Monotype Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I agree that Lucario's rank should be a little higher, there are a few mistakes you've made.

Lucario's bulk is nowhere near passable. 70/70/70 bulk gets OHKO'd by an unboosted Return from Mega Pinsir. Being neutral to all three of Fighting's weaknesses doesn't mean anything if you can't take any hits. Lucario's lack of bulk also makes it hard for it to find times to be able to set up a Swords Dance or Nasty Plot. Lucario's Speed is also pretty sub-par. 90 Speed means it'll get outsped by a lot of things that could easily OHKO it like Mega Charizard, Scarf or Sand Rush boosted Excadrill, Mega Lopunny, Victini, Mega Diancie, and Scarf Mamoswine.

Priority is most definitely not something Fighting lacks. Breloom, Mega Gallade, Mega Medicham, and Conkeldurr all carry priority. Although it's not +2 priority, it's still priority. +1 priority is still very useful.

I'd say the Abilities are pretty mediocre. It gives Togekiss problems with flinching you to death, but Togekiss can still paralyze you and Flamethrower you to death.

Which two type weaknesses are you talking about? It's kind of tough to sweep Psychic without getting destroyed by Victini and Gardevoir. Good luck trying to beat Flying with Skarmory and Togekiss in the way. Again, have fun trying to beat Fairy when you've got Klefki, Gardevoir, and Mega Diancie blocking you. Ghost has Sableye which can Will-O-Wisp you to cripple your physical set and Aegislash which could take a Dank Pulse, activate Weakness Policy and OHKO with Sacred Sword. You say that you could sweep Fairy and Psychic, but only if you get to +4 which is kind of hard to do with Lucario's lack of bulk, as well as how hard it is to find a time to set up two Nasty Plots or Swords Dances when facing Fairy and Psychic.

As a few side notes, Ghost doesn't use Doublade too much because it's got Aegislash, and Lucario's Abilities aren't very good because no one would waste their time trying to flinch a Lucario.

Also, so you wouldn't say, "but you don't use Fighting, so how would you know how good Lucario is?", I have used Fighting before on ladder, although I didn't actually use Lucario that much(I switched it out because of its lack of Speed). You really shouldn't tell people to not post their opinions. It's not a very nice thing to do. As long as the opinion is backed up by facts, it's a solid statement.

So in conclusion, I have no problem moving Lucario up a rank, just Lucario has a few problems. B rank should suffice if it'll actually move up.

252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Pinsir: 95-113 (35 - 41.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Extreme Speed does not help against Mega Pinsir. Even with Stealth Rocks up.

252 SpA Life Orb Lucario Vacuum Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Lopunny: 164-195 (60.5 - 71.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
A bit of proof that Mega Lopunny can live a Vacuum Wave. If Mega Lopunny can live it, then so can Excadrill, Mega Diancie, and Mamoswine.

252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Togekiss: 117-138 (37.6 - 44.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Togekiss Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Lucario: 248-294 (88.2 - 104.6%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
Although it's not an exact OHKO, Togekiss can still live three Extreme Speeds, retaliate with Flamethrower, as well as Roost off the damage.

+4 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 224-264 (56.8 - 67%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Slowbro can take an Extreme Speed, and either Scald or Thunder Wave Lucario which really cripples it.

252 SpA Life Orb Lucario Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 146-174 (55.9 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
As long as Aegislash doesn't switch into the Dank Pulse, it's fine.

252 SpA Life Orb Lucario Flash Cannon vs. 228 HP / 0 SpD Mega Sableye: 140-165 (46.9 - 55.3%) -- 70.3% chance to 2HKO
That number's only going to go down as Sableye sets up more Calm Minds.
As it does provide great fairy coverage, I gotta agree strongly with Gneif. Definatley B rank, but nice write up otherwise :)

Everything should be updated. If you see anything linking to the wrong place, tell me and I'll fix it when I can. (I'd be even better if you could link me to that exact post)

Feel free to suggest more rank changes!

Everything should be updated. If you see anything linking to the wrong place, tell me and I'll fix it when I can. (I'd be even better if you could link me to that exact post)

Feel free to suggest more rank changes!
I was scrolling through, mega houndoom links to a Gliscor post, and Mega Alt and Seismi aren't linked yet to anything.

Klefki from A Rank to S Rank on Fairy

Klefki @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Foul Play / Thunder Wave / Magnet Rise
- Spikes / Thunder Wave / Magnet Rise

Set Details: Most of Klefki's resistances are on the special side(most of its teammates in general have very high special defense to begin with), so a fully psychically defensive is used to optimize its bulk. Reflect and Light Screen coupled with a Light Clay are almost mandated on most Fairy teams. The last two slots are something that most Fairy users have issues coming to a conclusion. Thunder Wave is almost always used for speed control and cripplinig threats, which leaves the last slot open to either Spikes or Foul Play. Spikes allows Klefki to habitually hazard stack, which lets its partners not only apply offensive pressure, but allow them to sweep with continual residual damage which can lead to constant OHKOs. Foul Play, on the other hand, prevents Klefki from becoming set up bait, and helps it eliminate notable threats to the type, such as Scizor. Magnet Rise can be used on specialized Fairy teams, to help Klefki hazard stack almost indefinitely.

Why S Rank? Klefki defines the mono Fairy meta by usage alone. Even though it is not the #1 used mon, it's usage is still over 95%. That's pretty incredible, in my opinion. Usage aside, Klefki is an incredible defensive pivot for most Fairy teams. Being immune to Poison and neutral to Steel, Fairies couldn't ask for a better defensive partner. Klefki can often times be the main defense against the likes of Scizor, Genesect, and Mega-Beedrill(whoever submitted that Bug challenge core seriously needs to not submit anymore in the future D: ). Furthermore, it's Prankster Thunder Wave instantly cripples threats, often times meaning that those threats are, well, no longer threats. Being part of infamous set up cores, dual screen support offered by Klefki can often times be the determinant win condition of a battle, as it allows a partner like Azumarill to set up a Belly Drum, Diancie to set up a Rock Polish or Calm Mind, Clefable to set up Calm Minds or Cosmc Powers, etc. When backed up by Spikes, these partners can often times sweep, and they can do so solely from th support offered by Klefki.

Togekiss from A Rank to S Rank on Fairy

Honestly, there are so many viable sets for Togekiss, so I'll come up with a main one based off the usage statistics, and post few other viable ones beneath it afterwards.

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Roost
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast / Aura Sphere

Set Details: Maximum Speed and Special Attack investment ensure that Togekiss hits as hard and fast as possible, helping minimize the amount of needed hax. Thunder Wave coupled with Serene Grace and Air Slash can make Togekiss an incredibly dangerous threat. Roost provides longevity, and Fire Blast helps target specific Steel types threats. However, if emphasis on coverage is desired, Aura Sphere can be used as well, as Flying + Fighting offer incredible neutral coverage.

Choice Scarf

Togekiss @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast
- Dazzling Gleam / Aura Sphere
- Trick

Wallbreaker

Togekiss @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Roost / Fire Blast

Set-up Sweeper
Togekiss @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 224 Def / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave / Heal Bell
- Roost
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash

Support

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave / Encore / Heal Bell
- Roost
- Air Slash
- Defog / Heal Bell

Wish Passer
Togekiss @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect / Roost
- Air Slash

Why S Rank? Togekiss, just like Klefki, is a mon that defines the mono Fairy meta by usage alone. However, Togekiss is also incredibly versatile, being able to run so many support, defensive, and offensive sets. Togekiss is also a Pokemon that has incredible neutral coverage, and can often times win games with skill hax alone. It's defensive sets can be difficult to break, which gives it ample time to spread status. Overall, Togekiss is invaluable to Fairy teams

Klefki from A Rank to S Rank on Fairy

Klefki @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Foul Play / Thunder Wave / Magnet Rise
- Spikes / Thunder Wave / Magnet Rise

Set Details: Most of Klefki's resistances are on the special side(most of its teammates in general have very high special defense to begin with), so a fully psychically defensive is used to optimize its bulk. Reflect and Light Screen coupled with a Light Clay are almost mandated on most Fairy teams. The last two slots are something that most Fairy users have issues coming to a conclusion. Thunder Wave is almost always used for speed control and cripplinig threats, which leaves the last slot open to either Spikes or Foul Play. Spikes allows Klefki to habitually hazard stack, which lets its partners not only apply offensive pressure, but allow them to sweep with continual residual damage which can lead to constant OHKOs. Foul Play, on the other hand, prevents Klefki from becoming set up bait, and helps it eliminate notable threats to the type, such as Scizor. Magnet Rise can be used on specialized Fairy teams, to help Klefki hazard stack almost indefinitely.

Why S Rank? Klefki defines the mono Fairy meta by usage alone. Even though it is not the #1 used mon, it's usage is still over 95%. That's pretty incredible, in my opinion. Usage aside, Klefki is an incredible defensive pivot for most Fairy teams. Being immune to Poison and neutral to Steel, Fairies couldn't ask for a better defensive partner. Klefki can often times be the main defense against the likes of Scizor, Genesect, and Mega-Beedrill(whoever submitted that Bug challenge core seriously needs to not submit anymore in the future D: ). Furthermore, it's Prankster Thunder Wave instantly cripples threats, often times meaning that those threats are, well, no longer threats. Being part of infamous set up cores, dual screen support offered by Klefki can often times be the determinant win condition of a battle, as it allows a partner like Azumarill to set up a Belly Drum, Diancie to set up a Rock Polish or Calm Mind, Clefable to set up Calm Minds or Cosmc Powers, etc. When backed up by Spikes, these partners can often times sweep, and they can do so solely from th support offered by Klefki.

Togekiss from A Rank to S Rank on Fairy

Honestly, there are so many viable sets for Togekiss, so I'll come up with a main one based off the usage statistics, and post few other viable ones beneath it afterwards.

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Roost
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast / Aura Sphere

Set Details: Maximum Speed and Special Attack investment ensure that Togekiss hits as hard and fast as possible, helping minimize the amount of needed hax. Thunder Wave coupled with Serene Grace and Air Slash can make Togekiss an incredibly dangerous threat. Roost provides longevity, and Fire Blast helps target specific Steel types threats. However, if emphasis on coverage is desired, Aura Sphere can be used as well, as Flying + Fighting offer incredible neutral coverage.

Choice Scarf

Togekiss @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast
- Dazzling Gleam / Aura Sphere
- Trick

Wallbreaker

Togekiss @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Roost / Fire Blast

Set-up Sweeper
Togekiss @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash

Support

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave / Encore / Heal Bell
- Roost
- Air Slash
- Defog / Heal Bell

Wish Passer
Togekiss @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect / Roost
- Air Slash

Why S Rank? Togekiss, just like Klefki, is a mon that defines the mono Fairy meta by usage alone. However, Togekiss is also incredibly versatile, being able to run so many support, defensive, and offensive sets. Togekiss is also a Pokemon that has incredible neutral coverage, and can often times win games with skill hax alone. It's defensive sets can be difficult to break, which gives it ample time to spread status. Overall, Togekiss is invaluable to Fairy teams
I agree with you on Klefki, Togekiss tbh I'm not sure. Yes, it is extremely versatile, but I really don't know whether it's S rank material, like Azumarill. Like it doesn't have a definate niche, for example, Azumarill and Klefki are the only viable fairy mons that are neutral to steel, and Clefable is a great sr setter, and overall tank. Togekiss I really can't tell you whether it defines the fairy meta, compared to Klefki.

I agree with you on Klefki, Togekiss tbh I'm not sure. Yes, it is extremely versatile, but I really don't know whether it's S rank material, like Azumarill. Like it doesn't have a definate niche, for example, Azumarill and Klefki are the only viable fairy mons that are neutral to steel, and Clefable is a great sr setter, and overall tank. Togekiss I really can't tell you whether it defines the fairy meta, compared to Klefki.
Niches are not what makes a mon S Rank. Niche mons are chosen over higher tiered mons for said niche. The requirements for S Rank mons are:

1) S Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that can easily play a role against a majority of type matchups with ease, meaning it will never be useless in any matchup.
2) These Pokemon need little to no support (which can be easily given) for them to do their job (Both Defensive and Offensive).
3) They are easy to bring in and out, and often with little to no risk (Mostly Defensive).
4) They can fulfill a ton of roles depending on what you need, and they surpass other Pokemon who have the same role.
5)These Pokemon define the metagame.

As you can see, Togekiss can fit into most of these categories well. Togekiss also has the potential to defeat Bisharp 1 v 1 on Dark without taking any damage due to it's speed tier, while having none of its team mates be a safe switch into Aura Sphere/Fire Blast for either type. Togekiss is also the main defensive against Venusaur, which is huge, unless you are running BD Azumarill WITH a Jolly nauture AND a minimum of 188 Speed EVs AND Double-Edge to outspeed and OHKO Venusaur at +6. An alternate to that would be Mega-Gardevoir with Psychic.

Here's a replay that I had versus a friend showing how good Togekiss is versus Steel matchups. Granted, he could have sent in Excadrill in on Togekiss after Magnezone got killed, but then Azumari would have gotten a free Belly Drum with the Reflect and neutral hit (Excadrill went for Rapid Spin because to keep Sturdy from Skarmory intact for BD Azumarill). Overall Togekiss is a major threat, and you'll never know what set its running until you scout its moveset or item
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/monotype-258159316

To be honest. I must disagree with Klefki going to S Rank. Togekiss I think is completely viable and should be moved up. All Klefki can do is set up screens. Which, mind you, can be very easily tossed away with defog. Also, Klefki's sets are so well known, that its so easy to predict what move Klefki is going to use. Although its usage stats are up there, usage stats aren't the only thing that matters in viability. Klefki can't do shit on offense either, although it is huge for defense. I don't think its enough for moving up to S Rank.

To be honest. I must disagree with Klefki going to S Rank. Togekiss I think is completely viable and should be moved up. All Klefki can do is set up screens. Which, mind you, can be very easily tossed away with defog. Also, Klefki's sets are so well known, that its so easy to predict what move Klefki is going to use. Although its usage stats are up there, usage stats aren't the only thing that matters in viability. Klefki can't do shit on offense either, although it is huge for defense. I don't think its enough for moving up to S Rank.
While i do agree that klefki lacks offensive presence, it's defensive presence is unparalleled in the type. Yes, screens can be removed via defog, but that turn can be used to set up by a teammate, as defog users are generally standard and easy identify. Without klefki, the type itself struggles with fairy ct coverage, and scarfed threats such as Terrakion ( iron head/poison jab+ stone edge), kyurem-b ( iron head + fusion bolt) toxicroak, offensive scolipede, etc have a field day with the type. Klefki also one of the few things on the type that can even hope of defeating mega-scizor on the type, and functions as great speed control in general

Physical Tyranitar

formerly Marquis of Blaze
Okay then.

Regirock from Unlisted to B Rank in Monotype Rock.

In this generation, Monotype Rock, Steel, and Ground teams have been nerfed with the end of permanent sandstorm, which Tyranitar and Hippowdon commonly supplied. This also made Pokemon with the ability to summon weather but with no other use such as Ninetales and Politoed go to PU, and even their abilities were banned there eventually. Previously, Rock Types would receive a 50% boost to their Special Defense in a Sandstorm, allowing them to stomach super-effective hits that they would normally not be able to survive without the Sandstorm. Some recovery moves and SolarBeam were hindered in the Sand, even working better for Rock. But with the 6th Generation, Sand, and all forms of weather, are no longer permanent. This has made formerly viable threats such as Gigalith, Carracosta, and Regirock plummet tier-wise. That does not mean that all is bad for one of the legendary Rock Golems.

Boasting a skyhigh Base 200 Defense and usable Base 100 Special Defense, along with a good Base 100 Attack, it is still able to hold it's own. It has many sets that make it a viable option in any Rock Type Team, and can be a decent replacement for Mega Aggron should you choose to run Mega Diancie/Tyranitar as your Mega of choice instead. It gets an excellent support movepool of Stealth Rock, Toxic, and Thunder Wave, and even gets solid recovery with Drain Punch, an asset that many of its team mates would kill to have. An offensive set is not out of the question, as it can either run a threating Rock Polish Set, Choice Band, Life Orb, or a Curse SleepTalker. Regirock can run a plethora of sets effectively in Monotype Wall and could be your go-to guy to absorb a never ending fury of physical attacks, whether it means surviving a Close Combat from Infernape or a High Jump Kick from Mega Lopunny. The first set here is the Support Set:

Regirock@Rocky Helmet/Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP, 44 Attack, 16 Defense, 196 Special Defense
Ability: Clear Body
Nature: Impish
-Stealth Rock
-Stone Edge/Superpower/Rock Slide/Bulldoze
-Thunder Wave/Toxic
-Drain Punch/Fire Punch/Earthquake/Rest

The standard set for NU Regirock actually functions well in Monotype. It aims to bolster both sides of Regirock's defenses while also maintaining a supportive outlook. Should you choose to use Regirock as your lead, Stealth Rock should always be first priority. Regirock's natural bulk allows it to set up fully before dying. With Clear Body you no longer have to worry about Intimidate Leads because they will not be able to penetrate your defenses. If the opponent lead is setting up through Dragon Dance, Rock Polish, Double Dance, etc. Bulldoze & Thunder Wave completely mess up your opponent. No Pokemon wants to be at -1 or at half speed, and this is a godsend to Monotype Rock as the few Rock Types with Thunder Wave are usually offensive. If you are wanting to stall, Toxic always helps on giving the opponent a slow death. Stone Edge is the recommended attack of choice as it gets STAB and a very high critical hit ratio, even with little investment, though you are always free to use Superpower to dent Mega Lopunny, Chansey, Empoleon, and others. Regirock gets recovery in the forms of Drain Punch & Rest, one doing damage while the other one acting as a Full Restore.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In Monotype Rock, if you are running a recommended Sand Team and the Sand wares off and Tyranitar is dead, it is helpful to remember the high possibility of an offensive Regirock in the form of an all-out attacker in an Assault Vest. Assault Vest limits Regirock to only using attacking moves, but it is noted that Regirock can still function even if being Taunted. Here comes the Assault Vest Regirock set:

Regirock@Assault Vest
EVs: 240 HP, 252 Attack, 16 Def/Spd/Sp.Def
Nature: Adamant
-Fire Punch/Drain Punch
-Stone Edge/Rock Slide
-Superpower/Drain Punch
-Earthquake

Assault Vest Regirock is a commonly overlooked set that can be very dangerous in the right situation. With an Assault Vest, it becomes an absurdly-bulky physical attacker nightmare that can sweep and switch into Intimidate. If Grass Types are giving you trouble, Fire Punch 3HKO-2HKOs them, even scoring for a chance to get a burn, which severely hinders Grass Physical Attackers that could really threaten Mono Rock such as Breloom, Virizion, and physical Mega Venusaur. As mentioned before, Drain Punch deals heavy damage to Steel Types such as Heatran but usually won't deal much, but has recovery. Another option is Power-Up Punch if you intend to use a stalling foe as setup fodder, but will not be dealing much damage, even at +1. Stone Edge is hard-hitting with STAB and a high critical-hit ratio, but if you are more concerned about accuracy, Rock Slide and even Smack Down are other options with higher accuracy at the cost of power. Earthquake is always a good option.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In conclusion, Regirock is a powerful asset to any Monotype Rock team. It isn't perfect, as it is another physical attacker preyed on by Mega Sableye, but it has its uses and perks. It is generally inferior to Mega Aggron but can be a perfect substitute if the Rock T-Rex is not your Mega. It also needs significant support from Tyranitar and others to function well, but all and all, it is a very viable Pokemon that can help you wage war on Monotype Rock.

Okay then.

Regirock from Unlisted to B Rank in Monotype Rock.

In this generation, Monotype Rock, Steel, and Ground teams have been nerfed with the end of permanent sandstorm, which Tyranitar and Hippowdon commonly supplied. This also made Pokemon with the ability to summon weather but with no other use such as Ninetales and Politoed go to PU, and even their abilities were banned there eventually. Previously, Rock Types would receive a 50% boost to their Special Defense in a Sandstorm, allowing them to stomach super-effective hits that they would normally not be able to survive without the Sandstorm. Some recovery moves and SolarBeam were hindered in the Sand, even working better for Rock. But with the 6th Generation, Sand, and all forms of weather, are no longer permanent. This has made formerly viable threats such as Gigalith, Carracosta, and Regirock plummet tier-wise. That does not mean that all is bad for one of the legendary Rock Golems.

Boasting a skyhigh Base 200 Defense and usable Base 100 Special Defense, along with a good Base 100 Attack, it is still able to hold it's own. It has many sets that make it a viable option in any Rock Type Team, and can be a decent replacement for Mega Aggron should you choose to run Mega Diancie/Tyranitar as your Mega of choice instead. It gets an excellent support movepool of Stealth Rock, Toxic, and Thunder Wave, and even gets solid recovery with Drain Punch, an asset that many of its team mates would kill to have. An offensive set is not out of the question, as it can either run a threating Rock Polish Set, Choice Band, Life Orb, or a Curse SleepTalker. Regirock can run a plethora of sets effectively in Monotype Wall and could be your go-to guy to absorb a never ending fury of physical attacks, whether it means surviving a Close Combat from Infernape or a High Jump Kick from Mega Lopunny. The first set here is the Support Set:

Regirock@Rocky Helmet/Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP, 44 Attack, 16 Defense, 196 Special Defense
Nature: Impish
-Stealth Rock
-Stone Edge/Superpower/Rock Slide/Bulldoze
-Thunder Wave/Toxic
-Drain Punch/Fire Punch/Earthquake/Rest

The standard set for NU Regirock actually functions well in Monotype. It aims to bolster both sides of Regirock's defenses while also maintaining a supportive outlook. Should you choose to use Regirock as your lead, Stealth Rock should always be first priority. Regirock's natural bulk allows it to set up fully before dying. With Clear Body you no longer have to worry about Intimidate Leads because they will not be able to penetrate your defenses. If the opponent lead is setting up through Dragon Dance, Rock Polish, Double Dance, etc. Bulldoze & Thunder Wave completely mess up your opponent. No Pokemon wants to be at -1 or at half speed, and this is a godsend to Monotype Rock as the few Rock Types with Thunder Wave are usually offensive. If you are wanting to stall, Toxic always helps on giving the opponent a slow death. Stone Edge is the recommended attack of choice as it gets STAB and a very high critical hit ratio, even with little investment, though you are always free to use Superpower to dent Mega Lopunny, Chansey, Empoleon, and others. Regirock gets recovery in the forms of Drain Punch & Rest, one doing damage while the other one acting as a Full Restore.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In Monotype Rock, if you are running a recommended Sand Team and the Sand wares off and Tyranitar is dead, it is helpful to remember the high possibility of an offensive Regirock in the form of an all-out attacker in an Assault Vest. Assault Vest limits Regirock to only using attacking moves, but it is noted that Regirock can still function even if being Taunted. Here comes the Assault Vest Regirock set:

Regirock@Assault Vest
EVs: 240 HP, 252 Attack, 16 Def/Spd/Sp.Def
Nature: Adamant
-Fire Punch/Drain Punch
-Stone Edge/Rock Slide
-Superpower/Drain Punch
-Earthquake

Assault Vest Regirock is a commonly overlooked set that can be very dangerous in the right situation. With an Assault Vest, it becomes an absurdly-bulky physical attacker nightmare that can sweep and switch into Intimidate. If Grass Types are giving you trouble, Fire Punch 3HKO-2HKOs them, even scoring for a chance to get a burn, which severely hinders Grass Physical Attackers that could really threaten Mono Rock such as Breloom, Virizion, and physical Mega Venusaur. As mentioned before, Drain Punch deals heavy damage to Steel Types such as Heatran but usually won't deal much, but has recovery. Another option is Power-Up Punch if you intend to use a stalling foe as setup fodder, but will not be dealing much damage, even at +1. Stone Edge is hard-hitting with STAB and a high critical-hit ratio, but if you are more concerned about accuracy, Rock Slide and even Smack Down are other options with higher accuracy at the cost of power. Earthquake is always a good option.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In conclusion, Regirock is a powerful asset to any Monotype Rock team. It isn't perfect, as it is another physical attacker preyed on by Mega Sableye, but it has its uses and perks. It is generally inferior to Mega Aggron but can be a perfect substitute if the Rock T-Rex is not your Mega. It also needs significant support from Tyranitar and others to function well, but all and all, it is a very viable Pokemon that can help you wage war on Monotype Rock.
I'm gonna have to disagree with you. It's speeds way too sub pat to be viable for a rock polish set, and the fact that it doesn't have the best defensive typing that doesn't benefit the team, and no reliable recovery means this thing is by no means B rank. I'd agree more towards it for D rank, but c rank is alright.

Last edited:

Physical Tyranitar

On Second Thought, I'd also go with C Rank. Although D Rank is a little much.
Note: Rock Polish is actually perfect for Base 50 Speed although it isn't preferred.
Other Nominees:

Murkrow from D Rank to Unlisted
We should be completely honest here. Who actually uses this in Monotype Dark? Already Honchkrow has exactly one use, which is to rape all Fighting Types with Choice Scarf Brave Bird. Murkrow is the game's worst Prankster user anyway and Sableye is better in almost every way.

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Murkrow from D Rank to Unlisted
We should be completely honest here. Who actually uses this in Monotype Dark? Already Honchkrow has exactly one use, which is to rape all Fighting Types with Choice Scarf Brave Bird. Murkrow is the game's worst Prankster user anyway and Sableye is better in almost every way.
The only reason it's at D as opposed to unlisted is Destiny Bond Prankster. It has a niche, but it's so tiny that it doesn't really fit into D anymore. It used to be D material, but barely. Now I'd agree with unlisted or E rank (if there is E rank. I forgot)

The only reason it's at D as opposed to unlisted is Destiny Bond Prankster. It has a niche, but it's so tiny that it doesn't really fit into D anymore. It used to be D material, but barely. Now I'd agree with unlisted or E rank (if there is E rank. I forgot)
There is, but, its basically anything not ranked/is just too terrible.

On Second Thought, I'd also go with C Rank. Although D Rank is a little much.
Note: Rock Polish is actually perfect for Base 50 Speed although it isn't preferred.
Actually, I think I would have to disagree with even a C rank. Regirock is outclassed as a wall by Mega-Aggron. While they both lack reliable recovery, Regirock has a downright terrible defensive typing, and is outclassed by Mega-Aggron's better Defensive bulk and defensive typing. Rock Polish seems a bit outclassed by Rhyperior due to Rhyperior having Solid Rock and being able to run even a Weakness Policy set. Buldoze is pointless when you have Thunder Wave, which Mega-Aggron already has. Regirock as a Stealth Rock lead is not very good since you're better off leading with Shuckle or some other offensive Pokemon. Assault Vest is outclassed by Assault Vest Tyranitar.

If D doesn't suffice, I would say C-, but I wouldn't say any higher than that. Regirock is just outclassed by a bunch of stuff and has a terrible defensive typing.

DoW

formally Death on Wings
Actually, I think I would have to disagree with even a C rank. Regirock is outclassed as a wall by Mega-Aggron. While they both lack reliable recovery, Regirock has a downright terrible defensive typing, and is outclassed by Mega-Aggron's better Defensive bulk and defensive typing. Rock Polish seems a bit outclassed by Rhyperior due to Rhyperior having Solid Rock and being able to run even a Weakness Policy set. Buldoze is pointless when you have Thunder Wave, which Mega-Aggron already has. Regirock as a Stealth Rock lead is not very good since you're better off leading with Shuckle or some other offensive Pokemon. Assault Vest is outclassed by Assault Vest Tyranitar.

If D doesn't suffice, I would say C-, but I wouldn't say any higher than that. Regirock is just outclassed by a bunch of stuff and has a terrible defensive typing.
When discussing Mega Aggron on rock, the danger is always that you might want another mega: Aerodactyl is strong vs. fighting types, while Mega Diancie is an outright amazing mon in its own right.
That said, Regirock struggles to find a niche when competing with mons such as Rhyperior and Tyranitar in general, so D rank would probably suit Regirock as much as C would.

Physical Tyranitar

C/D Rank then. Of course it is outclassed by Mega Aggron as a wall, but I said that it is decent if you choose to run another Mega such as Mega Tyranitar, Mega Aerodactyl, Mega Diancie. BTW, Rhyperior isn't viable in Monotype Rock, even with an Assault Vest.

C/D Rank then. Of course it is outclassed by Mega Aggron as a wall, but I said that it is decent if you choose to run another Mega such as Mega Tyranitar, Mega Aerodactyl, Mega Diancie. BTW, Rhyperior isn't viable in Monotype Rock, even with an Assault Vest.
Actually, Rhyperior with Solid Rock is able to run a Weakness Policy + Rock Polish Set, which I have seen be used by many great Monotype Rock players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)