The Suicide Sweeper...

Well, this set wasn't listed in the analysis....

I was going through old advance analysis and I came accross the suicide bomber, posted in this thread http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11049. It says it is "guarenteed to take out Suicune, Milotic, and Swampert." I applied that same idea to the painfully overused, and super-broken Garchomp, in an attempt to find a new and exciting way to sweep.

The Set:

Garchomp @ Salac Berry
Ability: Sand Veil
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 76 Attack / 252 Speed / 180 Special Defense
*Earthquake
*Outrage / Dragon Claw
*Fire Fang
*Swords Dance

Now, this is a typical bread and butter Garchomp set, with a little twist. For starters, adamant nature helps make up the slack lost from the EVs, giving you 347 attack. With these 180 Special Defense EVs, you get 250 special defense, which guarentees that Vaporeon (273 Special Attack) and anything less will fail to OHKO with Ice Beam. They will, however activate the Salac Berry, giving you the speed of scarfchomp.

The beauty of this set is that unlike the Suicide bomber from last generation, Swords Dance already gives you +2 attack, so when the counter comes in, you SD on the switch, 2HKO the counter while they activate your salac and you can sweep with +2 attack and +1 speed.

It should look like this:

switched in Slowbro!
Garchomp used Swords Dance!
Garchomp used Earthquake!
Slowbro used Ice Beam!
Garchomp's Salac Berry raised it's speed!
Garchomp used Earthquake / Outrage!
Slowbro fainted.

I haven't run offical damage calcs yet, but I've tested it and it's swept quite a few teams. Be sure to weed out priority move pokemon first.
My tests have pit Garchomp up against Hippowdon 3 times, all of which the second Earthquake fell short of 2HKO by 1-3%, meaning that outrage on the 2nd volley should put it away. Also to note that the hippos were all at full health, meaning a layer of spikes and he's gone. Hippowdon is undoubtedly the toughest opponent it will face.

If your opponent does have a priority move left, you at least get the satisfaction of taking a physical wall or bulky water down, opening up the floor for a fellow physical sweeper to sweep (cough T-Tar cough) Opinions?

Looks really deadly when everything falls in place. Basically a more flexible lategame sweeper set, right? Extremespeed Lucario is probably the biggest threat since it's so common and most people use that as a lategame sweeper too.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
176 SpD EVs are enough to get to 250 SpD, so you can move 4 SpD EVs to Atk. And actually it gets to 347 Atk stat with 80 EVs in Atk, not 76, so I think you just made a mistake there.

This is a good set. It should be worthy of consideration. I've always said that the 108/85 defenses are too good for something with 102 Speed.

It's more of a different way of spreading EVs than an actual new set, though the concept of using it is obviously what makes it thread-worthy. This was exactly what people waaay back were whining about back then: not only does it hurt so much that very few Pokemon can actually live to Ice Beam it, but it may have configured its EVs so that you can't even OHKO it with a 4x effective move.

I don't think Fire Fang is set in stone - the things its meant for are 2HKOed, which is useless if you have Salac Berry and they are at full health. So that means you either need to weaken them (which is tough with Roosting Skarmory) or you will end up not sweeping. Therefore, I'd say both Dragon Claw and Outrage could be used, albeit a Dragon move + Fire Fang may still be the preferred option.

76 Atk EV Postitive Garchomp +2 Earthquake on a 252/252 Positive Vaporeon: 67.03% - 78.88%
76 Atk EV Postitive Garchomp +2 Earthquake on a 252/252 Positive Suicune: 51.49% - 60.64%
76 Atk EV Postitive Garchomp +2 Earthquake on a 252/252 Positive Slowbro: 54.31% - 63.96%
76 Atk EV Postitive Garchomp +2 Earthquake on a 148/228 Positive Milotic: 73.64% - 86.68%
76 Atk EV Postitive Garchomp +2 Earthquake on a 148/228 Positive Milotic (Marvel Scale): 49.46% - 58.15%
76 Atk EV Postitive Garchomp +2 Earthquake on a 240/216 Positive Swampert: 62.84% - 74.06%

76 Atk EV Postitive Garchomp +2 Outrage on a 252/252 Positive Vaporeon: 80.39% - 94.61%
76 Atk EV Postitive Garchomp +2 Outrage on a 252/252 Positive Suicune: 61.63% - 72.52%
76 Atk EV Postitive Garchomp +2 Outrage on a 252/252 Positive Slowbro: 65.23% - 76.65%
76 Atk EV Postitive Garchomp +2 Outrage on a 148/228 Positive Milotic: 88.32% - 103.80%
76 Atk EV Postitive Garchomp +2 Outrage on a 148/228 Positive Milotic (Marvel Scale): 58.97% - 69.57%
76 Atk EV Postitive Garchomp +2 Outrage on a 240/216 Positive Swampert: 75.31% - 88.53%

There you go. At least there are some of your Bulky Waters to get a feel of where it's at.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In theory, that set works fucking well with Tyranitar.

I just got owned abit ago by a leading Tyranitar, to reveal a hidden SBSDLO Garchomp at the end that teared my team apart (what was left of it, though, there was alot of my team left).

It should look like this:

switched in Slowbro!
Garchomp used Earthquake!
Slowbro used Ice Beam!
Slowbro fainted.
Code:
switched in Slowbro!

[I]Garchomp used [B]Swords Dance[/B]![/I]
Slowbro used Ice Beam!

Slowbro fainted.
Seems strictly better...

Oh goody, one more tool to add to garchomp's already devastating list. I commend you for the nice set, clearly you put some time in it, but did we really need another way for him to sweep?

Code:
switched in Slowbro!

[I]Garchomp used [B]Swords Dance[/B]![/I]
Slowbro used Ice Beam!

Slowbro fainted.
Seems strictly better...
Not really. Slowbro can take a double Swords Danced Earthquake. Has a small chance to live through Outrage tho, but an once Swords Danced Earthquake is a definite 2HKO.

This is a fantastic idea and I am surprised it hasn't been thought up of before. Another setslike this from RSE is the DD Tyranitar with Double-Edge and Leichi berry. There might have been another DE set that utilized the power of the berries, but I can't seem to remember.

Anyways, this set just further proves how amazing Garchomp is, if anything too amazing. Two Garchomp counters may need to be considered now >_<.

Swithced into Slowbro.
Garchomp used Swords Dance.
Slowbro used Ice Beam. Yache Berry weaked Ice power.
Garchomp used Outrage. Slowbro fainted.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Two Garchomp counters may need to be considered now >_<.
There isn't even a solid counter, a team that prepairs for Garchomp usually has 2 or 3 Pokemon that can somewhat counter it.

Not only is this Pokemon great for cleaning up, it can "break stall" with the Fire Fang encrypted on the set.

Swithced into Slowbro.
Slowbro used Ice Beam. Yache Berry weaked Ice power.
Garchomp used Outrage. Slowbro fainted.
Then you're left wide open to Starmie/Weavile/Raikou/Jolteon/Deoxys-E/whatever to come in and OHKO.

to be honest i was waiting for someone to use garchomp above average defensives for a set and ev spread like this

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Call back Garchomp. After, heal it with Wish.
did you forget that outrage locks you into the move for at least two turns or did you just not know that

besides, yache is already in the analysis, this set is different which is ther point and actually viable

Actually looks deadly on paper, but is it good in practice. I think that it may be a little too situational, as Mammoswine still OHKO's with Ice Shard, but it may work. Have you done any testing, and how does it work? I may have to try it.

^^^^ I've tested it in practice. It always manages to take out any physical wall, except skarm, who takes a ton of damage and whirlwinds you away. I use it in tandem with DD Tyranitar, who cleans the floor after their wall / bulky water is gone.

Originally Posted by Fat Blaziken 57
Then you're left wide open to Starmie/Weavile/Raikou/Jolteon/Deoxys-E/whatever to come in and OHKO.
You do realize that when the salac activates, you erase Starmie / Raikou / and Jolteon away from your list of worries. That's the point behind the set. It actually can use those three to set up, coming in a full health. Hidden Power: Ice and Ice Beam will fail to KO, and the floor is open for a garchomp sweep. The set was mainly made for physical wall / bulky water rape, as they all are normally designed to counter Garchomp. Besides, if mamoswine comes in on the switch, what kind of idiot would pick him as set-up fodder? Just switch out.

Oh goody, one more tool to add to garchomp's already devastating list. I commend you for the nice set, clearly you put some time in it, but did we really need another way for him to sweep?
If you want to get rid of Garchomp, the best way would be to introduce as many effective new sets as possible to increase its brokenness.

I like this idea a lot. If I were using it I'd probably put less in speed and more in attack. Outspeeding choice users is nice, but the only stuff you need ALL that speed for is other Garchomps with choice scarf, which is just a luck game anyway, or the very rare Salamence/Flygon scarfers, or any other random base 100s who I hardly ever see with scarf. You're not going to outspeed Gengar anyway. I might even go as low as just getting up to 406 to outspeed scarf Hera and dragon dancers trying to get up to 405 and whatnot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)