Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not gonna lie, after seeing the female protagonist's hat in the concept art, I like it a lot better. It looks a lot more natural. That also goes for the entire female protagonist's outfit. Much better than the video footage we have gotten prior to now.

Seems that official artwork of Magearna was also revealed. The colors look much better than on the anime's artwork.

The pug and koala are very cute. Not much to say about them. The Japanese names seem reminiscent of One Piece, though.

That new ability for Nekkoala is very interesting. Not being able to have other status besides sleep is actualy original. What if there is going to be other such habilities but with other status moves.

Now this region is becoming more interesting with the time. Now i am more hype abou E3

Is there some description of the other new abilities??

I don't know why... I think that rock puppy would get flocked by fans so quickly I can't like it anymore.

The koala, though. Now I wonder how does it even work.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Iwanko: (from "iwa" (rock), "wak" (onomatopoetic word for barking), "wanko" (dog), & "ko" (young animals))
Looks like people were right about Iwanko being based on a Spitz breed of dog (specifically the Akita Inu), however no one thought it would be a Rock-type so I guess GF still got us there! If its an early Rock-type that would be an interesting option due to Rock having a chart relation to the Starter types, I'd say I hope they balance this out by providing an early type that combos well with all the starters (we have the Rock-type Iwanko being good against Fire-types but poor against the other two, so I'd say also have an early Electric (strong against Water, resisted by Grass, neutral to Fire) and have a Bug and/or Flying-type as always for against the Grass Starter).
It's design is adorable! I especially like the two additional pieces of artwork for it, shows it being playful and cute (and ferocious, though that's kind of difficult to achieve when you're a cute puppy) than the pose it's doing in what I'm supposing is the official stock art. Being based on a Spitz, do doubt the "main feature" is the tail so I'm curious if being a Rock-type will affect it in any way upon evolution.
Keen Eye & Vital Spirit are fine Abilities, makes sense in context as its a puppy so is going to have a lot of energy. Still, not your typical Rock-type Pokemon though we have yet to see where GF is going to take it and its possible evolutions (and maybe that secret which it hides with the Starters). Maybe it'll gain more rocks to it and start being more of a Rock-type we're used to... though maybe a bit faster than usual?

Nekkoara: (from "nekko" (root), "ne" (sleep), "ko" (young animal), & "koara" (koala))
Do I even need to mention Nekkoara (or is it meant to be Nekkoala?) is the first koala Pokemon? ;) I would say this is probably the early route Normal-type, but I remember us saying that about Minncino which proved to not be true (then again Bunnelby turned out to be an early route Normal-type so who knows). Actually speaking of which, I'm curious about the "root" part of its name. Obviously is comes from the log its holding, though does that mean it may become a Grass-type at some point? And yes, we've been sort of through this before with the Flabebe family, but no two Pokemon are the same (besides everyone argues Florges should have been part Grass-type). Seems to use the log its holding for attacks as one image depicts it spinning on the log to do kicks, so I guess its sort of a vital part of Nekkoara.
Design is also cute, but it's a koala so that was a give in.
As Vader_the_White said its Ability, Definite Sleep (Serebii)/Absolute Dreaming (Bulbapedia) is an inversion of the Insomnia Ability, instead of preventing Sleep it prevents everything but Sleep. I'm hoping there's something more to it than that (like maybe it turns all forms of Status Ailment into Sleep) but probably not.

Magearna Stuff:
So Magearna's Ability and Move has been revealed: Soul Heart and Fleur Cannon. Don't know what they do, though Fleur is french for "flower", hmm. French and "flower", yet not a Kalos Pokemon. Also you may recall the popular symbol called the Fleur-de-lis which was used in French heraldry.
So the QR Code use thickens as it can be used to get Event Pokemon (specifically with Ga-Ole discs)! Attendees to the next Pokemon movie will get a special Ga-Ole disc which will get them a Magearna by scanning its QR code. It'll know the moves Fleur Cannon, Flash Cannon, Lucky Chant, & Helping Hand. Since it doesn't have a Fairy-type move I guess Fleur Cannon is possibly Fairy-type (also its pink). Though that's kind of odd, following the concept it sort of sounds a bit like AZ's Floette's Signature Move, Light of Ruin. Also it doesn't really match Magearna's theme, at least what we know of it. Very strange.

Mascot Alternate Phase:
Solgaleo and Lunala got a little bit of info with "alternate forms". As it's been pointed out, during their Signature Move's attacking animation their bodies change a bit. These "forms" apparently have names. Solgaleo enters into "Rising Phase" as it becomes like the sun, all its color ascent becoming yellow and shines brightly. Lunala enters into "Full Moon Phase" as it looks similar to the moon, its wings spread apart and glow white revealing its skeletal structure.
I'm not calling it an "Alternate Form" as I don't think it's a permanent change. I think it's more akin to Xerneas's Active and Neutral Mode. Likewise, I don't think it'll have any affect in-game, it's more for presentation and maybe storyline purposes I think.

Seems that official artwork of Magearna was also revealed. The colors look much better than on the anime's artwork.
We've had its official art for a while now, just everyone prefers the first pose of it as it's a bit less awkward with its arms on the side than stretched out.

just realized "slept like a log" is probably the inspiration for nekkoala

not entirely sure because it's more of an english idiom, but it'd make sense

It's possible.

Well that's all I have to say. Maybe I'll get to the map commenting next time. :)

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Somebody on TV Tropes said that Magearna's ability is effectively a Special version of Moxie, but it procs when anything on the field faints (presumably for any reason). This includes allies. He's not entirely sure, though, since the scan is hard to read.

He also said Magearna's sig move translates to Fleur Cannon (he's sure about this one).
Fleur Cannon... flower cannon? Is this the "flower" thing they've been saying?

In some images/video clips Magearna's hands open up into flowers (fleur) from which it fires cannons.

Example

Coincidentally, it's also the above poster's avatar...
Good job, Gamefreak, nice Digimon reference.

Well I'm quite pleased that we now have a cute and unconventional Rock type. And by pleased, I do mean absolutely fangirling.
Maybe it's one of the first route pokemon? I would hope so. The whole Normal rodent and Normal/Flying bird is getting very stale. XY at least broke away from that a little with Normal/Ground and Fire/Flying.

inb4 it's a bog standard Com Mon with no good stats or healing outside of Rest.

It seriously looks like the early route mammal, even though it's not a rodent like the rest.

(Koalas aren't rodents, right?)
Actually koalas are marsupials without any back up plan about teeth replacement. Most just die of starvation when their teeth fall, or due to some koala STD...

They also have a poorly developed brain, I'm not kidding here, they are unable to distinguish food if it isn't in a branch according to a research...and then die of starvation...

They also give zero fucks about rain and sleep 20 hours a day...sometimes they sleep through the rain...Also apparently people have claimed that they are interspecies rapists just like Dolphins, Ducks and another species of bird I can't recall it's name...

Last edited:

It seriously looks like the early route mammal, even though it's not a rodent like the rest.

No, they're marsupials like kangaroos. *edit: ninja'd.
Since we're now doing Koala facts, they ability to be immune to all status effects except sleep may stem from the fact that Koalas pretty much only eat eucalyptus leaves despite the leaves being highly toxic to eat. Apparently instead of poisoning them, it just makes Koalas permanently high. Nature's cutest druggie.

Still, I like the new 'mons and their abilities/typings. A koala and a dirt-hound (or maybe a diamond dog? Guess Gamefreak has either been playing Metal Gear V or listening to David Bowie).

Reactions: JES

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor

Maybe it'll get Slack Off?

Anyway Koala are marsupials (which is an "infraclass") so no where near the rodentia order. In classification terms the only thing they have in common is that both a mammals. Even Lagomorphs, such as rabbits, are closer related to rodent with both falling under the clade of "Glires" (thus why Bunnelby, though a rabbit, can still be considered Gen V's "gen rodent"; though I suppose now "gen glire" would be more appropriate but that's not as catchy).

And that's our daily lesson of "Animal Classification Trivia that Game Freak Doesn't Even Consider When Making A Pokemon".

Straya represent m8
Designer 1: Let's make a koala Pokemon!
Designer 2: A koala, an animal only found in Australia, the the Hawaiian-based region?
Designer 1: They're both islands, close enough.

Though we did have a zebra in New York and a Japanese Robin in France so par for the course.

Actually koalas are marsupials without any back up plan about teeth replacement. Most just die of starvation when their teeth fall, or due to some koala STD...

They also have a poorly developed brain, I'm not kidding here, they are unable to distinguish food if it isn't in a branch according to a research...and then die of starvation...

They also give zero fucks about rain.
Oh, koala are nasty critters, in both attitude and life style. I'm going to put some of this stuff in a spoiler as it's that disgusting (don't worry, no pictures, just words which may make you sick when reading it (seriously, don't eat any food)):

SERIOUSLY, you really don't want to be eating anything when you read some of this.
Since baby Koala can't digest eucalyptus plants, babies have to survive on their mother's poop which is able to stay in their stomachs long enough they can digest properly.

Many koala has chlamydia.

Since eucalyptus leaves don't provide a lot of energy (it's a wonder why the species even evolved to only eat the plant), they are incredibly lazy to the point they're soaked with their own urine and feces.

It's not strange several animals eat their mothers feces to gain bacteria for specialized diets, sloths grow Moss and have fauna wich depends on sloth feces to survive living on that Moss.

Koalas are among some of the few species reported to engage in interspecies sexual aggression...at least Dolphins learned how to pleasure themselves with other animals and teach other members of their groups how to do it... Koalas smooth brain just makes it an impulse...

Reactions: JES
Okay, let's stop the Koala facts. I know I'm a hypocrite, but seriously I do not want this thread closed due to kinky animal habits.

Fleur Cannon is obviously flower cannon, but is it more than that? Well besides a continuing theme of ancient manmade robots offering kids flowers (reference Laputa: Castle in the Sky), Fleur is a French word. Guess that's another point in the "Project Azoth" theory. Maybe the X/Y plot isn't quite as finished as we thought.

Please note that I don't agree with all parts of this theory.

Last edited:
"CoroCoro hints that Rowlet, Litten, Popplio and Iwanko all hide a secret."

I'd love to know WHAT.
Hidden abilities? Generation 6 had Gale Wings, Bulletproof, and Protean, so the precedent is there to give really cool and exclusive hidden abilities to early-game mons. Could Iwanko be this generation's Fletchling? Time will tell.

I never noticed this before, but Magearna's core has the XY colors. It's odd, Magearna feels like a gen 6 Pokemon and Volcanion seems like it's a natural fit in Alola.

http://www.serebii.net/corocoro7164.jpg

I see stats here next to Magerana. Are these supposed to be its base stats? If so....oof....those are some nasty stats. X.X
Doesn't look like they're stats, missing one.

So, these are cool but I wish we got some more non-mammal reveals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)