C -> B
Really good mon for HO Psychic. Arguably outclassed by Azelf but Uxie has the bulk, and is able to set rocks multiple times.

Lapras (Ice) D -> C

Its typing and special bulk lets it take Fire moves with ease and unlike Walrein it has a ton of support moves to abuse such as Perish Song and Heal Bell. If you want to use an AV it has enough moves for you do make a decent set.

Walrein (Ice) D -> C

Thick Fat lets it tank Fire moves like Lapras but it can run an AV since it lacks support moves.

Spiritomb (Dark) D -> C

Not as good as Sableye in many ways but it's a nice Calm Minder, and it has better bulk. Inflitrator's pretty cool as well.

If you want more of an explanation just tell me. I didn't feel like giving a very detailed explanation for every single one of these ;[

MFW Still no shaymin >:I (Unless i missed it and im just dumb, which is very possible)

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Tbh, I don't think Spiritomb needs to go up to C Rank on Dark. It is basically 100% outclassed by Mega Sableye who was more bulk, reliable recovery, and a way to cripple foes and an amazing pre-Mega ability. Yes it is immune to Fighting, but there is really no reason to use it over Mega Sableye. It does have a niche if you are running a defensive Dark team with another Mega, but MegaEye just 100% outclasses it otherwise, so it shouldn't go higher than D Rank imo.

I am nominating Luxray for rank B in electric.

I understand it's not even D at the moment, but I'm trying xD With a lack of good physical attackers in general, electric struggles, only really having electivire and eelektross... but why does everyone forget Luxray? With its ability guts, it's Electric's best way of dealing with Mega Sableye, and rather than using the usual flame/toxic orb set, I suggest a bulky band set, that allows Luxray to live almost any non banded attack that isn't STAB EQ and proceed to deal massive damage to whatever is facing it.

BlacknYellow (Luxray) @ Choice Band
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Wild Charge
- Crunch
- Quick Attack/Ice Fang/Fire Fang
- Superpower

Quick Attack believe it or not comes in handy so much, ending sweeps and also sadly being some or Electric's best priority, though there's also extremespeed on Pikachu...

252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-B Outrage vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Luxray: 292-345 (80.2 - 94.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Luxray Superpower vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Kyurem-B: 406-478 (103.8 - 122.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Tyranitar Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Luxray: 298-352 (81.8 - 96.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage
252+ Atk Choice Band Luxray Superpower vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 748-884 (185.6 - 219.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 0 SpA Volcarona Fiery Dance vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Luxray: 271-319 (74.4 - 87.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Bulkarona)
252+ Atk Choice Band Luxray Wild Charge vs. 248 HP / 136+ Def Volcarona: 246-289 (65.9 - 77.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 4 SpA Mega Sableye Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Luxray: 138-163 (37.9 - 44.7%) -- 4.7% chance to 2HKO after burn damage
252+ Atk Choice Band Guts Luxray Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 211-250 (69.4 - 82.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO <-- That's Burnt

+3 0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Luxray: 297-351 (81.5 - 96.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Luxray Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 201-237 (51 - 60.1%) -- 88.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Luxray: 298-352 (81.8 - 96.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Luxray Crunch vs. -1 0 HP / 0 Def Victini: 408-480 (119.6 - 140.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Luxray: 231-273 (63.4 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Luxray Superpower vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard X: 186-219 (62.6 - 73.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Guts Luxray Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gastrodon: 418-492 (98.1 - 115.4%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO <-- That's poisoned, assuming you switch in on toxic prediction.

252+ Atk Choice Band Luxray Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Lanturn: 316-372 (69.6 - 81.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Terrakion Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Luxray: 264-312 (72.5 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Luxray Superpower vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 444-524 (137.4 - 162.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

The reason it probably won't go higher than B is that it only tends to perform its role once in a match (usually) as it is there to pick up the important KO. There are some exceptions, against a few types such as normal and ghost it will be the main source of offense for the team, but most of the time it will perform it's role before being revenged, unless it out-speeds the target or there is an easy way to save it, or important reason to.

Luxray is a great counter to many threats of electric, with this set it can break many walls to electric e.g. Lanturn, whilst also posing a huge threat to the opposing team. Despite Electivire having a slightly better attack stat, Luxray is better at performing this role due to it's better defensive bulk.

Because of this and it's lack of usage, it is often underestimated, and people are often surprised by its bulk. It also lands a large chunk on a huge threat to electric monos in Charizard-X with superpower, and also deals with the obstacle mew can pose. It is incredibly valuable against almost all monotypes, particularly normal, being able to 2HKO Porygon2. I would have nominated him for S rank if I could but I'm not that optimistic xD I feel if used correctly he can be invaluable to electric, and recently Luxray usage has risen, and personally I would really struggle without it's reliability and ability to pick up key KOs.
Will move it to B once I get on a laptop
I want to nominate Kyurem-B from A+ -> S (ICE)

First of all, the reason explained on the OP for Kyurem-B not to be S is "lack of physical Ice STAB". I don't recall anywhere in the definitions of ranks lacking a move hindering your ranking. Sadly, this thing has more resistances than 90% of the Ice pool being resistant to Electric, Grass, Water while neutral to Fire and Ice. His most common sets are revenge killer (mixed scarf/phys scarf) and wallbreaker (LO roost or Sub+lefties) and allow him to be the most efficient from the tier at it. Ice doesn't have any other wallbreaker like him except maybe M-Glaelie against certain types. He is also the fastest -decent- scarfer the type has (inb4 scarf Froslass/Articuno) and his SR weakness doesn't prevent him to do its job. He is not a wall, he is not a set up sweeper. He comes in 2-3 times per match and takes down at least 2 pokes if not cleaning the house in certain matchups (Ground, Flying, Poison comes to mind). He also has the most versatile movepool (ironically this doesn't include a good physical Ice move lol) with access to Fusion Bolt, Earth Power, Iron Head, Dragon Claw/Outrage, Ice Beam, Focus Blast. The only poke that has a similar good coverage is Mamoswine and he is nowhere as fast nor strong and is more easily checked by certain physical walls.

Overall, I don't see why Avalugg would be more valuable than Kyurem-B for Monoice at this point. Avalugg is as good as it gets for what's meant to do but in the end, it's not winning you matchups. It's unfair to bring in Ice weaknesses against Kyu-B because those are shared with all the other pokes (except Thick Fat Mamo I guess), the "he needs rapid spin" argument is not valid since that can be said for monoice in general and like I mentioned before, it doesn't prevent him to do its job. He really needs little support if any, at the contrary, he is providing lots of support to his team either punching holes on the opponent's defensive core or checking sweepers with a scarf set.

Finally, think that with the ban of Kyurem-W, there isn't any other Ice pokemon that is so key to Ice teams as he is. He not only can, he *should* be slapped into any Monoice team and its versatility helps the team as he can be tailored to fulfill different roles (fairy checker, dragon killer, water check -Ice Beam 2HKOs Pert while Fusion Bolt does a number to the other water pokes-, mixed breaker -with Skarm gone or severely crippled Mamo and Weavile have an easier time wrecking Ice-, wall breaker -Band Outrage will kill any poke without immunity-, etc).

If against the change, I'd like to hear the reasons from other active Ice users post-KyuW ban, not just people that haven't played Ice since XY and are just theorymoning based on technicalities.
Will move it to S later
So, er, I know there's a lot of talking about the recent bans and all.. But let's turn our attention to a little bug just for a second, even if it is the most cancerous thing ever to exist. While Volbeat doesn't provide a Bug team with much offensive support, it can however, keep up the support options by being a general pain in the side with Encore, or to speed control with +1 Thunder Waves. I was practicing my Bug Monoing on the ladder, but as of recently, I realized it had a nice support option in Tailwind. And deciding that I disliked how Sticky Web didn't affect levitating or Flying pokemon, which are a pain in the side for almost.. Every bug mega, and mono that has slightly middling speed, I opted to use Tailwind Volbeat.

Volbeat stays at D-Class lol
Volbeat (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SPDEF / 4 SPE OR 252 HP / 252 DEF / 4 SPDEF
Bold/Calm Nature
- Encore
- Thunder Wave
- Tailwind
- U-turn/Confuse Ray/Rain Dance

Now you just turned something, with slightly middling speed that's also a powerhouse into a huge threat just capable of ripping apart entire teams. Now some pokemon(many) on bug have bad speed or, at least, just isn't up to par anymore. Such as Scizor-M or Heracross-M or Genesect, or Tinted Lens Yanmega. Alternate spread: 252 HP/ 4 DEF/ 252 SPE : If you really like your speed.

Since I literally just said how, just use Tailwind/Encore or anything really go gain some momentum, and use Tailwind. If you have time to, U-turn or Confuse Ray around. Encore can deter setting up with moves like Quiver Dance or Dragon Dance, which to the HO of Bug is very dangerous. After you use Tailwind, you want to be careful so abuse your Tailwind abuser greatly during the turns you have.

Agreed #Tailwind

Sample Movesets

Support:

Shaymin @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Synthesis
- Healing Wish
- Aromatherapy
- Leech Seed

Toxic Stall I guess?

Shaymin @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Sunny Day
- Synthesis
- Toxic
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Special
Modest Nature
- Seed Flare
- Dazzling Gleam
- Air Slash
- Psychic

Weaknesses:

SOME CALCS

Defensive

Offensive
i like c better but I'll add it
Just so you know, you still have Megagross listed as S-rank on Psychic.

Also, what do you think about a Type Viability Ranking?
Derp I'll remove it once I get on a laptop. As for a type viability ranking, It doesn't really need one since it's pretty pbvious and debatable
sorry for not reserving beforehand

Tyranitar (Dark) for B Rank (possibly A Rank)

T-Rex (Tyranitar) (M) @ Leftovers / Chople Berry (LOL)
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast

Explanation: Dark types tend to not have many choices for setting up Stealth Rock. Tyranitar is one of the few Dark types gifted with the move, along with Krookodile (and Mega Tyranitar). However, Tyranitar does have ways to set itself apart from the competition. He has a very wide movepool with moves like Fire Blast, Ice Beam, and Thunderbolt, allowing him to cover threats that would otherwise wall him such as Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and Landorus. While lacking Intimidate, Tyranitar is naturally bulkier than Krookodile and unlike its Mega Form, it can hold items such as Leftovers or a Chople Berry (for guaranteeing you can set up Stealth Rock on Psychics with Fighting coverage) and does not take up your Mega Slot (allowing you to use Mega Sableye). Sand Stream also helps out against the oh so prominent focus sash abusers such as Breloom (don't stay in on Breloom like an idiot) and increases his Special Defense by 1.5x. While Tyranitar adds on to a Dark Team's weakness to Fighting and Fairy, he also provides a crucial resistance to Fire (considering Bisharp and Mega Sableye struggle against those teams while Crawdaunt is too frail to switch in and gets hindered by the possible Drought from Mega Charizard Y). That being said however, Tyranitar is not flawless since it's very easy to wear down and is nearly useless against Fighting as well as a couple other flaws. Overall, he is a very reliable Stealth Rock setter that can support a team which is why I believe he should be B Rank (possibly A Rank).
Tbh A rank is more fitting, also Id change the spread to a special wall since physical is outclassed by Mandibuzz

I'll answer the rank change post later since it's annoying to type :[

Last edited:
Rotom H for B rank (fire)

First off, Rotom has a great ability in Levitate. Levitate is a great ability to have on a Fire-type team since Ground-types are one of Fire's biggest weakness. Rotom-H, well Rotoms in general have a plethora of status, and aiding moves such as Thunder Wave, and Light Screen.

sleep? SIKE DATS DA WRONG NUMBER
Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers / Chesto Berry / Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
Calm Nature
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split / Light Screen / Rest

So, basically this is a Specially defensive Rotom-H set. The moves are quite self-explanatory. Overheat, is Rotom-H's main STAB move. Overheat does huge amounts of damage, and although it lowers Rotom-H's SpA by 0.5x, Volt Switch can easily switch Rotom-H out. Volt Switch is also a great move to pivot into another Pokemon for a better matchup. Fire monos enjoy the momentum from Volt Switch. Will-O-Wisp is to cripple physical attackers, and Pain Split is Rotom's recovery move. Make sure you understand that Pain Split isn't too reliable. However, Rotom can also run Rest + Chesto Berry, even though this is a one time pair, it can still aid Rotom-H in its HP recovery. Light Screen is also a move that Rotom-H can run. Light Screen is very useful in the early game, letting Rotom's teammates such as Volcarona set up against Special Attackers. Leftovers is for the reliable HP recovery every turn.

EDIT: adding a set thanks Anttya

Lol ima fuck yo dragons up boi

Rotom-Heat @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Ice
- Trick / Will-o-Wisp

Alright, the first two moves are very self explanatory, and they are the same reasons as the first set. Hidden Power Ice are for the Dragon-Types. Trick and Choice Scarf go well together, being able to scout moves and disrupt your foe. Will-O-Wisp is slashed on there just in case you don't want to Trick, and instead you want to cripple physical attackers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)