Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 18 (READ THE OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering whether the 10% drop in accuracy for Marowak's Boomerang attack (as compared to Earthquake's 100% accuracy) is worth its ability to break substitutes and hit again. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether this would be strategically useful?
Strategically, it can come off of Marowak's very good attack stat, assuming it's holding Thick Club, and break subs, as you mentioned. This could be the bane of very popular sets such as SubPunch Breloom and TyraniBoah, as well as other Pokemon which could potentially sweep from under a Sub, such as SubCM Raikou, which is usually faster and would OHKO with HP Ice. The immediate power from Earthquake is tempting, but Marowak has a very useful unique move in Bonemerang, while many other Pokemon can use Earthquake much more effectively. Basically, if you're going to use Marowak at all, use Bonemerang, as the slight accuracy problem shouldn't be too much to deter one from the other benefits it has over Earthquake.

Strategically, it can come off of Marowak's very good attack stat, assuming it's holding Thick Club, and break subs, as you mentioned. This could be the bane of very popular sets such as SubPunch Breloom and TyraniBoah, as well as other Pokemon which could potentially sweep from under a Sub, such as SubCM Raikou, which is usually faster and would OHKO with HP Ice. The immediate power from Earthquake is tempting, but Marowak has a very useful unique move in Bonemerang, while many other Pokemon can use Earthquake much more effectively. Basically, if you're going to use Marowak at all, use Bonemerang, as the slight accuracy problem shouldn't be too much to deter one from the other benefits it has over Earthquake.
Thanks, I appreciate the well thought out response :)

So then, when should I notice the stat changes?
Depends on what you mean by "notice." All Scizor is going to manage to get is up to maybe +3 in speed each level raise. It's not a very fast bugger.

However, if you didn't train it in speed at all, and it was, say, level 30, then you killed a bunch of Magikarps and MAXED out your speed EVs and got to level 31, it would actually gain something like +19 speed in one level.

I doubt it would be +19, especially at Lv31. I actually have seen Pokemon gain +4s and I think even +5s in stats. But never above that. Then again, I have never EV trained a Pokemon, so...

I doubt it would be +19, especially at Lv31. I actually have seen Pokemon gain +4s and I think even +5s in stats. But never above that. Then again, I have never EV trained a Pokemon, so...
No, he's right. If you somehow got your Pokemon to level 99 without it gaining any EV's and then maxed it's EV's out, it could possibly gain 100+ points in a stat. Also, you should change your name to RSEFRLGCXDDPPBR, so that people will attempt to pronounce it, only to be met with confusion.

No, he's right. If you somehow got your Pokemon to level 99 without it gaining any EV's and then maxed it's EV's out, it could possibly gain 100+ points in a stat. Also, you should change your name to RSEFRLGCXDDPPBR, so that people will attempt to pronounce it, only to be met with confusion.
Yeah, at level 99 to 100. But at level 30, it might gain like 7 points, but I doubt 19 when EVs can only give 63 total per stat. And I can't change my name.

Yeah, at level 99 to 100. But at level 30, it might gain like 7 points, but I doubt 19 when EVs can only give 63 total per stat. And I can't change my name.
Oh, sorry, I misunderstood, I thought you were saying that it was impossible to gain more than 5 stat points at a time. Also, now that I think about it, 100 points is probably a little bit of an exaggeration.

1) When in a 1 vs 1 situation, should I stack defenses to one side of the spectrum (like all def EVs and HP EVs) or should I balance it out?

2) How about in a 2 vs 2 situation?

Simple question here, just wanting to confirm. Theres no way to get hp electric 65+ with both 31s in speed and sp atk correct?

1) When in a 1 vs 1 situation, should I stack defenses to one side of the spectrum (like all def EVs and HP EVs) or should I balance it out?

That's so vague, it's quite impossible to answer. It totally depends on what Pokemon you're talking about.

whos da best pokeman ever
Kyogre is largely considered to be the strongest Uber Pokemon.

can psycho shift pass poison onto a steel type pokemon?
No, it cannot pass poison to a Poison or Steel, just like it cannot pass Burn to a Fire type.

This question makes no sense. It depends what Pokemon you are talking about and what role you want it to fill. Something like Blissey needs Defense and Special Defense EVs because Defense EVs can double its physical walling capability. Something like Steelix wants Special defense EVs because its physical defense is already monstrous. Something like Dusknoir wants all Physical defense EVs because it's intended to be used almost solely as a physical wall. Etc.

Thanks, I appreciate the well thought out response :)
It may be well thought out, but it's wrong. Generally Marrowak is only used as the recipient of a Baton pass chain, in which case it is unlikely that the opponent has something like a Sub up on Boah and he'll have enough defense boosts to not care about taking two turns to kill him. Also against Sub Breloom, Breloom resists Ground anyways.
Generally, it's not worth sabotaging your accuracy to cover rare cases, unless you really need a counter for SubCM raikou or something.

I believe an equally compelling case could be made for Wobbuffet, but this is, of course, subjective.
You could make a compelling argument for a lot of Pokemon to be the best. Darkrai has one of the best Sleep moves in the game, an ability that supports it, great speed and SpA, Nasty Plot, a largely unresisted STAB with a perfect coverage move, etc. Mewtwo has one of the highest Speeds and Special attacks in the game with good other stats and movepool. Mew has access to every TM in the game giving it the best movepool this side of Smeargle, but with Celebi/Jirachi stats. Deoxys-A has the best attack stats in the game combined with one of the best Speed stats in the game. Rayquaza takes one of the best Standard threats and gives him even better attacking stats and movepool. A case could be made for any of these, but usage statistics put Kyogre on top.

What moveset would be best for a 31/26/31/31/31/31 Salamence, the Dragon Dance set or the Choice Scarf set (has Dragon Dance and Hydro Pump as egg moves)? I was leaning towards DD, but part of me wanted to get use of Hydro Pump...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)