Battle Spot - Simple Questions and Answers

I wouldn't go HP on Ninetales with its movepool. There are too many other things it should/could have instead(Solarbeam, WoW, Dark Pulse, etc. Even Baby-Doll Eyes could see some use as a priority Growl.)

Really? Last time I checked it was. How often do they update that stats? I swear I looked sometime in December, though maybe it was November.

Thanks a bunch for the reply!

Even Modest Specs HP Rock doesn't OHKO max Sp.Def Talon just calced it. :(

252+ SpA Choice Specs Ninetales Hidden Power Rock vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Talonflame: 152-180 (82.1 - 97.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Even though I'm not for HP anything on Ninetales, that's really surprising(never seen a Talon that bulky though.) Things with bulk like Talon aren't supposed to take even weak moves they're 4x weak to, it's like how pretty much anything could KO Parasect with Ember.

Anyways, on to my question. I noticed Klefki learns Recycle, and coupled with the obvious synergy between that, a Kee Berry, Rest, and Calm Mind, I think I see a set. Still, it's stuck with mono-fairy/steel coverage with Klefki's decent but not great base 80 SpA. Maybe a set with Iron Defense and a Maranga Berry instead w/Foul Play for the attack? It seems like there's something here-maybe Mirror Shot with SR support?

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Anyways, on to my question. I noticed Klefki learns Recycle, and coupled with the obvious synergy between that, a Kee Berry, Rest, and Calm Mind, I think I see a set. Still, it's stuck with mono-fairy/steel coverage with Klefki's decent but not great base 80 SpA. Maybe a set with Iron Defense and a Maranga Berry instead w/Foul Play for the attack? It seems like there's something here-maybe Mirror Shot with SR support?
You're more than welcome to try it, however, Klefki is so weak offensively that even when it's boosted it won't be doing much to most things... Running Rest as your only recovery makes you much more vulnerable to the possibility of critical hits as well. Here's a taste of Klefki's awe-inspiring capacity for hitting like a wet tissue:

+6 252+ SpA Klefki Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 145-172 (70 - 83%)
+6 252+ SpA Klefki Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Gengar: 84-99 (62.2 - 73.3%)
+6 252+ SpA Klefki Dazzling Gleam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 110-129 (71.4 - 83.7%)
+6 252+ SpA Klefki Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Blade: 138-162 (82.6 - 97%)

mono Flash Cannon's coverage is so poor that I'm not going to cover it. My point is, there won't be many players who will give you enough free turns to get up 6 Calm Minds without any resistance, as even if by some miracle they don't pack strong Fire or Ground moves, or Taunt, or Roar/Whirlwind, or their own stat booster, you're still giving tons and tons of opportunities to score critical hits and deal heavy damage to your Klefki, and the only way to recover the lost HP is to give them three more free turns to do the same thing again. Don't even think about Maranga Foul Play, either, as that is even more passive and open to abuse by offensive playstyles than Calm Mind is. Honestly, Klefki has more useful support-type moves it can be running, like Thunder Wave and Dual Screens, and that's the role it should ideally take rather than trying to function as win condition in its own right.

e: isn't Mirror Shot basically just Flash Cannon but weaker? :s

That's really bad(and that's 252+.) Klefki definitely can't do Calm Mind, see that now. Not that it's that surprising-one huge weakness of mono-fairy attacking is Heatran, which takes nothing from anything it 4x resists, no exceptions. Mirror Shot has 65 BP and 85 Accuracy, but a 30% chance to lower the opponent's accuracy, hence the SR support. Still, it's worse than Flash Cannon, and even that's no good.

EDIT:Is Bulldoze any good on Mega Kangaskhan? It seems like it would be great, letting you invest in bulk instead of speed. The PGL is saying 54.5 % of Mega Kangas are Adamant in BSS, which lends credence to Bulldoze's viability, tjouh it doesn't show up in the top 10 moves.

Last edited:
I'm actually going to use a Mega Kangaskhan(surprised?) True to form, it's not the most standard set, but I'm gonna use Secret Power for the paralysis chance so I don't need Rock Tomb/Bulldoze. Rock Tomb seems questionable on Mega Kangaskhan because of how good Rock Slide is w/Parental Bond. Rock Tomb + Earthquake seems worse than Rock Slide + Bulldoze. Neither are anything close to standard, though. Another move you don't see on Mega Kangaskhan is Drain Punch. It's good for Mamoswine, TTar, Weavile(anything will kill it/bring it to sash pretty much, but the healing is really nice), Bisharp(little strongr than EQ-IDK if that's necessary to KO-and you get lots of HP back), Chansey, Blissey, Porygon2, etc. I guess it faces competition from PuP as well, which is almost as strong considering the 2nd hi is at +2 and it acts as a SD, but it seems good enough to warrant some use. Kang has some interesting options like those-too bad Circle Throw doesn't work on it(recently found this out.)

I wouldn't go HP on Ninetales with its movepool. There are too many other things it should/could have instead(Solarbeam, WoW, Dark Pulse, etc. Even Baby-Doll Eyes could see some use as a priority Growl.)

Even though I'm not for HP anything on Ninetales, that's really surprising(never seen a Talon that bulky though.) Things with bulk like Talon aren't supposed to take even weak moves they're 4x weak to, it's like how pretty much anything could KO Parasect with Ember.

Apart of calm mind, kee berry recycle rest seems very insteresting. I should try it out with another fourth move!

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Chesto Rest Recycle is the only one I'd really consider using, and definitely on something less passive than Klefki, maybe Gothitelle? It sounds like it'd be similar to Crocune in terms of execution but without the randomness that comes with Sleep Talk. Unfortunately everything that gets CM + Recycle is either a PU Psychic or it gets better recovery :/

There's Magnezone though. It doesn't have reliable recovery, and it definitely is't a psychic. Not sure Recycle is actually good for it, just pointing out there are non-psychics w/ no recovery that get Recycle. Does Snorlax appear much if at all in BSS? Haven't seen it on PS, and it's not ranked in the singles viability thread, but it seems like a really good Poke, especually with less fighting type attackers running around then last gen.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
But what is Magnezone meant to do with Recycle?? It doesn't have any good boosting moves and is weak to soooo many common attacks like Earthquake, Overheat, Focus Blast etc. (it literally has trouble with the whole top 12).

Snorlax is severely outclassed offensively by Mega Kangaskhan, and Porygon2 is way better defensively. We ran into a Custap Berry one on stream which was kinda cool since Gluttony makes it activate at 50% instead of 25%, but iirc it still didn't really do anything. Maybe a specially defensive spread with Curse could provide some kind of niche but for now I'm gonna say it's jut a crapmon.

Snorlax has really gone downhill it seems. It used to be so amazing. Interestingly enough, it also gets Recycle. Maybe w/ Curse, Rest, and a Chesto Berry? IDK how that compares to just ChestoRest and Curse or Sleep Talk, Rest, and Curse, though. Magnezone has no real reason to run Recycle(or even to be run since, as you alluded to, it's not a very good Poke.) Just saying there's stuff that doesn't have reliable recovery and isn't a PU Psychic that gets Recycle. Cresselia learns it, too, but she's pressed for moveslots as is.

Completely off-topic, but what's a good rating on PS? I'm currently in the mid 1300s.

Snorlax's best niche is being a set-up tank with stupid high HP and Special bulk, and a plethora of boosting moves such as Curse, Stockpile, Amnesia, and Belly Drum.

only problem is that the opponent basically has be to asleep at the wheel in order for Snorlax to start becoming something scary with how much he has to boost to get there. Mega Kang becomes an instant threat after a power-up punch whereas snorlax needs to set 3 curses or use that belly drum before becoming a problem, and is still slow as molasses at the end of it.

If you want to use Snorlax that badly, I've seen a Stockpile/Belly Drum/Rest/Return set can probably go somewhere, but if you're in need of a bulky and highly threatening normal type in a format that allows Mega Kanga, just use the Big Momma.

Actually, I am currently using Mega Kanga(and am doing quite a bit better on PS for it), and most certainly not planning on using Snorlax anyways as I already have two normal types and think it would be silly to have three. I was just wondering if it's at all viable since it used to be, but some of then new Megas screwed things up for old favorites like Snorlax. I always like Pokemon w/ high HP stats though, particularly when they can actually do decent damage to the opponen(*cough* Blissey *cough* Chansey.) That set looks ridiculous to me even at +6, any Ghost and you're toast. Not too mention Taunt, Foul Play, crits, and all the other problems like Snorlax just not having the oppurtunity to set up a BD w/ slow speed and no priority.

Additionally, is Fling w/ an Assault Vest a viable strategy? Fling is 80 BP w/ an AV, which isn't bad, and throwing away the AV means you can use status category moves.

One last weird question(at least in this post, lol), is Zap Cannon at all viable? Assuming it hits once for every two times you use it, which is reasonable since it's got 50 accuracy, you can use Zap Cannon once on the opponent or Discharge twice over the course of two turns. 2 Discharges is stronger than 1 Zap Cannon, and they also don't have a 100% chance to paralyze(though applying a 30% chance twice ain't bad.) Frankly, I'm ambivalent and can go either way based on what move other people think is better.

Last edited:
Here is my team, please tell me if something on my team is illegal
My team works for free battles so idk...

Volcorona @ Lum Berry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Heat Wave
Quiver dance
Bug Buzz
Fiery Dance
(All of my pokemon have perfect IVs and EVs)

Thundurus Life Orb
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thunder wave
thunderbolt
grass knot
Focus blast

Rotom (wash) @ Choice specs
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trick
Will-O-Wisp
Hydro Pump
Volt Switch

I know, My team probably sucks but I can use it well. also I know I should probably have more than 3 pokemon but idk...

This isn't the right spot(you want teambuildinding help,) but one big problem is you only have three Pokemon. Sure, you only bring three to battle, but having six gives you more options. You pretty much need a mega evolution these days, as they're very powerful w/ good stats(for the most part,) and amazing abilities(again not all of them.) Your natures are missing, and "perfect EVs" doesn't really mean anything, especially w/o the nature. Other than all that, the only thing that stands out is Thundy's moves are a little awkward, as you typically want HP Ice(you especially cause you don't have ice coverage.) Taunt and Nasty Plot are good, too.

Volcorona @ Lum Berry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Heat Wave
Quiver dance
Bug Buzz
Fiery Dance

Thundurus Life Orb
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thunder wave
thunderbolt
grass knot
Focus blast

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trick
Will-O-Wisp
Hydro Pump
Volt Switch

I know, My team probably sucks but I can use it well. also I know I should probably have more than 3 pokemon but idk...
What's the problem? Is it that you're not all to do rated battles? You're missing a bunch of key information.

If its an issue with actually connecting then it must be a question of legitimacy. Where did you get these, particularly the Thundurus?

Last edited:

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Are you registered on the pgl for rating battles? If so, do they all have pentagon and did you obtain them yourself?

What's the problem? Is it that you're not all to do rated battles? You're missing a bunch of key information.

If its an issue with actually connecting then it must be a question of legitimacy. Where did you get these, particularly the Thundurus?
Sorry for the lack of info, I got thundurus thru the gts...

When you go through your team members' summary, look for a blue pentagon. If any of your team members don't have one, they cannot participate in Battle Spot.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Volcorona @ Lum Berry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Heat Wave
Quiver dance
Bug Buzz
Fiery Dance

Thundurus Life Orb
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thunder wave
thunderbolt
grass knot
Focus blast

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trick
Will-O-Wisp
Hydro Pump
Volt Switch

1. Don't make a whole new thread for this next time
  2. Source all your own Pokemon or only use those from trades with people you know/trust
  3. ORAS Battle Spot requires the blue pentagon, meaning the Pokemon were caught / bred in an X, Y, OR, or AS
  4. Use 6 Pokemon

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)