Unpopular opinions

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
FRLG are so close to the originals that they actually remove features that were present in Ruby/Sapphire such as day and night, Contests, the ability to evolve your Golbat, breeding etc. until post game where you get some of those features back.
Actually, there was no day/night cycle in RSE. There was a clock, but it had very little impact on gameplay.

Is it really fair to lump third versions in with the paired? Personally I think DP is the worst main game, yet Platinum is my second favourite.
Fair enough, I'll redo it or at least make a second one. EDIT: I'll post it after someone else posts so people would actually notice it.

Actually, there was no day/night cycle in RSE. There was a clock, but it had very little impact on gameplay.
It at least allowed you to evolve Eevee into Espeon or Umbreon.

Last edited:
In my case, FireRed/LeafGreen is the only pair of games that I've played but never completed. (Not counting through ROM Hacks - at least False Red, as small its changes are, makes it feel different)

It's like... they are pure filler in the series.

FireRed/LeafGreen are easily my least favourite for a couple of reasons:
(1) Red/Blue are the pivots which makes us love both the anime and the following games;
(2) Despite the (aesthetics and functional) buffs, they still remain the same of their old versions despite the SEVII islands which are nice, but don't justify playing these games.

Rayquaza is so cool in ORAS that Arceus in DPP can cry because the latter would wish to be so epic. It is even annoying flavour-wise: Arceus, the God of all pokemon, is beaten by Mega Rayquaza (not only) in terms of look.
I like Rayquaza more than Arceus, sorry.

My 2 cents.

FireRed/LeafGreen are easily my least favourite for a couple of reasons:
(1) Red/Blue are the pivots which makes us love both the anime and the following games;
(2) Despite the (aesthetics and functional) buffs, they still remain the same of their old versions despite the SEVII islands which are nice, but don't justify playing these games.
FR/LG is still superior in every way to RBY (updated mechanics, graphics etc) so I'll always play FRLG over RBY unless I'm glitch hunting...but compared to HGSS and ORAS, like others had said you can defiantly notice that FRLG doesn't bring much new stuff to the table, just updates all the old stuff.

Rayquaza is so cool in ORAS that Arceus in DPP can cry because the latter would wish to be so epic. It is even annoying flavour-wise: Arceus, the God of all pokemon, is beaten by Mega Rayquaza (not only) in terms of look.
I like Rayquaza more than Arceus, sorry.
Nice c/p, anyway...I dislike both. Arceus because well, idk wtf it's meant to be exactly...

"It is described in mythology as the Pokémon that shaped the universe with its 1,000 arms." - Poke Diamond - LOL I can't see any arms!
"It is said to have emerged from an egg in a place where there was nothing, then shaped the world." - Platnium/BW/B2W2...Um...so if there's nothing how can an egg exist? Surely the egg is something. If Arceus is the creator then who created the Arceus Egg...?

As for Rayquaza, I feel it's just a "meh" legendary. I much prefer Kyogre in ORAS. I'm not a massive fan of anything that steamrolls every other Pokemon without weakness. As for how "cool" it looks, I disagree, one thing that has always stuck with me is when you fly up into space w/ Rayquaza-Mega it had that weird bar thing that looked really out of place. I much prefer Kyurem as that kind of "3rd Legendary"...

The main reason I like Kyurem is because of it's story. It's a shell left behind when the original dragon split which is far more interesting that "op Pokemon stops fight then returns to it's home". Kyurem also eats children.

I mean I prefer it's design to Rayquaza to. I like it's jagged edges and the whole way it seems "unnatural" and incomplete...

Last edited:
Reactions: JES
Same here, I love the chicken dragon.

Freaking Kyurem looks unnatural as fuck and still looks like a cave dwelling dragon, I have no idea how they make it work but it does.

Also I like Kyogre the most of the weather trio, it's not like South American culture regarded Orcas as the gods of the underworld nor that the earth in the myths was crafted out of a underwater beast so badass it had to be lured by a God sacrificing it's leg in the process and still the two gods fighting it where close to actually losing.

Seriously Orcas are badass if you have Latinamerican influences.

The main reason I like Kyurem is because of it's story. It's a shell left behind when the original dragon split which is far more interesting that "op Pokemon stops fight then returns to it's home". Kyurem also eats children.

I mean I prefer it's design to Rayquaza to. I like it's jagged edges and the whole way it seems "unnatural" and incomplete...
Well, it's a zombie dragon. What's not to like in it?

I feel like I should talk more about the "eating children" thing. Well it's say more it's more like a sentence but w/e
I didn't really expect Pokemon to give us a Pokemon which kills the primary audience for Pokemon. It's been alluded to, of course, by many Pokemon. But I don't think any have directly shown obvious intention to kill young children.

Also 69th post yay

Firered and Leafgreen are forgotten? Huh?
I'd also say they are rather forgotten. They don't seem to get a lot of love in the fandom in general. Most people seem to prefer HG/SS or OR/AS when it comes to remakes, and as for Kanto games, R/B/Y seem to be more popular among Kanto fans. Of course, these are just my observations, chances are you have different experiences. I really like FR/LG myself though, they are my favorite remakes in terms of improvement over the originals and I have had a lot of fun with them.

As for the polls, I voted for HG/SS in both. Don't feel like going into any lengthy explanation as for why they are my least favorites, at least not right now. Maybe later.

Please stop polling for which game is the most unpopular, that's the opposite of what I was trying to say.

What I meant was that "unpopular" is a very undefined term and hard to quantify (even the attempted poll would be from a small niche selection therefore very unreliable). And that's not accounting for how opinions can change given time. Platinum used to be my favorite but replaying it exposed a lot of flaws I had forgotten (it's still good, just not the best in my eyes). So everyone's posts on this thread are more based on gut feelings or impressions than hard data.

W-what if your least favourite game is a side game?

I also wouldn't say FR/LG are forgotten, they may not be talked about but we are aware it exists.

I personally just don't like third gen games in general. Why? I don't know. There's something about them that I can't put my finger on. Every other generation that I've played (no Gen II), I've beaten game in. Yellow? Beaten. Diamond? Beaten. Platinum? Beaten. SoulSilver? Beaten. Black? Beaten. Black 2? Beaten. X? Beaten. Y? Beaten. AlphaSapphire? Beaten. Ruby and LeafGreen? In progress.
It's clearly not the regions, it's clearly not the 'mons (I like Gen III's designs for the most part), I don't know what it is.

I personally just don't like third gen games in general. Why? I don't know. There's something about them that I can't put my finger on. Every other generation that I've played (no Gen II), I've beaten game in. Yellow? Beaten. Diamond? Beaten. Platinum? Beaten. SoulSilver? Beaten. Black? Beaten. Black 2? Beaten. X? Beaten. Y? Beaten. AlphaSapphire? Beaten. Ruby and LeafGreen? In progress.
It's clearly not the regions, it's clearly not the 'mons (I like Gen III's designs for the most part), I don't know what it is.
Well there's always that background radiation that you're re-buying a full game again for minor cosmetic upgrades, so some people feel cheated by them. Might be why Gamefreak started gravitating away from them (B2/W2 being full sequels with tons of changes and Pokemon Z just not happening as of this moment).

I was okay with them because I was a late comer for every generation up to Gen 5. My first ones were Yellow, Emerald, and Platinum (I played Silver first in Gen 2, but that fell into the "Pokemon is for kids and I'm too old for this at age 10" phase of my life so I skipped everything between Crystal and Emerald).

Well there's always that background radiation that you're re-buying a full game again for minor cosmetic upgrades, so some people feel cheated by them. Might be why Gamefreak started gravitating away from them (B2/W2 being full sequels with tons of changes and Pokemon Z just not happening as of this moment).

I was okay with them because I was a late comer for every generation up to Gen 5. My first ones were Yellow, Emerald, and Platinum (I played Silver first in Gen 2, but that fell into the "Pokemon is for kids and I'm too old for this at age 10" phase of my life so I skipped everything between Crystal and Emerald).
No, I said third GEN, not third versions. I have no problem with those, though to be fair, since I actually started playing, there hasn't been a new third version since (I started, funnily enough, with Platinum).

One thing that I've noticed looking at people's reaction to the new information about Sun and Moon is the overworld models no longer being the chibi forms we had in Generation VI. And the wording towards the chibi models is very harsh. While I do enjoy the more accurate models, I also really like the chibi ones.

One thing that I've noticed looking at people's reaction to the new information about Sun and Moon is the overworld models no longer being the chibi forms we had in Generation VI. And the wording towards the chibi models is very harsh. While I do enjoy the more accurate models, I also really like the chibi ones.
I prefer ORAS models ;;
There's always Hotel Mario...
It wasn't really made by Nintendo. It's a big as part to the Mario franchise as Zelda: The Faces Of Evil is to the Zelda franchise. So none.
True, but I was thinking more along the lines of main games. If we're wandering outside that then, well, Hey You Pikachu.
But, Pokémon Dash...it's dreadful.
I'd say it is defiantly Pokemon Channel. At least Pokemon Dash and Hey You, Pikachu had something resembling gameplay.

Last edited:
I prefer ORAS models ;;

It wasn't really made by Nintendo. It's a big as part to the Mario franchise as Zelda: The Faces Of Evil is to the Zelda franchise. So none.

I'd say it is defiantly Pokemon Channel. At least Pokemon Dash and hey You, Pikachu had something resembling gameplay.
At least Channel gave you a Jirachi

I'm just gonna assume this is an unpopular opinion because no one really talks about these games. While on the topic of spin-offs, I LOVED Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Alamia and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky. The latter would probably be in a list of my top 5 favorite games of all time. PMD had an amazing story with twists, tragedy and was just downright epic. It also had a huge post game which opened up many new dungeons to explore, some of which expanded the story further. It even had side-stories that further developed some of the minor characters. So much content!

The gameplay was so good too. So many tense moments in this game.

• Getting low on pp and hp and just desperately hoping for an elixir, apple or staircase to appear around the corner.
  • Stepping into a monster house and hearing that dreaded music that just screams danger.
  • Barely laying a dent on primal dialga at the end of the game, just knowing you're going to be in for a long epic fight. UGH SO GOOD.

Acting like a fucking fanboy wow. I don't know if I'm being blinded by nostalgia but I can go on and on about this masterpiece man. Losing my copy still keeps me up at night lol.

I'm just gonna assume this is an unpopular opinion because no one really talks about these games. While on the topic of spin-offs, I LOVED Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Alamia and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky. The latter would probably be in a list of my top 5 favorite games of all time. PMD had an amazing story with twists, tragedy and was just downright epic. It also had a huge post game which opened up many new dungeons to explore, some of which expanded the story further. It even had side-stories that further developed some of the minor characters. So much content!

The gameplay was so good too. So many tense moments in this game.

• Getting low on pp and hp and just desperately hoping for an elixir, apple or staircase to appear around the corner.
  • Stepping into a monster house and hearing that dreaded music that just screams danger.
  • Barely laying a dent on primal dialga at the end of the game, just knowing you're going to be in for a long epic fight. UGH SO GOOD.

Acting like a fucking fanboy wow. I don't know if I'm being blinded by nostalgia but I can go on and on about this masterpiece man. Losing my copy still keeps me up at night lol.
I have yet to meet a Pokémon fan that doesn't adore the hell out of Explorers of Sky

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 20)