Most Generation PRNG Help / Information

Alrighty, time for another of my dumb/lame questions:

Ok, so I'm SRing for a Method J Pokemon, seed 52140289. My average delay is about 623.7 (so quick question one, would I round this up to 624?), seconds to get in is 14, and the delay required for this Pokemon is 639. So I brought up Pika timer and...well, got confused trying it last night (granted, 5am isn't the idea time to try SRing when you've been up all day, but eh).
I'm sorry, but since I'm still getting the hang of this myself, I'll only help with that rounding question. Your average delay should be based on whether it is even or odd. If you look at your delays, they typically are even or odd. They change though, depending on whether there is a GBA cartridge in ur ds or not. An important idea to remember about your delay is its evenness/oddness (excuse the made up words).

EDIT: Btw, what is a good range for your average delays to be in? I'm finding my delays range from about 15 values, should I try to be more consistent? Anyone?

It changes when there's a GBA cart in the slot? *goes to jump off a cliff at this point*

Now for next question in addition to the above ones, how does having a GBA cart affect it, and by what amount? >.>

Well, looking over the numbers I came up with for the average delay, the vast majority of them are even, so even it is...right?

It changes when there's a GBA cart in the slot? *goes to jump off a cliff at this point*

Now for next question in addition to the above ones, how does having a GBA cart affect it, and by what amount? >.>
It only changes whether or not ur delay is even or odd. If your average delay is typically odd, an GBA cartridge will make it even. It's not that it will add 20 to your average or anything. It will most likely be a 493 to 494 or 492 change, for example. Even then, I'm not sure if it has to be pokemon GBA carts and stuff.

When RNGing for Wondercards, the main guide said the Nature attached to the spreads provided in the table are irrelevant, but when I went for the spread on Seed 690302C3, I got the Nature shown in RNG Reporter (Adamant). Was that just a fluke, or do I need to find a spread for the Nature I'm looking to get?

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It only changes whether or not ur delay is even or odd. If your average delay is typically odd, an GBA cartridge will make it even. It's not that it will add 20 to your average or anything. It will most likely be a 493 to 494 or 492 change, for example. Even then, I'm not sure if it has to be pokemon GBA carts and stuff.
it has to be a pokemon cart, its not the cart itself that changes but the option to migrate pokemon that does change it and it would only appear if you had a pokemon cart in the GBA slot.

The natures for wondercards are made in a way that can't be manipulated yet, so essentially you have to pray you get a good nature, even if you got the right seed. At least, that is how I understood it.

The natures for wondercards are made in a way that can't be manipulated yet, so essentially you have to pray you get a good nature, even if you got the right seed. At least, that is how I understood it.
That's what I thought too, but the Seed listed that Frame/spread as being Adamant... and it was indeed Adamant. Was it a fluke?

This is a Manaphy, by the way. So I dunno if it hatching has to do with it?

I think that was a very lucky fluke that I am jealous of.
Now for my question:

What is a good range of delays that you should be hitting. I find that I am hitting in hg the 489 to 503 range. Should I try to be a bit more consistent?

I'm RNG breeding in Pearl, and am at the point where I'm selecting my target spread from the Egg Ivs tab of the Time Finder. In the top row, there is a "Second" box, which I assume is for the seconds found during the calibration phase. If I put my seconds in this box, the target time jumps ahead that many seconds.

I'm confused. Do I leave seconds alone, and go for the original target time displayed, or do I enter seconds, and try and hit the new time?

The second box does not matter, it is about the second the DS is on when you press continue basically. You can use Pikatimer to manipulate this anyways so it doesn't matter.

Okay guys I've been trying to RNG catch this sudowoodo for about a week now, every time I go to search the elm results in the Adjacent finder nothing comes up. Any idea what i'm doing wrong?
Also I started trying this using pikatimer, now I'm back to emloop using my original calibrated delay. Still getting nothing in my Elm results!
Can anyone help me with this or maybe tutor me in RNG catching?

I think that was a very lucky fluke that I am jealous of.
Now for my question:

What is a good range of delays that you should be hitting. I find that I am hitting in hg the 489 to 503 range. Should I try to be a bit more consistent?
Those delays seem about normal for HGSS, and should be a tight enough grouping for you to start looking for seeds to hit. I'd very much recommend learning a timing tool like Emloop or Pikatimer, though, as those can help you hit delays well above what you get by mashing the A button. (I managed to hit a delay of 997 twice in a row last night using Pikatimer.)

Hi. I'm trying to get a shiny egg on HG but am having the hardest time hitting my delay. Any advice on doing this?
Personally, I'd say aim for a somewhat higher delay like 700ish and use a timer like PikaTimer or Emloop to hit it. I've noticed that I miss A LOT less frequently with a timer. Not to mention that if you do miss, you can always adjust your timing with a timer.

Not sure if the Manaphy Egg counts as a Wondercard Poke, but I RNG'd it assuming it was, and as I said earlier, the Nature that was displayed in RNG Reporter was indeed the Nature Manaphy hatched with.

I just found a different spread for a Timid Nature and RNG'd it that way and got it Timid... Again, not sure if Manaphy is considered a Wondercard Poke or not, but it seems RNGing it isn't anything different than for, say, a legendary.

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Not sure if the Manaphy Egg counts as a Wondercard Poke, but I RNG'd it assuming it was, and as I said earlier, the Nature that was displayed in RNG Reporter was indeed the Nature Manaphy hatched with.

I just found a different spread for a Timid Nature and RNG'd it that way and got it Timid... Again, not sure if Manaphy is considered a Wondercard Poke or not, but it seems RNGing it isn't anything different than for, say, a legendary.
actually the manaphy from the ranger games is considered a method 1 pokemon so the nature will come attached to the IV spread.

Hi I have a question......
Can someone please explain to me how to hatch shinies/perfect IV'ed pokes in HG/SS? I want to get a nice water spout Octillery :)
You can pick its nickname if you help!!!!
Thanks beforehand.

Hi I have a question......
Can someone please explain to me how to hatch shinies/perfect IV'ed pokes in HG/SS? I want to get a nice water spout Octillery :)
You can pick its nickname if you help!!!!
Thanks beforehand.
It's essentially the same as in D/P/Pt (all 4th gen games share the same basic method), you just have to be aware of a few differences (mainly some Pokemon use different methods in HG/SS), differences can be found in this thread's 2nd post: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52180

Oh this is all ever so confusing, was hoping the first post would be 'for dummies' but I have no idea how to do it still...I would radar shinys to find my secret ID but my question is...

If the action replay is used to find out secret ID ONLY with no saving/other codes/no other hacks, then turn off straight away, would the legality checks at nintendo events say no automaticly because an AR has been used? even though there was no save or anything to moderatly alter the game

not that im trying to by-pass the system, im just concidering RNG pokemon for next years VGC because that seems to be the way to go -_- but dont want my game tainted with AR if they can pick it up even if I only wana know my SID, oh and I would use platinum to do my RNG.

I would chain for SID...but I dont really understand how, and my luck with pokeradar is TERRIBLE hence me wanting to RNG for the odd shiny maybe.... :(

please help

You don't have to worry about using AR to find your SID. All that code does is look at what exists in your game. It changes nothing.

Okay... After spending all day combing this stuff over, I've got a question to ask regarding delay.

I'm trying to RNG the shiny found at frame 6944 (Actual 6949 of seed 28050C09 (Adamant, PID: 751CBCF5, Ability 1, 3/23/7/9/12/3, HP Steel 39, Male) to see if I can do this right.

I get a time of: 2010.01.01, 05:00:39, Delay 3071

Using the PokeRNG Timer linked (Pika and Emu won't work for me), it splits the delay into:

Pre Delay: 25.59
Delay: 51.18

Is the timer started after the DS clock time is changed or as soon as I get to the "Touch to Start" screen?

Also, do frames really advance 60 per second? 0_0 With the 51.18 total seconds spent that would be 3070.8 frames. Would I then have to wait for 3873.2 frames (or 54.5 seconds) to advance before I use Sweet Scent to start a battle? Forgive me if I'm totally missing something... (Method J is being used in the grassy area just before Mt.Silver Cave, by the way).

Okay... After spending all day combing this stuff over, I've got a question to ask regarding delay.

I'm trying to RNG the shiny found at frame 6944 (Actual 6949 of seed 28050C09 (Adamant, PID: 751CBCF5, Ability 1, 3/23/7/9/12/3, HP Steel 39, Male) to see if I can do this right.

I get a time of: 2010.01.01, 05:00:39, Delay 3071

Using the PokeRNG Timer linked (Pika and Emu won't work for me), it splits the delay into:

Pre Delay: 25.59
Delay: 51.18

Is the timer started after the DS clock time is changed or as soon as I get to the "Touch to Start" screen?

Also, do frames really advance 60 per second? 0_0 With the 51.18 total seconds spent that would be 3070.8 frames. Would I then have to wait for 3873.2 frames (or 54.5 seconds) to advance before I use Sweet Scent to start a battle? Forgive me if I'm totally missing something... (Method J is being used in the grassy area just before Mt.Silver Cave, by the way).
The timer starts as soon as you change the DS clock. You should start the game and soft reset when you hit the pre delay. Then you should hit A a few times and hit continue when you hit the delay.

The "frame" for the RNG does not advance constantly. It will only advance through in-game actions when the game determines it needs a new random number. You can advance the RNG through tuning the radio and calling professor Elm. See the guides for more details.

You shouldn't be using Method J if you're playing HG/SS - use Method K.

Search for: NAIVE 31/3/31/31/31/31
Found 1 result(s)!
PID: e4f781fa (NAIVE, ability 0) 31/3/31/31/31/31 (Seed: b0010266 Method 1: 581, J (synch): 528, J (no synch): None, K (synch): 528, K (no synch): None) HP DARK 70

If I hit this frame with the right delay, with a syncher in party (Equals 263.5 flips. then 128 steps, right? )And if I hit it will it be 31/x/31/31/31/31? Or do I not understand something? Cause I've been reseting for forever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 23)