HGSS Megaspeculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any confirmation on this "has to be caught in HG/SS" rumour? That would really hurt if it was true. I'm already coming up with a new strategy, lol: looks like San Diego's going to be the last hurrah for my current VGC crew, which Shoe is using.

Also on a completely unrelated note, Jibaku I just noticed your avatar is Master Chief dressed as a chef. For months I'd thought it was a pepper pot with a moustache and got really confused over it.
I've been looking at that picture for years(?) now and I never knew what it was until you said something.

It's going to be intersting with these ubers unbanned. Like a gamestop tournament. :P

So gamefreak is for sure going to let ubers into next years vgc? Are they honestly that stupid?
It's actually not stupid at all. It's brilliant. You have to remember that, as much as Gamefreak cares about the competitive game, the VGC (and, more importantly, Pokemon Sunday) is still essentially an advertisement. And you know what? Making a change like this is great advertising. It's making people talk and building hype for the game, isn't it?

I highly doubt that Gamefreak will allow Pokemon with a base stat total of 680 into the VGC. Jirachi has a lower base stat total, yet there is not news about that being allowed in the VGC. I really hope the source misread.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I highly doubt that Gamefreak will allow Pokemon with a base stat total of 680 into the VGC. Jirachi has a lower base stat total, yet there is not news about that being allowed in the VGC. I really hope the source misread.
1 - It was confirmed by several people that watched Pokémon Sunday.
2 - Jirachi is an event pokémon. Shoddy doesn't care, but Wi-Fi/local tournaments do.
3 - Kids couldn't use their Palkias last WCS, so allowing them this time will be a great advertisement as Rayne said.
4 - It's not one Uber being allowed, it's all of them (except for event-only ones). It's basically Uber metagame without Deoxys, Darkrai and Jirachi. I'm sorry, but I can't see why wouldn't Nintendo do that. The Uber metagame works AND is fun, everyone knows that.

I though they changed subject...
Couldn't Jirachi be accessed by the Colosseum bonus disc?
I prefer not to use legendary pokemon in tournaments.
The Uber metagame can be fun, but I personally don't like the idea of EVERYONE using Pokemon legendaries. Than again it is just the VGC.

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
While we're still discussing Ubers I'd like to list all the important moves they will miss at Lv.50. Note that this list is subject to change should HGSS change the levelset and/or introduce tutors

Mewtwo: Loses Aura Sphere
Lugia: Loses Aeroblast. I'm not sure if losing this move is losing much but eh it doesn't matter.
Ho-oh: Loses Sacred Fire
Kyogre: Loses Water Spout
Groudon: Loses nothing of importance
Rayquaza: Loses Extremespeed. This could be a major loss
Dialga: Loses Aura Sphere. Aside from that expect Dialga to be a staple because of its insane typing, no Aura Sphere Mewtwos, and reduced Earthquake damage
Palkia: Gains Hydro Pump, which Palkia probably needed. Loses nothing of importance
Giratina/Giratina-O: Loses Aura Sphere, but gains Shadow Sneak, making it the only unbanned Uber (to date, once again), to have a priority move. The catch? It can't touch Smeargle :(

EDIT for below: I meant Shadow Sneak can't touch Smeargle. And Palkia gains Pump, not lose it.
Ultimately, I'm not entirely sure how much the lack of moves will affect anything.

Mewtwo is, well, Mewtwo. The loss of Sphere isn't as much of a problem (in theory) - you can always use the rather inaccurate Focus Blast, or go with a different set entirely. I used the AR to allow Ubers in the Battle Hall, and I used a Flamethrower/Ice Beam/Aura Sphere/Thunderbolt (replacing Sphere with Shadow Ball for Ghosts & Psychics) set on Mewtwo, because of the coverage it provided. I'm sure everyone will think of something, since we've got a year to prepare.

Palkia: Palkia's still going to be deadly. Other than Spacial Rend (and the new addition of Hydro Pump), his best options are from TM's. I'm not sure whether Surf or Pump would be better for him - Surf hits everyone else, and, while Pump is a stronger single target move, it still has a chance to miss in Rain.

Dialga: No clue on Dialga. There's so many options with it though.

Kyogre: Spout or not, no big deal. While he loses the ability to absolutely destroy with it, I get the feeling that a Surf/CM/Ice Beam/Thunder Kyogre is going to replace the ScarfSpout set. Pair CM Ogre with Scarf Palkia and watch chaos ensue.

Rayquaza: Lack of Extremespeed is going to hurt him. While I don't see him being used for anything other than weather negation in doubles, Gamefreak may yet surprise us with HG/SS.

On the contrary, I think this is as good an opportunity as they'll ever get to do it. All the Pokemon with the old bad cries are what will be making up the story of the game. They have a perfect excuse to revamp them now. In advance there would have been little point since Johto and Kanto Pokemon made up so little of the story mode.
I'd love for it to happen but I don't think it ever will. Charizard and Rhyhorn will be doomed to forever sound the same.

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
I though they changed subject...
Couldn't Jirachi be accessed by the Colosseum bonus disc?
I prefer not to use legendary pokemon in tournaments.
The Uber metagame can be fun, but I personally don't like the idea of EVERYONE using Pokemon legendaries. Than again it is just the VGC.
lol, "just the VGC." It is just the only Pokemon tournament where you actually win anything, and the prizes happen to be quite good. Other than that, yeah, I guess it's just the vgc.

@Jibaku- I don't know if you feel like this deserves making the list since none of the tutors for hg/ss are confirmed, but I feel like I should mention it. If hg/ss lack a selfdestruct move tutor and the Pokemon must be Lv.50 for the tournament, than Mewtwo will not be able to use selfdestruct.

I'm also unsure if Lugia gets aeroblast when purified in xd, but if it does you can remove that from the list. The 3 I view as most important on your list are Sacred Fire Ho-oh, Extremespeed Rayquaza, and Water Spout Kyogre.

While we're still discussing Ubers I'd like to list all the important moves they will miss at Lv.50. Note that this list is subject to change should HGSS change the levelset and/or introduce tutors

Mewtwo: Loses Aura Sphere
Lugia: Loses Aeroblast. I'm not sure if losing this move is losing much but eh it doesn't matter.
Ho-oh: Loses Sacred Fire
Kyogre: Loses Water Spout
Groudon: Loses nothing of importance
Rayquaza: Loses Extremespeed. This could be a major loss
Dialga: Loses Aura Sphere. Aside from that expect Dialga to be a staple because of its insane typing, no Aura Sphere Mewtwos, and reduced Earthquake damage
Palkia: Gains Hydro Pump, which Palkia probably needed. Loses nothing of importance
Giratina/Giratina-O: Loses Aura Sphere, but gains Shadow Sneak, making it the only unbanned Uber (to date, once again), to have a priority move. The catch? It can't touch Smeargle :(

EDIT for below: I meant Shadow Sneak can't touch Smeargle. And Palkia gains Pump, not lose it.
mewtwo:although aura sphere is a loss its not a big one,as someone said you can try the inaccuarte focus blast or go on the physical side and use focus punch to shut down bilssey

lugia:aeroblast isnt important at all as all that aeroblast can score a super effective hit is shaymin-s who gets destroyed by ice beam already

diagla:aura sphere isnt a great loss as diagla has many other options to take out steels like earthpower and fire blast and diagla can destroy darkrai with dragon pulse anyway

giratina(both forms):not like many uses smergle in ubers anyway ,the most common baton passer in ubers is mew

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
toaster
I'm talking about uber doubles, not singles, which your post seems to imply.
And Mew is likely to be banned in this tournament.

BlueCookies:
- I knew I forgot something!
- The Shadow Lugia, when purified, has Psycho Boost/Hydro Pump/Earthquake/Featherdance

Kyogre and Groudon are Base 90 Speed. Tyranitar is Base 61 and Abomasnow is Base 60 (and Hippowdon is Base 47 if it matters). Is there something I'm missing that says that Rain and Sun teams are the only things that can work if 670/680 Legendaries are in?
I know everybody is just excited at the inclusion of ubers in next year's VGC, but I wouldn't count out TR teams just yet. Something akin to zerowing's/batpig's TR/anti-TR team could also work with TR being only an option if the opposition abuses Chlorophyll/Swift Swim.

Yeah, but I specifically pointed out Sandstorm and Hail because they cancel out Sun and Rain, while Trick Room overlaps Sun and Rain. I'm not saying that Sandstorm and Hail are the only things that could be viable, Trick Room would be good as most 670/680 legends are Base 90 Speed or higher. I was always thinking of making an Uber Trick Room team; Lugia and Dialga would be handy (although it's sad and dumb that Giratina can't learn it :-( ).

I usually don't use Legends in any situation because they are unbreedable for IVs, and if you want another one, you have to start over; and SRing Legends for IVs AND Nature (unless Synchronizer works, ???) can be a pain in the ass. >.<

Im wondering, since mewtwo is allowed in this tourney, where do you think it could be caught? and at what level?
Since the tournament required level 50 in the past, it's likely to be at level 50, just like Kyogre/Groudon/Rayquazza.

I'd hope for a Tyranitar event, given that they gave Dragonite one and this is an environment where Ttar could shine. The possibility does exist.

The tournament is pretty much guaranteed to present itself one of the easiest targets ever, the users of Notch Eared Pichu!

I wouldn't be surprised if going with the remake spirit, Nintendo redoes the level up moves of Lugia/Ho-oh to give them the signature moves sooner.

Groudon is the World

I'm going to catch a super slow groudon for VCG next year, since most people will probably go for rain teams, a slow groudon can set up sun, then exegutor/tangrowth can destroy those waters with solarbeam, +heatran for other sun teams.

EDIT: Shit, Scarf Kyorge with water spout+ Water absorb pokemon=scary

Actually, I play double ubers (I lurk here since there isn't a place for me), let me tell you, Groudon has two things going for it, bulkiness (albeit Grass Knot unless Groudon wields Rindo Berry, which Groudon is not going to do), and a hellish Earthquake. You have two options, Scarf 'em and run Gravity with Clefable (instead of Togekiss since the prior only has one weakness which can be Chople Berried, especially since Darkrai is an event uber) AND forget his bulkiness, OR let 'em hold Iron Ball. Groudon luffs his Iron Ball. Make's 'em slower than his rivals (remember why you are running Groudon, or more slow & steady striding in this instance -> to get off Drought). Sometimes, when Groudon encounters jerks and doesn't feel like routing Gravity with his good buddy Clefable, he enjoys playing catch with his other buddy on the opponents team. Being super friends with Lugia and Mewtwo, Fling can be very effective...

Also note, that with the previlence of DPP, many ubers like Palkia's Water half, and Dialga's Steel, favor Kyogre's Drizzle ability. If you go for it, you will be targeted. Run Groudon & his entourage of Grass-types, they love eating surf, as well as Earthquake.

Oh fuck please dont let this pic of the battle frontier be true it look like the same as platinum.

http://www.pokemon.co.jp/special/hgss/introduction/other02.html
I think that is Platinum's Battle Fronteir
I think they might just be lacking frontier art at the moment. At least I hope so. Because the screens from the bottom indicate that the player is currently at the frontier.

And it looks like tutors are in, the picture with the 3 men looks like emeralds old lady tutors and the current amount of BP is visible.

I think they might just be lacking frontier art at the moment. At least I hope so. Because the screens from the bottom indicate that the player is currently at the frontier.

And it looks like tutors are in, the picture with the 3 men looks like emeralds old lady tutors and the current amount of BP is visible.
Using google translate, it says:

Earned in the battle BP (battle points) in exchange for, you can also get a lesson teaches a new technique!

I know alot of people are indifferent, but I personally don't always want a pokemon following me.

A pic of Gold w/o a pokemon following him.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, I guess it's safe to assume this feature can be turned off. Looks like one one Poketerra's demo videos shows that. His Totodile fainted battling a Stantler, and after battle, Pikachu's following him instead of Totodile. If they went all the way to implement that (and quite frankly, it's not even difficult), they wouldn't be dumb enough to not let us turn the whole following feature off.

BTW, official site updated. Lol, they used the same artwork of Platinum Frontier for HGSS's...

The screens are from the Battle Frontier, but the artwork is from Platinum. Why would they reuse it? I never noticed that the one building is shaped like a Swampert ha.

Btw, where is the HGSS Frontier located?

The screens are from the Battle Frontier, but the artwork is from Platinum. Why would they reuse it? I never noticed that the one building is shaped like a Swampert ha.

Btw, where is the HGSS Frontier located?
Somewhere in Olivine City, IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)