Smogon Premier League: Doubles discussion

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
rip quiznos

rooting for TFC in that matchup but I don't really know where either player is in terms of skill so it could go either way

I mean, yes, miss sucked, but then again, whos to blame when an inaccurate move like Hydro misses? It's no secret Rotom misses all it's moves so if you can't deal with it simply don't use it in important matches. Nothing personal - I just feel like you can't cry over a miss from a move you perfectly know won't hit a lot of times.
I also don't think Hydro was the best move this turn to begin with. Kyle had no reason to risk any of his mons in the back while Weaville was useless at that point, so TBolt was kinda safe there - even Willo would've been ok in both cases, the stayin and the unlikely switchout (you have enough ways to deal with Heatran in case he switches it in for whatever reason) and it's more accurate - so I don't think it's appropriate to blame everything on the miss and not even think about what you could've done better. Again, nothing personal, just something to think about.

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor
I think it's an important lesson to not blame everything on hax, but I also think telling Arcticblast off like this is kind of overreacting. During the match and after that match, Arctic basically didn't say a word, was civil and courteous and showed good sportsmanship. I'm pretty sure this is the first of any kind of "saltiness" that has come out, and, in truth, it was to someone being an absolute fucking asshole.

I can think of a whole plethora of other players who are way less civil, in seasonals/open alike, in Doubles, and Arctic's behavior hasn't suggested to me that he blamed the loss on the miss at all.

Also Will-O-Miss has 85% accuracy :/ It's easy to say "shoulda tbolted/wisp'ed" but heatran switch on the bpunch+tbolt was definitely a possibility. bpunch+hydro was essentially the only option that covered almost all contingencies, not risking a Weavile Protect or potential free switches

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
is this a record for fastest salt-related semi-drama ._.

Last edited:
just use n1n1 logic
scald>hydro because both have a 50% chance to either do something or be bad (30 is about 50 and 80 is about 50)

I never told Arctic off or even tried so (and I'm pretty sure I made this clear in my post), I only reacted to what he posted in the SPL - thread as well as here and that's nothing but 'miss cost me the game' - which is true but could've been prevented. I never tried to attack Arctic in any way and I think he knows that.
Yes, Willo has 85% acc, which isn't much either, but still more than Hydro. The Heatran switchin would've been ok as he has enough ways to deal with it.

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Woooo week 2!

[BIGS] Laga vs Braverius [WOLF]
[TGRS] qsns vs Arcticblast [CONG]
[SHRK] TheFourthChaser vs BLOOD TOTEM [RAID]
[CRYO] Lohgock vs KyleCole [FLCN]
[SCTR] Biosci vs checkmater [RUIN]

How will Lohgock fare in DOU after having a couple rounds of seasonal to help transition from VGC? Will qsns prove that he can avoid getting haxed out of a win if he's playing his home tier? Will checkmater recover from letting Braverius set up Azumarill turn 1? Will Laga find a better internet connection?

Looks like a lot of good matches to me, what are your thoughts?

Laga vs Braverius - who are these ppl
qsns vs Arcticblast - q s n s
TheFourthChaser vs BLOOD TOTEM - i say rei is good but ive seen him win like one game, i just need pidgeot to win
Lohgock vs KyleCole - kyle's really a great player and so is lohgock (rumor has it), but idk i feel like kyle practices more and plays more
Biosci vs checkmater - who tf is biosci

edit: this makes me want to get on irc more bc i dont recognize like 3 of these names

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I was 2 for 5 last week so fuck me silly

Laga vs Braverius - This game feels like it's going to get really ugly to me. Zach's gonna luck Laga out here.
qsns vs Arcticblast - Easily the closest match of the week, I like qsns to take this one.
TheFourthChaser vs BLOOD TOTEM - Rei is good and also we need to paint TFC as bad so I don't look like a total fucking idiot for calling out bowman (even though I am)
Lohgock vs KyleCole - IT IS DELICIOUS
Biosci vs checkmater - If there's one thing check can do, it's beat "innovative" teams.

Last edited:

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
very exciting matchup, these players are great and im very excited to see what they will bring. i have peeped some zach games and i thought it was really great. im predicting laga for the win because i think he has a slight edge unless he times out

also very exciting matchups. i think qsns is a great player and this will be the second best match this week probably and i think it will be close but at the same time i think qsns is a quite nervous player so I think he might be way more prone to choking

have never really seen either of these players play, i highly enjoyed tfc vs majorbowman and was really disappointed laga timered out. im gonna say totem to win because everyone says he's good :^o

amazing players battling each other, im pretty sure this might be close matchup but i have never seen kyle lose

kinda impressed by checkmater vs zach despite getting zachs azu to +6 turn fucking one but i really expected him to get 6-0d, biosci is a good and smart player but i just dont quite know what he can do so as long as biosci doesnt bring talon aegislash i think checkmater has an okay chance but this is the matchup im literally the most on the fence on. my mind is telling me no but my body is telling me yes

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
biosci won vs "the best doubles ou player" in a convincing fashion, no hax involved, and you all predict him to lose vs. checkmater who got kinda bodied? ;_;
kamis first game and you can't really say kami played well at all, it was probably nerves but again im rly on the fence of this

[BIGS] Laga vs Braverius [WOLF] LAGOD
[TGRS] qsns vs Arcticblast [CONG] QUIZNOS

biosci is the best

Arguably the best doubles player ever with tons of experience in competitive play

Hardest match for me to choose, think qsns is gonna bring a hot team and get a close win

totem is cool

Kyle is cool

Biosci almost always brings mons with attack boosting moves (PUP, belly drum, etc) and Check let his opp get a +6 azu on turn one last week..

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor
[BIGS] Laga vs Braverius [WOLF] who vs who??? I expect Braverius to bring terracott, mew+kang/azu, or some other annoying tact that you see around the 1300 ladder and laga to not know what to do
[TGRS] qsns vs Arcticblast [CONG] both are not playing at the level we expect them to be at recently, I dont think either has a shot at winning.
[SHRK] TheFourthChaser vs BLOOD TOTEM [RAID] Has Rei's extensive collection animie pics prevented him from practicing doubles? I pick him winning since I havnt seen floods of animie on the chat recently so I assume he has been preparing
[CRYO] Lohgock vs KyleCole [FLCN] If I was a manager Kylecole would be #1 pick given that he just won seasonals, but at some point in time everyone gets some bad luck. I think he is due for some. If this tour wants to be taken seriously all battles should be best of 3 win by 2 considering how much luck factors into this game.
[SCTR] Biosci vs checkmater [RUIN] I am nervous for checkmater being that he lost last week, I still think behind kylecole hes the best player in this so I picking him over the random guy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)