Final Grades/GPA thread/School/University Discussion

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
It's final grades time for me!

I only had two classes because I'm a PhD student, but I got High Pass in both of them. (That's what some graduate schools call an "A".)

AkaneMizuki said:
What leadership opportunities, would u guys say, looks good on an application? Like president of a club, or organizing an events? any specifics?
I haven't applied to college for a long time, but I'd say having a passion about what your "leadership" is in is best.

The University that I attend is borderline college/university. It was a college 5 years ago, right before I started attending. It has been Shepherd University since I have been there for four years, but it is kind of a joke. THe acceptance rate is high, and there are enough easy teachers, to where you can avoid the real tough folks. Overall i have a 3.65 after 119 credits, and I still have a couple of semesters to go (I'm lazy, and have taken 12 credits most of my semesters, plus I have messed up in a few places) I'm trying to earn a BA in Secondary Education: Social studies and math.

Leadership opportunities always look good; I'd think that ASB or Student Council positions, or like you said a President or board member, would be most important.
It's final grades time for me!

I only had two classes because I'm a PhD student, but I got High Pass in both of them. (That's what some graduate schools call an "A".)

I haven't applied to college for a long time, but I'd say having a passion about what your "leadership" is in is best.
Hmm, I see, thnx to both. What about achievements do they make a lot of impact?

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
Screw class president, student council, etc. Everyone does this junk, and it doesn't say anything about you as a person because most of these positions are bullshit. Do something unique and impressive; this is easy to do if you are in CS :) teach yourself programming and write a cool open source application

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Do something different enough that it doesn't look like the sole reason you do anything in high school is to beef up a college app. Leading an FRC team looks tons better than class or student council president, because one actually requires work.

Screw class president, student council, etc. Everyone does this junk, and it doesn't say anything about you as a person because most of these positions are bullshit. Do something unique and impressive; this is easy to do if you are in CS :) teach yourself programming and write a cool open source application
Or create a massively popular pokemon website.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Do something different enough that it doesn't look like the sole reason you do anything in high school is to beef up a college app. Leading an FRC team looks tons better than class or student council president, because one actually requires work.
I disagree with this, the bolded statement especially. Leading the class requires a ton of work (I am class VP). I have to go in early, organize events, raise money all the time, advertise, make commercials, etc. I'm not saying FRC isn't work, but student government definitely is (at least for my school). Also I think it kind of depends on where you're applying... Aren't you going to an Institute of Technology? That's probably why they like that activity so much.

On another note, I'm 5 for 5 so far, though I haven't heard back from any reach schools yet... April 1st will be an interesting day for me, getting rejected from Princeton, Yale, and Hopkins will be nice!

Why is there such a great emphasis on extra-curriculars in College applications in the US? All the top unis over here pretty much openly say that it has slim to none impact on an application, unless you are an elite sportsperson looking for a scholarship.

Why is there such a great emphasis on extra-curriculars in College applications in the US? All the top unis over here pretty much openly say that it has slim to none impact on an application, unless you are an elite sportsperson looking for a scholarship.
I guess they are a way to single out well-rounded students. If you have above-average grades (perfect, let's say) as the only thing speaking for you in your application, you might be a complete outcast that does not bode well in a social work setting (EC's, including clubs). Someone who is involved in leadership and teamwork and can balance academics and EC's AND succeed in both is more valuable to most American universities than perfect grades in the most difficult courses. It is just a demonstration of real-world skills needed to succeed in a highly competitive academic and social environment; it is a demonstration that you would be a valuable asset to a university's environment and student body.

There are enough people with sick grades/test scores, college want to go for more.

And they also don't want people cooped up studying in their dorms all day long. College isn't just for education, it is developing connections with other people and being in an active, exciting environment.

Probably going to Northeastern University next year in Boston, MA.

Does anyone in the work force have any comments about the school's reputation and its co-op (internship) program? Just wondering if people have good or bad things to say about the school in general or if it's a generally unknown.

EDIT: I plan to be a mechanical engineer.

I never understand this fascination with well-roundedness. I know the argument goes something along the lines of "we prefer to not have social outcasts in our university systems" but I argue that the student valedictorian or club leader has a minimal social life; they're always the least interesting person (fine, not always) that uses crutches to meet friends. In work settings, there are no clubs and your social finesse is a direct result of your... social finesse, rather than your resume of extra curriculars.

Then again, it is an easy measure (and realistically the only measure) one has of social success. Then again, why the fuck would a math or engineer student even need to have social skills (lol most I know don't have much)? It seems a bit unfair that they are being discriminated in their university applications for a skill they realistically don't need as much as others.

I had a vibrant social life in high school but I hated clubs and never joined a single one, unless I somehow benefited from it... but even then I would never use it to the end of sprucing up my college resume (didn't need to either, though). I guarantee you I could succeed in a work setting more than some of the losers in Amnesty International at my old high school.

The invisible hand of the man is molding us into becoming something we don't want to become and almost forcing us into doing something we would have no interest in doing otherwise. Fight the power!

I never understand this fascination with well-roundedness. I know the argument goes something along the lines of "we prefer to not have social outcasts in our university systems" but I argue that the student valedictorian or club leader has a minimal social life; they're always the least interesting person (fine, not always) that uses crutches to meet friends. In work settings, there are no clubs and your social finesse is a direct result of your... social finesse, rather than your resume of extra curriculars.

Then again, it is an easy measure (and realistically the only measure) one has of social success. Then again, why the fuck would a math or engineer student even need to have social skills (lol most I know don't have much)? It seems a bit unfair that they are being discriminated in their university applications for a skill they realistically don't need as much as others.

I had a vibrant social life in high school but I hated clubs and never joined a single one, unless I somehow benefited from it... but even then I would never use it to the end of sprucing up my college resume (didn't need to either, though). I guarantee you I could succeed in a work setting more than some of the losers in Amnesty International at my old high school.

The invisible hand of the man is molding us into becoming something we don't want to become and almost forcing us into doing something we would have no interest in doing otherwise. Fight the power!
I agree with you. The less selective colleges will probably agree with you, too. But, then again, maybe that's why they are less selective, and not as prestigious as schools that value every aspect of a student's life, rather than just the academics.

It's stupid how schools care so much about community service and spamming clubs just for college and not because they actually care about whatever it is they are doing. They should realize that kids are simply spending all of their time trying to take as many clubs as they can not because they "want to help others!" but because it looks pretty on their application.

It's stupid how schools care so much about community service and spamming clubs just for college and not because they actually care about whatever it is they are doing. They should realize that kids are simply spending all of their time trying to take as many clubs as they can not because they "want to help others!" but because it looks pretty on their application.
They are well aware of that. But if a student puts in the work to do so, it is merit nonetheless. It is still HELPING the community, whichever way you look at it. Nothing to sniff at, I assure you.

They are well aware of that. But if a student puts in the work to do so, it is merit nonetheless. It is still HELPING the community, whichever way you look at it. Nothing to sniff at, I assure you.
The point is that anyone could simply spam clubs and community service, it hardly makes them stronger academically, just more desperate for the bonus points. "Helping" the community by picking up garbage in parks and washing cars is the most absurd thing and does not "help" the community much at all.

The point is that anyone could simply spam clubs and community service, it hardly makes them stronger academically, just more desperate for the bonus points. "Helping" the community by picking up garbage in parks and washing cars is the most absurd thing and does not "help" the community much at all.
What do you consider helping the community?

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You know you do realize you're making a generalization. I know many people in various clubs because they care. Hell, one guy raised 10 000 dollars for an orphanage in Africa, runs an environmental club, and runs Amnesty International, and a leadership club that aims to help the community. I cannot believe you'd be so closed minded as to just say "everyone's in it for the benefits." Although there may be others who use these as tools to get into university, there are just as many others who actually care. You show your stupidity again Eggbert.

I agree with you. The less selective colleges will probably agree with you, too. But, then again, maybe that's why they are less selective, and not as prestigious as schools that value every aspect of a student's life, rather than just the academics.
Go back a decade and prestigious universities never required all this community service stuff. All they wanted were grades but now, the competitions more fiercer than ever. Something has to distinguish everyone getting perfect grades, and extracurriculars was seen as the "tie breaker".

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
"What do you consider helping the community?"

Helping the community doesn't always have to be through community service, but using your talents in the best possible way for others to benefit from them. A star athlete can renew pride in an otherwise "dead" community that no amount of community service can achieve. Grades and course selection also has as much help as community service because people do not want to be supporting the 30 percent (or more) high school dropouts a year through unemployment benefits and jail space. Community service certainly has its place, but like others I am sick of people "abusing" it on college applications. Hanging out at a shelter with one person while doing homework doesn't cut it. To be honest, it's not that much of a deal maker/breaker in most situations. It looks bad if you have none, but lots of unspecified hours do not help. If someone has a specific cause and devotes a lot of time into it, I have no problem with that. However, that is not what most "community service" is in terms of admissions.

You know you do realize you're making a generalization. I know many people in various clubs because they care. Hell, one guy raised 10 000 dollars for an orphanage in Africa, runs an environmental club, and runs Amnesty International, and a leadership club that aims to help the community. I cannot believe you'd be so closed minded as to just say "everyone's in it for the benefits." Although there may be others who use these as tools to get into university, there are just as many others who actually care. You show your stupidity again Eggbert.

Go back a decade and prestigious universities never required all this community service stuff. All they wanted were grades but now, the competitions more fiercer than ever. Something has to distinguish everyone getting perfect grades, and extracurriculars was seen as the "tie breaker".
Hit the nail right on the head.

Can you please point out when I said "everyone"? Hint, I didn't. I am not saying people never help their communities like the nice people they are, I am saying that there are many people that do in fact spam many clubs and community service hours. Hell, one guy joined a "community" club, a choir club, a homeless helping club, and a special education club. But guess what? He didn't care at all, but it looked pretty sweet on applications. They are many who use them as tools, and there are a few who actually care. But don't tell me I said everyone, because I didn't.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Can you please point out when I said "everyone"? Hint, I didn't. I am not saying people never help their communities like the nice people they are, I am saying that there are many people that do in fact spam many clubs and community service hours. Hell, one guy joined a "community" club, a choir club, a homeless helping club, and a special education club. But guess what? He didn't care at all, but it looked pretty sweet on applications. They are many who use them as tools, and there are a few who actually care. But don't tell me I said everyone, because I didn't.
And did he do them? If so, congratulations to him as he proved he can handle extracurricular activities while still doing well in school. Aside from acting as a tie-breaker, community service shows you aren't just following the 9 - 3 schedule, going home, doing homework, and repeating every day. Those types of people are going to find it hard to succeed in a university environment where there's far less structure.

From what I've gathered the only purpose of ECs is an excuse for universities to continue being selective in the admissions process. It's a tie-breaker that only exists as a tie-breaker for the purpose of finding further reason to discriminate one student from the next, not because it stands to make university better or you better. It might have that effect I don't know (at best we can make conjecture), but I doubt that is their purpose for admissions.

Now when I say discriminate I don't mean it in the pejorative sense of the word, but its literal definition (so none of you strawman me).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)