Worst Pokemon Sprites?

ohgod please no
why is it--- why th--
mustache?

Ughh.

Ah, Magmar and Magmortar... Actually, I don't dislike their design. It's not that I like it, but I'm sort of neutral about it. They can make it work.

Hmm, but now that I'm paying more attention to it, I actually think the amount of butts on Magmar's head have decreased exponentially as it evolves further.

2 butts → 1 butt → ½ butt
in which 1 butt equals 2 buttocks.
I wouldn't call the lump on Magmortar's forehead a ½ butt. Yes it is spherical but I can't see any resemblance. I mean, just because its head resembles a torpedo doesn't mean the sperm whale has a dick for a face.
Yes, yes. Good point. Though if we consider the evolution of one species, I can conclude that Magmortar's face is in fact, ½ butt (one buttocks, if you will). There is no mistake in it. I agree with you on the Sperm Whale. A lot of things resemble torpedoes, but there is no evidence of any actual similarity between the Sperm Whale and a penis. There is more to a penis than its length, there is also shape. If you consider the shape of the Sperm Whale, and compare it to that of an actual penis, there are a lot of differences to be found. Moreover, if you compare a Sperm Whale calf to a penis, you will not be able find any more similarities to a phallus than you would in the adult. Therefore we can conclude that the Sperm Whale does not resemble a penis. However, we know for a fact that Magmortar and Magmar are one and the same species. Magmar's forehead is a butt, this is a fact. Therefore we can conclude that Magmortar's forehead must be (part of) a butt as well. Once a butt, always a butt.
This entire discussion reminds me of a sentence of Game Informer when talking about the then upcoming Plants Vs Zombies Garden Warfare, about the engineer's butt crack. They had to measure it for perfect crackiness.

Edit: On second thought, I'm not sure about whether the Magmar-line have butts or boobs as forehead. I have come accros its Japanese name, which has led me to believe there is more to this Pokemon than previously anticipated...

Magmar (Japanese: ブーバー Boober)
Magmortar (Japanese: ブーバーン Booburn)
They're probably taken after the Booby, a shore-bird with a rather unfortunate name (and blue feet!)

But then again...

The problem with Golem's design is that it's made for 2D art. Its arms, legs and head have always been placed - and sized - to suit the perspective and pose of the sprite/artwork in question. Had you seen Golem in any of those poses, but from a different angle, it would have looked ridiculous. As a result, Golem is one of the least photogenic Pokémon in the 3D games, because its limbs have to adhere to a fixed size and placement. You can see traces of the same problem with Blastoise.
Vileplume, too. I've said this before, but most of Vileplume's sprites only made sense if there was some sort of stalk between the top of its head and the bottom of its flower.

Another design I just cannot get into is Mismagius. How does it work? Is that a hat? How does it remain upright? The hat is part of the Pokemon, right? So is the Pokemon an object? Or not? What is the border of the hat doing? And what are those spikes sticking out? Why are they sticking out? Why is the top part of the hat coloured in lighter purple? Is it closer by? Isn't it further away?? What is its mouth doing??! WHy is it RED?!! Can it even eat through that mouth? Are the lips just red or ... is it stitching?.. ?? Is the mouth just red in general? What is even going on in this sprite!??!!?????!!
I've never understood what the deal with Mismagius' goofy long neck was, either.

When you think of balls, Electrode comes to mind.

View attachment 52130 View attachment 52131 to View attachment 52132. E for effort Game Freak.
I always wonder about what could have been going through the creators' minds when I look at Voltorb and Electrode.

"We need something to trick players into thinking they are picking up an item! What do we do?"
"We should create a Pokémon that looks just like the Pokéball!"

"Yes! This is great! They will be exploding in frustration! But... how do we figure out an evolution for something like this? Does anyone have ideas?"
"..."
"We could make a... bigger... ball?"
"..."
"Or we could... flip the colours around?"

"Perfect! Mr. Sugimori will be proud!"

I've never understood what the deal with Mismagius' goofy long neck was, either.
I don't really think its neck length is the problem here. Looks more like it has actually swallowed the Dusk Stone necessary to evolve it :s

Last edited:

Looks like this Weedle needs an Antidote :/

This Aerodactyl looks like a weird baby that's out of proportion. Well, I guess it's always better than this grinning ogre:

Geodude, wtf?

Same goes for you, Shucks -.-

Chansey looks.. rather unusual when her egg is not in her pouch o.o

Looks like this Weedle needs an Antidote :/

This Aerodactyl looks like a weird baby that's out of proportion. Well, I guess it's always better than this grinning ogre:

Geodude, wtf?

Same goes for you, Shucks -.-

Chansey looks.. rather unusual when her egg is not in her pouch o.o
where did you even find these ones???

So... where is your other arm?

Seriously, you only have a hand there.

Good thing they fixed it. :D

But we should probably get Latios's broken wrist a look at.
It's been shown repeatedly the Eon twins can fold their arms against their bodies, both in game and in other media. So other than your Latios comment, there... is nothing wrong with Latias except for posing in the first sprite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)