The 1v1 Metagame

Ditto

/me huggles
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
First 1v1 IRC Tournament will be held tonight. Sign ups will start 6 hours from the time of this post. Wild Eep will be the one hosting it.

Wild Eep

pet pet pet
is a Forum Moderatoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
The first 1v1 IRC Tournament is over, and here are the results (round robin):

1. king (3-0)
2. Wild Eep (2-1)
3. Fear the Pika (1-2)
4. drcossack (0-3)

Congratulations to king, and get ready for next week!

peng

Unmasked
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Pokemon Name: Gyarados
Set Name: Wannabe Dragon
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
EVs: 4HP/252Atk/252Spe
Item: Choice Band
Move 1: Waterfall
Move 2: Earthquake
Move 3: Outrage
Move 4: Stone Edge / Ice Fang

Outrage is the crux of this set. Despite it being insane to use in singles, it is actually completely viable in 1v1, with Choice Band giving you the same boost that Dragon STAB would. Outrage also has incredible coverage, hitting everything except Steels for neutral damage, with most of those steels being crushed by Choice Band Earthquake.

Choice Band is also brilliant as it lets you always beat any random TrickScarfers you come across immediately.

If you want an attack to hit bulky grass types, you can run Ice Fang over Stone Edge. Note that Bounce is a terrible move in this metagame, Protect is too common to make it useful.

I know it has some flaws, such as being extremely susceptible to Sleep users, and fast electric types such as Jolteon, but I think it's the best Gyarados can pull off in 1v1.

Lol if this has already been posted before.

Given that Focus Sash is banned:

Slaking @ Choice Band
EVs 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Jolly nature
Giga Impact
Earthquake
Fire Punch
Shadow Claw / Sleep Talk
I'd suggest Feint, as you're screwed if they know Protect. I guess over Fire Punch although that obviously leaves a few holes.

Fear loses to anyone with leftovers, any ghosts, any priority users, any trick users, any flinch users, and any people that burn or poison you on the first hit.

That list is too extensive for me
No it does not:

Kangaskhan- @ Focus Sash

Scrappy

Yawn
Protect
Endeavor
Sucker Punch/Filler

Protect to scout. Take hit... survive at 1 HP, as you Yawn. Protect, as they sleep. Endeavor as they sleep. KO.

Fake-out is stopped by Protect,

Scrappy handles Ghosts, Sucker Punch does too...

Yawn + Protect handles priority users.

Leftovers user- Max Attack for Sucker Punch.

Flinch- Sucker Punch to avoid.

Wynaut and Wobbuffet should be removed from the ban list. First wynaut is totally useless then Wobbuffet loses if the opponent has any non attacking move.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Wobbufett doesn't necessarily lose to non-attacking moves - it Encores the non-attacking move, stalls it out, and kills you when you attack it.

There should be tests done though.

FEAR also doesn't work with Focus Sash banned.
Ok... Endure + Salac Berry
Smeargle: @ Salac Berry

Spore

Endure
Endeavor
Dragon Rage

*For this battle system, does this mean players have a team of 6, and only bring one into battle (kinda like the VGC where you have 6 but choose 4?)

If so, then Assist Pokemon like Weavile can really cause some havoc... Assisting a Spore, or a Belly Drum, or anything...

Last Resort also becomes a decent choice, since you wont be switching...

Ditto

/me huggles
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
#1v1 Tournament Annoucement
There will be a tournament Monday the 19th at 8:00 PM (US Eastern Time) held by either myself or WildEep. This tournament will be on #1v1 IRC (instructions to get there can be found in the first post). Depending on the number of people, the tournament style will be different. However, this Tourament will allow use of both Garchomp and Salamence. This will hopefully get us to see whether they deserve to be uber in 1v1 as well as OU.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
I think it would be much easier to hold it over PO and more people would end up playing.

I'm running calcs on Choice Scarf Porygon-Z and Modest Adaptability Hyper Beam OHKOs 252/0 Swampert. It survives Jolly ScarfChomp Outrage, too.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Is there some way to facilitate the use of mail? I mean, we could say don't use an item and then Trick = autoloss...

@Ice-eyes: Perhaps we can hash something out this time to do next time.

Well, as the close combat tournament just ended, I am going to disclose the pokemon that I used in the tournament, and ended up winning it for me.

Blissey - Heart Mail (Earlier in the tournament was a chople berry)
Bold - Natural Cure - 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Toxic
Counter
Rest (Earlier in tournament was Softboiled)
Protect (Earlier in tournament was Seismic Toss)

This was an anti-typical strategies Blissey, with Mail to stop people from Tricking, Rest to stop toxic stall, Protect to scout, Counter for physical pokemon, and Toxic for special pokemon. After careful examination I decided that Mail, Rest, and Protect were more important then their replacements, as Chople just beats Infernape, a pokemon that I didn't expect to see much of with focus sash banned. Although I was a little worried about losing the instant recovery of softboiled, not losing to toxic ended up out weighing it's use in my opinion. And after a scare about mispredicting a mixed pokemon, I decided to use Protect instead of seismic toss, as I didn't expect to see many special steels or poison pokes in the tournament.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)