SPOILERS! Pokemon Sun and Moon Demo Discussion

I guess they're making this for four year olds? I mean, I was seven or eight or so when RB came out and didn't need to be told what move was effective and what wasn't. Had to figure that on our own, especially for the first few gyms and caves.

They have been dumbing the games down for years: grinding is no longer a thing, making there be no difficulty curve in the game. Getting rid of HMs and showing type effectiveness is just the nail on the head here...

My little brother (10) has been playing for like 4 years and doesn't know the type matchups or even the types of most Pokemon cause the games are so easy they don't need to learn them. I remember knowing practically all of them by the time I was 5...

They have been dumbing the games down for years: grinding is no longer a thing, making there be no difficulty curve in the game. Getting rid of HMs and showing type effectiveness is just the nail on the head here...

My little brother (10) has been playing for like 4 years and doesn't know the type matchups or even the types of most Pokemon cause the games are so easy they don't need to learn them. I remember knowing practically all of them by the time I was 5...
To be fair, the type matchups aren't immediately known in-game. You have to test out the moves on that Pokemon species first.

Huh? *tries to do that* Well, I guess trying to do things you wouldn't normally do also brings discoveries.

By the way, I gave up on the old man at Ten Carat Hill. I can't trigger his appearance no matter how many times I reset. To the people that have triggered it: What did you do before speaking to him?

Huh? *tries to do that* Well, I guess trying to do things you wouldn't normally do also brings discoveries.

By the way, I gave up on the old man at Ten Carat Hill. I can't trigger his appearance no matter how many times I reset. To the people that have triggered it: What did you do before speaking to him?
I just completed the trial, talked to the short-haired person near the Slowpoke in the road, traveled to the end of Mahalo Trail, and there he was, hiding behind a tiki. Cue automatic dialogue sequence.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I guess they're making this for four year olds? I mean, I was seven or eight or so when RB came out and didn't need to be told what move was effective and what wasn't. Had to figure that on our own, especially for the first few gyms and caves.
Yes, but since then there have become roughly six times as many Pokémon to keep track of. Easy enough to remember if you're introduced to them gradually over many years, but dump 900 Pokémon (including Formes and Megas, we're pretty close to that number) into the lap of a six-year-old, and he'd have to be a bit of a prodigy to remember the typing of them all.

Yes, but since then there have become roughly six times as many Pokémon to keep track of. Easy enough to remember if you're introduced to them gradually over many years, but dump 900 Pokémon (including Formes and Megas, we're pretty close to that number) into the lap of a six-year-old, and he'd have to be a bit of a progedy to remember the typing of them all.
That's the exact thing. I can't see why it's so annoying. People are acting like knowing by heart what kind of move is effective against each kind of Pokémon makes them something better, something superior, part of a secret cult that will now be breached because all the puny trainers can know exactly what is effective and what's not by looking at the move after defeating a Pokémon for the first time.

Sorry, but this is not dumbing down. This is leveling the field.

Yes, but since then there have become roughly six times as many Pokémon to keep track of. Easy enough to remember if you're introduced to them gradually over many years, but dump 900 Pokémon (including Formes and Megas, we're pretty close to that number) into the lap of a six-year-old, and he'd have to be a bit of a progedy to remember the typing of them all.
If two year olds are able to load up their favorite apps on smart phones, then a kid a few years older can make good progress learning the type system of Pokemon. Kids are smart. And it's not like they stuff all 3000 mons in the main game. BW kept it to just 5th gens in the base, remember? They should encourage discovery, not the opposite.

Except there aren't 800 variables.

There are 14 types put together in groups of 2 or even 1,then an ability that might interact with the moves, At best any kid will be facing 3 variables thanks to stuff like levitate or thick fat but this isn't tied to the number of Pokémon, it is tied to the specific traits of a species.

I'm going to laugh my arse off is levitate props the se on ground moves for maximum trolling.

Except there aren't 800 variables.
There are 324 possible type combinations in the game. Which is still a lot considering some type combinations of Pokemon are not obvious, most unlike the Pokemon of the games many of us grew up with.

Let me give a simple example: Flygon. Which part of it tells us it's a part-Ground-type Pokemon with Levitate? How many of us got caught off-guard really hard?

In the end of the day, it does not harm us in the slightest.

Last edited:
There are 324 possible type combinations in the game. Which is still a lot considering some type combinations of Pokemon are not obvious, most unlike the Pokemon of the games many of us grew up with.
I doubt it's 324, we can't have water/water, and water/ground or ground water are basically the same, the number with permutations might actually be close to 120 or something. Then the abilities.

I don't care about the SE effective part anymore since I can just tutor my newbie friends to not just spam the Super Effective move. What I do care is how they put all the attack moves and the fight button at the right of the screen instead of the center like the convenient way that's been like it for 10 years.

I don't care about the SE effective part anymore since I can just tutor my newbie friends to not just spam the Super Effective move. What I do care is how they put all the attack moves and the fight button at the right of the screen instead of the center like the convenient way that's been like it for 10 years.
Because in the center they show stat raises and drops, and it would be really inconvenient on the side. Why does no one remember this from E3?

They are trying to emulate the mobile games of early 2k interfaces, in the West most where small and hard to click... But in Japan they made them big an festive to estimulate the brain reward response, they also tied them to the right with options to the left to make them easier to read and catch the japanese reading eye faster.

It was until 2010 that we actually got better models for mobile gaming with big centric action button with options to the left in order to emulate consoles and give small bits of info like in console gaming.

Pokémon is going for the full circle for going for the mid 2k net design early Mobile design instead of realizing that the western center option is actually more popular for convenience over reward stimulus on a broader market.

Because in the center they show stat raises and drops, and it would be really inconvenient on the side. Why does no one remember this from E3?
That isn't convenient, check other mobile games on top charts on worldwide market, then check Japan only net and mobile, the mobile market actually copied the western recently to have a better display.

I personally don't care at all about the whole supereffective/ineffective function, since most of the times I just click the best move automatically.

However, I would have greatly appreciated that function in the past. There have been plenty of times in which I have been fooled by the Pokemon's appearance and ended up clicking the wrong move, taking big damage or losing a Pokemon in the process. For example, I had lost my Quilava to Sudowoodo in Pokemon Silver because I thought it was a Grass-type, and I ended up receiving a Rock Throw on the face.

Perhaps us seasoned Trainers who know about type matchups and like trial-and-error may find the function annoying, but I bet younger kids appreciate this information much more.

Most of the time i don't notice the type effectiveness on the moves anyways. The text doesn't seem to stand out that much. And if we're talking about people and types: I used Night Slash on a Hakamo-o becuase i forgot that it wasn't just Dragon and had thought that the Fighting typing was added to the final stage, not the middle one. So yes, it can come in handy if you pay attention to it. Otherwise it doesn't seem that intrusive and can be handy since in the main story you probably will go for the super effective attack if possible anyways and it helps with any memory problems you may have.

I'm kind of confused, allegedly this new put everything in the left and the right somehow puts more stimulus into our brain and is thus better?

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Besides, there are people who are new to Pokemon. If this is their first game there's no way they will know the type chart, much less the typing of the mons they will face. The little text is probably for these people who are only starting

I personally don't care at all about the whole supereffective/ineffective function, since most of the times I just click the best move automatically.

However, I would have greatly appreciated that function in the past. There have been plenty of times in which I have been fooled by the Pokemon's appearance and ended up clicking the wrong move, taking big damage or losing a Pokemon in the process. For example, I had lost my Quilava to Sudowoodo in Pokemon Silver because I thought it was a Grass-type, and I ended up receiving a Rock Throw on the face.

Perhaps us seasoned Trainers who know about type matchups and like trial-and-error may find the function annoying, but I bet younger kids appreciate this information much more.
This game doesn't punish players that hard when you lose a pokemon or even faint so it is completely fine to be caught off-guard by opposing pokemon because you guessed it's typing wrong or something (on that note Sudowodoo's gimmick revolves around that it's a rock type disguised as a grass type, they cover each other surprisingly well).

My main concern for younger player when handing over additional information is that it's depriving them of a fundamental challenge within a game that revolves around a rock-paper-scissor balance system. One of the great fun I had with the game was the experience of exploring and discovering new pokemon and how to beat and/or capture them, sure I had no idea how to beat something like Gligar at first but despite my frustration I still loved playing it and made sure I'd never forget how to beat said mons. And as long as the game is fun you shouldn't mind the difficulty of the game unless it becomes something ridiculous but even the older games were never that hard per say. I know I can never experience that feeling again as a kid where after a long and rich trial-and-error journey to finally become a pokemon champion but that feeling was great because I felt like I lived and earned it. I know some minor details aren't gonna change a whole lot but personally I think it is best you play the game with least amount of information as possible and let you, the player, discover as much as you can for yourself.

This game doesn't punish players that hard when you lose a pokemon or even faint so it is completely fine to be caught off-guard by opposing pokemon because you guessed it's typing wrong or something (on that note Sudowodoo's gimmick revolves around that it's a rock type disguised as a grass type, they cover each other surprisingly well).

My main concern for younger player when handing over additional information is that it's depriving them of a fundamental challenge within a game that revolves around a rock-paper-scissor balance system. One of the great fun I had with the game was the experience of exploring and discovering new pokemon and how to beat and/or capture them, sure I had no idea how to beat something like Gligar at first but despite my frustration I still loved playing it and made sure I'd never forget how to beat said mons. And as long as the game is fun you shouldn't mind the difficulty of the game unless it becomes something ridiculous but even the older games were never that hard per say. I know I can never experience that feeling again as a kid where after a long and rich trial-and-error journey to finally become a pokemon champion but that feeling was great because I felt like I lived and earned it. I know some minor details aren't gonna change a whole lot but personally I think it is best you play the game with least amount of information as possible and let you, the player, discover as much as you can for yourself.
It only appears once you have successfully beaten that pokemon.

So you do still get that moment of wonder wondering what the fuck this new pokemon is when you first see it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)