Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'll finally see some megas, it seems.

Btw, why is the forum asking me to confirm if I want to like a post?
The software has gained sentience and is judging you.

'You want to like that post? That one? Really?!'

Strictly speaking, they're not 100% stuck. If physically biased Fire/Dragon Alolan Charizard and Psychic/Fighting Alolan Mewtwo showed up, a single stone would work perfectly well. Mega Charizard X becomes Alolan Mega Charizard, while Mega Charizard Y becomes classic Mega Charizard, and ditto for Mewtwo. I'm not saying this is going to happen (I'd consider the Mewtwo option particularly tenuous, since I can't see how they'd justify an Alolan Mewtwo), but it is possible for them to eliminate the need for distinct stones to control the separate Mega forms.
I always thought the Y versions worked better as their mega evolutions than the X ones, too.

Maybe Mewtwo could have just eaten a whole bunch of Alolan pancakes...? :D

This is the literal definition of scraping the bottom of the barrel. Please stop assuming every new piece of information - a powerful new Gen 6 form of a popular Pokémon won the Gen 6 league instead of ash. Shock! Horror! - somehow hints at them scrapping Megas.
I'm not going to discuss that much of the anime because I know I'm just going to start pouring down salt, but a freaking Z-move and a hint of some sort of special bond reveal got freaking shafted at the one time when Ash actually COULD win...it is SOMETHING.

ah that sucks. very surprising there was no info.

... and why did they allow legendaries? that just seems to make it very boring... everyone will use the same pokemon

... and why did they allow legendaries? that just seems to make it very boring... everyone will use the same pokemon
They do it to spice things up. Things being over the top may allow people to tune in just to see how broken it is, otherwise they might have to worry about sun and moon hype removing a lot of the VGC crowd as people start to move on to theorizing on the next metagame.

They do it to spice things up. Things being over the top may allow people to tune in just to see how broken it is, otherwise they might have to worry about sun and moon hype removing a lot of the VGC crowd as people start to move on to theorizing on the next metagame.
I guess that makes sense, but it still seems boring to me. I thought last years Electric squirrel was more hype

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I wont believe it till someone from Smogon verifies it. Remember; No talk about rumors that have not been confirmed. ESPECIALLY from Pokejungle, they make articles on literally every rumor.
KuroBaraHime over on TV Tropes (you know them, they're the resident Japanese translator) verified it. They also mentioned that it could be a mistake since it's labeled as the Mythical section in the site but Mega in the code.

It's still interesting that they would make a mistake like that. It's a bit too bizarre to not be intentional.

They usually change the meta up yearly, with this year's inclusion of legendaries probably being a 20th Anniversary thing, since they've had a format like this only twice in the past (Coincidentally, they were during generations with Remakes) and general assumption is that next year will be Alola Dex Only (First year's formats for both Gen 5 and Gen 6 was limited to the regional dex for each game.)

And what do ya think i've been doing here? :P

EDIT:

Here's the List of teams from top cut. There were several pokemon that were common, but there was some variety.

I only realized just now where Hyper Training will be REALLY useful at - not to bring the IVs of the Pokemon we are going to use on battle to 31, but their parents'. Don't forget the Destiny Knot, and provided both parents are hexaflawless, the chance of getting the right IVs (In the usual case where pentaflawless is enough) in the first attempt rises to a huge 1/6, and even if it isn't, you'd only have to raise one IV, not more.

Last edited:
I only realized just now where Hyper Training will be REALLY useful at - not to bring the IVs of the Pokemon we are going to use on battle to 31, but their parents'. Don't forget the Destiny Knot, and provided both parents are hexaflawless, the chance of getting the right IVs (In the usual case where pentaflawless is enough) in the first attempt rises to a huge 1/6, and even if it isn't, you'd only have to raise one IV, not more.
This will be really useful on those parents with lopsisded chances of female/male ratios of breeding. And of course, being able to have a ditto with 6ivs (if you dont own one already) is essential to boot.

They usually change the meta up yearly, with this year's inclusion of legendaries probably being a 20th Anniversary thing, since they've had a format like this only twice in the past (Coincidentally, they were during generations with Remakes) and general assumption is that next year will be Alola Dex Only (First year's formats for both Gen 5 and Gen 6 was limited to the regional dex for each game.)

And what do ya think i've been doing here? :P

EDIT:

Here's the List of teams from top cut. There were several pokemon that were common, but there was some variety.
A raichu won the tourny? That is surprising.

From the official site's description of Alolan Sandslash

The weight of the ice that covers its body makes these Alolan Sandslash heavier than normal Sandslash, and this causes them to be slower. Yet in snow fields and on ice, they move by creating a path with their claws, and so they’re able to move with swiftness.
The sprays of snow kicked up by Alolan Sandslash’s movements are so beautiful that many photographers head for the snowy peaks to capture the moment.
Please GF don't be trolling with this text and give this mon a hidden ability that doubles its speed in Hail.
Kanto Sandslash gets Sand Rush as its HA and has Sand Veil as its ordinary ability. The Alolan form gets the Hail equivalent of Sand Veil, Snow Cloak, and hopefully it knows how to ski.
Finally getting offensive Hail would be welcome especially since Ice/Steel hits all the offensive answers to Dragon - Ice, Dragon, and Fairy - SE while resisting them all.
The change to weather abilities' duration has greatly weakened Hail stall so the style really needs something new for a chance at relevance.

Wait, they've had two legendary formats in the past? When was the second one? I only remember HG/SS.
Apparently I misremembered pretty heavily about when VGC started and had thought there were tournaments back during Gen 3 while the first one was in 2009.

So no. this is the second time they've had a legendary format.
EDIT: apparently they did have some kinda tournament thing with the Journey Across America tour for the 10th anniversary that had allowed legendaries. Not the same thing as VGC though.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Kinda late saying this+not read the thread to know whether it's been said yet, but Tapu Koko+Raichu-Alola sounds like a completely terrifying combination. Not only do you get elecspam, but Surge Surfer is basically Swift Swim/Chlorophyll/Sand Rush and Electric Terrain gives Raichu a free Choice Band/Specs boost on it's Electric-type STAB similar to sun and rain on their respective types.

Kinda late saying this+not read the thread to know whether it's been said yet, but Tapu Koko+Raichu-Alola sounds like a completely terrifying combination. Not only do you get elecspam, but Surge Surfer is basically Swift Swim/Chlorophyll/Sand Rush and Electric Terrain gives Raichu a free Choice Band/Specs boost on it's Electric-type STAB similar to sun and rain on their respective types.
Oh believe me, it's been discussed.

The problem with these competitive guesses is that we really don't know until put into practice. And while we can guess how any one new competitive element can be introduced into the old-metagame, it's much harder to introduce 10+ new ones and have them fight for the top of the ladder highlander style.

And we've already had several cries of THIS WILL BREAK THE GAME?! so far, with Stakeout, Dazzle, Z-moves, Disguise, etc. We just don't know yet.

Still, I'm excited that the other "weather" moves are getting some love, and hopeful that Grassy and Misty terrain will get their own setters too (along with other forgotten field changes, like Trick Room, Magic Room, Wonder Room, and Gravity). But that would be wish listing.

Never got to comment on the new crab-mon, but I really like him. Finally a new pure fighting type for me to get behind (I don't like beware). Some people don't like his lazy eye, but for me it gives him a Rocky Balboa look.

I've been imagining how you could pair those two up with Politoed for 100% accurate, double STAB Thunders on a twice as fast Raichu for Battle [Facility Name Here] Triples.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Looks like some footage slipped quietly beneath us! You can actually get hired once a day to help toss pyukumuku back into the water for 20,000 Poke. Not a bad summer job, if I say so myself!

1. This looks to be taking place on the volcanic island's beach.
2. Kind of disappointed there isn't a quick cutscene of you throwing it back into the water. Well, actually I wanted the mini-game to be you flinging the things back into the water via a giant slingshot or something.
3. There seems to be some pulsating dark spots on the beach, guessing wild encounter spots? Or maybe a spot you can use Stoutland to sniff something as we did see a NPC riding one on the other end of the beach.
4. 20k seems like a lot for just throwing a few Pyukumuku back, even if it is once per day (maybe it'll turn out to be once per week, though even then that's 20k the first time you play it which would probably be as soon as you get access to the island).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)