Pokemon Black & White, aka Gen 5. Coming to Japan in Fall 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
@McLuvdisc-Oh lawdy. Poor wording ftl. :P

For the update, I'm hoping to see what the version mascots look like. It won't be that important to me because I'm getting White regardless, but it'd at least be something to break the silence.

Also, in the new region, I hope there's less water. In RS I hated having to surf all over the map. It was disorienting and obnoxious. Also, if there's snow, don't create obnoxious snowdrifts that the character takes a fortnight to crawl out of.

Also also, if GF is listening, give Jynx a sprite that doesn't make it look like it's offering BJ's to the opposing Pokemon. Kthxbai.

@ Tortferngatr: Going to our heads is right. We know the names and general type of two pokemon and a couple scans. Hardly worth 222 pages. But it IS pretty fun :P

Though Lanturn is my favorite, I wouldn't mind him evolving into a more dolphin-like Pokemon with two floating balls of light circling him...like he could lose the two lights on his head and they could become the two floating power orbs.
I'm going to see if I can pull off a quick sketch of what I mean.

I'm no great artist so I can't draw how I picture it in my mind but this is the closest I can get:
The problem with making a dolphin Pokemon, and why it won't happen, is because the body of a dolphin is just one shape. It can't be altered like a bird or monkey Pokemon and alterations, such as greenery on a Torterra's shell, without having a very awkward design.

Etc.

It won't happen.

if GF is listening, give Jynx a sprite that doesn't make it look like it's offering BJ's to the opposing Pokemon. Kthxbai.
Give Jynx an evolution, Gamefreak. You put it right next to Electabuzz and Magmar in the RBY Pokedex. Then, in GSC, you gave it a baby form (Smoochum) that evolved at level 30 - just like Elekid and Magby. Then Fourth gen rolled around and...what? We got Electivire, Magmortar, and...Hijynx? Princice? Nope, sorry. Jynx wasn't even in the freakin' Sinnoh dex. What was going on in the minds of GF's game designers? It makes you wonder...

Designer 1: Hey, Jynx, Magmar, and Electabuzz have had a pretty close relationship since the very first set of Pokemon games. Do you think we should give them all kickass evos in these new games of ours?

Designer 2: Sure, but let's do it quickly. I want to get to lunch.

1: OK...well, we do have this whole snowy area, so an evolution for an Ice type Pokemon like Jynx might make sense.

2: Yeah, but Jynx is a girl. And girls have cooties.

1: Oh, yes. Excellent point. But you know what Pokemon really needs an evo? Dusclops! That thing is hopelessly weak!

2: Yeah...kind of like that stupid blue land shark Greg designed last week. What was its name? Garbite? Something like that?

1: Haha, Greg's such an idiot. No one's going to use that...

Give Jynx an evolution, Gamefreak. You put it right next to Electabuzz and Magmar in the RBY Pokedex. Then, in GSC, you gave it a baby form (Smoochum) that evolved at level 30 - just like Elekid and Magby. Then Fourth gen rolled around and...what? We got Electivire, Magmortar, and...Hijynx? Princice? Nope, sorry. Jynx wasn't even in the freakin' Sinnoh dex. What was going on in the minds of GF's game designers? It makes you wonder...
Said logic's been used over why didn't Pinsir and Banette get an evolution. It makes me wonder why people really gush over the 50+ pokemon they think "need" an evolution by random "hints", and THEN complain when something gets an evolution, it's either too powerful, the generation had too many evolutions, it looks ugly/stupid, or all the above. Evolution discussion always seemed silly most of the time when it's more on what "needs" an evolution than what happens if x got an evolution.

IRT McLuvdisc: While the relationship was originally Mag, Buzz, Jynx; it changed to Mag and Buzz and Mr. Mime and Jynx. Mag and Buzz got evos and Jynx and Mime got prevos.

Of coarse, everyone's tastes are different, and there are a great deal of pokemon which have no real world comparison that is very clear (Blissey, Exploud, Wigglytuff, many of the legendarys, etc), as well as other pokemon which must have gotten inspiration from other places as well.

Anyways, keep it simple.
To be fair, the Blissey/Chansey line are based on eggs and nurses, Exploud on rabbits/mice (depending on evolutionary stage) and speakers, and Wigglytuff on rabbits* (Jigglypuff on balloons).

* fits with the concept of the moon stone evolution - while Europeans and Americans tend to see the "man in the moon," the Japanese see instead the "rabbit in the moon" (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_rabbit; additionally, as much as it pains me that I know this, I'm pretty sure that Sailor Moon's Japanese name and hair style are a pun on this folk myth as well).

I was really talking about animals when going through that whole spiel, but there are pokemon which are based off both concepts and objects as well. Though Wigglytuff does look slightly like a rabbit when you think about it. The "Moon Rabbit" idea does fit it very well, too.

IRT McLuvdisc: While the relationship was originally Mag, Buzz, Jynx; it changed to Mag and Buzz and Mr. Mime and Jynx. Mag and Buzz got evos and Jynx and Mime got prevos.
Mag/Buzz/Jynx all got Pre-evos in the same generation, Mr.Mime and Jynx didn't. Mr.Mime and Sudowoodo however, did.

Yeah, that's true. But Jynx got a prevo in the second generation, while Mr. Mime got one in the fourth. Anyway, I don't want a Jynx evolution because I'm obsessed with consistency. I want one because Jynx is an awesome Pokemon, and I'd like to see it get awesome-er. I don't know though...a lot of people already seem to be on edge just because one of the games is called Pokemon Black. A Pokedex which places any more emphasis on the Jynx line might get Nintendo sued.

@Ming-Ming: So basically, you're saying that if a person supports one evolution, they're not allowed to criticize other evolutions that they feel are poorly designed or unnecessary? Sorry, I don't buy that. I think Honchkrow looks like a boss, and Dusknoir looks like a fat tub of lard with a pancake sitting on his head. That's my opinion, and it's not going to change anytime soon.

Also, how are we supposed to discuss "what would happen if x gets an evolution" when we don't have the base stats or move pool for that hypothetical evolution? I could start planning stat builds for a Jynx evo with Base 150 Special Attack and Psycho Boost, but what are the chances that my prediction is right? Knowing my skills at prediction...very, very low.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Jynx is more of a trio with Elec/Mag and a duo with Mr. Mime; the trio got pre-evos together and also had the Elemental Punches as signature moves, but Jynx's stats were ALWAYS closer to Mr. Mime's than to the trio. Not only that, but having Elec/Mag getting evos while Mime and Jynx are left out shows they preferred to go with the duos idea instead of trio+loner.

So yeah, Jynx and Mr. Mime will probably evolve together.

Dolphins are more varied in appearance that people seem to think. There's room for design with a dolphin-based line. And many Pokemon look very like real animals. (Tauros, Stantler, many Normal/Flyings), while the Voltorb line couldn't look any different without breaking the concept yet is perfectly fine.

As for Pre-evos, one page back one guy had it. Especially Kangaskhan. I hatch them and they'll have a baby in their pouch even though they are just hatched. What is this?

There needs to be a good Grass/Ground salamander, Fighting/Flying anything, a few more darks, maybe Dark/Electric (I have some kind of armadillo idea...)

@ above above post about kangaskhan (lol post as i was posting)

It needs to be like Mantine and mantyke to some degree. Because it doesn't make sense that suddenly the Kangaskhan when it evolves has a baby either... Unless the baby joined it, like remoraid to Mantyke. Idk how they would do that (invent two pre-evos, depending on items?) but it makes the most sense

Also I see Zoruark possibly being a physical Dark/Fire type. It bears (slight) similarities with houndoom as well, and that nice hair suggests burning.

So basically, you're saying that if a person supports one evolution, they're not allowed to criticize other evolutions that they feel are poorly designed or unnecessary? Sorry, I don't buy that. I think Honchkrow looks like a boss, and Dusknoir looks like a fat tub of lard with a pancake sitting on his head. That's my opinion, and it's not going to change anytime soon.
I meant to say that I believed it was silly for one to argue about a pokemon "needing" an evolution, as if there was a set "pattern" on how evolutions will run as if it were a mandate. I find it a bit of a silly sort of speculation for people to try to find consistency with Game Freak, when, in reality, Game Freak likes to break small rules like that from generation to generation. Since you've brought up the "that's my opinion" line, I'll say the same: That's how I've viewed most speculation boards in the Pokemon fandom, and I'll stick to that viewpoint.

Also, how are we supposed to discuss "what would happen if x gets an evolution" when we don't have the base stats or move pool for that hypothetical evolution? I could start planning stat builds for a Jynx evo with Base 150 Special Attack and Psycho Boost, but what are the chances that my prediction is right? Knowing my skills at prediction...very, very low.
You misconstrued what I meant. It's more of play on how evolution topics seem to "evolve" themselves, going from what "should get" an evolution, to hypothetical base stats and movepools that'll help the metagame. It's a simple satirical play on how the Pokemon fandom seems to behave.

Hey! I just realized something! (someone else may have thought of it but I didn't steal it)

If they DO make black and white, the final game would be POKEMON GRAY VERSION!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)