Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
It's really weird that we have to wait this long this time.
It's unusual.
It usually takes one year to announce one game.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
What I think is unusual isn't the time window, but the fact that they've announced new Zygarde formes, and a new Anime series, yet wait for so long to tie them to any game. It's plausible that they want to wait a little with the next game, but I find it strange that they bother to reveal content before actually announcing anything.

As for why it takes so long with these games, I suspect it has something to do with the next handheld Nintendo console. We're currently seeing the end of the 3DS' life span, yet the next one is still a fair bit away. Likewise, we're nearing the end of Gen VI, which likely has only one more game (or game pair) left after ORAS. If the next Pokémon game was released now, it would be a long wait for the next games to appear on the new console - but not long enough to have time for a second generation of Pokémon on the 3DS. If Gen VII was to happen on the 3DS, after Z rounds off Gen VI, the second game pair of Gen VII would probably be released after the new console (and yes, there would be several sets of games. When they go to the lengths of making new Pokémon and a new region, they would want to use them for what they're worth before moving on to something new).

Instead, it appears that Game Freak will wait out the 3DS' lifespan, drawing out the duration of Gen VI until the new console is released. That leaves a seemingly unnaturally long time for the last Gen VI game, but it could mean that Gen VII would be ready not long after the new console is released. It doesn't take that long to create a follow-up game to a region they've already made, so they're probably well into working on Gen VII already.

I kind of think they're just waiting on the reveal because this is going to come out on the year of Pokémon's 20th Anniversary. So that could mean that in the announcement of the game itself there's going to be something a little... let's say special about it than just the round-up of Gen 6. Maybe just speculation but it'd seem to make sense; get out the Zygarde forms before they're overshadowed by nostalgia overload.

When they reveal the game it's typically like a half year or so before it actually comes out. They will probably release it in time for the 20th anniversary so they probably are holding back the details to fit in with that schedule or something.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I wonder if GAME FREAK will ever release a Pokemon games bundle? Like a one cartridge multiple game anthology similar to the recent Kirby anniversary collection thing? That could be pretty cool

altho this is probably too much speculation/wishlisting, so I'll stop while im ahead lol

Codraroll

Cod Mod
Of course, there's also the fact that the next game is very probably going to be based on X and Y, with a few new locations and a few changes to existing locations. Probably a few new Megas too. But all in all, it's not much to show prior to release. The only thing they could tease us with would be the new Megas or Formes, and maybe a location picture or two, but for the most part it's going to be old news. They can't give away that much before the game releases without giving away, well, too much. So it would make sense that the period between announcement and release would be rather short, given that they have limited promotional material to play on.

Of course, there's also the fact that the next game is very probably going to be based on X and Y, with a few new locations and a few changes to existing locations. Probably a few new Megas too. But all in all, it's not much to show prior to release. The only thing they could tease us with would be the new Megas or Formes, and maybe a location picture or two, but for the most part it's going to be old news. They can't give away that much before the game releases without giving away, well, too much. So it would make sense that the period between announcement and release would be rather short, given that they have limited promotional material to play on.
Yeah I agree. There really isn't much for them to showcase that would be new tbh.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Hmm, I'm wondering if they haven't made an announcement simply because they aren't quite done with what they want to advertise. If I was GF I would be working a lot more on story since that was a big complaint about XY (and considering what they're doing with Zygarde that could be the case) so they would want to advertise the deeper story this time around (plus other added features). So they might be working on the story elements and how to present it (plus other added features).

Thanks to the fact that we're all expecting a "Pokemon Z", I'm gonna roll all over the floor in laughter as the forums blow up with "Oh my god, they solved this in the Delta Episode, why do we need an ENTIRE game dedicated to Rayquqaza now??!", should that happen. But all I'm saying about the game dev trademarking "XY&Z" is that it makes it easier to go in any direction with a game title using the end of the alphabet, so it's just as likely to be the title of the next game as much as it's likely to be something similar to "XY&Z".

Also, please explain the Tragedy of Codraroll?
I'll be rolling on the floor laughing with you! Of course, I doubt that will happen. If they release another Hoenn game this generation, mark my words, I'll breed a team of NUs for the playthrough (though if there is another Kalos game released at the same time, I'll get that instead, and play with a team of Hoenn and Kalos NUs.

NUs are my least favorite category BTW, so I really doubt this is going to be the case.

Oh, and if you're able to go to Hoenn in the post game, that doesn't...doesn't count.

Funny how Salemance likes that post because his profile says that he lost a bet too with his username.
Even funnier is that he misspelled the name on purpose to piss off a specific grammar Nazi!!!! XD

And I'm hoping when they do distribute shiny Zygarde, we get to name them for once. What?! I want to nickname Yvetal Bacon Bird, and Zygarde Abomasnow (the coloration for the latter two are strikingly identical!)!

And on a final note, I don't mind the wait too much. I'm kept plenty busy with Alpha Sapphire, Shuffle, and Rumble World, and don't forget Mystery Dungeon is right around the corner. As far as I'm concerned, when news comes out, it comes out.

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hmm, I'm wondering if they haven't made an announcement simply because they aren't quite done with what they want to advertise. If I was GF I would be working a lot more on story since that was a big complaint about XY (and considering what they're doing with Zygarde that could be the case) so they would want to advertise the deeper story this time around (plus other added features). So they might be working on the story elements and how to present it (plus other added features).
I'm pretty sure if a game is ready, then the story aspect has already been done for a couple months (at least) and everything marketing-related has already been planned out since the game is at-or-near completion. They're just holding off for whatever reason.

The exact anniversary date is Feburary 27, and TPCi said awhile back that there is going to be a game release early next year. I think we'll get a big announcement of some kind by November.
To add to this, Nintendo has a financial results call on the 28th of this month.

ORAS were announced just after a results call, and they're going to need something that could move hardware. Ergo, new Pokemon. Five months for a 3rd version sounds about right.

Likely a dumb question, but why would Nintendo want to make a big announcement right after a financial results call? Sounds like the kind of thing they'd want to do right before one.

Hmm, I guess Zygarde was so forgettable in XY that I forgot we battled it at all. Maybe the case is that in 50% form, there are inner layers of cells that act as reinforcement, preventing it from falling apart. In 10%, on the other hand, there's only one layer of cells (more would weigh it down), so they're not as stable.

I suppose the only way to know for sure is wait until we get more intel. :P
You know it's room in Terminus? I was always weirded out that there was four corners, each with a legendary modding item (griseous, lustrous, adamant orbs) except one corner, in which there was a big nugget. My mind went to conspiracies and mysteries and that there was going to be a hidden legendary based on wealth, maybe made from precious minerals and a big nugget (other than profit) would amp its power. Especially with the tipping in game when everyone thought it did nothing, maybe you reach a certain tipped amount and "ths legendary mon" reveals itself, congratulating you on your shared wealth? LOL

They must have another new shocker trend-breaking announcement about the sequel to not reveal the game title(s) at the same time as the new anime arc. What that shocker actually is, though...
It starts in region to east of Kalos, with the game having two regions, other half of this gen's new Pokemon, new megas, Battle Frontier + PWT, extra post-game gyms (because of two regions), and is a direct sequel to XY.

^Is my hope. It has to be more than BW2, right? Third versions have been growing and growing every gen... New mon plus more region is the next logical step. It's not like the hope is unfounded.

Awww...catching up on topic and hearing about news coming Monday, then hope crushed as it's revealed as event giveaways. CURSE YOU, GF!!

I wonder if GAME FREAK will ever release a Pokemon games bundle? Like a one cartridge multiple game anthology similar to the recent Kirby anniversary collection thing? That could be pretty cool

altho this is probably too much speculation/wishlisting, so I'll stop while im ahead lol
I always thought they should release a universal Trainer Card app for 3DS, and release all the older games on VC. Basically the TC app tracked all our stats across all the games, with a memento box containg all 48 gym badges, plus E4 win pins etc.

MOD EDIT: Do not double post. Don't triple post either. Use the Edit button.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JES

Codraroll

Cod Mod
No way. As Karxrida said, this game has been in the making for a long, long time, and writing a story doesn't take that long. ORAS was ready within a year of XY's release, and that involved modelling an entire new region, with lots of entirely new locations, new script and a new story. Z will likely be 80 % rehashed material from XY, like the third version games before it. I'm quite sure Game Freak have planned out the entirety of Gen VII already, with the practical work being underway as we type.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Master X, you may want to edit your last post instead of posting 3 in a row.

EDIT: Nevermind, Mod took care of it.

You know it's room in Terminus? I was always weirded out that there was four corners, each with a legendary modding item (griseous, lustrous, adamant orbs) except one corner, in which there was a big nugget. My mind went to conspiracies and mysteries and that there was going to be a hidden legendary based on wealth, maybe made from precious minerals and a big nugget (other than profit) would amp its power. Especially with the tipping in game when everyone thought it did nothing, maybe you reach a certain tipped amount and "ths legendary mon" reveals itself, congratulating you on your shared wealth? LOL
I have a feeling that maybe originally the Soul Dew was suppose to be placed there but they decided not to either because they think it's too broken to be normally obtainable or by that point ORAS was being planned so they decided they'll release it as an Event item. With nothing else to really put there they just put on of the valuable items you can see for money (I'd personally would have moved the Draco Plate there but whatever...).

It starts in region to east of Kalos, with the game having two regions, other half of this gen's new Pokemon, new megas, Battle Frontier + PWT, extra post-game gyms (because of two regions), and is a direct sequel to XY.

^Is my hope. It has to be more than BW2, right? Third versions have been growing and growing every gen... New mon plus more region is the next logical step. It's not like the hope is unfounded.
Considering the backlash they got for not including the Gen III Battle Frontier I do wonder if they're going to do one in XY2/Z. I mean the third versions always have had an additional post game battling location though BW2 was the Pokemon World Tournament and White Treehollow/Black Tower so it's not always a Battle Frontier. Of course I'm wondering if they did the PWT as the last hooray for the 2D sprite era (then again you'd think they would have included the Elite Four and maybe the Frontier Brains if that was so). Question is if they do a Battle Frontier would they decide to do new ideas or, due to the backlash, copy & paste the Gen III Battle Frontier (which, while neat if they do (and made sense why), I feel they missed their chance and should do a completely new Frontier with new challenges). Also what will happen to the Battle Maison? Will it replace the Battle Tower or be kept its own thing?

I always thought they should release a universal Trainer Card app for 3DS, and release all the older games on VC. Basically the TC app tracked all our stats across all the games, with a memento box containg all 48 gym badges, plus E4 win pins etc.
It would be neat if the threw together a "Two Decade of Pokemon" bundle that contains:

1. A combined version of Red & Blue (Purple version with Mewtwo on the front cover?) with an option to have the the original Red & Green sprites and also a "Yellow Story" mode.
2. Crystal
3. Emerald & combined version of FireRed & LeafGreen (maybe use that WaterBlue name?)
4. Platinum & combined version of HeartGold & SoulSilver (SpiritCrystal?)
5. They'd pretty much have to include Black, White, Black 2, and White 2, wouldn't they? Like they can shrink it to two games and just have a Grey version with "White Story" or "Black Story" and a Grey 2 with a "Black 2 Story" or "White 2 Story".

However if they didn't do that for the Decade celebration I don't think they would do that for the two decade celebration. For all we know maybe they are waiting for the celebration to announce XY2/Z.

No way. As Karxrida said, this game has been in the making for a long, long time, and writing a story doesn't take that long. ORAS was ready within a year of XY's release, and that involved modelling an entire new region, with lots of entirely new locations, new script and a new story. Z will likely be 80 % rehashed material from XY, like the third version games before it. I'm quite sure Game Freak have planned out the entirety of Gen VII already, with the practical work being underway as we type.
Just spitballing ideas.

Actually, if I'm to be honest, I kind of like this small break. Yeah, I like they hadn't released a new Pokemon main series as it at least makes it feel like they're taking their time and working hard on the game instead of just doing the bare minimum and shipping it out asap. Also absence makes the heart grow fonder, even if you've played your X, Y, OR, AS everyday when they finally announce and release the new game it may feel a bit refreshing as there will be new stuff after a longer than usual absence. Also helps save on the money.

Reactions: JES

Karxrida

Soul Dew was not in the cave because it is not directly obtainable in any first versions bar Ruby and Sapphire. I'm pretty sure its status as overpowered meant squat to them since they ban it anyway.

I believe the reason they've never re-released the original games on the Virtual Console or a compilation is due to how the multiplayer aspect of the franchise is too deeply ingrained to have to axe/ignore. I don't claim to be an emulation expert, but the old game data probably can't be transferred wirelessly to replicate the Link Cable trades, thus making the games impossible to 100% while cutting out Trade Evolutions and PVP. This would make the experience incomplete, and TPCi probably wants to avoid any possible backlash from altering anything to accomodate the lack of trades, or being seen as "cheating" people out of the complete deal from leaving the games untouched.

The only winning move for them here is not to play. It's the sad (possible) truth.

If I'm wrong about the trade thing, please call me out on it.

Last edited:
If I'm wrong about the trade thing, please call me out on it.
It's only about one degree off-topic, but it's a fun rabbit hole.
If you wanted to make a true 100% port of RBGY (on a visual level), there do exist cable peripherals that could be used when trading between smartphones to cut out wireless interaction. As for VirtualConsole, the only hardware interactive feature still present from the GB era is the IR sensor...

EDIT- ok, so Bulbapedia did confirm that the OT for the legendary downloads will be XY&Z. Not that it was the best possible use for the trademark, but they may have other promotional downloads to tie into the anime...which means there may be a shiny Yveltal in the anime...-drool-

Last edited:
So we've got to figure that this Z version, if it goes like third versions past, has to have both Xerneas and Yveltal capturable in some way. I'm still wondering if the newly expanded plot is going to in some way involve the two fighting and Zygarde has to calm them down, a la Emerald. And then what happens with the Ultimate Weapon (since each game's cover legend powered it)?

So we've got to figure that this Z version, if it goes like third versions past, has to have both Xerneas and Yveltal capturable in some way. I'm still wondering if the newly expanded plot is going to in some way involve the two fighting and Zygarde has to calm them down, a la Emerald. And then what happens with the Ultimate Weapon (since each game's cover legend powered it)?
I think a start is, what new did we get with Yellow? More story and more access to starters. Z will at least include more story and more starters (option to get all three, and extra Kalos starter megas).

What did Crystal add other than Yellow type stuff? Access to special event mon with story. Z will at least grant access to Volcanion, likely give another chance at Hoopa/Diancie...with mini stories to go with them.

Emerald other than previous added stuff? Bigger story, access to all three main legends and post game BF. Z's story will incorporate all three main legendaries with ability to capture Xerneas/Yveltal/Zygarde, all three will likely have alt versions, not just Zygarde. There will likely be post-game BF. Especially with ORAS hints.

Platinum other than previous added stuff? Alt forms, new areas based on known stuff, more story. For Z we'll get expanded versions of already used areas, Terminus cave clearly being one, Geohenge (sp?) likely another. There's even a town where a path starts heading down but cuts off...to nothing, as if there should be an exit. LOTS of expanded areas.

BW2 other than previous added stuff? Direct sequel story-wise, completely new areas. There will 100% be totally new areas in Z. And I'd say guaranteed to be a direct sequel, or at least the story continues/expands past where XY left off.

And that's based on minimum additions. If we go by the fact additions increase each gen, additions are expanded on, we may be looking at new Pokemon since there was so few last game, and even a new region plus Kalos given all the hints. At the least new megas are a certainty. Count in the fact they're taking longer to make it than usual. Signs point to this game having lots of new content, and essentially being gen 6.5. Unless GF just decide to say screw it and be lazy (it's possible!)

Karxrida

We are not getting completely new Pokemon. I have no idea where peole got this stupid 6.5 idea but it needs to be dropped, because it isn't happening. We're getting completely new Pokemon in-game next Gen, which isn't going to be happening for at least 2 years.

We are not getting completely new Pokemon. I have no idea where peole got this stupid 6.5 idea but it needs to be dropped, because it isn't happening. We're getting completely new Pokemon in-game next Gen, which isn't going to be happening for at least 2 years.
Maybe, maybe not. You can't hundred percent say either way. Given the few we actually got, the general increase in extras each third version, the extra amount of time they're taking...it's certainly not inconcievable. Just wish they'd hurry up and show something of it, though. So frustrating.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Well this was the most anti-climactic release of Corocoro ever... Bacon Bird and greyscale Xerneas... Wooo?

@ The above few posts, borderline making shit up there Master X. We have no idea where GF is going to go with Z. IMO it'll be more like Emerald mixed with Crystal with the addition of the "other" Legendary to the story.

Either way, not a lot to discuss here so I'll probably lock this up at the weekend again until next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)