Not-Fully-Evolved 'mons in UU/NU

Pure win right there. There really aren't that many Dragons in UU and NU, and Gabite really pwns. Yes, Altaria has better defenses. However, with unresisted STAB's and a Choice Scarf, Gabite doesn't even have to take a returning blow. It's helped me in many UU battles.

And just to compare Gabite's attacking potential with the other possible Dragons:

(Stats are placed in Atk/Spe order)

90/82, unresisted STAB's, highest speed out of of all of these Dragons, SR resist

70/80, best defenses, second-fastest, SR-weak

70/70, SR resist, Levitate

95/50, Strongest attack but hindered by dreadful speed, SR neutral, good Defense

I've been experimenting with Pupitar and Dragonair in UU, with mixed results. Shed Rest works on both of them, and with Dragon Dance support both can be devastating...if they can switch in. Sorta lowish defences...meh...

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just posting to point out that Choice Band or Sub Rhydon is ridiculously viable.

It's pretty much the best possible response to Crobat. Physical Rock is an amazing type in UU right now, especially with STAB Ground to back it up. High Defense means that it's not bothered much at all by attacks, and it can come in on Honchkrow Drill Pecks and whatnot, Sub up, and start doing crazy shit to the metagame. It hits damn hard and you should use it.

I personally use Shuppet as a Trick Room set-up pokemon due to its low defenses (44/35/33). It basically takes the position of Banette. Use Trick Room, survive with Focus Sash and then use Destiny Bond. Or you can mess with their team through its decent movepool including Will-O-Wisp, Taunt, Knock-Off, ThunderWave, Trick, and Sucker Punch. Im surprised that Shuppet hasn't already been mentioned.

I personally use Shuppet as a Trick Room set-up pokemon due to its low defenses (44/35/33). It basically takes the position of Banette. Use Trick Room, survive with Focus Sash and then use Destiny Bond. Or you can mess with their team through its decent movepool including Will-O-Wisp, Taunt, Knock-Off, ThunderWave, Trick, and Sucker Punch. Im surprised that Shuppet hasn't already been mentioned.
Banette does the same thing. It's NU and can do other things than JUST suicide.

Kadabra is a beast in UU/NU. He still runs 120 s.att and 105 speed, and he's helped greatly by the fact that priority attacks aren't *quite* as common in the lower tiers.

Kadabra is a beast in UU/NU. He still runs 120 s.att and 105 speed, and he's helped greatly by the fact that priority attacks aren't *quite* as common in the lower tiers.
Kadabra is useful and viable in NU. I'd say in UU he suffers trouble because he's walled by Chansey, Registeel, and Altaria and is completely dominated by Honchkrow, who are all extremely common.

Regarding Trapinch, I found its best use is in taking out Steelix, which it can do 100% of the time (since no one uses Curselix or CBlix). It can also reliably weaken Registeel and Spiritomb, if not taking them out full stop with prediction, opening up a Linoone sweep. Use it with a U-turning lure like Swellow or Scyther.

About Rhydon, I find it to be slightly inferior to Armaldo in NU. Armaldo loses STAB Earthquake and has an SR weak, but makes up for it with a tougher SpD and better defensive typing.

Vibrava looks good. Even with 50 in every other stat, 70 attack and speed isn't something to laughed at, especialy if he is baton passed a couple attack and speed boost. Trapinch also looks good. I used to use him on an OU team, and he did rather well, destroying Flailers and low HP Pokemon. The only bad thing is that it is frail and slow. Trick Room might not be worth it.

Since when is 70atk and speed good...? And really, every pokemon is good after being passed speed and attack boosts (see: Marowak)

The NFE I'm using in NU is Shelgon, but more as a physical wall than an attacker, it does get wish you know ;D

Not sure if it is mentioned but Dusclops is still and excellent tank/wall. I have used Gligar as a tank, and in my experience is pretty good. Especially with fewer ice attacks being used in UU/NU. I have never tested it but Machoke and Piolswine could fit right in to a NU, or even a UU team.

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Not sure if it is mentioned but Dusclops is still and excellent tank/wall. I have used Gligar as a tank, and in my experience is pretty good. Especially with fewer ice attacks being used in UU/NU. I have never tested it but Machoke and Piolswine could fit right in to a NU, or even a UU team.
I've used Piloswine, and it actually can do a nice job. The main attraction is having an STAB physical Ice/Ground combo off a decent attack stat in NU, and being immune to Hail can be nice too.

Vibrava looks good. Even with 50 in every other stat, 70 attack and speed isn't something to laughed at, especialy if he is baton passed a couple attack and speed boost. Trapinch also looks good. I used to use him on an OU team, and he did rather well, destroying Flailers and low HP Pokemon. The only bad thing is that it is frail and slow. Trick Room might not be worth it.
The same can be said about pretty much every Pokemon in the whole game. If you are gonna Batton Pass to something, Batton Pass to Trapinch, at least he has decent Attack and an incredibly useful ability

About Rhydon, I find it to be slightly inferior to Armaldo in NU. Armaldo loses STAB Earthquake and has an SR weak, but makes up for it with a tougher SpD and better defensive typing.
...No, I really wouldn't say that Rhydon was inferior at all to Armaldo.

As far as switching in goes, Rhydon is a tad better. Rhydon comes in a bit easier with bulkier stats and its five resistances to common types like Fire, Flying and Normal. Armaldo will probably have to take a neutral hit since he has only two. Armaldo might only get a good two chances to switch in thanks to stealth rocks chipping off his health. I personally like it when my Hit-and-run choice banders can come in multiple times, so I think Rhydon wins this.

When it comes to actual attacking, Rhydon wins again. Rhydon has 5 more points in Attack while Armaldo has 5 more points in speed, so as far as raw stats go, it's a tie. Armaldo gets STAB X-Scissor and Stone Edge and UnSTABed Earthquake. Rhydon gets STAB Earthquake and Stone Edge along with Megahorn (the same base power as STAB X-scissor). I think that STAB "Quakeslide" justifies Rhydon by itself, but hey, you could use that with Megahorn, Ice Punch, Superpower, or anything else in Rhydon's endless movepool for extra cover in the 3rd slot.

Armaldo can support a team better then Rhydon can though. It's one of the few Pokemon that can learn Rapid Spin in UU, so that alone is a huge plus. However, Rhydon will still last longer with his higher HP and defense.

I personally love Rhydon in NU. He hits like a fully loaded semi and takes hits like one too.

I use Rhydon in UU and he works well. I run SR, EQ, SE, and Sub. He's great at switching in on Ambipom and Crobat if your lead doesn't handle them well, and threatening back with two 150BP (with STAB) moves and stealth rock. His attack is as high as Absol's, with a move 33% Stronger than Absol's main STAB, so he can hit pretty hard. He can 2HKO Steelix and do a reliable 33% to Slowbro (outspeeding both of them). His solid rock ability allows him to 1v1 a lot of physical tanks and sweepers, since it softens the blow from often un-STAB ground and fighting moves. This offensive capability, along with the defensive benefits of solid rock, sub, and leftovers, and the support benefits of stealth rock, makes him reliably useful in a variety of scenarios, and a good team player.

Yeah, if Rhydon had Solid Rock, it'd almost certainly be UU right now (we probably all remember that Rhydon was only a few usages from being UU in April).

Rhydon is probably the best non-UU NFE, having an Earthquake as strong as Garchomp's, and all the rest.

Sneasel is also pretty good, as it's the fastest Pokemon in NU (tied with Floatzel and Persian).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)