The 1v1 Metagame

Hm, I'm not sure whether it's better to use Wide Lens Hypnosis, or Substitute + Micle berry Hypnosis. Thoughts?
(Moveset is Protect/Substitute/Hypnosis/Attack)

Hm, I'm not sure whether it's better to use Wide Lens Hypnosis, or Substitute + Micle berry Hypnosis. Thoughts?
(Moveset is Protect/Substitute/Hypnosis/Attack)
Use something other than Hypnosis like Sleep Powder (I can live with 25% miss rate, even if I'll be a bit angry over it sometimes. 40% miss unaided, no.). Also, I reccomend maybe Sitrus Berry for an extra Sub if needed.

I'm using Yanmega, so no better sleep moves... You normally get at least two chances for Hypnosis, so it's more like a 16% fail rate unaided (two misses in a row). Speed Boost lets you outspeed even scarfers, meanwhile. Detect alone beats Slaking.

Why would this be a metagame? Only a few Pokemon can be used.
On the contrary. There is an actual tier of this on Pokemon Online. It's the strategy that goes behind who you pick, what you do to prepare for every possible threat or how to overcome that makes it a real metagame. Besides, you can use a lot more Poke in here than that silly Middle Cup.

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Can't you try trick + torment to ruin whatever you face?
Hypno might be able to pull that off. Something like:
Hypno @ Choice scarf
Insomnia (though trick screws sleep anyways)
Defensive ev spread
trick
torment
protect
psychic
Things that 2 hit ko you are the only thing you fail against.
Edit: Whoops I fail, it also fail against choicers, which are common.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
KE, it doesn't fail to all Choice users because you Torment them and they struggle to death while you spam Torment.

How do you know it's choiced straight away though?

And even if you do, if you spam torment you have to hope they can't 3HKO.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Here's how it works.

Hypno used Torment!
<Poke> used <Move>!

Hypno used Torment! But it failed.
<Poke> used Struggle!

If they're faster, they have the chance to 2HKO, which sucks, but such is life.

Encore + Torment Gardevoir / Alakazam are absolutely lethal in my experience.

i've never played this (though it sounds interesting) so i don't know if people do this or not, but does anyone use electivire? you could scarf em, send him out to battle with that great movepool of his and let pandemonium ensue.

Here's how it works.

Hypno used Torment!
<Poke> used <Move>!

Hypno used Torment! But it failed.
<Poke> used Struggle!

If they're faster, they have the chance to 2HKO, which sucks, but such is life.

Encore + Torment Gardevoir / Alakazam are absolutely lethal in my experience.
And if they're not choiced?

That's my point. You don't know what item the opponent has.

And even still, if X used a move like flamethrower on Hypno and it can 3HKO, then Hypno will die before struggle kills them.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
You could Scarf Vire, send it out to battle, fail to kill anything due to lackluster power and then die.

Ace Emerald

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
i've never played this (though it sounds interesting) so i don't know if people do this or not, but does anyone use electivire? you could scarf em, send him out to battle with that great movepool of his and let pandemonium ensue.
In my expiriences bulk>speed. Better to take more hits because it is very hard to ohko everything. The more chances for you to attack the better.

@ice eyes: I've heard tell of this alakazam, but ignored it because I didn't think alakazam could tale enough hits. What are your expiriences with it?

Hypno might be able to pull that off. Something like:
Hypno @ Choice scarf
Insomnia (though trick screws sleep anyways)
Defensive ev spread
trick
torment
protect
psychic
Things that 2 hit ko you are the only thing you fail against.
Edit: Whoops I fail, it also fail against choicers, which are common.
Plus you fail to anything with Mail, or faster Substitute users. (Thinking of Yanmega and Ninjask, basically.)

Ace Emerald

Plus you fail to anything with Mail, or faster Substitute users. (Thinking of Yanmega and Ninjask, basically.)
Ninjask isn't very viable, yanmega beats him because of STAB SE bug buzz, not sub. I haven't seen much sub, and personally I don't see the point except to block sleep, which lum berry also does. But yeah I forgot about mail...
I'm going to do some calcs and see if I want to use hypno, I'll post my opinion on the set after I collect more data. I'm pretty sure its outclassed by the more reliable alakazam I've heard about, but hypno does have more bulk so I'm going to research just in case there is something he can do that alakazam cannot.

Yeah, I've being running StallZong with CM and I.Defense and it works absolute wonders (Heatproof). Only things that fail are Ground STAB Pokés like Hippodawn (OHKO with EQ, because of no Levitate), Machamp (Dynamicpunch...) and scarfed 'mon.

But overall, people aren't REALLY prepared for it and generally rage quit because I end up stalling a lot (Blissey comes to mind, we do a stall battle, I usually win) or simply counter pretty well that their Pokémon, seemingly stronger, are crushed (Infernape, for example).

In fact, I love Zong so much it provided a great support to my Uber metagame team (with dif. set and spread, obviously).

Yeah, I've being running StallZong with CM and I.Defense and it works absolute wonders (Heatproof). Only things that fail are Ground STAB Pokés like Hippodawn (OHKO with EQ, because of no Levitate), Machamp (Dynamicpunch...) and scarfed 'mon.

But overall, people aren't REALLY prepared for it and generally rage quit because I end up stalling a lot (Blissey comes to mind, we do a stall battle, I usually win) or simply counter pretty well that their Pokémon, seemingly stronger, are crushed (Infernape, for example).

In fact, I love Zong so much it provided a great support to my Uber metagame team (with dif. set and spread, obviously).
I can attest to this, but it only lasts so long. People did manage to catch onto the fact I was running Heatproof after a while. So that's why I came up with my BandZong bait set for later. :3

Ace Emerald

Unbanning Deoxys-S - One of the main thing that got Deoxy-S banned was it's ability to set up Entry Hazards. With Entry Hazards being useless, Deoxys-S should be considered to be allowed. Although it does still have a good movepool and stats.
This hasn't really been discussed and I was wondering what people though of Deoxys-s being unbanned. It isn't all that powerful and it's good defenses are let down by base 50 HP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)