-Fire blast/Flamethrower
-Superpower
-Hidden power(grass/Ice)
-Agility

Why this should be on site:
-Overall more powerful than Infernape
-Deals with scarmbliss well
-out speeds +1/scarf neutral base 100s after agility
-With hpgrass/ice it takes care of Swampert/Dragonite well.

Teammates:
-Something to deal with Tentacruel/Gyarados and to deal with Swampert/Dragonite as well depnding on hidden power choice.
-A scarf revenge killer to deal with anything faster than 299 speed with +1

Counters:
-Tentacruel and Gyarados
-Dragonite/Swampert depending on hidden power

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This actually doesn't look too bad at a glance.

My sensors tell me that this could be more powerful than Infernape if it wanted to be, but there are some problems on this set that will have to be dealt with:

• When is Blaziken going to find the opportunity to set up? With defenses like his, even Heatran Fire Blast is going to scorch this thing

• Blaziken doesn't really have a reliable, consistent Fighting-type move like Infernape does. Close Combat may lower defenses, but Infernape has the offenses and Speed to negate this, while Blaziken has to predict correctly to use SuperPower effectively (I.E. Switching Skarmory on SuperPower aimed at Blissey)
  • It's a Life Orb attacker who has to find the right time to set up and deal damage. Period. If Blaziken gets hit heavily, it won't last as long.
  • 252 Attack EVs? Why? You can just adjust the EVs to OHKO Blissey and put some of those into Special Attack.
  • And....Sigh...Gyarados. And Swampert and Dragonite. Textbook counters if you don't have the right Hidden Power. Perhaps Jirachi or Jolteon would do well in this department.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
I don't think that a set like this would work in a bulky water (and Starmie) infested metagame. Eliminating these Pokemon before you set up a sweep is easier said than done.

I just don't know why I would use this over Infernape, who has naturally high speed and access to Mach Punch, Close Combat, Swords Dance, and Nasty Plot.

Adding on to the above posts, I don't see why Lucario or Empoleon, both of whom sport much better typing and a more usable movepool to work with, can't do what Blaziken is trying to do, only better. Lucario has a STAB Close Combat, Crunch to beat Ghosts with, and Ice Punch to nail Gliscor in the face while Empoleon has great coverage with Water / Grass / Ice. That being said, running a mixed set + Agility is usually a terrible idea since you'll have to split the Attack / Special Attack EVs and run a Speed neutral nature to make up for the lost power. Not only that, but Blaziken is heavily outclassed by Infernape outside of TR due to its mediocre defenses, sup-par Speed, and lackluster offensive movepool (no Grass Knot makes Blaziken an unhappy bird). Yes, it has Agility and Baton Pass, but it's way too frail to pull either one off.

IMO, the only Blaziken set that works in OU is Mirror Move / Overheat / Vacuum Wave / Superpower @ Focus Sash as a lead. At least Blaziken can do something by either setting up entry hazards, crippling stuff or beating common leads with Mirror Move, or just KOing stuff with its STAB attacks + priority.

My sensors tell me that this could be more powerful than Infernape if it wanted to be, but there are some problems on this set that will have to be dealt with:

• When is Blaziken going to find the opportunity to set up? With defenses like his, even Heatran Fire Blast is going to scorch this thing
  • Blaziken doesn't really have a reliable, consistent Fighting-type move like Infernape does. Close Combat may lower defenses, but Infernape has the offenses and Speed to negate this, while Blaziken has to predict correctly to use SuperPower effectively (I.E. Switching Skarmory on SuperPower aimed at Blissey)
  • It's a Life Orb attacker who has to find the right time to set up and deal damage. Period. If Blaziken gets hit heavily, it won't last as long.
  • 252 Attack EVs? Why? You can just adjust the EVs to OHKO Blissey and put some of those into Special Attack.
  • And....Sigh...Gyarados. And Swampert and Dragonite. Textbook counters if you don't have the right Hidden Power. Perhaps Jirachi or Jolteon would do well in this department.
Only 140 ev's are in attack. The 252 is for spatk.
Also do you think sky uppercut may be viable over Superpower and hidden power electric msy be an option?

Mixape can ruin skarmbliss as well and can out speed some pokes you cant without the need of setting up agility and can use U-turn to scout while you cant. Blaziken is generally outclassed by infernape in my opinion.

Whilst in theory this might seem okay, this set seems to want to do too many things at once.

If your seeking an agility sweeper, it is severely outclassed by both empoleon and lucario (by reasons mentioned by Chillarmy). It might also be able to disrupt some forms of stall, but infernape does that way better (aswell as being met by some random bulky water in no time).

the biggest issue however will be: when will this get to set up? Even a scarftran locked into fireblast will 2hko this after rocks (and most of the time without rocks aswell):
Naive Heatran Fire Blast
vs. Rash Blaziken : 57.8% max

Infernape simply has so many more options where it can shine, and it doesnt have much use for an agility set like for example lucario does, by surprising a lot of its checks/counters

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
The sad part is, is the fact that this set has to rely on Superpower to sweep, which is counterproductive as it lowers Attack. Sky Uppercut needs to be the main Fighting-type move on this set.

Why so many attack EVs?

4 Atk LO Superpower vs. 4/0 Neutral Heatran: (115.79% - 137.46%)

With that calc in mind, you OHKO Max/Max Bold Blissey, easily OHKO Tyranitar, and have a 58% chance to OHKO 168/120 Careful Curselax without sacrificing Speed.

The thing about this is that Blaziken is a wall breaker, plain and simple. It isn't that great a sweeper. That being said, pretty much all the walls you are going to break down are slower than you so I don't see a reason to use Agility. And if you aren't using Agility, I don't really see why I wouldn't use Infernape over Blaziken. I'm sure there is something Blaziken can kill with those 16 more Attack points that Infernape cannot and if you want to try and get a set capitalizing on that through QC go ahead. But this set as it stands doesn't seem very viable in this metagame where bulky Water-types are rampant.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

u are asking how could blaziken find time to use agility being so frail....he can find time the same way that all frail sweepers do,forcing a switch with his high attack stats....

u are asking how could blaziken find time to use agility being so frail....he can find time the same way that all frail sweepers do,forcing a switch with his high attack stats....
The issue you are going to have to prove is it's Speed. Nearly every frail sweeper in OU is faster than Blaziken, so they have an easier time forcing switches. 80 base speed, while usable in OU, is by no means fast, making Blaziken more prone to being KO'd before it can get an Agility off.

Why do you think Heracross is UU now? =/

I really think this set can work, although I would use a Rash Nature 252SpA EV's 204Spe which allows you to outspeed the same threats, and 52 Atk EV's. I opt this set over your suggested spread because..
A) You still Out speed the same threats
B) you have more Special Attacking power which is where you will be hitting from the most.
C) this Spread defeats even the most Specially Bulky Dragonite with Hidden Power Ice after Stealth Rocks.

Oh for everyone who is asking when can Blaziken switch in....Blaziken is meant to come in after one of your pokes are KO'd...people normally don't switch in Infernape all willy nilly because he is so frail. Blaziken also can switch in against foretress and Skarmory or a scizor locked into bullet punch....yeah not to hard.

I think this set is like Infernape alot, but a real catch for it would be to combine it with Infernape, since this can outrun and kill Starmie, basically tearing a hole in the opponents' team for Infernape to clean up. It's basically like trying to kill two Infernapes.

Also, Breloom could be a good partner if you want HP Electric to kill Gyara while dealing with Starmie, so this way you have an easy way of dealing with Perts who would then wall you.

I think this set is like Infernape alot, but a real catch for it would be to combine it with Infernape, since this can outrun and kill Starmie, basically tearing a hole in the opponents' team for Infernape to clean up. It's basically like trying to kill two Infernapes.

Also, Breloom could be a good partner if you want HP Electric to kill Gyara while dealing with Starmie, so this way you have an easy way of dealing with Perts who would then wall you.
I was just having the same thought! Fire Blast coming from Rash nature does damage of 48.1% - 56.9% to the standard Rapid Spinner Starmie, which is a very high chance of 2HKO. And partnering Blaziken with mon that takes care of bulky water-types will eliminate the need for HP Grass, opting for HP Ice instead. However, HP Grass does 75.3% - 88.8% to the same Starmie, which isn't too shabby either, especially if that Starmie had taken U-Turn from Infernape! Physically-based Infernape does wonderful job as a partner in crime with Blaziken, whether it be the set with HP Grass or without. The U-Turn coming from that Infernape does 55.6% - 65.8% to Rapid Spinner Starmie.

I've always wanted to give Blaziken a try in OU, and this may just be the reason.

Edit: It seems like almost every starters have their chances at competing in OU tier, which leaves just Typhlosion and Meganium. I'm not necessarily promoting them, but it's an observation. And these changes occurring mainly due to the absence of Salamence.

Blastoise: Anti-Lead (See the OU Articles and Analyses)
Charizard: Belly Drum User (As seen used by Dormin!)
Venusaur: Bulky Leech Seeder, Sleep Powder User (As seen used by apologies whose OU team got rated 5 stars!)

Feraligatr: SD Sweeper (See the OU Articles and Analyses)

Blaziken: Specially-based Mixed-Wallbreaker or Agility Sweeper (Soon-to-be?)
Sceptile: LO Sweeper (Already uploaded to the analysis)
Swampert: Bulky-Lead, SR User, Curse User.

Empoleon: Sub-Petaya Sweeper (Very successful)
Infernape: Physically-based, Specially-based, NP, SD (Obviously overused)
Torterra: Rock Polish Sweeper (See the OU Articles and Analyses)

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Blaziken is basically an Infernape that sucks. Agility is an even worse idea simply because other than "skarmbliss", this thing is having severe, severe issues against most anything bulky, and is prone to getting shut down. That's assuming it even GETS an Agility (and that's a big if considering Blaziken's frailness). Why should Blaziken bother boosting its Speed when Infernape can actually outspeed relevant things AND boost its attacking stats, wihch allows it to bust through bulky water-types which inhabit the metagame.

This gets a no from me.

QC REJECTED (1/3)

Against offensive teams, which this set is primarily set up to beat, you will have a very VERY hard time setting up an Agility, to the point where this set becomes dead weight on your team more often than not. Against defensive teams, bulky waters basically ruin you. Even with HP Grass, most bulky waters can survive and OHKO back. This set gets a no from me as well.

QC REJECTED (2/3)

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
My colleagues have covered pretty much everything I wanted to say. This just isn't effective. I'm sorry, but unfortunately I'll have to oppose to this set having its own spot on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)