Worst Pokemon Sprites?

The anime did nothing. The original Ken Sugimori art (made during the creation of Red and Green) show all 151 Pokémon looking like you think they would (baring some minor things like Pikachu being chubbier).
I guess they just wanted to try something new, because I have no logical answer to them making sprites for this;
golem-rg.png

things like these:

golem.png
(Red&Green)
golem (1).png
(Red&Blue)
golem (4).png
(The savior of many, Yellow. Even though they just recoloured this
golem (3).png
.)

Also, does anyone realise that Golem originally had longer arms connected to the rocks instead of jutting out of them? I guess the rocks were meant to be its body.

"Its boulder-like body is extremely hard. It can easily withstand dynamite blasts without damage." -Pokémon Red&Blue Pokédex entry.

"Once it sheds its skin, its body turns tender and whitish. Its hide hardens when it's exposed to air." -Pokémon Yellow

Last edited:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Also, does anyone realise that Golem originally had longer arms connected to the rocks instead of jutting out of them? I guess the rocks were meant to be its body.
The problem with Golem's design is that it's made for 2D art. Its arms, legs and head have always been placed - and sized - to suit the perspective and pose of the sprite/artwork in question. Had you seen Golem in any of those poses, but from a different angle, it would have looked ridiculous. As a result, Golem is one of the least photogenic Pokémon in the 3D games, because its limbs have to adhere to a fixed size and placement. You can see traces of the same problem with Blastoise.

I've been trying to look for these for a while, but I just can't find them anywhere. I'm talking about the Pokemon icons in Pokemon Stadium. You know, the small icons in the corner while you're in battle. Well these all look freaking horrendous and funny at the same time. Wish I could find them somewhere.

I've been trying to look for these for a while, but I just can't find them anywhere. I'm talking about the Pokemon icons in Pokemon Stadium. You know, the small icons in the corner while you're in battle. Well these all look freaking horrendous and funny at the same time. Wish I could find them somewhere.
Some of the Shiny icons in Colosseum and XD are pretty atrocious as well. For example, Shiny Slowbro looks like a fucking zombie.

BRAAAAIIIIINS.

Sorry for the all-caps on that sentence, I really couldn't resist with the spirit of the season and that zombie face.

Some of the Shiny icons in Colosseum and XD are pretty atrocious as well. For example, Shiny Slowbro looks like a fucking zombie.

BRAAAAIIIIINS.

Sorry for the all-caps on that sentence, I really couldn't resist with the spirit of the season and that zombie face.
Is that a shiny Slowbro? Looks more like a confused Ekans..

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!

BRAAAAIIIIINS.

Looks like a shiny slowbro to me... a scary one.

Cresselia~~

It is a Shiny Slowbro, those yellow eyes and green snout just make it look all zombie-esque to me.
Ya, I really wonder why the eyes are yellow.

Actually, where can we find shiny sprite of Pokemon Stadium?
Bulbapedia doesn't seem to have them.

Last edited:
I can't see the image but let's go on with the zombies, shall we?
Spr_1b_046.png
Just looking at this sprite is painful. Also, why did they switch the shiny and the and the regular colours of Paras?
Gold & Crystal:
Spr_2g_046.png
shiny-->
Spr_2g_046_s.png
RSE:
Spr_3r_046.png
shiny-->
Spr_3r_046_s.png
FRLG:
Spr_3f_046.png
shiny-->
Spr_3f_046_s.png
(this one was burnt to a crisp) DPPt:
Spr_4d_046.png
shiny-->
Spr_4d_046_s.png

I can't see the image but let's go on with the zombies, shall we?
View attachment 52000Just looking at this sprite is painful. Also, why did they switch the shiny and the and the regular colours of Paras?
Gold & Crystal:View attachment 52001 shiny-->View attachment 52002 RSE: View attachment 52003shiny--> View attachment 52004 FRLG:View attachment 52005 shiny-->View attachment 52006(this one was burnt to a crisp) DPPt: View attachment 52007 shiny-->View attachment 52008
Dang that first one is indeed painful. I don't know which one is worse.. that one or this one:

I've never liked Shinx's design, but these sprites only make it worse. The paws are stumped, the ears are too big for its head, it has a goofy expression on its face, a small quiff-like thing on its head that reminds me of 8 year old kids that think they're cool, and it has a star on its tail...
Not only is it cliché, it is also just plain ugly.

However, for some unknown reason, it gained a fan following. The creators apparently liked it too, because instead of tweaking the design a little or going for a different pose, they used the second sprite again in BW, and BW2.

But in the end, I guess I just don't like its design. At all.
Ah, and Luxio faces the same problems.

It's a lost cause...

----

Another design I just cannot get into is Mismagius. How does it work? Is that a hat? How does it remain upright? The hat is part of the Pokemon, right? So is the Pokemon an object? Or not? What is the border of the hat doing? And what are those spikes sticking out? Why are they sticking out? Why is the top part of the hat coloured in lighter purple? Is it closer by? Isn't it further away?? What is its mouth doing??! WHy is it RED?!! Can it even eat through that mouth? Are the lips just red or ... is it stitching?.. ?? Is the mouth just red in general? What is even going on in this sprite!??!!?????!!

Eyebrows???!

I don't feel comfortable with the shading here... Ô-ô"

----

But t-t-t-the tongue ÔДo!!

----

I like Swampert a lot. But I'm afraid that... it's just not that photogenetic pixelgenetic...

----

Balls.

Still balls?

Breasts?

BREASTS.

Cresselia~~

I've never liked Shinx's design, but these sprites only make it worse. The paws are stumped, the ears are too big for its head, it has a goofy expression on its face, a small quiff-like thing on its head that reminds me of 8 year old kids that think they're cool, and it has a star on its tail...
Not only is it cliché, it is also just plain ugly.

However, for some unknown reason, it gained a fan following. The creators apparently liked it too, because instead of tweaking the design a little or going for a different pose, they used the second sprite again in BW, and BW2.

But in the end, I guess I just don't like its design. At all.
Ah, and Luxio faces the same problems.

It's a lost cause...

----

Another design I just cannot get into is Mismagius. How does it work? Is that a hat? How does it remain upright? The hat is part of the Pokemon, right? So is the Pokemon an object? Or not? What is the border of the hat doing? And what are those spikes sticking out? Why are they sticking out? Why is the top part of the hat coloured in lighter purple? Is it closer by? Isn't it further away?? What is its mouth doing??! WHy is it RED?!! Can it even eat through that mouth? Are the lips just red or ... is it stitching?.. ?? Is the mouth just red in general? What is even going on in this sprite!??!!?????!!

Eyebrows???!

----

But t-t-t-the tongue ÔДo!!

----

I like Swampert a lot. But I'm afraid that... it's just not that photogenetic pixelgenetic...

----

Balls.

Still balls?

Breasts?

BREASTS.
Wow, I totally didn't know Castform's stuff were constantly growing. Game Freak loves breast expansion?
What is seen cannot be unseen...
The second shinx sprite looks like the ears are peeling off.

Eyebrows???!

Here, let me help you with that:

I already used this joke in the mysteries forum but it's so nice I did it twice.

I won't pick on Magmar, because I feel all the bad sprites come from a butt-ugly design rather than sprites (No literally, it's face is a butt). And even then, HGSS managed to make him... decent.

...decent-ish.

So let's pick on Magmortar. Unlike Magmar, Magmortar can have a cool spirte (again from HGSS):

so why can't they ever get it right?

Did you lose your tail?

Oh god those lips...

OH GOD THOSE LIPS!

A lot of people complain that Gen4 just introduced WAY too many over-complicated designs. Sometimes it worked (Dialga, Lucario, Electivire, Garchomp, and some others) but when it failed it failed hardcore.

Here, let me help you with that:
ohgod please no
why is it--- why th--
mustache?

Ughh.

Ah, Magmar and Magmortar... Actually, I don't dislike their design. It's not that I like it, but I'm sort of neutral about it. They can make it work.

Hmm, but now that I'm paying more attention to it, I actually think the amount of butts on Magmar's head have decreased exponentially as it evolves further.

2 butts → 1 butt → ½ butt
in which 1 butt equals 2 buttocks.

2 butts → 1 butt → ½ butt
in which 1 butt equals 2 buttocks.
I wouldn't call the lump on Magmortar's forehead a ½ butt. Yes it is spherical but I can't see any resemblance. I mean, just because its head resembles a torpedo doesn't mean the sperm whale has a dick for a face.

I wouldn't call the lump on Magmortar's forehead a ½ butt. Yes it is spherical but I can't see any resemblance. I mean, just because its head resembles a torpedo doesn't mean the sperm whale has a dick for a face.
Yes, yes. Good point. Though if we consider the evolution of one species, I can conclude that Magmortar's face is in fact, ½ butt (one buttocks, if you will). There is no mistake in it. I agree with you on the Sperm Whale. A lot of things resemble torpedoes, but there is no evidence of any actual similarity between the Sperm Whale and a penis. There is more to a penis than its length, there is also shape. If you consider the shape of the Sperm Whale, and compare it to that of an actual penis, there are a lot of differences to be found. Moreover, if you compare a Sperm Whale calf to a penis, you will not be able find any more similarities to a phallus than you would in the adult. Therefore we can conclude that the Sperm Whale does not resemble a penis. However, we know for a fact that Magmortar and Magmar are one and the same species. Magmar's forehead is a butt, this is a fact. Therefore we can conclude that Magmortar's forehead must be (part of) a butt as well. Once a butt, always a butt.

Edit: On second thought, I'm not sure about whether the Magmar-line have butts or boobs as forehead. I have come accros its Japanese name, which has led me to believe there is more to this Pokemon than previously anticipated...

Magmar (Japanese: ブーバー Boober)
Magmortar (Japanese: ブーバーン Booburn)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)