np: UU - The Boys Are Back in Town

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really see why people haven't started using Swellow more. It can easily revenge Zam (and on leads it can U turn them to sash, then switch to a pursuiter) and it's a great Gallade check (come in on SD, immune to Shadow Sneak and can OHKO 2 different ways (3 if U-turn actually does it, but I didn't check)).

I've started building a real team because my "throw as many suspects in one team and see if it facerolls the metagame" didn't really work.
That Pursuiter better be Spiritomb or you just lost a pokemon. :)

Another way to deal with Gallade is with my old fav, Lopunny. It can come in on SD/SS and Encore it. But I must say, whoever thought of giving Gallade SS is crazy. Like it really needed a priority move. It cuts down the list of revenge killers so much.

Dugtrio? No.
Zam? No.
Missy? No.

So annoying. -____-

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Am I the only one having success with Su(b)perior? with the help of Uxie and Venusaur he's been dismantling teams all day long

Lol i love when people switch their Rhyperior into my Arcanine just to get Sunnybeamed to death.

Raikou can use Magnet Rise to get rid of his only weakness, even though he doesn't benefit as much as Aggron(since Aggron can, actually, wall ground types with Magnet Rise while Raikou can still be hit with Stone Edge or whatever).

Gallade can use Bulk UP Drain Punch, or spread Thunder Waves around and start Close Combat everything slower. Annoying.

I've yet to use Umbreon. Without Crobat, it's easier to Curse with it now. Problem is Gallade, Hitmonlee and Blaziken(and to a lesser extent, Hitmontop).

I've started building a real team because my "throw as many suspects in one team and see if it facerolls the metagame" didn't really work.
This. This is a very good sign.

Edit:

Also, it may sound strange but by running a select amount of speed EV's on Spiritomb he becomes more of a threat than simply maxing out a defense.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Offensive is boring now, good run for me :]. Time to make a stall team (which some people should). Stall will come back as the preferred style of play once this hype runs down.

I've played around a lil bit with the new toys.

Gallade: LO SD/Close Combat/Shadow Sneak/Filler is a beast. It is unbelievably hard to stop it w/o including something like Swellow or Spiritomb in a team. I might compare to this SD Lucario in OU, but a lot of things that are faster fail to hinder Gallade. Yea you can use Sucker Punch Honchkrow, but if you are smart enough, Shadow Sneak renders Sucker Punch useless if you can succesfully predict one-two turns. Something like Uxie can take some hits, but its weak attacking stats will not even do much to Gallade.

Froslass: So far, Ambipom leads stop it as far as I am concerned. There aren't that really viable fast taunt leads that can hinder Froslass (Floatzel, Persian, Purguly lol.) Other than that, it is annoying to see who wins Froslass speed ties and pretty much from there.. the winner of the speed tie have an enormous chance to win the match.

Rhyperior: I've been playing with it in a stall team that has not lost yet (maybe because of my opponents =D.) But 252 HP/252 Def Impish Solid Rock survives a lot of shiet. A few percentage points matter alot. I have yet to see other Rhyperior threaten me significantly. But its presence in the metagame is pretty awe-inspiring. 10 points attack higher than Rhydon is pretty serious to think about. But if I get caught off guard by something like Swords Dance or something, I can suspect it could sweep my team with SR damage or at least one Pokemon.

Raikou: Haven't used it yet, but its hard for me to work around it w/o Chansey.

Alakazam: Haven't used yet
Umbreon: Stay in UU and don't come back!

Rhyperior: I've been playing with it in a stall team that has not lost yet (maybe because of my opponents =D.) But 252 HP/252 Def Impish Solid Rock survives a lot of shiet. A few percentage points matter alot. I have yet to see other Rhyperior threaten me significantly. But its presence in the metagame is pretty awe-inspiring. 10 points attack higher than Rhydon is pretty serious to think about. But if I get caught off guard by something like Swords Dance or something, I can suspect it could sweep my team with SR damage or at least one Pokemon.
it can take even SE physical hits like a champ.

i've been using an Adamant LO SD/EQ/SE/MH build, which works decently well, but i think i'm going to switch to Impish support tank in UU, which worked (and still works) very well for me in OU.

i haven't tried providing SS support yet, but in OU, it's obviously extremely beneficial to the Perior, and makes a big difference.

i really want to try Curse-passing with Umbreon to Gallade.

Why is Swellow being so hyped as a Gallade check when Ambipom can do it just as well? Ok, Swellow can also check Alakazam and Raikou better, but Ambipom isn't easily walled by any old Steel and Rock type, and has a much stronger Pursuit for getting rid of those Ghosts. It can also switch in more often throughout the match, whereas Swellow is often deadweight until you can remove the counters.

Having said that, bulky Arcanine is still my favorite Gallade check because it can switch in even on a mispredicted Close Combat and not immediately keel over. Leafeon can do something similar, just not quite as well.

im going out on a limb here and saying gallade is going to get 100% BL votes when the time comes in a month. Is there any way we can immediately remove him like how deoxys-e was immediately removed from the stage 3 test??

im going out on a limb here and saying gallade is going to get 100% BL votes when the time comes in a month. Is there any way we can immediately remove him like how deoxys-e was immediately removed from the stage 3 test??
My team has 0 problem with Gallade, I'd imagine lots of people have figured out how to take care of him. He's like SD Luke in OU, you have to have a plan or he'll sweep you.

I absolutely love my new Toxicroak set as well.

I voted UU last time, and so far I have seen nothing from it that would change my mind. I don't buy the argument that it's broken because it destroys stall. Stall can beat Gallade if it is a well made team, and the fact that such teams are forced to be a little more creative now should not automatically serve as an argument against Gallade.

In fact, you could argue that stall being forced to creatively depart from the same bog-standard 6 Pokes over and over again as before is a good thing for the metagame. I would.

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
In fact, you could argue that stall being forced to creatively depart from the same bog-standard 6 Pokes over and over again as before is a good thing for the metagame. I would.
Totally agreed. I have seen Thund's/Heartless' stall team in action, which employs a very annoying Jumpluff that does a great Seeding work; something completely new as far as UU stall goes but that works astoundingly well.

Totally agreed. I have seen Thund's/Heartless' stall team in action, which employs a very annoying Jumpluff that does a great Seeding work; something completely new as far as UU stall goes but that works astoundingly well.
Sounds cool, look forward to seeing that team in action sometime in the near future. I am sure it is a very well constructed team with Thund behind it.

EDIT: Think I just saw it used. Is it Spiritomb / Omastar / Jumpluff / Milotic / Donphan / something else?

I have not seen a single grass type that wasn't sub/seed since the changes. Venusaur, Bellossom, Jumpluff, Megnanium, etc.

I ran a scarfed espeon with shadow ball hp fire signal beam and psychic. It can easily take down most gallade and zams froslasses and can dent all non sub cm raikous.

I don't really see why people haven't started using Swellow more. It can easily revenge Zam (and on leads it can U turn them to sash, then switch to a pursuiter) and it's a great Gallade check (come in on SD, immune to Shadow Sneak and can OHKO 2 different ways (3 if U-turn actually does it, but I didn't check)).

I've actually been using a Scarfed Pinsir to Revenge KO Gallade, Alakazam, Raikou, Rhyperior (Mold Breaker gets a lot of them by surprise) and a couple other threats (actually 90% of threats) and it has worked Beautifully, similar to ScarfCross in OU when it was good (also doesn't get wrecked by dugtrio as much).

Also running specially defensive Venusaur with Roar/Power Whip/EQ/Synthesis. Raikou can't get through it without a lot of CMs (even using SE hidden powers), and gets roared/eq'd out pretty quick. I miss Sleep Powder, but everything on it makes it really useful and really annoying

Also running specially defensive Venusaur with Roar/Power Whip/EQ/Synthesis. Raikou can't get through it without a lot of CMs (even using SE hidden powers), and gets roared/eq'd out pretty quick. I miss Sleep Powder, but everything on it makes it really useful and really annoying
I used to use something very similar at the very start of modern UU. Great fun to predict with if Stealth Rock is down, as most of the stuff that resists your attacks is weak to it, and will be taking a lot of residual damage for nothing if you can Roar them on the switch. Back then, Seed Bomb was Venusaur's best physical STAB option, so now with Power Whip it should be even better.

Venusaur always had plenty of unique advantages over Roserade, and a set like that demonstrates it more than most.

I think so. The something else must be Chansey
Yeah, Chansey would make the most sense in that last slot. I can see a slight CM / Rest 'Kou weakness there, but I reckon Thund and Heartless know something that I don't. Besides, such a setup isn't exactly common right now.

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
Yeah, Chansey would make the most sense in that last slot. I can see a slight CM / Rest 'Kou weakness there, but I reckon Thund and Heartless know something that I don't. Besides, such a setup isn't exactly common right now.
That could be made useless by Jumpluff's Encore xP

I voted UU last time, and so far I have seen nothing from it that would change my mind. I don't buy the argument that it's broken because it destroys stall. Stall can beat Gallade if it is a well made team, and the fact that such teams are forced to be a little more creative now should not automatically serve as an argument against Gallade.

This. I also voted for Gallade to be UU, and haven't really changed my opinion because anything faster that can survive a Shadow Sneak beats it. This includes Arcanine, Moltres, Houndoom, Swellow, Tauros ect.

PSA: Spiritomb still counters Gallade. I use CB ( CB Shadow Sneak OHKOs Gallade btw)

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
I used to use something very similar at the very start of modern UU. Great fun to predict with if Stealth Rock is down, as most of the stuff that resists your attacks is weak to it, and will be taking a lot of residual damage for nothing if you can Roar them on the switch. Back then, Seed Bomb was Venusaur's best physical STAB option, so now with Power Whip it should be even better.

Venusaur always had plenty of unique advantages over Roserade, and a set like that demonstrates it more than most.

Well to be fair Donphan should do fine against CM / Rest Raikou

That could be made useless by Jumpluff's Encore xP
115 base speed > 110 base speed? I'm sure it would work ok if you could force Rest with Chansey then bring in Jumpluff to Encore while sleeping (if that's how Encore works, I can't remember), but even then it's semi-reliable at best, particularly if Chansey is at low health when Raikou decides to Rest.

Well to be fair Donphan should do fine against CM / Rest Raikou
Sure, but I'm just saying that it can be a possible threat, and Donphan can't just switch in whenever it likes because Raikou will be carrying a super-effective Hidden Power. Like I said it is a slight weakness, I didn't say that the team has no hope whatsoever against it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)