Unpopular opinions

Yeah Emerald felt much more complete and I enjoyed it much more mostly thanks to the Battle Frontier which I spent a lot of time in and pretty much was my first introduction to competitive movesets and stuff (if you can call it that, Scarf Guillotine Pinsir lol). I was also more used to the new Pokemon at that point. I didn't really like the FRLG remakes though and that pretty much sealed it for Gen3 as a gen that I didn't really like overall :( but having said all that, I don't dislike any Pokemon game so it's just a case of being my least favourite :)

Gen3 was my least favourite in Pokemon. There I said it. I always found the Pokemon in Hoenn very uninteresting and it was a massive disappointment after playing Gen2 which was like the greatest thing to ever happen. Gen1 always has nostalgia value but Gen2 was just perfect in so many ways. I also loved Gen4 and didn't like Gen5 :P
I hated gen 2,i despised even more gen 4.

I got used to the inconvenience of gen 3,but God it's does suck.

Basically gen 2 had fucked up leveling because they tried to do a hyrule field/sandbox bullshit and they failed hard, then we have a whole new region! With only 3 side quests, even more stupid level gaps making it barren as fuck...yet people still praise it somehow, the only decent stuff there was Red snorlax, seriously that was the only half challenge gen2 had. Then you get 2 new types! Wich you will only get to use in the game either in the post game or if you evolved eeevee at night, or used pineco for wathever unholy reason as it is the only option in gold since silver also has skarmory.

Gen 3 is inconvenient in every sense, at least it introduced the battle Frontier and synchronize+everstone.

Gen 4 gave us great stuff with competitive and breeding stuff, even wifi. But God... Mt coronet blocking everything, marshes, snow and the worst HM blocking syndrome of all the games... Jesus at least we got a breeding route, and the battle zone for actual post-game.

Gen5 did everything right, some sandbox lovers might hate it for being too linear or having very few extra zones to its routes, but dex wise it was the absolutely best both for ingame and difficulty design, most of the dex was made of clones of previous roles, but God they actually made them work in their level context and even gave us the brilliant introduction of non stone evolving early ice types with rare game breakers such as maractus for those that actually explored. And then there is the world tournament, the biggest fanservice moment in the franchise. There is also LO hydreigon from Ghetsis, eat your heart out Cynthia and Red, this Is a real fight without the need of level jumps.

Gen6 is decent dex wise but it kind of falls flat with uneventful fights in every sense yet it breath a lot of new air to competitive with Megas.

Seriously I'm a gen 5 and gen6 F.A.G. and I have been playing since blue, but seriously I still can't see how people praise jotho or say it has a post-game due to having a new region with virtually nothing, gen 4 wich I despise with a passion pulled this better with the battle zone in every way and until b/w b2 /w2 blew it out of the water DPPT where the definition of post-game in the franchise.

For me gen 3 and 4 are far and away the best gens. I'm not going to go on a tirade, but I liked everything about them both- from the large amounts of water in RSE to the extensive caves and moutains in DPP. Emerald and platinum in particular stick out to me as the most complete games. I think gen 5 is pretty trash, just overall. Gen 1 isn't great, but it was the first game, so I can't blame them for not making it perfect. Gen 2 was a step in the right direction, but between the amount of grinding before the Pokemon league and the failure to live up to its postgame potential really knock it down a notch. 6th gen falls right about in the middle for me, many things were good, many things were bad. All in all though this is of course relative, cause truly I like all Pokemon games. Just some more than others.

Changing the topic a bit, I don't think I'm the only one that finds the XY models of several "tough" Pokemon as ridiculously cute. Take Groudon (Both normal and primal) and Rhyperior. Especially the latter, considering I used to find it forgettable... then I saw its XY model.

Not saying that what you're saying is wrong... just a bit confusing.
Haha, sorry I should have clarified that I meant it was trash compared to the other generations in my opinion. I still play it because it's a pokemon game, it's just not the caliber of the others (in my opinion). I should have read over my post for contradictions before I posted it lol.

I personally am one of the minorities that did not like gen 3 prior to ORAS. I believe a bulk of the pokemon were bland and not very "fun to use." I'm looking at you Mancetric! The starters being almost the only saving grace. The region itself was decent and big, but the water, oh the water.

I personally liked gen 2 and 4 the best. Gen 2 because of the vast post game that caught everyone, we'll okay, maybe just me by surprise. Although the huge level gap in trainer/wild pokemon and the elite 4 is a valid argument to say it was poorly mapped out to say the least. Gen 4 was great to me because I loved the region and I loved the pokemon. Staraptor, Togikiss, All three starter lines, and all of the new evolutions on old pokemon were awesome. Most people seem to hate it because of the snow, but I found it new and fun. A lot better then the previous version where you spent half the time in water. On a last note, it introduced the physical, special split which allowed a lot more pokemon to be more viable.

On another note, it seems like the community is pretty evenly divided in the sense where you either liked BOTH Gen 2 and 4 and disliked Gen 3; or you live by Gen 3 like it's a religion and absolutely detest Gen 2 and 4. Quite the odd coincidence or am I stretching the truth?

Oh yeah, just to add, Gen 5 minus the challenge mode was trash.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Gen5 did everything right, some sandbox lovers might hate it for being too linear or having very few extra zones to its routes
Gen V honestly isn't that much more linear than most of the other games. It's just really shitty at hiding it due to the region being designed to send you down a line to get to the League.

I personally am one of the minorities that did not like gen 3 prior to ORAS. I believe a bulk of the pokemon were bland and not very "fun to use." I'm looking at you Mancetric! The starters being almost the only saving grace. The region itself was decent and big, but the water, oh the water.

I personally liked gen 2 and 4 the best. Gen 2 because of the vast post game that caught everyone, we'll okay, maybe just me by surprise. Although the huge level gap in trainer/wild pokemon and the elite 4 is a valid argument to say it was poorly mapped out to say the least. Gen 4 was great to me because I loved the region and I loved the pokemon. Staraptor, Togikiss, All three starter lines, and all of the new evolutions on old pokemon were awesome. Most people seem to hate it because of the snow, but I found it new and fun. A lot better then the previous version where you spent half the time in water. On a last note, it introduced the physical, special split which allowed a lot more pokemon to be more viable.

On another note, it seems like the community is pretty evenly divided in the sense where you either liked BOTH Gen 2 and 4 and disliked Gen 3; or you live by Gen 3 like it's a religion and absolutely detest Gen 2 and 4. Quite the odd coincidence or am I stretching the truth?

Oh yeah, just to add, Gen 5 minus the challenge mode was trash.
I love gen 3 and gen 4, but I don't hate 2. I like the remake of 2 quite a lot actually. It might a bit of a generalization, but more or less accurate for most people.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Gen V honestly isn't that much more linear than most of the other games. It's just really shitty at hiding it due to the region's design and it setting you on a straight line to get to the League.
Also it's only linear in the sense of the progression to set piece to set piece, however most of these set pieces are open to explorations like the cities/towns, forests, caves, and even some routes. Plus post game opens up additional routes and towns which are also linearly connected but just as open for exploration as other locations. It's not like FF13 where for most of the game you're running down a hallway in different environments.

I really like Gen 5. The selection of Pokemon is good (one meh evolutionary line does not discredit the rest of the design, otherwise Gen 1's design would suck because if Muk and things like that). I never had a problem with it's linearity, I mean other generations aren't that non-linear anyway (excluding Gen 1). It had a deep story with meaning and good characters (especially N).

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Gen V honestly isn't that much more linear than most of the other games. It's just really shitty at hiding it due to the region being designed to send you down a line to get to the League.
Well, that and that it stays linear in the postgame. In postgame Kanto, you can bike between all the central cities in less than five minutes without a single Pokémon encounter. With a bike and something that knows Surf, few of the mainland Hoenn towns and cities are that far from one another. Johto is a little more spread out, but foot travel between cities isn't that time-consuming. In Unova, you go clockwise or counterclockwise, that's it. The dungeons between cities remain unskippable. Better than the epic labyrinth of monumental annoyance that was Sinnoh, though. Sinnoh's motto for postgame exploration must be "Fly or pain". Arceus help you if you ever boxed your Fly-knowing Pokémon.

I really despise hearing the argument of "Vanilluxe and Garbodor is fine because Gen 1 has Electrode and Muk". Like, the first few times it was fine but now it just seems like it's an excuse to criticize anything about Gen 1 and combat any criticism of Gen 5

I really despise hearing the argument of "Vanilluxe and Garbodor is fine because Gen 1 has Electrode and Muk". Like, the first few times it was fine but now it just seems like it's an excuse to criticize anything about Gen 1 and combat any criticism of Gen 5
Not to mention it's a clear case of a fallacy.

I mean, Gen V is my favourite generation but I cannot avoid getting annoyed whenever I read such things. Especially when you have Eevee and the Gen I eeveelutions as better Pokemon to complain about.

HeartGold and SoulSilver are my personal favourite Pokémon games due to the amount of post game. I hear what people are saying about the level gaps, and you have a valid point, but I didn't mind them.

BW I found disappointing - I didn't like the designs and the post game was seriously lacking. That said, Team Plasma were interesting villains.

XY are my least favourite. The new mechanic of mega evolution was in my opinion a good idea - it gives a lot of underused Pokémon a chance to be viable. But other than that, there weren't many memorable Pokémon and the postgame was a joke. In my opinion, the games felt rushed.

I don't have a problem with the low difficulty. The games are aimed at young kids, and gone are the days when you needed to make games ridiculously hard to pad out their running time. If you want a challenging RPG, get Fire Emblem Fates Conquest.

Also Zoroark > Lucario.

The thing is, those arguments do have a point. I'm not okay with formulations like the one you mentioned: X is okay, because Gen Y had the same. But I do think that a lot of the criticism towards Gen 5 comes from a few failed designs, whereas the other gens had a few ugly/failed designs as well. And in my opinion is fair to defend yourself with saying that every gen had that same problem. And I don't think using this argument is an excuse in order to justify everything about gen 5, but more of a defense towards people who only look at the failed/ugly designs when making their judgement.

HeartGold and SoulSilver are my personal favourite Pokémon games due to the amount of post game. I hear what people are saying about the level gaps, and you have a valid point, but I didn't mind them.

BW I found disappointing - I didn't like the designs and the post game was seriously lacking. That said, Team Plasma were interesting villains.

XY are my least favourite. The new mechanic of mega evolution was in my opinion a good idea - it gives a lot of underused Pokémon a chance to be viable. But other than that, there weren't many memorable Pokémon and the postgame was a joke. In my opinion, the games felt rushed.

I don't have a problem with the low difficulty. The games are aimed at young kids, and gone are the days when you needed to make games ridiculously hard to pad out their running time. If you want a challenging RPG, get Fire Emblem Fates Conquest.

Also Zoroark > Lucario.
Well, about XY. I agree Mega Evolution is good, but only when given to forgotten / underused Pokemon. I mean when they are slapped on legendarys like Mewtwo you run into an issue. I also disagree with "fan service megas" such as the Kanto / Hoeen Starters but that's for another time.

I think why we in particular has an issue with low difficulty Pokemon games is we know the Pokemon mechanics very well. We understand it all. I mean on something like Smogon people who play competitively are going to be able to sweep the main game with no issues. That just isn't fun. Little kids will find XY fine because they don't understand all the small mechanics. I personally am against XY for it's low difficulty, but that comes from me understanding Pokemon well and all that. It's a shame, but necessary to keep the franchise alive, I guess. I mean I'm kinda happy to do nuzlockes and other challengers to overcome the low difficulty anyway so yeah

The thing is, those arguments do have a point. I'm not okay with formulations like the one you mentioned: X is okay, because Gen Y had the same. But I do think that a lot of the criticism towards Gen 5 comes from a few failed designs, whereas the other gens had a few ugly/failed designs as well. And in my opinion is fair to defend yourself with saying that every gen had that same problem. And I don't think using this argument is an excuse in order to justify everything about gen 5, but more of a defense towards people who only look at the failed/ugly designs when making their judgement.
Yeah, and that's when it's fine. But when it always comes up - even when it's in response to something where it's not the main point - that's when it starts becoming a fallacy.

On the topic about difficulty... I think Game Freak should try again about the Challenge Mode of BW2, except as an actual challenge.

Not something that is unlocked in the post-game in only one of the games (Or requires syncing with a game that has the key), that requires erasing your save to have the 'full' experience (What about a New Game +? Or something like Conquest's final story, where you have to do the same as in the first one except with everyone else vastly upgraded?) and does not translate to "It's harder because you have to grind a little more".

The ROM Hacks Blaze Black 2 and Volt White 2 have a Challenge Mode that is a proper step up in difficulty compared to normal mode, for instance, and was actually good (Well, except for the transition from Roxie to Burgh, which is EXTREME).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 12)