Project "Lure that Threat!" ORAS OU Version (Week 8 Standard Mega Latias)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This would be for the teams which are weak to Stone Edge Hippowdon but not Whirlwind Hippowdon, then?

Look, this thread is going to be much more useful as a teambuilding resource if we take the Hippowdon to potentially have any of its common 4th moves (Toxic, Ice Fang, Rock coverage, Whirlwind). E.g. Magnet Rise Bisharp, though pretty dubious anyway (no Knock Off!), loses some effectiveness as a Hippo "lure" because it may carry Whirlwind, making the strategy useless.

DennisEG

Civil Engineer
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Everybody thinks that Hippo is a switch for most of physical type attacker but u can easily lure this fat mon with an unexpected mon in OU which is

Staraptor @ Choice Band
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
- U-turn
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat

Every hippo player thought, ''Hipo can take this easily'' Rotom-W isnt an option cuz fear the Double Edge, so let see the calcs
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Hippowdon: 232-274 (55.2 - 65.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
The only issue is the recoil but, u can easily lure this fat mon for other of ur threats, btw Double Edge is the same power.

Everybody thinks that Hippo is a switch for most of physical type attacker but u can easily lure this fat mon with an unexpected mon in OU which is

Staraptor @ Choice Band
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
- U-turn
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat

Every hippo player thought, ''Hipo can take this easily'' Rotom-W isnt an option cuz fear the Double Edge, so let see the calcs
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Hippowdon: 232-274 (55.2 - 65.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
The only issue is the recoil but, u can easily lure this fat mon for other of ur threats, btw Double Edge is the same power.
To be fair, Banded Staraptor is a standard set so most players will know that Hippo can't take Banded Raptor's attacks.

Im not agree with that because, Staraptor isnt common at all at least in High Ladder / Tour Games, so they dont know the raw power of this bird, and scarf is more ''common'' than CB imo
uhhh i think random passerby is right starapter isnt a lure it is a wallbreaker. a lure is something that like is normally countered by a pokemon but has some kind of uncommon special move or item or something. it is a given that staraptor is going to use brave bird or double edge. staraptor is just powerful so its more of a wallbreaker than a lure because it doesnt have some surprise move. also why is common in quotes common doesnt need quotes common is a straightforward word it only means one thing... it isnt like u can argue if something is common its a fact. putting common in quotes doesnt help ur point "imo"

DennisEG

Civil Engineer
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
uhhh i think random passerby is right starapter isnt a lure it is a wallbreaker. a lure is something that like is normally countered by a pokemon but has some kind of uncommon special move or item or something. it is a given that staraptor is going to use brave bird or double edge. staraptor is just powerful so its more of a wallbreaker than a lure because it doesnt have some surprise move. also why is common in quotes common doesnt need quotes common is a straightforward word it only means one thing... it isnt like u can argue if something is common its a fact. putting common in quotes doesnt help ur point "imo"
I mean the fuction of a lure is basically break / weaken one mon for another threat in your team, Staraptor yes it is a wallbreaker but also can be a lure. I think a mon can easily acomplish at least 2 fuction in 1 team !

I mean the fuction of a lure is basically break / weaken one mon for another threat in your team, Staraptor yes it is a wallbreaker but also can be a lure. I think a mon can easily acomplish at least 2 fuction in 1 team !
But it's not a lure. Band is a common set and you can easily calc the damage to see the Hippo is not a switchin. A lure has some kind of different coverage like, for example, Psycho Cut Bisharp to bait Keldeo or something like that.

Miridy

♩_♩
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
First week is over!
I'm glad to announce that the thread received more sets than what I initially thought, which is very good.

There is one thing I would like to add, though a lure has to act in a way that your opponent won't (normally) predict in order to get the desired result, since we have a defensive threat this week this can be achieved through an unorthodox move choice like Grass Knot Thundurus, or by an unexpected power, like Mega Garchomp (being by itself a very rare mega evolution who also happens to abuse Sand Stream), debilitating is also okay, if it comes from something unexpected that does not lose too much utility in order to act as a lure, an example would be Toxic Landorus-Therian, trapping moves are allso good, since your opponent can't do anything about it once they're in, just please don't post Gothitelle on all your posts, from the posted sets I cannot accept Wow Talonflame, Grass Knot Mega Metagross, Magnet Rise Bisharp, Magnet Rise Cobalion Magnet Rise+Toxic Klefki, and Choice Band Staraptor, I'll get down individually to them and explain why:

Wow Talon: While it's true, Hippo should normally stay in against Talon if it has Stone Edge in order to kill it, in the 1825 stats wow is used almost half the time on Talonflame, so this is by no means a surprise for the opponent, and they can (and should, tbh) scout the moveset, since there is a 50% chance (a much higher chance if they see Leftovers as an item) Hippo will end up burned and near-useless for the rest of the match if there is no Heal Bell/Healing Wish user.

Grass Knot Metagross: GK 'Gross usage has declined a little since the beginning of ORAS, but it's still a common move, and majority of battlers will prepare already for the eventuality that Mega Metagross has Grass Knot in order to face Hippowdon and Slowbro, not quite a lure.

Magnet Rise Bisharp: well... yes I suppose, with Taunt and Magnet Rise you win the 1v1 against Hippowdon (though you cannot come in against Hippo, or you'll risk an Earthquake in your face) but you end up with a very, very weak Bisharp with no form of priority, I mean Sucker Punch isn't the best of priority around here, but it's still something that puts pressure on your opponent, you sacrifice too much in order to completely counter and not kill (since when they'll see how they can't do anything against Bisharp they'll just switch out, why stay?) Hippowdon.

The same argument minus the Sucker Punch part is applied also to Magnet Rise+Taunt Cobalion, sorry, you won't be bringing a lure, but something that happens to completely shut down Hippowdon without killing it, forcing the switch.

Magnet Rise Swords Dance Bisharp is a bit better but Magnet Rise Bisharp was already posted, and this Bisharp does not act as a lure but simply put transform a check to set up fodder giving up on the useful Knock Off, as a Whirlwind-less Hippowdon will switch out when they'll see Magnet Rise.

Magnet Rise + Toxic Klefki: technically yes, Toxic is a big no-no on Hippowdon even though he doesn't die from it, the problem though is that more than half of Klefki's have Magnet Rise on their moveset, so Hippowdon has no business against Klefki, other than setting up Stealth Rocks, but at this point they are so many better pokemon that can use Toxic on Hippo as he lay Stealth Rocks, majority of teammates from Hippowdon, such as Magic Guard Clefable, Natural Cure Starmie and ferrothorn also do not mind at all Toxic, but this is a team option discussion, so I'll stop here.

Cb Staraptor: yes, Staraptor is a very powerful wallbreaker but it does not act as a lure, Choice Band is more common than Choice Scarf (though by a small margin) and while it's true that this is not a common sight an experienced player should be able to analyze the pokemon and understand what it potentially runs, if he/she cannot do so they can simply open the damage calculator from Showdown, and conveniently see Choice Band as the first set for Staraptor and then proceed to check the damages, so it wouldn't be a lure.

With this out of the way, thanks everyone who contributed! Lots of interesting submissions, as soon as I recover my old computer I'll update the Hall of Fame, but of course, it's not like I can freeze the project, so, here's Week 2 more difficult with an interesting fairy type, you guessed it:

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind

Unaware Clefable ignores stat boosts (well, if you don't have a Mega Ampharos who happens to gain a Nasty Plot boost from Mew or Mega Gyarados) and thanks to its wonderful type it can act as a glue for balanced teams, while being very easy to splash on a team.
Keep in mind Protect, usually clicked for scouting moves or gaining a Leftovers/Wish recovery, there is no point for someone to click Protect if they feel completely safe or already know (or think they know) what happens on a specific scenario.
For example, if you happen to have Iron Tail Mega Gyarados (idk why you would but let's go with it) at +0 and the opponent have Unaware Clefable at max hp Clefable would rather use Wish or attack you with Moonblast as you Dragon Dance and use Iron Tail later, than to use Protect.

Last edited:
First week is over!
I'm glad to announce that the thread received more sets than what I initially thought, which is very good.

There is one thing I would like to add, though a lure has to act in a way that your opponent won't (normally) predict in order to get the desired result, since we have a defensive threat this week this can be achieved through an unorthodox move choice like Grass Knot Thundurus, or by an unexpected power, like Mega Garchomp (being by itself a very rare mega evolution who also happens to abuse Sand Stream), debilitating is also okay, if it comes from something unexpected that does not lose too much utility in order to act as a lure, an example would be Toxic Landorus-Therian, trapping moves are allso good, since your opponent can't do anything about it once they're in, just please don't post Gothitelle on all your posts, from the posted sets I cannot accept Wow Talonflame, Grass Knot Mega Metagross, Magnet Rise Bisharp, Magnet Rise Cobalion Magnet Rise+Toxic Klefki, and Choice Band Staraptor, I'll get down individually to them and explain why:

Wow Talon: While it's true, Hippo should normally stay in against Talon if it has Stone Edge in order to kill it, in the 1825 stats wow is used almost half the time on Talonflame, so this is by no means a surprise for the opponent, and they can (and should, tbh) scout the moveset, since there is a 50% chance (a much higher chance if they see Leftovers as an item) Hippo will end up burned and near-useless for the rest of the match if there is no Heal Bell/Healing Wish user.

Grass Knot Metagross: GK 'Gross usage has declined a little since the beginning of ORAS, but it's still a common move, and majority of battlers will prepare already for the eventuality that Mega Metagross has Grass Knot in order to face Hippowdon and Slowbro, not quite a lure.

Magnet Rise Bisharp: well... yes I suppose, with Taunt and Magnet Rise you win the 1v1 against Hippowdon (though you cannot come in against Hippo, or you'll risk an Earthquake in your face) but you end up with a very, very weak Bisharp with no form of priority, I mean Sucker Punch isn't the best of priority around here, but it's still something that puts pressure on your opponent, you sacrifice too much in order to completely counter and not kill (since when they'll see how they can't do anything against Bisharp they'll just switch out, why stay?) Hippowdon.

The same argument minus the Sucker Punch part is applied also to Magnet Rise+Taunt Cobalion, sorry, you won't be bringing a lure, but something that happens to completely shut down Hippowdon without killing it, forcing the switch.

Magnet Rise Swords Dance Bisharp is a bit better but Magnet Rise Bisharp was already posted, and this Bisharp does not act as a lure but simply put transform a check to set up fodder giving up on the useful Knock Off, as a Whirlwind-less Hippowdon will switch out when they'll see Magnet Rise.

Magnet Rise + Toxic Klefki: technically yes, Toxic is a big no-no on Hippowdon even though he doesn't die from it, the problem though is that more than half of Klefki's have Magnet Rise on their moveset, so Hippowdon has no business against Klefki, other than setting up Stealth Rocks, but at this point they are so many better pokemon that can use Toxic on Hippo as he lay Stealth Rocks, majority of teammates from Hippowdon, such as Magic Guard Clefable, Natural Cure Starmie and ferrothorn also do not mind at all Toxic, but this is a team option discussion, so I'll stop here.

Cb Staraptor: yes, Staraptor is a very powerful wallbreaker but it does not act as a lure, Choice Band is more common than Choice Scarf (though by a small margin) and while it's true that this is not a common sight an experienced player should be able to analyze the pokemon and understand what it potentially runs, if he/she cannot do so they can simply open the damage calculator from Showdown, and conveniently see Choice Band as the first set for Staraptor and then proceed to check the damages, so it wouldn't be a lure.

With this out of the way, thanks everyone who contributed! Lots of interesting submissions, as soon as I recover my old computer I'll update the Hall of Fame, but of course, it's not like I can freeze the project, so, here's Week 2 more difficult with an interesting fairy type, you guessed it:

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind

Unaware Clefable ignores stat boosts (well, if you don't have a Mega Ampharos who happens to gain a Nasty Plot boost from Mew or Mega Gyarados) and thanks to its wonderful type it can act as a glue for balanced teams, while being very easy to splash on a team.
Keep in mind Protect, usually clicked for scouting moves or gaining a Leftovers/Wish recovery, there is no point for someone to click Protect if they feel completely safe or already know (or think they know) what happens on a specific scenario.
For example, if you happen to have Iron Tail Mega Gyarados (idk why you would but let's go with it) at +0 and the opponent have Unaware Clefable at max hp Clefable would rather use Wish or attack you with Moonblast as you Dragon Dance and use Iron Tail later, than to use Protect.
You missed my regular Garchomp :-(

Anyway, reserving Thundurus-I . Unaware Clef isn't able to switch into Thundurus-I. Doing Conkeldurr instead.

Conkeldurr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch / Superpower
- Ice Punch
- Poison Jab

With the LO and Sheer Force boost, Conkeldurr can wallbreak very well with it's coverage moves. Poison Jab is chosen to break past pesky Fairy-types such as Clefable, Azumarill and Mega Altaria, who can all wall the AV Guts set with ease. Ice Punch takes care of the ever-present Garchomp and Landorus while the other moves are STAB. 208 Spe is used to Speed Creep 164 Spe Azumarill.

252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Conkeldurr Poison Jab vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 302-356 (76.8 - 90.5%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Conkeldurr Ice Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 142-168 (36.1 - 42.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Last edited:

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Tail
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Outrage

Dragonite, with a choice band, can be an awesome wallbreaker and a revenge killer with extreme speed. The evs spread is classic from DPP, max attack and adamant nature for 2kho all the metagame. The only difference is Iron Tail over Fire Punch, for luring not only clefable, but even Mega Altaria.

252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 322-380 (81.7 - 96.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 322-380 (81.7 - 96.4%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Instead of

252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 161-190 (40.8 - 48.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 129-152 (32.7 - 38.5%) -- 4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

If using a pokemon with a choice item as a lure is bad, u can simply use Iron Tail on a Dragon Dance set, kill your counter on the switch, and after that, dance on almost everything thanks to multiscale.

252+ Atk Dragonite Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 214-254 (54.3 - 64.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
Miridy so for future reference your analysis will be based of 1825 stats? Just asking because in regular ou stats magnet rise klefki is only used 15% of the time.
Also most hippo do not expect toxic coming as its only on ~14% of klefki ie most hippo don't see it coming.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Toxic

Now, technically this isn't a complete lure since it still loses 1v1. However, Clefable is the primary switch into Sableye, and since it's Unaware and lacks Heal Bell, being poisoned will basically prevent it from doing much of anything for the rest of the battle, especially given that it only has Moonblast as coverage and needs to stay in to be offensively threatening, therefore increasing the Poison damage. So even though this won't directly KO Clefable, it will make it irrelevant in the battle unless paired up with Heal Bell support.

Last edited:

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Draco Meteor
- Superpower
- Dark Pulse

Okay, so Flash Cannon is standard on OU Hydra, but it still makes a great Fairy lure. Unaware Fable in particular is only used in bulky archetypes, which are put under an immense amount of pressure from Hydreigon. Often, even when the opponent knows you have Flash Cannon, they'll be forced to use their Fairy to pivot around your STAB's, meaning a good prediction can take them out. The relevant calc:

252+ SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Clefable: 265-315 (67.2 - 79.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

The really great thing here is that if Clefable switches into Draco Meteor, you won't take the SAtk drop, meaning you don't need to have any reservations about firing off your strongest attack.

Just some notes about this round: remember that Clefable carries Protect, so the narrow 2HKO's you can get by sticking Poison Jab on various Fighting types, or LO Garchomp, are pretty unreliable. Also, Choiced options are even worse lures than usual.

Last edited:

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 224 Atk / 32 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Crunch
- Poison Jab
- Protect

Standard Mega Sharpedo set, except with Poison Jab over Ice Fang, which allows Mega Sharpedo to beat a variety of Fairy-types such as Mega Altaria, Azumarill, Whimisicott, and above all, Clefable. It's a good lure because most Mega Sharpedo's carry Ice Fang, and Poison Jab is more or less less common than Ice Fang. Clefable loses as it is 2HKOed by Poison Jab factoring in Stealth Rock, and also 2HKOed by switching into Hydro Pump and then getting hit by Poison Jab.

Calcs:
224+ Atk Mega Sharpedo Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 176-208 (44.6 - 52.7%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
32 SpA Mega Sharpedo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Clefable: 144-171 (36.5 - 43.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Last edited:

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Poison Jab

Standard Weavile set, but with Poison Jab in its last moveslot. Despite being slashed in the main set, Poison Jab isn't commonly run on Weavile and can be used to effectively lure Fairy-types in general. In this case, Unaware Clefable would normally be a complete counter to Weavile (even to SD variants due to Unaware), but since this Weavile runs Poison Jab, it's now able to lure in Clefable and 2HKO it after SR.
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 86-101 (21.8 - 25.6%) -- possible 5HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 149-177 (37.8 - 44.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 190-224 (48.2 - 56.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Thundurus Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Timid Mature
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast / Thunderwave / Knock Off / Whatever

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Clefable: 286-338 (72.5 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Lure Thundurus is a pretty cool balance breaker. It has strong coverage moves to hit a lot of common glue mons like hippo, Ferro, heatran. With sludge wave, Thundurus can kill fairy types like Diance and Clef with ease. Sludge Wave also hits bulky grass types like Tangrowth and Venusaur harder than HP Ice so it's not that niche.

Also I think that Unaware Clef is a bad example. It is a lot easier to wear down and pressure since it takes hazard damage and needs wish+protect to heal itself, making it easier to play around. Also protect makes pulling off a lure a little hard since you need to get it off on a switch bc they can just scout moves/get leftovers. Idk just my 2 cents

Thundurus Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Timid Mature
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast / Thunderwave / Knock Off / Whatever

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Clefable: 286-338 (72.5 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Unaware Clef without SpD investment won't take Thundurus on since it is 2HKOed by Thunderbolt, even after factoring Wish, Protect and Stealth Rock.

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Clefable: 203-239 (51.5 - 60.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Unaware Clef without SpD investment won't take Thundurus on since it is 2HKOed by Thunderbolt, even after factoring Wish, Protect and Stealth Rock.

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Clefable: 203-239 (51.5 - 60.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Ight

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpA / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch / Earthquake
- Iron Head

Yea standard DD mega gyara spread. This has Iron Head though which helps it get through Clefable, Altaria and other bulky Fairy types.
On my phone right now and don't wanna show calc. From experience Iron Head does like 70-80%

Ight

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpA / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch / Earthquake
- Iron Head

Yea standard DD mega gyara spread. This has Iron Head though which helps it get through Clefable, Altaria and other bulky Fairy types.
On my phone right now and don't wanna show calc. From experience Iron Head does like 70-80%
252 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 176-208 (44.6 - 52.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

U can 2kho the mixed set:

252 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Clefable: 212-250 (53.8 - 63.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Iron Tail can 2kho clefable:

252 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 218-258 (55.3 - 65.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 176-208 (44.6 - 52.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

U can 2kho the mixed set:

252 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Clefable: 212-250 (53.8 - 63.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Iron Tail can 2kho clefable:

252 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 218-258 (55.3 - 65.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Ur supposed to be at +1 already.

Gimmick

Electric potential
Ur supposed to be at +1 already.
In that case, I don't think it's 100% worth it to use Iron Head just to hit a lesser-used Clefable set since it's already 2HKOd by Waterfall after SR 100% of the time and over 70% of the time without SR. There are some 50/50s with Protect vs Dragon Dance, of course.

+1 252 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 196-232 (49.7 - 58.8%) -- 74.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 196-232 (49.7 - 58.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Gyarados has much better use in its other options like Sub, Crunch, Ice Fang, and Earthquake, which hit a wider range of Pokemon like Rotom-W, Ferrothorn, Dragonite, etc while Sub allows it to set up on bulky Waters that try to stay in and burn with Scald.

In that case, I don't think it's 100% worth it to use Iron Head just to hit a lesser-used Clefable set since it's already 2HKOd by Waterfall after SR 100% of the time and over 70% of the time without SR. There are some 50/50s with Protect vs Dragon Dance, of course.

+1 252 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 196-232 (49.7 - 58.8%) -- 74.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 196-232 (49.7 - 58.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Gyarados has much better use in its other options like Sub, Crunch, Ice Fang, and Earthquake, which hit a wider range of Pokemon like Rotom-W, Ferrothorn, Dragonite, etc while Sub allows it to set up on bulky Waters that try to stay in and burn with Scald.
To be fair, Mega Gyarados can use Iron Head to get OHKO offensive Mega Altaria and deal 70%+ to the DDD set, both of whom it is countered by.

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
To be fair, Mega Gyarados can use Iron Head to get OHKO offensive Mega Altaria and deal 70%+ to the DDD set, both of whom it is countered by.
You can literally just use Ice Fang lol, deals pretty much the same amount of damage to Mega Altaria and also hits Chesnaught, Breloom, and Garchomp. I don't see a use of Iron Head to be honest lol - I mean, it does OHKO Mega Altaria at +1, but Ice Fang does the same thing after 2 layers of SR anyway, and since when is Mega Altaria at full health?!

edit: rip

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)