Books: What are they?

Anyway, I've just finished reading John Dies at the End. The book made me go "what." several times while reading it. There's all sorts of little twists and foreshadowing, and it's just generally insane, what with the stream of conciousness-type writing, the dick jokes, and the hurricane of puns (plus all sorts of "dude, that's just wrong" type humor; my sig is a line from a song that's sung in the book). I'd definitely recommend it to anyone over the age of 16 or so. It's entertained me more than any other book I've read.
I haven't read this, but House of Leaves sounds just your thing. Less humour, though.

/necromantic ritual

Are there few readers here? This kind of thread is usually a staple in any forum. Am I missing the active one or something? This is the most recently posted in of this and the one Doctor Heartbreak linked to anyway, so I guess here is better.

Anyway, the last thing I read was "Dragon Sword" by Gael Baudino. Absolute trash, but sometimes I'm in the mood for that. Cross between Gor and The Neverending Story: magical dragon that inhabits a snow globe flies a couple of contemporary humans to your standard fantasy setting with a Saudi Arabian twist: women subjugated and little better than slaves, etc etc etc. Naturally doesn't sit well with the female protagonist, and societal upheaval is brought about by the "evil" side's sorcerer turning a bunch of famous elite infantry into women (cue angst).

Currently reading Piers Anthony's "On a Pale Horse". Have only read the first chapter, but loved the obvious foreshadowing being turned into a genuinely believable sales pitch. Very inventive.

EDIT: no idea why I put an apostrophe in Piers...

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I love reading but I just can't get my lazy ass outside to a library.

I've always liked the Redwall series. I don't think there was a single one that I didn't love.
My user name is actually from one of them(Not my favourite). A bunch of books about animals although most of them aren't directly connected. 'Redwall' is about mice(along with some other creatures) fighting off a rat warlord from Redwall Abbey.
I really like them too. They're actually really nice and not short of humour, plus the food is just mouth-watering.
My personal favourites were Martin the Warrior, Mariel of Redwall and The Pearls of Lutra.

Currently reading Pier's Anthony's "On a Pale Horse". Have only read the first chapter, but loved the obvious foreshadowing being turned into a genuinely believable sales pitch. Very inventive.
Excellent book, unfortunatly some of the other's in the series weren't quite as good as the first, I had to force my way through bearing an hourglass.

I just finished Mercedes Lackey's Take a Thief which is a very good piece of fantasy that requires no prior knowlage of her world. The involved underworld of thievery and crime was quite interesting.

Books I have liked a lot in the past:
- Iain M Banks. His science fiction is, I feel, unparalleled and he is a master of the twist ending. My favourite novel of all time is "The Player of Games".
I've not read any of Banks's sci-fi yet (although Feersum Endjinn is on my "to read" pile) but I've read everything else he's written to date, and he is without a doubt one of my favourite authors ever.

lolita is one of the best books of the twentieth century

atlas shrugged is drivel and approximately four million pages long
Well, I can't attest for Atlas Shrugged as I've not read it, but your summary of that were my thoughts on Lolita. I thought Nabakov had a great premise for a story and started well, but just degenerated into rambling.

The greatest fantasy/fiction I've read in the past few years has been Tim Power's Fisher King trilogy Last Call, Expiration Date and Earthquake Weather. They're pretty full on books that require some degree of concentration, but it's mind blowing stuff! An easier read by Powers, to ease yourself into his style is Three Days To Never shorter and very readable.

Currently reading Pier's Anthony's "On a Pale Horse". Have only read the first chapter, but loved the obvious foreshadowing being turned into a genuinely believable sales pitch. Very inventive.
I never got around to those but I liked his Xanth books.

Got to like the 5th Sword of Truth book and started getting pretty tired of it. I'll probably finish it eventually.

Lolita was so buzzkill. The first 2/3rds were incredibly clever, well written etc, then the last 1/3rd just dragged on foreeeeeeeeeeevvvvveeeeeeeeeeeeeeer so much so that I almost didn't want to finish it. I still definitely consider it to be an incredible book, I just wish it were a little more consistent.

My friend read, Atlas Shrugged, and it caught my eye, the title that is. I can't wrap my head entirely around the title so... I have to read it. I need to know the message of this book.

Atlas Shrugged is a narrative about civilization, and the personal philosophies most suited to a society that embraces Enlightenment ideals.

Personally, I thought the book was poorly written. Ayn Rand seems less interested in presenting nuanced, human characters who live real lives than she is in presenting them as metaphors for her ideals. The book almost takes the form of a parable. Every character is either intrinsically dignified or hopeless, and they stay that way. All businessmen are by nature smart, motivated, and virtuous with a deeply philanthropic spirit. All government officials are greedy, slothful, stupid, and above all parasitic in their personal lives as well as in a macroeconomic context.

What made me give pause is that she also tried to flesh out the characters and give them personal lives. In my opinion the effort felt flat and uninspired. The characters seem stiff and unrealistic even as they form sex lives and develop their careers. Few of the adults seemed to have actual families. They were all either deeply dysfunctional (with several "moochers" leeching off the buisnessman in the family) or they happly devote their entire lives to their careers, forsaking spouses, children, or hobbies of any kind.

I've also read Anthem and The Fountainhead. While I also sharply disagreed with most of Fountainhead's thesis, I found it to be better written overall. There was a greater focus on character development and the individual circumstances that shaped each character's decisions. In both books her prose seemed almost disdainful of the popular culture, portraying it as ignorant, self-destructive, and overly sanctimonious. One thing that stood out for me personally was her implicit approval of sexism, although that mainly stood out in Fountainhead.

In the beginning of the book she makes many moral and philosophical assumptions and sticks to them. If you aren't politically conservative it will be harder to take this book seriously.

If you specifically want to read Ayn Rand's work, I would recommend Fountainhead. If you're looking for books in general I would look elsewhere.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
One of the things that can be said for atlas shrugged is that because it is so plainly written it is easy to race through it pretty quickly in spite of its unignorable girth.

I read it, hated it, and when I finished I wondered how the hell I managed to endure that many pages of garbage. But it wasnt really hard at all.

Also I will admit, the title is awesome. It's basically what made me want to read it too..

Started reading Lolita yesterday. So far it's pretty funny..

Have a nice day.

It's just one of those books that people consider a milestone once you become any kind of constant reader - much like Kerouac's On The Road. Personally I'm not into book snobbery. I mean, if something's poorly written then there's not much point in reading it, but easy reading is a different matter - I wouldn't judge a person's intelligence on the fact that they preferred reading Terry Pratchett over Dostoevsky for example.

If I read something really heavy going or complex, I'll generally go for something more easy reading for my next book. My easy reading favourites are currently Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden series and Charlaine Harris's Sookie Stackhouse novels. They're pretty much sex, vampires and swordfights - but since when has that ever been a bad thing? :p

Finished On A Pale Horse, and it's definitely a favourite now. The author does seem to enjoy ham-fistedly forcing bad jokes into the narrative (guy attacks Satan, Satan teleports behind him, insert joke about get-thee-behind-me) and he can't make up his mind about how the protagonist talks - one paragraph he's verbose and archaic to the point of being a parody and the next he's pretty much a normal guy.

Other than those (which are "problems" with the writing as opposed to story and really aren't important enough to lose the book points) it was a great book, with an epic scene near the end that I would love to see in movie form.

Currently reading Tanith Lee's "Night's Master". Interesting in that she seems to be going for the style of 1001 Nights: flowery prose and no real long-term story arc, but one story leading into the next fluidly.

Short stories aren't really my thing unless they're the clever kind that're short so you can think about them ("the last man in the world sat in a room, there was a knock [or lock] on the door") without the story over-complicating your ponderings. That's not this book, but it is a fairly short book overall and it may yet introduce some kind of plot - so far all the stories have in common is a djinn-like species and their ruler.

I was never a short story fan until I read Everything's Eventual by Stephen King. I'm a King fan anyway, and this was some time ago - but it really is a fantastically engaging collection. I feel the same way about novellas usually, but again The Body also by King, is one of my favourite stories ever, and was excellently adapted into one of my favourite films ever, Stand By Me.

Lelouch, have you ever read any of Mike Carey's Felix Castor novels? Really well written, dark and humourous, Carey is a scouser so he's got the most perfect dry wit.

Have never heard of the author or character before, but a quick google and I'm very interested in both. Alternate/contemporary universe fantasy is a specific genre but a favourite of mine, one I don't get to indulge in very often.

Too broke for new books right now, and have a huge backlog of books I own but haven't gotten around to reading, and books I'd like to own (then not get around to reading) but haven't gotten around to buying. It comes down to reading the first in a series and hoping it sucks so I don't have to add its sequels to both lists. Anyway, am interested in this, so will definitely buy it at some point. Thanks for the suggestion.

The Wheel of Time series that someone mentioned previously is a really good piece of fantasy that'll keep you busy for quite a few months. Despite the author dying, the new guy picking up the ending to the series is doing a good job.

Another one of Stephen Kings works that is worth a look is his Dark Tower Series. It was his shot at doing a fantasy adventure, it plays out as a lone Gunslinger on a quest. I never really did have any interest in Kings work until a friend of mine pushed me into it and I was happy for it.

Interesting that you bring up those two series, Bhaird. They're both series it seems I should love, and actually in a way (different for each) I do.

I have the first Wheel of Time book, but can never manage more than 90 pages before the writing style just drives me away. Unlike some styles, it's not tedious as such, there's just something... off about it. The subject matter is pretty much the epitome of the type of novel I love most, but I just can not get into it.

I did manage to get into the Dark Tower, and actually it was very easy for the first few books, not a chore at all. I'm not sure when the change occurred, or whether or not it was a gradual shift, but eventually the writing style became so dense and tedious that I could read a sentence and entirely forget everything about it the second I stopped looking at it. I often found myself chapters away from the last point I had any vague notion of what was going on with no way to account for the time between now and then.

I've had the same problems with a few books over the years and occasionally I find I actually like the book I formerly was unable to read. It's an unusual phenomenon and often has nothing to do with the actual quality of the plot, characters or even writing.

Some books I've read recently are Robert J. Sawyer's "Illegal Alien" and Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World".

I really enjoyed Illegal Alien, it has a very compelling storyline. It is a Sci-Fi novel, and is about a group of aliens coming to Earth. However, when a man turns up dead, the alien protagonist gets tried in human court, and the majority of the book is about the trial and the evidence found and stuff. If you enjoy a different kind of book, you'll enjoy this.

Brave New World is a classic. Basically, it is about an industrialized utopia, where humans are mass produced, and a very distinct class system is present. It really is a very good book, and a must read if you are an avid reader.

Other books I've read recently are "Brisingr" by Christopheer Paolini and "Halo: Ghosts of Onyx" by Eric Nylund. I loved Brisingr, which is the third book of the Inheritance Cycle, and the second last book of the series. Brisingr is preceded by "Eragon" and "Eldest", and there is another book on the way, which is the last one. Personally, I love the Inheritance Cycle. Paolini wrote Eragon when he was 16, and it is a very impressive book. The Inheritance Cycle is a fantasy series based around the character Eragon, who finds a dragon egg, and the events that ensue with him as a Dragon Rider. I recommend the Inheritance Cycle for any who enjoy fantasy novels, they are really good reads.

Halo: Ghosts of Onyx is, obviously, a book based in the Halo universe. It has a decent storyline, but the writing could be better. Overall, I enjoyed the book, but, I wouldn't recommend it to any who aren't interested in the Halo universe.

Lelouch: I can totally see where you're coming from. When reading (or in general) when I start something I tend to see it to the end unless it's truly terrible or if there's no point.

In regards to the Dark Tower, I understand how towards the end with all the world jumping and events upon events especially where they split up, you tend to lose focus/track of things.

As for the Wheel of Time, the first book has a long beginning, and if I'm not mistaken, a few people I know have mentioned it being tough to get through. If you have the time or desire, it might be worth your time or desire to pick it up again for another go. It's a shame that you don't like the writing style, but hey... to each their own, but the story does get better the further in you go.

Note of Interest
From what I hear, both series are in the process of being made into films.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Other books I've read recently are "Brisingr" by Christopheer Paolini and "Halo: Ghosts of Onyx" by Eric Nylund. I loved Brisingr, which is the third book of the Inheritance Cycle, and the second last book of the series. Brisingr is preceded by "Eragon" and "Eldest", and there is another book on the way, which is the last one. Personally, I love the Inheritance Cycle. Paolini wrote Eragon when he was 16, and it is a very impressive book. The Inheritance Cycle is a fantasy series based around the character Eragon, who finds a dragon egg, and the events that ensue with him as a Dragon Rider. I recommend the Inheritance Cycle for any who enjoy fantasy novels, they are really good reads.
Brisingr really was a good book, best in the series IMO. Paolini's a genius. Any idea when the last book of the series is coming out?

Shinxe

there and back again
is an Artist Alumnus
Oh my gosh BOOKS.

Just reread: Dune, The Hobbit, Watership Down, Sabriel. I can read these forever. *Forever*.

Just read: Scar Night and Iron Angel-- the first parts of a badass grim as hell fantasy series by a guy named Alan Campbell. He apparently worked on Grand Theft Auto then decided he needed more rotting angels and cities suspended over abysses and fucked up gods in his life so he wrote this.

Ringworld. Very cool sci-fi, I love the setting and the thought given to divergent evolutionary lines and other such details on another world. ("The "Ringworld" is an artificial ring about one million miles wide and approximately the diameter of Earth's orbit (which makes it about 600 million miles in circumference), encircling a Sol-type star.")

....oh and for classic 70's fantasy that sounds stereotypical NOW but was like WHOA DnD at the time, definitely read Dragonlance. Super fun, full of good ol' fantasy standbys, starts with Dragons of Autumn Twilight.

About the Inheritance series - I enjoyed it too, but only when I switched off my brain. Like Sword of Truth (mentioned on the first page, months ago) it's so bad it's good. It's generic, totally derivitave and plagiarises several sources quite blatantly, but it's still a fun read. I wouldn't call Paolini a genius, though.

Currently re-reading The Farseer Trilogy. One of the most unique series (it, and its follow-up trilogy, The Tawny Man) I've ever read. They're low fantasy; magic exists but has strict rules established early on and never becomes the fall-back position when the author needs an explanation ("A wizard did it").

What I find amazing about them though is their portrayal of the main character and his life (and his world), from childhood to late middle age over the course of six books, with everything appropriately established early on so the unexpected turns of the story aren't just ass pulls. I really can't put what I'm thinking into words very well, it's just a totally unique style of writing in my experience.

They (six books in total, though six more set in the same world exist, but are unrelated to the main events) are collectively my favourite series/story/world/whatever.

Shinxe

there and back again
is an Artist Alumnus
Heard good things about the Farseer books! I think I'll add that to my to-read books, especially since you've vouched for lack of bullshit (this always drives me insane with books like Eragon or whatever, couldn't make it past halfway through the second book...).

Thanks for the suggestion!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)