Volcarona

I don't know why I like this guy so much, but either way it seems like a good contender to the metagame, if it weren't for rocks anyways. And this makes Flame Body useless and swarm very much welcomed, especially when paired with either Substitute, Butterfly Dance, or both if you're feeling confident in Mothra's skill. But I can definently see Mothra here holding Pataya berries while running Timid Nature over Life Orb due to it's frailty in the rock focused metagame so it can fire off +2 Fire Blasts and +3 Bug Buzz after taking the necessary amount of damage to make it really shine.

No one has really acknowledged this guy as having defensive properties yet. He's by no means got bad HP or special defense, although his defence is less than helpful. But with his decent speed, he could easily put up a substitute on a switch and burn the oncoming threat, halfing their physical damage (which tends to be the kind that rock comes from). As far as special walling goes we still have the insanely good butterfly dance. A defensive set could look something like:

Urugamosu @leftovers
Flame body/ swarm
Bold
252 Def (240)/ 156 HP (350)/ 100 SpD (261)
-Substitute
-Will-o-wisp
-Butterfly Dance/ Sunny day
-Fire Blast/ Bug buzz

The given EV's give 240 def, 271 SpD and 350 HP. With will-o-wisp factored in, his defence is 360. I would run butterfly dance, as it will allow him to boost his Spd to great levels, and the speed and SpA boosts wouldnt hurt either. Fire blast is more viable than Bug Buzz as it hits more types,although if you end up with +3 Spa, Spd, and Spe, either will do. If one did choose sunny day over butterfly dance (for some odd reason?), I would use fire blast over bug buzz, as it would end up as 240 base power (factoring in STAB and sunny day bonuses) flying off a phenomonal SpA.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
SR will be all over, period. Assuming its game mechanics didn't change (and I'm assuming a lot there I admit), it will still be omni-present. It's way too good to pass up, and pokemon like this existing will only emphasize its importance.

That said, getting up SR early was becoming more and more difficult (and costly) near the end of Gen IV's meta, with Anti Leads almost matching or surpassing SR leads in numbers. People make Moltres work in OU despite SR, and make Ho-Oh work in Ubers despite SR. It's possible for people to make this work in OU, though it's a way shittier weakness than Heatran had.

The semi-Legendary thing is def attracting people (inclusing me!)

hope people do indeed try to make this work in OU and prevent it from becoming BL due to basically one thing

I think adding more EVs to Def is better than max its Spe and SAtk.
It has Butterfly Dance to boost, add some Def can help beat priority users.

So we've got Flygon, who you don't have a hope in hell of beating anyway. Who else?
Say what?

Flygon doesn't resist Bug. If you win the speed-tie, Flygon is annihilated by +1 Bug Buzz.

553 Atk vs 197 Def & 301 HP (90 Base Power): 354 - 417 (117.61% - 138.54%)

Even without Life Orb it does like 90% minimum.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd say Garchomp (who is getting a "second chance" in Vth gen) is a much bigger problem, since it DOES outspeed, and Stone Edge should be fairly common the Scarf set (meaning it can destroy you without using the risky Outrage or Earthquake).

people i think many of you are forgeting this thing gets wind storm wich the exact effect is unknown but has 120 BP 70 acc flying move serebii says accuracy goes 100 on any weather(sunny day looking at you xD) other says it has 30% confusion rate wich its pretty decent too what you guy think of this move for him?

Chou Toshio

Over9000
No STAB and repetitive coverage with fire . . . meh, when would you ever use Flying over Fire or Bug? This is kind o like giving Swampert Superpower :/

Serious :( faces for no new and better flying move for Gyarados and Gliscor.

No STAB and repetitive coverage with fire . . . meh, when would you ever use Flying over Fire or Bug? This is kind o like giving Swampert Superpower :/

Serious :( faces for no new and better flying move for Gyarados and Gliscor.
since tentacruel salamence dragonite gyarados infernape and the new ghost/fire pokemon resiste bug fire combo all take neutral from this the problem is heatran wich will be a pain in the ass maybe with buterfly dance getting +1 spdef boost will be able to get some resistence against heatrens attacks

Shouldn't HP Rock be in the supposed "dominant set" mentioned in the OP instead of HP Ground, or am I missing something? Sure, Heatran and Tentacruel might be some trouble, but surely all the other Pokemon that still resist all your attacks are more threatening, being physical and overall powerful and all. Mence, Nite, Aero, Gyara, perhaps even that new weak-kneed Pokemon if it turns out to be any good, and so on.

I suppose it all depends on what tier it ends up in, but at this early stage we might as well be optimistic and assume it has some kind of chance amongst the big guys.

I know I'll be SRing this beast whenever I get the chance.

But I agree with Lemmiwinks- HP Ground really does sound like the best choice. I'd rather have a hard time with Tentacruel and Heatran than the dragons and Gyarados. Unless Stealth Rock + +1 Bug Buzz/Fire Blast does 75% min to them.

Still, I have high hopes for this bug. That exclusive Fire move that boosts his SpA sounds really awesome too. Let's just hope SR isn't as omnipresent. ):

Soooooo.........

Fire Dance. On Serebii's Black/White pokedex I read-

"It covers its wings in fire and flaps them. It raises special attack."

Not might raise special attack. Raises special attack. This could be inaccurate. Sure.

But it IS a 550 poke's signature move. So I don't think it's unreasonable at all to think that it could raise your special attack without fail after every use. Esepecially since it has 80 power. Even if it is not a 100% chance, I can easily see it being 50%.

And I might not be an expert, but even I can see that this is probably very, very, very powerful.

So?

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
^ It has a chance of raising Special Attack, just like how Meteor Mash may raise Metagross's attack. (That's what i read, at least.)

So using Fire Blast is better IMO, unless you want more accuracy..

Fire Dance is great, though, because if it boosts your Special Attack to +2 you can go so far as to OHKO things that you used to only 2HKO. I remember running some calcs with a possible +2 SpA and seeing Urugamosu OHKO Gyarados, for example. Depending on the % chance to raise SpA, it could be a very powerful signature move. That's why I have it slashed into the OP.

serebii says its fire dance move special 80BP 100Acc primary effect always raises spa and has a chance to lowers oponentes speed lol its like a free special DD that you can get on the switch against the incoming pokemon if its true it may be preferable to flametrower/heat wave/fire blast/overheat i see fire dance be more useful on choice sets

Serebii has Fire Dance (his new, 80 BP, 100 ACC Fire Move) increasing Special attack with every hit. Not situational, but with every successful hit. Admittedly that might not mean death to all of it's counters, but to me that seems to me the best option to run. If you get a Butterfly Dance off, then use fire dance and survive, you're gonna be sitting on +2 Special attack and +1 speed, and even NVE moves are gonna pack a punch coming off +2, no? It just seems to me that this is gonna make him that much more viable

people i think many of you are forgeting this thing gets wind storm wich the exact effect is unknown but has 120 BP 70 acc flying move serebii says accuracy goes 100 on any weather(sunny day looking at you xD) other says it has 30% confusion rate wich its pretty decent too what you guy think of this move for him?

Sorry for the third post in a row, but can you show me the link on Serebii where it says this? I'd heard it does that, but since they changed it to Gale it only says things about confusing and raising attack (?). I would love it if this move got 100 acc. in weather

Sorry for the third post in a row, but can you show me the link on Serebii where it says this? I'd heard it does that, but since they changed it to Gale it only says things about confusing and raising attack (?). I would love it if this move got 100 acc. in weather
they updated the attack page and changed is name to gale and secondary effect is unknow it says coming soon so we need to wait to get a truly accurate description it may be the 100% weather Acc or not need to wait

they updated the attack page and changed is name to gale and secondary effect is unknow it says coming soon so we need to wait to get a truly accurate description it may be the 100% weather Acc or not need to wait

Ok. And I'm not sure it'll even talk about it in the secondary effect once it's up, Thunder doesn't say anythign about acc. in Rain. I guess we'll just have to wait and see

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)