CAP 2 Smogon "Create a Pokemon" Part Deux: Poll 6a

What should our new Pokemon look like?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the mentioning of the D&D mummies earlier, and was thinking about how their stats are related, how good spec def, works much like strong magical immunity and such. As often as I hate seeing the ability, with the mummy, ugh, pressure sounds good. It tanks, it absorbs power, ectera.
This also feels bad saying, but Sand Veil? Giving it immunity to sandstorms (its a freaking mummy), it would be one of the few pokes that I think it would be just on. Giving it to garchomp, seriously, was almost a joke of why not make this shark even sillier than it already is...But you might see the mummy hanging out next to a Cacturn, and it would look approperate, so why not sand stream.
Both Sand Veil and Sandstream sound nice. I kind of want to save the Sandstreamer for our Gen for a Steel type, since a Ground and a Rock Sandstreamer both exist. Both Sand Veil actually sounds really nice.

My thoughts ...

Mummy: A simple, yet effective design that could work fairly well. For abilities, Insomnia would probably be my first choice, and Immunity could work, but something unique like Dry Skin could work, as well. It would help it have a huge weakness in Infernape while letting it simultaneously counter Gyarados. It already counters Heracross and, in some cases, Tyranitar. It already resists Stone Edge from Gyarados, and soaking up any Waterfalls would be a nice little ability. Yet, it would not be overpowered -- Infernape, Heatran, and anything with a Fire-typed attack would destroy it. While it gets another immunity in Water, it gets a needed added weakness to accompany Ghost, Flying, and Psychic.

As much as they fit, Immunity and Insomnia aren't too original. Of course, pairing the two together is fun, but doesn't really help, since Ghost/Fight loses to most Hypnosis users (basically it works against Grass types and Breloom). Dry Skin + Sand Veil would be a nice ability combo. And to those who say Mummy's like the sun, they usually stay inside of the pyramid, dungeon, etc. Water Absorbing is harder to explain, but Pyramids and stuff get damp on the inside.

Djinn: I love the design, but it would need some tweaking in the spriting process to become more Pokemon-esque. For abilities, Vital Spirit would undoubtedly be my top choice. Thick Fat might not be a bad idea, either. Immunity works here, too, as does Clear Body. Another thing to think about is Forewarn, being a Genie, and all. Hustle, being very strong without eyes, could also work.

Forewarn and Hustle sound nice. Clear Body + Bulk Up removes the normal Flying type with Intimidate counters. Immunity sounds really bland, and muscles do not equal fat.

Marionette: Simply too Banette-esque for me, and doesn't really fit the base statistics. The first ability that screamed out to be was Limber.

Agreeing with Limber. Another idea I had for it was Rough Skin, but if it does win, I think we would remove the Spikes on the handle, so that doesn't really fit anymore.

And to those complaining about the art. I choose what I felt was the best piece of art. I'm sorry if you had an amazing design, if you couldn't draw it on the same level as the other submitters, I didn't select you. And trust me, most people would overlook pixel art when they see nice hand drawn and rendered work. Yes it's biased, but would you rather me say "Here is the link to the art thread, vote for what you want from here"? Plus, the results would most likely be the same.

I'm a fan of Dry Skin and Syncronise but most of all Insomnia would be a cool choice, as FFS sugested.
Oy, I was the first one to suggest Insomnia way back in the art thread when we were talking about a Special Intimidate for Kana *pout*

Sand Stream would be a little counter-productive on the Mummy, since unlike Sand Veil it doesn't automatically grant sandstorm immunity. Also, I want to see that Steel Sand Streamer.

Nice sprites, TaB. The pose looks kind of awkward to me, though. Could you try doing the one it has in KoA's picture?

Sand Stream would be a little counter-productive on the Mummy, since unlike Sand Veil it doesn't automatically grant sandstorm immunity. Also, I want to see that Steel Sand Streamer.
Hm.. I don't think this has ever been tested. It should be simple though. Skill Swap or Trace Sandstream (unlikely to happen in Standard play since Gardevoir and Porygon 2 don't like TTar or Hippo).

I was thinking if the Mummy wins you could come up with a custom trait something like "Curse of Anubis" isn't affected by curse meaning that it doesn't lose half of it life when it uses curse.Making the only ghost that could use Curse and Mean Look effectively which could be its gimmick.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hm.. I don't think this has ever been tested. It should be simple though. Skill Swap or Trace Sandstream (unlikely to happen in Standard play since Gardevoir and Porygon 2 don't like TTar or Hippo).
Catune has sand veil and is a grass/dark, it is imune to sandstorm. so i assume sandstream does the same.

i dont want it to have sand veil, people are complaining about haxchomp and this with a set like sub/bulk up/ghost attack/fighting attack with max sp. defence and attack would be EXTREMELY anoying. we can find a more interesting/less cheap ability.

and lol at lucks blatent yu-gi-oh reference.

finally voted mummy.

tea and blue's sprites look pretty awesome btw.

and saying i dont think sandstream...sandveil maybe...but not sandstream, just doesn't make sense with the typing.

finally voted mummy.

and saying i dont think sandstream...sandveil maybe...but not sandstream, just doesn't make sense with the typing.
You must not have watch the movie with Brendon Frasier

and lol at lucks blatent yu-gi-oh reference.
It was unintentionally done. I need name played on curse aspect of mummies.I was going to use Osiris,Hoth or Amon Ra but the death god just work better.

lol...yeah, ok i saw the mummy...but really, this is a ghost/fighting pokemon...if it had been ghost/ground or ghost/steel or ghost/rock, any of which would be cool types, i'd be all for it. as it is though, it doesn't make sense. sand veil would, due to mummies being most famous for their existence in egypt. but no, it doesn't make sense with this typing.

and pokemon trumps brendan frasier any day.

And to those complaining about the art. I choose what I felt was the best piece of art. I'm sorry if you had an amazing design, if you couldn't draw it on the same level as the other submitters, I didn't select you. And trust me, most people would overlook pixel art when they see nice hand drawn and rendered work. Yes it's biased, but would you rather me say "Here is the link to the art thread, vote for what you want from here"? Plus, the results would most likely be the same.
Problem is that the hand drawn stuff is nearly impossible to sprite well. While pixel art is far far easier.
Also when I posted pixel art nobody complained about that.

Oh and how do you know that the results would be the same? Have you tested it before with all the artwork?

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Problem is that the hand drawn stuff is nearly impossible to sprite well. While pixel art is far far easier.
*Brings up Syclant design arguments.

All of the posted designs in the art thread can easily be transferred to sprites, it depends on the skill of the spriter.

I'd say your design was the one least likely to be transferable to pixel form though, it was big and clunky and had alot going on at once. I could compare it to Giratina.

Just my two cents.

Regarding the currently-winning mummy design...I see one big problem with it. FSS's stat spread is very obviously designed for Bulk Up to be it's primary set (Enough speed that it can beat several slower pokemon without investment but not enough that it can make much use of it beyond that? Check. Enough attack to be a threat while boosted, but not enough to really run a CB set or such effectively? Check. High special defense? Check).

There's one big point that many people voting seem to have overlooked, however.

Mummies are made of rotting, decaying flesh, not muscles!

Giving a mummy pokemon Bulk Up would be like giving Primeape Calm Mind. It'd be like giving Chansey Nasty Plot. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. It's not like that's stopped Game Freak from doing things like that before (hiya, armless Focus Punching Togekiss!), but we should avoid it if all possible.

Also when I posted pixel art nobody complained about that.

Oh and how do you know that the results would be the same? Have you tested it before with all the artwork?
KOA stuff and doug doug simple look better than other drawings.It is that simple.I look the art thread several times and i could not remember what your stuff look like so i went back and checked.My advice in the future if you present something present it like was the final product and that is me being nice.

I voted for Marionette, because I hadn't read the thread, nor previous threads. If I had realized it was supposed to be slow and bulky, I wouldn't have voted for it (yes... I missed the stats when I read through it the first time).

If I could redo my vote, I'd go with the Mummy. While Djinn might seem bulkier, it looks more like a Psychic/Fighting Pokemon than a Ghost/Fighting one. The whole premise of a Genie seems to fit with a Psychic more than a Ghost.

I like the idea of both Dry Skin and Sand Veil on the Mummy, but don't really like the idea of Insomnia. The Mummy always seems to be sleeping in the movies, so it's not like it can't sleep. Using Zelda or DnD as a reference, the first two abilities work well, as would an Immunity that still allowed Burn.

Mummies are eternal guardians of tombs, pyramids and other such places of interment. Insomnia reflects this ever-vigilant aspect.
That really seems more like Inner Focus (eternal devotion) or Steadfast (keeps going and going).

Though Vital Spirit has a more applicable name in my opinion for what you're wanting it to mean (I know it does the same thing, but it conveys the message better).

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Regarding the currently-winning mummy design...I see one big problem with it. FSS's stat spread is very obviously designed for Bulk Up to be it's primary set (Enough speed that it can beat several slower pokemon without investment but not enough that it can make much use of it beyond that? Check. Enough attack to be a threat while boosted, but not enough to really run a CB set or such effectively? Check. High special defense? Check).

There's one big point that many people voting seem to have overlooked, however.

Mummies are made of rotting, decaying flesh, not muscles!

Giving a mummy pokemon Bulk Up would be like giving Primeape Calm Mind. It'd be like giving Chansey Nasty Plot. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. It's not like that's stopped Game Freak from doing things like that before (hiya, armless Focus Punching Togekiss!), but we should avoid it if all possible.
And Steelix is supposed to be made of Steel but it doesn't weigh several tons, like a 30 foot long pile of steel would. It's called creative license. There's pretty much nothing stopping us from putting in a dex entry like:

"MUMRA maintains its mummified body by reinforcing it's chi with shadow energy. When it feeds, it sucks the life force out of opponents and adds their soul energy to its own."

Creative license is basically what allows you to do anything in pokemon.

The Djinn is easily the most original of the three, not to mention it's the only one of the three that fits the role of what this Pokemon is supposed to do. Amazingly enough though, it's in third place. People should be reading things before voting!

Very nicely done, Doug. You have my vote. Let's hope these others wake up a bit.

The Djinn is easily the most original of the three, not to mention it's the only one of the three that fits the role of what this Pokemon is supposed to do. Amazingly enough though, it's in third place. People should be reading things before voting!

Very nicely done, Doug. You have my vote. Let's hope these others wake up a bit.
Even if I had read before voting, I'd have voted for the Mummy instead of Marionette. Like I said before, Djinn seems too much like a Psychic Pokemon to fight Ghost/Fighting in my opinion.

I agree completely, in addition to the poster who said the mummy's Fighting type is garbage (kung-fu mummies? rofl, Ghost/Dark, Ghost/Ground, Ghost/Rock would infinitely suit it a lot better)

The Djinn is really the only one of the three ideas (a mummy, genie, and a marionette) that makes sense.

And about creative licensing, why don't I just make a Fire Hydrant with a Fire/Ground typing while I'm at it. I mean, they're often used in association with Fire and and they're connected to the Ground right? See how easy it is to make a pokemon fit any kind of description, no matter how much it doesn't make sense? I think people are going a little to "overboard" on the creative licensing part. Yeah, the mummy sounds/looks cool, but the Djinn just SCREAMS pick me at the typing and Stat spread.

"MUMRA maintains its mummified body by reinforcing it's chi with shadow energy. When it feeds, it sucks the life force out of opponents and adds their soul energy to its own."
Mum-Ra!! It's the first thing I thought when I saw the design, heh. A pity it's quite copyrighted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)