Battle Spot - Simple Questions and Answers

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
With Mamoswine's and Suicune's rise in popularity the last couple seasons, people were turning to the Grass Knot + Life Orb set to beat them in one Pokemon, while also being able to 1v1 Kangaskhan and Ferrothorn (Low Kick), Garchomp / Salamence / Landorus-T (Ice Beam), and (Mega) Gengar / Aegislash / Cresselia (Dark Pulse). It's just a fantastic utility mon that can be customised to fit on a lot of teams, and beats a lot of the top threats (10 out of the top 16).

Anyone know what the hell is up with this?

upload_2016-6-23_15-22-16.png

This guy shot into the U.S. top ten in Triples out of nowhere (mid-1600s is good for top ten because we suck), but uh ... break-even record? Is that even mathematically possible? (Also, that's a ridiculously huge number of matches to have not been on ladder before.) I feel like this has to be some weird kind of hack, but I've never seen it before.

Also, evidently disconnecting a match may not result in a numbered loss on your record, even if you do lose points and it shows up as a win and loss in both players' profiles respectively.

I've beaten my boy/girl Ringo (リンゴ) twice this season, but he/she's disconnected on their last Pokemon both times and their loss record has remained consistently at two. (I only noticed since we happen to be on the same page of global rankings). I still see the wins in my records, but their number of losses remains unchanged:

upload_2016-6-23_15-27-44.png

http://i.imgur.com/Ew2OoF0.png (loss ratio - unsure if it changed after first win, but definitely did not change after second, even after ranking updates)

upload_2016-6-23_15-29-19.png

upload_2016-6-23_15-29-42.png

Bad form. Just a heads up that this is possible, I guess, if your ego is fragile enough to need to cling to that loss ratio so tightly. (DCing also prevents the opponent from saving a battle video.)

Attachments

Last edited:
Its def possible to break even and keep that rank. If you go on a winning streak to a solid rating, or just a streak where you're consistently going 5 wins to 1 loss or even 3 to 1 or something, then start going on a streak thats more like 1 win to 2 or 3 loses. You could easily end up idling in the 1600s. Especially if you get paired vs higher rated opponents from time to time to boost your points.

Its def possible to break even and keep that rank. If you go on a winning streak to a solid rating, or just a streak where you're consistently going 5 wins to 1 loss or even 3 to 1 or something, then start going on a streak thats more like 1 win to 2 or 3 loses. You could easily end up idling in the 1600s. Especially if you get paired vs higher rated opponents from time to time to boost your points.
I guess that makes sense. Fair enough. That's definitely the highest I've ever seen someone even out.

Anyone know what the hell is up with this?

This guy shot into the U.S. top ten in Triples out of nowhere (mid-1600s is good for top ten because we suck), but uh ... break-even record? Is that even mathematically possible? (Also, that's a ridiculously huge number of matches to have not been on ladder before.) I feel like this has to be some weird kind of hack, but I've never seen it before.
Win/loss ratios are a funny thing. I actually did some math on it for Season 15, when I finished at 1700. My win ratio was around 76% (3 out 4), higher in terms of percentage than the entire Top 15 (aside from Paul, iirc he had the same number of battles, 2-3 more wins, and +110 points) for the US, yet I fell below people with much lower ratios (some even around 55%) with much higher battle counts. Not being on ladder before, is probably just a new save or cart, not that odd. Usually when I'm running even its about 1560's, but that's because I usually get a flood of 1400s that give no points on winning, and chunk 25 points when you get haxxed to death. If he got less-than-abhorrent luck and was beating ~1550 and losing to ~1600, then yeah he'd very realistically gain points overall. Or, beat two or three 1550's, then die to one or two 1600's, he'd also make progress.
S15 started off really bad for me (7/8 loss, 2 wins. Hax galore) but then their luck ran out and I hit a huge win streak, bringing me well out of the 1400 abyss once I broke even. :P

What are the most common cores with charizard x and charizard y respectively? I keep messing up with team preview in predicting which charizard i will face. I know about the most obvious one: hippowdon with char y but not so much for the rest.
hey guys i still got no answer for this question. What are your thoughts?

Super simple question for battle spot go-ers

If I disconnect on the "finding opponent screen" BEFORE I've found an opponent, do I still get recorded with a loss? Stupid question I know, but better safe than sorry :(

This may be a stupid question but how do you guys get good legendaries to use? Is it a lot of soft resetting or do you use clones?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This may be a stupid question but how do you guys get good legendaries to use? Is it a lot of soft resetting or do you use clones?
There's both the Soft Resetting Legendaries guide, and Theorymon's VGC Giveaway thread that you can check out.

And yeah, once someone resets a good legendary basically we clone it a bunch of times and spread it around so everyone can enjoy! But we have to do the resetting first :(

does anyone know the ev spread and set of the articuno that got 2200+? I think I remember seeing a team report posted by the japanese player but I can't find it again nor was able to read it anyways.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
does anyone know the ev spread and set of the articuno that got 2200+? I think I remember seeing a team report posted by the japanese player but I can't find it again nor was able to read it anyways.
I believe you're thinking of the Japan Sand team with Articuno, Gliscor and Bronzong in the back that got up to 2000+ in s11 and s15? That guy didn't list the EVs for any of his Pokemon :(

If you're looking for a spread then perhaps the one in our Articuno Analysis would work.

hey guys i still got no answer for this question. What are your thoughts?
Surprised no one got to you. Anyways, Hippo is Zard's most common teammate. Not sure that's much of a clue as to the form, since I think it works with both. Next most common is Chomp, which makes mw think Zard Y since there's a compounded dragon weak with X and some more problems like Azu and Slowbro. After that is Gren, then Thund which I think is more X for the lessened rock weak. Could be either though really. Aegi I'd guess X cuz Aegi doesn't appreciate sun being up. Really most stuff doesn't give much hints, and very little gives it away definitively until the thing actually mega evos. Zard X is most common(I see Y more on Showdown, but nvm) so if both fit assume it's that.

I believe you're thinking of the Japan Sand team with Articuno, Gliscor and Bronzong in the back that got up to 2000+ in s11 and s15? That guy didn't list the EVs for any of his Pokemon :(

If you're looking for a spread then perhaps the one in our Articuno Analysis would work.
Ah that's a shame. I didn't realize that there was an Articuno analysis done lol. I've been using the BR Articuno that I got from Theorymons giveaway, it has been doing alright but should I reset the evs and ev it like the one in the analysis?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Ah that's a shame. I didn't realize that there was an Articuno analysis done lol. I've been using the BR Articuno that I got from Theorymons giveaway, it has been doing alright but should I reset the evs and ev it like the one in the analysis?
I'm not sure. Theorymon both trained the Articuno and wrote the analysis, so they're likely both good spreads, but depending on what you're trying to do the analysis one is probably better!

Hey guys i am only new just wondering what teams everyone are using i seem to get no where i keep getting beat i use normally
Talonflame
Kangaskan M
Rotam wash
I use the same as somgon sets as i am new but seem to get no where any idea's

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Hey guys i am only new just wondering what teams everyone are using i seem to get no where i keep getting beat i use normally
Talonflame
Kangaskan M
Rotam wash
I use the same as somgon sets as i am new but seem to get no where any idea's
I moved your thread to the Simple Questions thread, please take some time to read the rules and lurk the other threads and resources we have on offer. Perhaps the problem is that you only use 3 Pokemon? If you use a full team of 6 then you should list them as well...

Here is an existing thread for discussing singles: http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...scussion-thread-the-pentagon-is-back.3527960/

And here is one for getting help with your team: http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...on-help-thread-read-post-453-page-19.3500348/

Please provide more information about your team, such as movesets and the other three members, as well as what you're having trouble with!
Thanks for that heres my team

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Will-O-Wisp

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Power-Up Punch
- Double-Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Earthquake

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunderbolt

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 20 Atk / 236 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Gunk Shot
- Low Kick

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

I keep getting over ran by peaple i only can reach to 1520 then go backwards

Thanks for that heres my team

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Will-O-Wisp

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Power-Up Punch
- Double-Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Earthquake

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunderbolt

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 20 Atk / 236 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Gunk Shot
- Low Kick

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

I keep getting over ran by peaple i only can reach to 1520 then go backwards
That can't be your team, you have two life orbs.

Its a very physically offensive team and Mega Mawile without support raises questions.

Is Starmie worth a damn in any BS meta? I just bred one out of boredom on an airplane and am kinda wondering if its of any actual use. Fast Expert Belt set? is Defensive Starmie a thing?

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Is Starmie worth a damn in any BS meta? I just bred one out of boredom on an airplane and am kinda wondering if its of any actual use. Fast Expert Belt set? is Defensive Starmie a thing?
Unfortunately Starmie is kind of outclassed by Greninja, which conveniently also ruins Starmie's day completely along with Aegislash. Starmie can pull off a Sub Minimize set with Leftovers since it's fast enough to Sub on a lot of stuff, but it's not anything amazing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)