The Army.

Hey guys. I'm a 16 year old Canadian male, and I'm seriously considering joining the army, but, I'm still a bit unsure. I guess what made me consider it is I don't really have much else going for me right now. So, what do you guys think? Do you think I should do it? Did you or someone you know enlist? If so, what was it like? I appreciate your input to help me make my decision.

I'm going to resist making a "Canada has an army?" joke.

I'm guessing the age of enlistment is 18 (it is in the States, at least), so you have plenty of time to think about it.

Do I think you should do it? Well, it depends on what you mean by "I don't really have much else going for me right now." When I was 16, I had no idea what I wanted to do. In fact, I got to college and realized that what I had decided on still wasn't what I wanted to do. It's not uncommon at all to not have a direction in life at your age. Do you have decent grades? Do you have any interests you could possibly pursue as a career? Would going through more school after high school just drive you crazy?

I actually found out last week that my accounting TA, who is one of the goofiest people I know, served in Iraq for two years, and has actually killed people. He seems to have come through it just fine to me. He's now taking classes at Georgia Tech, so don't think that it's deciding between the army or college; you can go back to either. You probably wouldn't even have to worry about serving in a conflict, so I guess it just boils down to whether or not you think the army lifestyle would help you now.

Again, though, you have plenty of time to decide, and who knows what may come up between now and then.

It's also quite a good career option if you have interests in engineering, communications, or logistics. Also, out here at least, the military can actually help fund your university education and such.

Whether you should go for it depends on a lot of things, not least of which is what you want to get out of it. I have some friends who joined the infantry recently, and they love it.

As MrIndigo said it is a fairly good career option. It all comes down to your interests (as it does on pretty much on every career). It also may or may not help your studying.

yeah, the enlistment age is 18 here, but you can join at 16 if you have parent/guardian permission. And yes, the military does help you fund your education up here too. It also seems like something I would be interested in. As for my grades, we'll just say I'm passing. Video game design would be something I'm interested in, and thought about doing that for a while, and it may still be a viable option. But, I'm still unsure. But, I think I can do it. I've always valued the lives of my friends and family, and people in general, and I would never betray them, and I would always protect those I care about.

Also, for the record, Canada's Army is not nearly as bad as you think. I mean, they get a gun, and in some ways, the C7 is better than the M16. Or, so I've heard :P

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just remember you're making an important commitment for however long the enlistment period is. Usually it's 2-4 years. I'm not sure how strict they are, when I went to the Coast Guard recruiter I eventually was rejected because I had asthma and allergy problems growing up. Worst day of my life (outside of incidents involving death, of course).

The Army is a great way to get a career as well. If you want to go into video game design I suggest you try and get into a programming path.

My best friend when we were growing up enlisted in the Marines. I haven't been in touch with him but last I heard he was based in Okinawa maintaining firefighting equipment. Not sure where he is now.

My dad was in the Coast Guard for 22 years serving as an electronics technician. After he left the service he owned a small business for a few years but the market shifted it out of relevance, so now he works for an electronics company.

If you are comfortable with the idea that you might be sent to the world's largest shitholes in exchange for one of the greatest character building and mind focusing experiences of your life, you should definitely join. Today's military demands highly educated soldiers and they have programs to suit that need. If you're lucky you'll never have to fire a shot.

I leave in less than two months now (something like 55 days) for Maryland to begin plebe summer for the United States Naval Academy. After the summer of basic training, I will attend the school for four years (they own basically every summer after the first one as well) and, after graduation, be enlisted as an ensign or officer in the Navy or Marines respectively. Because the government pays for my schooling there (about a $350k scholarship), I have a five-year service commitment afterward in either the Marines or Navy - USNA lets grads go into either service.

Ever since I was a kid I was always interested in the military and everything to do with it: special forces, fighter planes, war history, etc. Fortunately for me, I got into the college and never really considered enlisting. That doesn't make it a bad option, however, as the military offers great government and retirement benefits, good housing (the definition of good depends on which service and where), a stable job, and decent pay - especially for officers.

I'd say go for it, but definitely think about it extensively beforehand. These are precious, precious years of your life that you will not be in control of, so only do it if you think that the experience will be "worth it", i.e. that it will prepare you for the rest of your life and give you valuable learning experience...which it most likely will. The military isn't for everybody, but if you think it's for you, then best of luck ;).

Because of the situation here in Cyprus, all males above 18 are forced to do miltary service for two years.

All in all it is definitely a big commitment. If you are joining just because you think you don't really have much else going for you, then don't. Make sure you are one hundred percent ready to serve your country first.

Scimjara

Bert Stare
is a Tutor Alumnus
I'm joining the U.S army when I turn 18 only because of two reasons. #I want to fight for my country #2 I love violence

How long do you have before you're "locked in"? I think in many armed forces it's possible to quit if you do it soon enough after joining, if it's very obvious it's absolutely not for you.

I could never join the army for the reasons. Whatever you do in the army it will aid killing people. If you're trying to kill people, people will try to kill you. Even if you are doing something such as engineering you are still asked to be comfortable with going into combat and there is a chance you will have to. To me the argument 'I don't really have much else going for me' doesn't outweigh this. Also, I think the idea of wanting to fight for your country is a flawed argument because, in terms of military value, a nuclear missile is more of an asset. I suppose I'm biased because I'm a pacifist, hence anti-war and anti-violence; this doesn't mean I'm a coward, it means I don't think it can solve anything.

Lockeness

(e^(i╥))+1=0
War is a teribble part of life however a necessary one. When you sign up to the military you are signing up to be a part of a powerful and honorable tradition that has bonded millions of men across the ages. If you want to join and you think you will do well it could be the thing for you. The military is tough but the skills you learn there will help you through out life. My grandfather served and he was able to get many opportunities he would not otherwise have had.

First off, I want you to know that it's not a good idea to join the Army because some guys on a Pokemon forum told you to. I know absolutely nothing about the Canadian Armed Forces but it's all about risk/reward. Risk is that you may be shipped off to another country to kill other people in cold blood. The rewards are great though, as far as the American Army goes. So it's really all your decision, you just wanted to come here and look for opinions.

War is a teribble part of life however a necessary one.
I think that's a pretty BS statement. Most wars throughout history have been fought over land (or something perceived as valuable, like oil), or over ideological differences. War isn't necessary. It's just the way we seem to settle problems when diplomatic relations don't work.

I think that's a pretty BS statement. Most wars throughout history have been fought over land (or something perceived as valuable, like oil), or over ideological differences. War isn't necessary. It's just the way we seem to settle problems when diplomatic relations don't work.
If you believe that diplomats aren't at least influenced by the threat of war, you are sorely mistaken.

Not to mention you cannot negotiate with those who refuse to negotiate. When another army is marching over your borders, you either fight them or you are conquered. Nations that eschew militaries tend to be taken by nations that have them.

The canadian military is great, but it can get VERY cold where you do your training. It's no problem if your from the praries, and it will suck if your from southern ontario or the west coast. But one of the biggest selling points of the canadian military is that we are Peace keepers. We don't fight wars, we protect in innocent civilians who are affected by wars. I'm planning on joining after I finish university (RMC is a shit school, the only subject worth taking there is History) I will be applying to be a pilot.

Why exactly are you considering signing up at the age of 16? You still have two years before you can even fight, so why not wait until then? Because, if you sign up at the age of sixteen and discover you want to do something else in the next two years, it's going to be to late.

Well, I am waiting two years. If I do sign up, it'll be at 18, so I can still have two years to think about it before actually doing it. But, right now however, I'm leaning towards joining, but, who knows what two years will bring.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)