Monotype Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Landorus-T for A (S?) Rank on Ground
Lando T suprisingly is a really nice mon to have. For people that don't run Lando I, it can work as a sweeper, wallbreaker, and pivot. It is an amazing partner for mons such as excadrill ans mega camel, as it provides a ground immunity, and resists fighting. That, and it is very easy to switch in thanks to imtimidate, which minimizes physical damage. I got a couple sets ro show case, I'm on mobile driving to Vermont rn, so excuse me if I fuck the format up lol.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf / Choice Band
Evs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Knock Off / Superpower / Explosion
-U Turn

Not many ground teams run scarf sweepers since Exca alone can sweep entire teams, but with the recent nerf, a more reliable option for speed is really nice to have. It can switch into a lot of physical attacks exca is normally weak to, and can sweep without the aid of sandstorm. It can also be a really nice banded wallbreaker if you wanted. EQ is your spammable STAB, Stone Edge would be for EdgeQuake coverage, U Turn is to pivot out/allow you to scout you opponent a bit, and get out dealing a nice chunk of damage. Knock Off would be to help with mons like Slowbro, Latios, ans these pimps who run Eviolite things. And, Explosion, oh boy, great on either set, I won't go through what havoc you can wreck with that lol.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Evs: 252 Atk / 196 Hp / 60 Spe/ 4 Def
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge / Rockslide / Knock Off
-Swords Dance
-Rock Polish

Good ok Double Dance, lately I've been having fun with this set, bc it's completely adaptable to almost any situation. You can be a wallbreaker, and devistate stuff such as Mega Venu, Rock Polish to prepare to clean a team up, OR boost both when you find a good chance, and completely and utterly anhialate entire teams. I really can't stress how amazing this set is, this alone is why I'm questioning whether this is S rank material period lol. Overall, if you haven't tried this yet, I highly recommend it.

The main concern here is the loss of Lando I, since unfortunately it is impossible to have both, and grounds options for special attackers are limited. But, if you can get around that, Lando T would be a great addition to any team. There's also the fact that even powder snow can kill this thing, so, like Lando I, get some ice coverage. Overall, great great mon, I don't blame the fact it has low usage, bc Lando I is also amazing. But hopefully getting it out of the depths of E rank and Unlisted can help. XD

Btw Reserving Articuno and Piloswine for Ice and Whimsicott for Grass (I feel like they need a rank up)

Last edited:

Physical Tyranitar

formerly Marquis of Blaze
Regirock isn't a popular Pokemon, but this nomination isn't as outlandish as it seems.....

Mega Lopunny from A Rank to S Rank in Monotype Normal

(Don't feel bad for Mega Sableye, Lop's just pissed that she was burned, taunted, and confused)

Mega Lopunny is an example of how miracles can happen. With Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire came a wave of new Mega Evolutions, but unfortunately, many of them turned out to be completely unviable. Mega Audino, currently A Rank in Mono Normal, maybe survive a Close Combat from a +1 Heracross, but Eviolite Porygon2 can, plus with higher special attack, and better bulk, so Audino is a complete waste of a mega slot when there is a better option available. Mega Lopunny is arguably the best Mega Evolution, and it shined light on a terrible Pokemon. With virtually incalcuable speed and offenses, decent bulk, and the physical movepool to back it up. And with the ability Scrappy, it can launch an Assault of STAB attacks such as High Jump Kick, Return, and Fake Out, but it has to worry about getting burned. Nonetheless, as Mega Lopunny as your Mega Evolution, it instantly gives you the possibility to sweep teams that would completely wall you if you used Mega Pidgeot, such as Steel, Rock, and others. It can focus as a substitute attacker, a wallbreaker, or a physical sweeper with ease, and has the attack stats to put the hurt on Heatran, Tyranitar, Terrakion, and Skarmory. While it has some flaws, these are very minor, as Mega Lopunny is a balanced attacker that doesn't die to a single hit and can even sweep Fairy, Fighting, and Flying teams on occasion. It's typing is also better than you think; a resistance to Dark, Rock, and Bug can support your other teammates on your Monotype Normal team. Blessed with the elemental punches, the Happiness Attacks, the Kicks, Fake Out, and much more, Mega Lopunny can sweep and destroy teams that you are even neutral to with Ice and Dark with ease. With the power, bulk, movepool, ability and speed, Mega Lopunny is a top-tier threat that can put the hurt on your foes like no one ever has. Here is the standard sweeper set:

Lopunny@Lopunnite
EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Ability: Scrappy(Limber on regular)
Jolly/Adamant Nature, Jolly is strongly preferred
-Fake Out
-High Jump Kick
-Return/Frustration
-Ice Punch
This set is arguably the best sweeper set in OU, so it is a no-brainer that Mega Lopunny would transfer well to Monotype. To break sashes when Mega Lopunny is coming in, plus a turn for the Mega Evolution Speed to active, Fake Out is a better variant of Protect, as it gets STAB and makes the opponent flinch. High Jump Kick has enough power to knock out most mons with epic Power and STAB that will not be suspecting that. The one thing that can stop it, Landorus-Therian Pivot, is completely obliterated by Ice Punch.

In conclusion, a Mega Lopunny is a tyrant that can sweep through opponent's teams. It still has its counters; Mega Sableye, unlike exhibited in the gif, stops and cripples Mega Lopunny with a Prankster Burn. Landorus-Therian and Mandibuzz and dedicated walls survive anything Mega Lopunny throws at it, and can either fight back or cripple or even KO. But Mega Lopunny is undoubtedly the best Mega in Monotype Normal that can rip through teams and be a late-game cleaner.

Regirock isn't a popular Pokemon, but this nomination isn't as outlandish as it seems.....

Mega Lopunny from A Rank to S Rank in Monotype Normal

(Don't feel bad for Mega Sableye, Lop's just pissed that she was burned, taunted, and confused)

Mega Lopunny is an example of how miracles can happen. With Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire came a wave of new Mega Evolutions, but unfortunately, many of them turned out to be completely unviable. Mega Audino, currently A Rank in Mono Normal, maybe survive a Close Combat from a +1 Heracross, but Eviolite Porygon2 can, plus with higher special attack, and better bulk, so Audino is a complete waste of a mega slot when there is a better option available. Mega Lopunny is arguably the best Mega Evolution, and it shined light on a terrible Pokemon. With virtually incalcuable speed and offenses, decent bulk, and the physical movepool to back it up. And with the ability Scrappy, it can launch an Assault of STAB attacks such as High Jump Kick, Return, and Fake Out, but it has to worry about getting burned. Nonetheless, as Mega Lopunny as your Mega Evolution, it instantly gives you the possibility to sweep teams that would completely wall you if you used Mega Pidgeot, such as Steel, Rock, and others. It can focus as a substitute attacker, a wallbreaker, or a physical sweeper with ease, and has the attack stats to put the hurt on Heatran, Tyranitar, Terrakion, and Skarmory. While it has some flaws, these are very minor, as Mega Lopunny is a balanced attacker that doesn't die to a single hit and can even sweep Fairy, Fighting, and Flying teams on occasion. It's typing is also better than you think; a resistance to Dark, Rock, and Bug can support your other teammates on your Monotype Normal team. Blessed with the elemental punches, the Happiness Attacks, the Kicks, Fake Out, and much more, Mega Lopunny can sweep and destroy teams that you are even neutral to with Ice and Dark with ease. With the power, bulk, movepool, ability and speed, Mega Lopunny is a top-tier threat that can put the hurt on your foes like no one ever has. Here is the standard sweeper set:

Lopunny@Lopunnite
EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Ability: Scrappy(Limber on regular)
Jolly/Adamant Nature, Jolly is strongly preferred
-Fake Out
-High Jump Kick
-Return/Frustration
-Ice Punch
This set is arguably the best sweeper set in OU, so it is a no-brainer that Mega Lopunny would transfer well to Monotype. To break sashes when Mega Lopunny is coming in, plus a turn for the Mega Evolution Speed to active, Fake Out is a better variant of Protect, as it gets STAB and makes the opponent flinch. High Jump Kick has enough power to knock out most mons with epic Power and STAB that will not be suspecting that. The one thing that can stop it, Landorus-Therian Pivot, is completely obliterated by Ice Punch.

In conclusion, a Mega Lopunny is a tyrant that can sweep through opponent's teams. It still has its counters; Mega Sableye, unlike exhibited in the gif, stops and cripples Mega Lopunny with a Prankster Burn. Landorus-Therian and Mandibuzz and dedicated walls survive anything Mega Lopunny throws at it, and can either fight back or cripple or even KO. But Mega Lopunny is undoubtedly the best Mega in Monotype Normal that can rip through teams and be a late-game cleaner.
I like the write up, and nice sarcasm lol, but, tbh idk if mega lop is S rank material. If there was a BL between a and s, I'd put it there. Your very correct in saying scrappy is a great tool, but it does have competition with Mega Pidgeot, as it sweeps fighting, bug, and grass, the top 2 being very dominant types rn. There's also the fact that on most normal teams, outside Heliolisk and scarf Porygon-Z, normal doesn't have the greatest selection of special sweepers, which is where pidgeot has spotlight. Lop us a great mon overall, but I think in this case, a rank is more suitable.

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm going to make a change to the ranking of one of the Pokemon I feel is deserving of a higher rank.
Jynx for C-rank on Monotype Ice

(actual representation of Lovely Kiss some times)
Jynx is by no means an amazing Pokemon, held back by its low defenses and weakness to Stealth Rock, as well as facing competition from Froslass as a Fighting-type check and utility Pokemon, but it still has some niches on the type from what I've seen. First off, it has coverage in Focus Blast, which allows it to hit Steel- and Dark-types, which can both be threats to Mono Ice in their own aspects. Lovely Kiss is also a very good move (when it hits), which can turn the tide on games and allow Jynx to take on Pokemon such as Bisharp which would Sucker Punch in fear of a Focus Blast. Psychic can also allow Jynx to take on Fighting-types, which heavily threaten its team. Due to Dry Skin, Jynx can actually check Water-types such as Tentacruel (without Knock Off), Mono-attacking Manaphy, and Starmie. Now let's get on to some sample sets:

Jynx @ Focus Sash
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Lovely Kiss
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

This set, by far, is my favorite Jynx set to use as it can check Pokemon much easier, as well as getting a second chance to use a move if it misses or needs more damage in general. As stated before, Lovely Kiss puts foes to sleep and can help check slower users of Sucker Punch (Bisharp, Honchkrow, etc.), Ice Beam and Psychic are dual STABs, and Focus Blast is great for taking on Steel- and Dark-types. Life Orb is an option on this set, however it makes Jynx more vulnerable to priority etc.

Jynx (F) @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast / Lovely Kiss
- Psychic

This is another set I've been testing out, which capitalizes on switching into Mono-attacking or choice-locked Water-types, weak Pokemon, or on an incoming Sucker Punch. The moves are basically the same, however Lovely Kiss wouldn't be the best option in this situation since Jynx needs its coverage moves.

Trick Scarf, Lead Trick Room paired with Pokemon such as Mega Abomasnow, Anti-lead with Taunt, and Nasty Plot can all be options, but I feel that the sets above are probably the best options in the current metagame. Hidden Power Fire can also be an option if you want to take on Pokemon like Scizor and Genesect better, although the former can Bullet Punch Jynx if it doesn't have a Focus Sash and the latter can outpace and U-turn on it.

All in all, Jynx is an extremely underrated threat on Ice Monotypes and can make a big impact during a game, and is a pretty solid check to Sucker Punch users and Choice Locked Water-types, giving it a bit of a niche over Froslass, not to mention it's great coverage and access Lovely Kiss.

Last edited:
I'm going to make a change to the ranking of one of the Pokemon I feel is deserving of a higher rank.
Jynx for C-rank on Monotype Ice

(actual representation of Lovely Kiss some times)
Jynx is by no means an amazing Pokemon, held back by its low defenses and weakness to Stealth Rock, as well as facing competition from Froslass as a Fighting-type check and utility Pokemon, but it still has some niches on the type from what I've seen. First off, it has coverage in Focus Blast, which allows it to hit Steel- and Dark-types, which can both be threats to Mono Ice in their own aspects. Lovely Kiss is also a very good move (when it hits), which can turn the tide on games and allow Jynx to take on Pokemon such as Bisharp which would Sucker Punch in fear of a Focus Blast. Psychic can also allow Jynx to take on Fighting-types, which heavily threaten its team. Due to Dry Skin, Jynx can actually check Water-types such as Tentacruel (without Knock Off), Mono-attacking Manaphy, and Starmie. Now let's get on to some sample sets:

Jynx @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Lovely Kiss
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

This set, by far, is my favorite Jynx set to use as it can check Pokemon much easier, as well as getting a second chance to use a move if it misses or needs more damage in general. As stated before, Lovely Kiss puts foes to sleep and can help check slower users of Sucker Punch (Bisharp, Honchkrow, etc.), Ice Beam and Psychic are dual STABs, and Focus Blast is great for taking on Steel- and Dark-types. Life Orb is an option on this set, however it makes Jynx more vulnerable to priority etc.

Jynx (F) @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast / Lovely Kiss
- Psychic

This is another set I've been testing out, which capitalizes on switching into Mono-attacking or choice-locked Water-types, weak Pokemon, or on an incoming Sucker Punch. The moves are basically the same, however Lovely Kiss wouldn't be the best option in this situation since Jynx needs its coverage moves.

Trick Scarf, Anti-lead with Taunt, and Nasty Plot can all be options, but I feel that the sets above are probably the best options in the current metagame. Hidden Power Fire can also be an option if you want to take on Pokemon like Scizor and Genesect better, although the former can Bullet Punch Jynx if it doesn't have a Focus Sash and the latter can outpace and U-turn on it.

All in all, Jynx is an extremely underrated threat on Ice Monotypes and can make a big impact during a game, and is a pretty solid check to Sucker Punch users and Choice Locked Water-types, giving it a bit of a niche over Froslass, not to mention it's great coverage and access Lovely Kiss.
My buddy theThorn runs a Trick Room jynx on his ice team, and got up to #7 on the ladder a while back. I'd maybe Slash that on somewhere as it does go well with slower mons like mega aboma

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus
My buddy theThorn runs a Trick Room jynx on his ice team, and got up to #7 on the ladder a while back. I'd maybe Slash that on somewhere as it does go well with slower mons like mega aboma
I was actually contemplating using a Trick Room Ice team before using Jynx as it does have access to Taunt and Magic Coat, as well as Lovely Kiss, so I'll give it a mention. Thanks for the idea man.

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus
Going back, I realized that Mega Glalie isn't even ranked, which is pretty preposterous given how good it actually can be.
Nominating Mega Glalie for C-rank on Ice Monotype.

Mega Glalie is a really solid attacker, with one of the best base Speeds on Monotype Ice, with great attacks to follow it up. Access to Refrigerate makes Mega Glalie a huge threat in general, allowing it to use moves such as Double-Edge and even Explosion for great results, as well as followed up by moves such as Freeze-Dry and Earthquake. Glalie also possesses a series of support moves such as Spikes, Taunt, and Super Fang, which can be used to support its team, or take on walls for its team. Although Glalie doesn't offer 100% accurate Blizzards, as Mega Abomasnow does, it can still support its team in effective ways, supporting my argument for it to be ranked. Without any more waiting, here are some sample sets Mega Glalie can use:

Glalie @ Glalitite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe (this is the spread for Freeze-Dry, you can put the 4 EVs in Defense or Special Defense and make the nature Jolly if you aren't using that move)
Naive Nature
- Double-Edge
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Freeze-Dry / Explosion / Super Fang / Spikes

This is really the catch-all set for Glalie, as most of the changes to its set can be altered in the last spot depending on what you want to beat. Freeze-Dry takes on Water-types, while Explosion does a large amount to anything barring walls that resist it, while Super Fang can be used to break down walls and Spikes can be used for entry hazards if you're not using lead Froslass. Mega Glalie overall is one of the best ways to take on Heatran without an Air Balloon, as well as being solid against Steel-types in general.

Other sets could include a lead Spiker, although Froslass is generally better at that job, or just switching around the moves in the last spot.

As anyone can see, Mega Glalie is a really good Pokemon on Monotype Ice, and doesn't deserve to be unranked.

Going back, I realized that Mega Glalie isn't even ranked, which is pretty preposterous given how good it actually can be.
Nominating Mega Glalie for C-rank on Ice Monotype.

Mega Glalie is a really solid attacker, with one of the best base Speeds on Monotype Ice, with great attacks to follow it up. Access to Refrigerate makes Mega Glalie a huge threat in general, allowing it to use moves such as Double-Edge and even Explosion for great results, as well as followed up by moves such as Freeze-Dry and Earthquake. Glalie also possesses a series of support moves such as Spikes, Taunt, and Super Fang, which can be used to support its team, or take on walls for its team. Although Glalie doesn't offer 100% accurate Blizzards, as Mega Abomasnow does, it can still support its team in effective ways, supporting my argument for it to be ranked. Without any more waiting, here are some sample sets Mega Glalie can use:

Glalie @ Glalitite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe (this is the spread for Freeze-Dry, you can put the 4 EVs in Defense or Special Defense and make the nature Jolly if you aren't using that move)
Naive Nature
- Double-Edge
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Freeze-Dry / Explosion / Super Fang / Spikes

This is really the catch-all set for Glalie, as most of the changes to its set can be altered in the last spot depending on what you want to beat. Freeze-Dry takes on Water-types, while Explosion does a large amount to anything barring walls that resist it, while Super Fang can be used to break down walls and Spikes can be used for entry hazards if you're not using lead Froslass. Mega Glalie overall is one of the best ways to take on Heatran without an Air Balloon, as well as being solid against Steel-types in general.

Other sets could include a lead Spiker, although Froslass is generally better at that job, or just switching around the moves in the last spot.

As anyone can see, Mega Glalie is a really good Pokemon on Monotype Ice, and doesn't deserve to be unranked.
Agreed. You know, if mega glalie got hyper voice, it'd be so much more viable. But, that's not the case rip.

Physical Tyranitar

Actually, Rhyperior with Solid Rock is able to run a Weakness Policy + Rock Polish Set, which I have seen be used by many great Monotype Rock players.
Rock Polish Rhyperior? No offense, that seems very unviable. First of all, it has Base 40 Speed, as Stunfisk said, is HORRIBLE for a set like that. You also have to have no hazards for it to work at all or it is going to be KO'd. We all are very aware of Showdown's hax, so Scald is usually going to burn you. Solid Rock usually isn't enough. Surf and Giga Drain are going to KO it anyway, and most decent mons will outspeed it. Plus, who would attack Rhyperior physically anyway? Its like using a Physical attacker against a Mega Aggron. Seriously, Rhyperior isn't the best. Those "Great Monotype Rock Players" are just running gimmicks. The best set Mono Rhyperior runs is Assault Vest, as it allows it to check Mega Charizard Y and survive STAB attacks from uninvested tanks such as Vaporeon and Slowbro, even then it isn't very good.

Also, I disagree with Jynx being C Rank for Mono Ice. It has no outstanding trait, even Scarf Psychic to sweep Fighting teams isn't the best. It has subpar bulk, and relatively shallow attacking stats, plus bad movepool. It should be low D Rank at the very best.

But on the other hand, I agree with Mega Glalie.

Rock Polish Rhyperior? No offense, that seems very unviable. First of all, it has Base 40 Speed, as Stunfisk said, is HORRIBLE for a set like that. You also have to have no hazards for it to work at all or it is going to be KO'd. We all are very aware of Showdown's hax, so Scald is usually going to burn you. Solid Rock usually isn't enough. Surf and Giga Drain are going to KO it anyway, and most decent mons will outspeed it. Plus, who would attack Rhyperior physically anyway? Its like using a Physical attacker against a Mega Aggron. Seriously, Rhyperior isn't the best. Those "Great Monotype Rock Players" are just running gimmicks. The best set Mono Rhyperior runs is Assault Vest, as it allows it to check Mega Charizard Y and survive STAB attacks from uninvested tanks such as Vaporeon and Slowbro, even then it isn't very good.
It was just an example of something that outclasses Regirock. Yes, true, Rock Polish isn't great with Rhyperior, but even that set outclasses Regirock. Plus, Bulky Weakness Policy Rhyperior is a thing, js. I think SirSkit mentioned that he has ran it once. But I wasn't saying that was Rhyperior's best set, because it isn't. But even that set outclasses a similar set Regirock could run.

Also, you were the one who mentioned a Rock Polish set on Regirock, so I was merely countering your statement with a Pokemon that would do the job better if you wanted to run that set.

Also, I disagree with Jynx being C Rank for Mono Ice. It has no outstanding trait, even Scarf Psychic to sweep Fighting teams isn't the best. It has subpar bulk, and relatively shallow attacking stats, plus bad movepool. It should be low D Rank at the very best.

But on the other hand, I agree with Mega Glalie.
I disagree with your disagreement lol. Jynx is a fairly decent ice mon, provides much needed coverage to fighting, and lovely kiss lottery isn't a bad bet lil. C rank is pretty suitable. As for this argument, he does have a point that you clearly brought up Rock Polish regirock, but I think it's rank is decided, which is all that matters.

Physical Tyranitar

Well true, Regirock Rock Polish sucks and I have learned my errors. But ideally, you should have Base 70 Speed at least to have a good Rock Polish set. Just like ideally a Choice Scarf should be able to out speed Mega Lopunny, and a Minimod should be able to outsmart SteelEdges The Moderator.

Well true, Regirock Rock Polish sucks and I have learned my errors. But ideally, you should have Base 70 Speed at least to have a good Rock Polish set. Just like ideally a Choice Scarf should be able to out speed Mega Lopunny, and a Minimod should be able to outsmart SteelEdges The Moderator.
Sorry for the 1-liner, but please dont.

Physical Tyranitar

Sorry for the 1-liner, but please dont.
Understandable. Anyway, I was thinking that Mega Glalie shouldn't be C Rank, but B Rank. With high speed, a good movepool because of its very good ability, and hard-hitting power, it can KO even Pokemon that are resistant to it with STAB Refridgerate Explosion. It's bulk isn't so bad either, as 80/80/80 is solid, even with the preferred naive nature.

thesecondbest

Just Kidding I'm First
Lop deserves S... Normal has enough powerful threats already with Digg and raptor so Lop fits in well. PuP encore sub and healing wish are all great unexpected utility options.healing wish is especially good with suicide bird. EEasyaay S for me. I think it is the best mega normal has to offer.

Finally, a free moment lol. Time to do another big write up.

Articuno for A Rank (Ice)
Ice really has only 1 A Rank mon rn, which tbh I don't understand why this and Piloswine didn't make the cut in the first place. Anyways, Articuno you got a few options, it can be a reliable defogger for the team, it can be a wall, or even if you wanted a bulky tank. What's nice is that it has access to freeze dry, hurricane (bye bye fighting mons :P), defog, haze, and even heal bell. Great utility mon for ice. I have a couple samples sets to present:

Articuno @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Heal Bell/Hurricane/Haze
- Defog/Heal Bell/Haze/Toxic
- Roost

This is a special defensive utility set. Freeze Dry is to not makeyou complete taunt bait, and hurt water types super effectively, and just an overall reliable attack. Then roost to keep your HP up. You have ton of options to include, depending on what support your team needs.

Articuno @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Def / 192 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Hurricane
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Ancient Power

This is a more uncommon set. but nontheless a pretty handy want if you want a bit more offense, and a reliable special defensive tank. I won't go through everything, but Ancient Power helps with fire mons that would normally threaten ice teams, so that's always a handy tool. Next mon!

Piloswine for A Rank (Ice)
This is another cool tank Ice has to provide. What's really nice is Thich Fat, and thanks its its fantastic bulk from Eviolite, it can resist fire attacks, one of only a few mons to be able to have this. I only have 1 set for this since I don't have a ton of time, and I wanna finish this post up.

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 88 HP / 168 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Icicle Spear
- Ice Shard

This is also meant to be a special defensive tank. Thanks to eviolite, its defenses are multiplied to more usable levels. The main goal of the set is to set up SR, have a safe special defensive switch in, and do some fair damage. This is a great asset to ice teams, and it has a decent amount of usage, idk why this is B Rank tbh.

Whimsicott for A Rank (Grass)
This is suprisingly a nice, fast special attacker for grass teams. Its great because it provides much needed dragon coverage, it sits at a great speed tier, and it has prankster. With a boosting item, whimsicott is highly viable.

Whimsicott @ Life Orb / Choice Specs
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Giga Drain
- Nature Power / Psychic
- Stun Spore / Trickaroo

Shout out to Thimo for the genius idea of Nature Power! Basically, set is fairly self explanatory but nature power, since its considered a status move, actually can work as priority. It's base 80 power, so usually its enough to finish faster threats off. Stun Spore is for dangerous mons such as Char X, so they can easily be stopped. Trickaroo is nice if your running specs, as you trade items, great for stuff like Porygon2 that would make the team go through hell if not nerfed enough. Great set overall.

Ok that's all the time I got, lemmie know what you think :)

This is suprisingly a nice, fast special attacker for grass teams. Its great because it provides much needed dragon coverage, it sits at a great speed tier, and it has prankster. With a boosting item, whimsicott is highly viable.

Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Giga Drain
- Nature Power / Psychic
- Stun Spore / Trickaroo

Shout out to Thimo for the genius idea of Nature Power! Basically, set is fairly self explanatory but nature power, since its considered a status move, actually can work as priority. It's base 80 power, so usually its enough to finish faster threats off. Stun Spore is for dangerous mons such as Char X, so they can easily be stopped. Trickaroo is nice if your running specs, as you trade items, great for stuff like Porygon2 that would make the team go through hell if not nerfed enough. Great set overall.

I definitely agree with Whimsicott moving up to A rank. As you said, it's speed tier is great for grass, it provides good dragon coverage. It can also run the offensive set that you have there, or more defensive utility sets which utilise prankster, so it has plenty of options. Other decent offensive options are Shadow Ball, to help against the Psychic mons grass struggles with, and also Hurricane in certain situations. I would also consider slashing Giga Drain with one of the other options, as its power output is less than ideal and its resisted by like 7 types, the team will likely already have a heap of grass STAB, and healing would only really be necessary with Life Orb. Otherwise, great write up!

Physical Tyranitar

Finally, a free moment lol. Time to do another big write up.

Articuno for A Rank (Ice)
Ice really has only 1 A Rank mon rn, which tbh I don't understand why this and Piloswine didn't make the cut in the first place. Anyways, Articuno you got a few options, it can be a reliable defogger for the team, it can be a wall, or even if you wanted a bulky tank. What's nice is that it has access to freeze dry, hurricane (bye bye fighting mons :P), defog, haze, and even heal bell. Great utility mon for ice. I have a couple samples sets to present:

Articuno @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Heal Bell/Hurricane/Haze
- Defog/Heal Bell/Haze/Toxic
- Roost

This is a special defensive utility set. Freeze Dry is to not makeyou complete taunt bait, and hurt water types super effectively, and just an overall reliable attack. Then roost to keep your HP up. You have ton of options to include, depending on what support your team needs.

Articuno @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Def / 192 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Hurricane
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Ancient Power

This is a more uncommon set. but nontheless a pretty handy want if you want a bit more offense, and a reliable special defensive tank. I won't go through everything, but Ancient Power helps with fire mons that would normally threaten ice teams, so that's always a handy tool. Next mon!

Piloswine for A Rank (Ice)
This is another cool tank Ice has to provide. What's really nice is Thich Fat, and thanks its its fantastic bulk from Eviolite, it can resist fire attacks, one of only a few mons to be able to have this. I only have 1 set for this since I don't have a ton of time, and I wanna finish this post up.

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 88 HP / 168 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Icicle Spear
- Ice Shard

This is also meant to be a special defensive tank. Thanks to eviolite, its defenses are multiplied to more usable levels. The main goal of the set is to set up SR, have a safe special defensive switch in, and do some fair damage. This is a great asset to ice teams, and it has a decent amount of usage, idk why this is B Rank tbh.

Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Giga Drain
- Nature Power / Psychic
- Stun Spore / Trickaroo

The SubSeed Whimsicott set is S-Rank worthy, but maybe Articuno should be B-C Rank. It isn't that it is bad, but it cannot do any defensive set well because of Stealth Rock. Think about it. Switch into Rocks to try to take a Flamethrower from some decent Mon, and end up being KO'd because your HP is halved. Yes, there is Defog, but with Ice being completely ruined by hazards, you should try to keep it as resistant as possible.
On the other hand, Piloswine should be A Rank. It gets lots of bulk, plus neutrality to Fire, and neutrality to Stealth Rock, and Stealth Rock.

The SubSeed Whimsicott set is S-Rank worthy, but maybe Articuno should be B-C Rank. It isn't that it is bad, but it cannot do any defensive set well because of Stealth Rock. Think about it. Switch into Rocks to try to take a Flamethrower from some decent Mon, and end up being KO'd because your HP is halved. Yes, there is Defog, but with Ice being completely ruined by hazards, you should try to keep it as resistant as possible.
On the other hand, Piloswine should be A Rank. It gets lots of bulk, plus neutrality to Fire, and neutrality to Stealth Rock, and Stealth Rock.
All ice mons bar Pilo and Mamo have an sr weakness, so that argument is invalid. Yes it does have a 4x weakness to it, but with ice you have to be agression making sure they stay off, like switching in on their set up.

Physical Tyranitar

Yes, but it's typing is still bad nevertheless. It just adds another common weakness to Fire, Rock, Steel, while only adding a neutrality to Fighting, which Pokemon such as Avalugg can take care of. The Assault Vest set is unviable completely because of stealth rock and subpar offensive stats meaning it won't hit as hard as you would want it to, letting it get quickly worn down. Articuno doesn't have the sufficient offensive stats, typing, and movepool to run an Assault Vest Set well as it cannot deal much damage back, and it's decent support capabilites are hindered by the Assault Vest.

And if you plan to use Piloswine as a lead, it should be B Rank. Mamoswine is a better lead than Piloswine and hits harder and faster, and gets Stealth Rock quicker. Ice has lots of tanks already so Piloswine has a lot of competition for other Ice Type Tanks such as Avalugg, Walrein, and others.

Pilo provides so much bulk for ice. And maybe people wanna run mamo full offemse or choiced compared to wasting a slot for sr. As for articuno, there's this thing, and it's called Avalugg. Your basically saying as well diggersby is unviable on Normal bc it doesn't help with fighting weaknesd, which is stupid. Both of them are definately a rank.

Physical Tyranitar

The reason Articuno isn't viable is because of it's weaknesses. Diggersby doesn't have a 4x weakness, does it. Articuno is borderline useless with Assault Vest because of its typing and lack of offensive stats. Your argument about "bulk" is invalid because like you said, you choose to use ice Monotype along with the cons. Ice has lots of weaknesses, so "Bulk" wouldn't be the first thing to come to mind. A STAB Close Combat from Terrakion, a Fire Blast from Mega Charizard Y, a +2 Leaf Storm from Serperior are going to rip right through this "bulk" you have.

And Avalugg? You have a good point, but it is very predictable. Avalugg is most likely going to die to any special attack, so once it's gone, Articuno is useless. Articuno cannot deal much damage with a pitiful Base 90 Special Attack. A LO set MAY be viable, but with Assault Vest, now it's going to die AND it cannot run support.

Like you mentioned, when you use Monotype Ice, you have to learn the consequences. And the "consequences" are that Piloswine is an inferior version of Mamoswine, as it's "bulk" won't mean much when presented with true threats, and Articuno is too reliant on Avalugg, whom will not last long if hit with a super-effective special attack. What then? Will you send out AV Articuno at Half Health, thinking it will do much? That it will not move on to be hit and knocked out on the next turn? Articuno is not good as support and is not good as an Assault Vest, and Piloswine's bulk ultimately doesn't make much of a difference. Both are PU for a reason. Yes, Monotype Pokemon are tiered than regular, but if it's PU, it's weak. End of story. If it had a niche, then it wouldn't be PU. In fact, the very concept of you trying to get two PU Pokemon to ranks that are more exclusive than you could possibly convey is very sickening.

The reason Articuno isn't viable is because of it's weaknesses. Diggersby doesn't have a 4x weakness, does it. Articuno is borderline useless with Assault Vest because of its typing and lack of offensive stats. Your argument about "bulk" is invalid because like you said, you choose to use ice Monotype along with the cons. Ice has lots of weaknesses, so "Bulk" wouldn't be the first thing to come to mind. A STAB Close Combat from Terrakion, a Fire Blast from Mega Charizard Y, a +2 Leaf Storm from Serperior are going to rip right through this "bulk" you have.

And Avalugg? You have a good point, but it is very predictable. Avalugg is most likely going to die to any special attack, so once it's gone, Articuno is useless. Articuno cannot deal much damage with a pitiful Base 90 Special Attack. A LO set MAY be viable, but with Assault Vest, now it's going to die AND it cannot run support.

Like you mentioned, when you use Monotype Ice, you have to learn the consequences. And the "consequences" are that Piloswine is an inferior version of Mamoswine, as it's "bulk" won't mean much when presented with true threats, and Articuno is too reliant on Avalugg, whom will not last long if hit with a super-effective special attack. What then? Will you send out AV Articuno at Half Health, thinking it will do much? That it will not move on to be hit and knocked out on the next turn? Articuno is not good as support and is not good as an Assault Vest, and Piloswine's bulk ultimately doesn't make much of a difference. Both are PU for a reason. Yes, Monotype Pokemon are tiered than regular, but if it's PU, it's weak. End of story. If it had a niche, then it wouldn't be PU. In fact, the very concept of you trying to get two PU Pokemon to ranks that are more exclusive than you could possibly convey is very sickening.
Well ant agreed on both being a rank, so :x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)