Why do so many people around the world dislike America and the people who inhabit it?

somewhat related to the current debate; what is the advantage of the welfare state over private charities? private charities are able to differentiate between people who are actually trying to get back on their feet and people who simply don't want to work, they are more efficiently run, and perhaps most importantly they aren't coercively funded.

Every bus driver, truck driver, fast food employee, and housekeeper are all immigrants. (most don't even speak english)
It's so nice to see that you can avoid racism and stereotypes.

P.S. That sentence is grammatically incorrect. It should read: "Every bus driver, truck driver, fast food employee, and housekeeper is an immigrant."

bah, what I mean is that many are bus drivers, truck drivers, fast food employees, ect. Not all. And the thing is, it is mostly true. Being a stereotype doesn't necessarily mean it is a bad thing or untrue thing. Not racism. Not at all.

P.S. This isn't being graded by my english teacher. It is the internet.

it's crazy how much money people think is being spent on welfare programs, because in reality it's about 1% of our gdp. which is nothing.

Back in the 60s LBJ created these social programs to create what he called a great society, to wipe out things like poverty and hunger. You know what happened? Vietnam starved the programs of money.

Fast forward to today. If there was no Iraq war, and no Afghanistan war, and the United State cut its military budget down to what the second highest in the world is(which would be a fraction of what it is today), and all the money that was spent on those was put into social programs then there wouldn't be poverty, there wouldn't be hunger, everyone would be educated, everyone would have health care. But these massive expenditures are seen as reasonable to people because dem terrorists(communists) gon git us. How little has changed.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Why are you going to English class if you aren't going to put what you learn to use? Also, I believe lati0s was pointing out the irony in your saying "most don't even speak English" when you seem to have trouble with the language yourself.

Why are you going to English class if you aren't going to put what you learn to use? Also, I believe lati0s was pointing out the irony in your saying "most don't even speak English" when you seem to have trouble with the language yourself.
Yes, why do we go to chemistry class if we are not going to be a chemist?

Making mistakes from time to time and not even knowing how to form an improper sentence (at best) are two totally different things.

somewhat related to the current debate; what is the advantage of the welfare state over private charities?
I don't think independent charity alone would guarantee full coverage, as it were.
private charities are able to differentiate between people who are actually trying to get back on their feet and people who simply don't want to work,
There is no reason the state cannot do that. (In the UK, at least in theory a claimant of JobSeeker's Allowance can have their claim stopped if they don't make sufficient effort to seek work - though I don't know how common it is).
it's crazy how much money people think is being spent on welfare programs, because in reality it's about 1% of our gdp.
That's quite a lot lower than in the UK. Welfare is 15% of our government spending (and that's not including state pensions, which is a further 17%). That's £95 billion a year, which is 6.6% of GDP.

Firestorm

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Making mistakes from time to time and not even knowing how to form an improper sentence (at best) are two totally different things.
If you are going to go to chemistry class and purposely ignoring what you learn, you probably shouldn't be going there either. Occupation has nothing to do with my post.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

That's a pretty simple fallacy; English is used by all English speakers, but Chemistry isn't used by just chemists.

That's utter BS. America can't help every single desperate immigrant. It is crazy on how much money is spent on immigration and how much of an issue it is here. Help millions at original citizen's expense and be overpopulated or shut them out? Either way, backseat people will still criticize. Who said America only helps white immigrants? Oh, the ones that get here legally and have the means to work and be successful. You wouldn't know, but America welcomes so many freaking immigrants.(not just white ones) Every bus driver, truck driver, fast food employee, and housekeeper are all immigrants. (most don't even speak english) But no, we can't treat EVERY single one nicely, so therefore we treat EVERY one badly!

Many, many people are being helped out. But not every single one can be helped.

As for the above, that is true. And it doesn't immigrants ARE being helped.
Clearly, since Jesus spoke English, everyone should speak English.

FYI, you might not remember this from government class, but English is not the official language of the United States. There is no official language.

it's crazy how much money people think is being spent on welfare programs, because in reality it's about 1% of our gdp. which is nothing.
Back in the 60s LBJ created these social programs to create what he called a great society, to wipe out things like poverty and hunger. You know what happened? Vietnam starved the programs of money.
Fast forward to today. If there was no Iraq war, and no Afghanistan war, and the United State cut its military budget down to what the second highest in the world is(which would be a fraction of what it is today), and all the money that was spent on those was put into social programs then there wouldn't be poverty, there wouldn't be hunger, everyone would be educated, everyone would have health care. But these massive expenditures are seen as reasonable to people because dem terrorists(communists) gon git us. How little has changed.
Agreed on the welfare comment, welfare spending makes up 3.2% of the United States GDP, not exactly what you were claiming, but a rather low amount. However, I completely disagree on military spending. Military spending (aside from Iraq and Afghanistan) does a whole bunch more then just train people for warfare, and design weapons to kill people.
Military spending does a number of good things for the economy, as well as sparking a number of different types of research that have much more then just a military application.

bah, what I mean is that many are bus drivers, truck drivers, fast food employees, ect. Not all. And the thing is, it is mostly true. Being a stereotype doesn't necessarily mean it is a bad thing or untrue thing. Not racism. Not at all.

"Not racism. Not at all." Right...

Clearly, since Jesus spoke English, everyone should speak English.

FYI, you might not remember this from government class, but English is not the official language of the United States. There is no official language.
This is a political fiction; England, America, and Australia all have the official language of English (dialects aside), because the laws of the country are conducted in that language and only that language. There are various conventions that define the language of a state in that way, which is why New Zealand has two official languages and so forth.

Making a typo doesn't mean that I can't speak English. He made one typo. He can't speak english. Does that seem correct to you? Mess up one sentence? Maybe I can't type as well. Maybe there is one more variable than that. Just maybe.

Not "officially." Schools are taught in English. Most books are sold in English. Most signs are in English. Most people born here speak English. Should we learn another language for some immigrants?

"Not racism. Not at all." Right...
I would like to hear your logic (besides "oh you are wrong.") on why that is racism.

By definition, rascism is the belief that a race holds a particular characteristic. However, I am not a racist, and just because most immigrants have jobs like drivers, housekeepers, ect are immigrants does not make me racist. It is a fact. I do not follow stupid racism, I am just stating what the truth is.

There is no official language at the national level of the US. However, English is the official language in like 30ish states. Most of these states have English as their sole official language.

At the national level, English is the de facto language, meaning that government business is done in English although there is no law that states English is the language of the US

This is a political fiction; England, America, and Australia all have the official language of English (dialects aside), because the laws of the country are conducted in that language and only that language. There are various conventions that define the language of a state in that way, which is why New Zealand has two official languages and so forth.
That's incorrect. While I don't know about England or Australia, I know that America offers ballots and other government documents in a whole host of other languages, and I believe that they are required to do so, if there are enough people who speak said language.

Not "officially." Schools are taught in English. Most books are sold in English. Most signs are in English. Most people born here speak English. Should we learn another language for some immigrants?
There are actually a number of schools that are bilingual, and most schools are required to teach ESL courses. Your reasoning is based on false basis. The government do encourage English, but it is not required.

And might I ask where I said you should go learn a language for some immigrants? However, now that you've suggested it, yes. It would be a good idea for you to learn another language. After all, once you've learned one language it's supposed to be easier to pick up others, and that would let you communicate with people outside of the United States (unless of course, you believe that everyone should learn English).

I'd recommend Chinese.

I would like to hear your logic (besides "oh you are wrong.") on why that is racism.

By definition, rascism is the belief that a race holds a particular characteristic. However, I am not a racist, and just because most immigrants have jobs like drivers, housekeepers, ect are immigrants does not make me racist. It is a fact. I do not follow stupid racism, I am just stating what the truth is.
You make an un-evidenced claim about all immigrants, and expect us to believe it simply because it's about immigrants. You are correct, I was wrong to say that you were racist, the correct term would be xenophobic. My apologies on that.

There are actually a number of schools that are bilingual, and most schools are required to teach ESL courses. Your reasoning is based on false basis. The government do encourage English, but it is not required.

And might I ask where I said you should go learn a language for some immigrants? However, now that you've suggested it, yes. It would be a good idea for you to learn another language. After all, once you've learned one language it's supposed to be easier to pick up others, and that would let you communicate with people outside of the United States (unless of course, you believe that everyone should learn English).

I'd recommend Chinese.
Well, hate to break it to you, but if you went into a school speaking Chinese, no teacher (aside from speakers who might have been born there) will understand you. Just going on the internet, you can find that around 30 states have made english official and it is the language in practice.

不,谢谢。

You make an un-evidenced claim about all immigrants, and expect us to believe it simply because it's about immigrants. You are correct, I was wrong to say that you were racist, the correct term would be xenophobic. My apologies on that.
How is that "unevidenced"? I said that many immigrants are bus drivers, fast food workers, or housekeepers. This is actually true. I said this because someone accused America of not taking care of immigrants. Which is silly because of all the jobs they have. Then you call me xenophobic, which is absurd. If I were xenophobic, I would not be able to live in the US because much of the population are immigrants. Now please say something that makes sense. You could try the word anthrophobic because that will probably make more sense then your reply.

Firestorm

How is that "unevidenced"? I said that many immigrants are bus drivers, fast food workers, or housekeepers. This is actually true. I said this because someone accused America of not taking care of immigrants. Which is silly because of all the jobs they have. Then you call me xenophobic, which is absurd. If I were xenophobic, I would not be able to live in the US because much of the population are immigrants. Now please say something that makes sense. You could try the word anthrophobic because that will probably make more sense then your reply.
Is that really the argument you are making? "We force skilled workers to become bus drivers, fast food workers, and housekeepers. Therefore, we take care of immigrants." I mean, have you ever had a job as a fast food worker? Do you really think people can live comfortably like that? Is this the American dream you like to believe is real?

Is that really the argument you are making? "We force skilled workers to become bus drivers, fast food workers, and housekeepers. Therefore, we take care of immigrants." I mean, have you ever had a job as a fast food worker? Do you really think people can live comfortably like that? Is this the American dream you like to believe is real?
1. It is most likely far, far, far better than what they started from. This is an improvement from the country they started from.
2. It makes a living. They can afford an apartment, food ect.
3. They aren't "forced". If they go to school and ect then they can do what they want. But you can't expect to show up and start making 50,000+
4. Stop harping on the US because the US is taking plenty of immigrants and treating them quite nicely too.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
1. It is most likely far, far, far better than what they started from. This is an improvement from the country they started from.

Right. My parents came from fucking South Korea making more money they will make in this shithole, just to slave for hours? There are many skilled workers who come from nations rift with conflict, and have no choice but to live. Giving them a shitty job isn't fair. Why do you think it's unethical to hold a sweatshop? Because it degrades the status of a human.

Damn, those child soldiers make a living in Africa. They get food and shelter. Hell that's all they need, as long as they're forced to kill for our unncessary cause! (See what I did there?)

3. They aren't "forced". If they go to school and ect then they can do what they want. But you can't expect to show up and start making 50,000+

Lol wut. A Ph.D Holder can suddenly find himself in the middle of a fast food joint. Right. It's because America and Canada hold these stupid laws restricting skilled workers that's screwing both sides over. And yes, some are forced. Look at the world dipshit. Not everything is as fine as your fucking neighbourhood. There's something called conflict!

4. Stop harping on the US because the US is taking plenty of immigrants and treating them quite nicely too.

Lol. GG QQ
Bolded. Please, invite me to your world. I want to live where there are unicorns and rainbows everywhere.

Firestorm

I'm not a big fan of Eradd's view on our country, but his last post explains why you're delusional. And he's right that Canada has the same issue. My father works in a bakery and my mother works in a factory. I will hopefully live a good life as someone who was born in Canada. My parents are working their asses off and I'm very thankful for them.

Anyway, moving on, here's yet another video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pilG7PCV448

I want to really make this clear because I think a lot of Americans are misunderstanding us. Nobody hates "all" Americans. However, the "typical" American to many people are the people in this video. This is why they dislike America and Americans. They are referring to people like this. Can this be fixed? I'm not sure. For some reason, the image that Canadians have around the world are a bunch of peaceful, apologetic, polite lumberjacks and mounted police in a cold country with maple syrup.

Or as the US film and music industry likes to think of us:

Unless YOUR parents are immigrants working dead end jobs I doubt what you say will be taken seriously.

I concede. But the world is going to be unfair, and that's just the way it is. I have no power over the laws of this country.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)