Politoed

Ludicolo can easily be revenge killed by 100 base speed Pokémon with Choice Scarf. Honestly, I never found Ludicolo to be broken in rain. Blissey still walls it and its defenses aren't anything special without investment.

The only truly terrifying Swift Swimmer in my opinion is Kingdra who can outspeed anything in rain and has no weaknesses except Dragon.

Ludicolo can easily be revenge killed by 100 base speed Pokémon with Choice Scarf. Honestly, I never found Ludicolo to be broken in rain. Blissey still walls it and its defenses aren't anything special without investment.

The only truly terrifying Swift Swimmer in my opinion is Kingdra who can outspeed anything in rain and has no weaknesses except Dragon.
If Ludicolo runs max plus speed, it outspeeds base 100s with a choice scarf even if they run max plus speed too. Just sayin.

From a quick calcs I ran, Life Orb Kingdra wouldn't be able to 2HKO a 252/252 HP/Sp. Def Erufuun even with Rain Boosted Life Orb Hydro Pump.
Now that's pretty awesome. The only issue is that to enable successful weather countering (2HKO from most special water moves) you have to give up some Seeding efficiency by investing in HP :\. Even so, the little sheepcloud thing is shaping up to be a pretty amazing mon.

Oh I thought the hail buffs were true.

Also I do agree that kingdra is the only real deadly swift swimmer.
Kingdra's problem is that Ditto will jump in and revenge kill him all day.

I'm more inclined to be concerned about Politoed because, unlike Ninetails, he's a lot harder for Shanderaa to switch in and trap and kill.

It's like smogon created the 'support' UBER characteristic for politoad, but in all seriousness, we aren't even going to be able to see if politoad is too good for OU untill after Kyogre has been banned and by that time most teams will prbably already be able to deal with constant rain a little better so that might help politoads chances of staying OU. However, I thnik one pokemon might just make politoad rather unspecial and that is abomasnow. It can basically switch in to any politoad set and threaten with GK. Even if you switch out on the turn Abomasnow comes in you lose rain regardless so there goes your chance of a sweep. Pretty much all rain based teams are gonna need something to come in on abomasnow in my opinion and it may even get to the stage where you need something immediately thretening to take advantage of abomasnow because at the moment, leech seeed protect abomasnow can pretty much come in on poli, leech seed protect and leave with full hp and switch in again all day.
As for politoad itself i'm liking a specially defensive set with rest/sleep talk/ boiling water/ (encore/toxic/hp fire) the props for encore is that poli no longer becomes set up bait for set up sweepers who resist water (althoguh they risk the burn) toxic is good all round on a defensive pokemon and poli isn't doing much with it's sp.atk outside of it's dual stab and hp fire is obviously for abomasnow which i think would be my pick because it gets full power after hail is up and so nailing abomasnow on the switch could render it useless.

EDIT: rest talk is for increased durability which will probably be worth it if your using a more slowpaced team abusing hydration or something because it looks like switching between weather abusers to gain control of the weather will be crucial in gen V. If your going for the classic HO rain dance then a rest talk may not be needed but with no need for utilising 8 turns of rain to their fullest potential, you can more easily abuse stuff such as dry skin or the previously mentioned hydration to add a new dimension to rain teams which was previously unseen outside of UBERs.

no it can't. Kabutops uses SD on the switch then beats ditto with +2 aqua jet.
Ditto's Eccentric copies your SD and Swift Swim boost and it also gets the Scarf boost of its own to outspeed your Tops to hit YOU first with an Aqua jet before you do anything.

I completely agree with what -0² said.

Kingdra's problem is that Ditto will jump in and revenge kill him all day.
Are you serious? Almost every sweeper can be "revenge killed by Ditto", the main thing is that Ditto is the most predictable Pokémon ever:
Does an opposing Ditto switch in against you Weavile to revenge kill with Brick Break? Or against you Kingdra to revenge kill with Dragon Pulse? You switch... Kingdra doesn't have "problems", it just can be countered, like every other Pokémon. But this doesn't mean it isn't threatening as hell when paired with Drizzle.

I also noticed that many of you think that Drizzle and Drought aren't broken because there are other weather inducers in the metagame like "the ever common Tyranitar" or Abomasnow. Didn't you consider the fact that most OU team without a weather changer are screwed against a Rain Dance team with Politoed? The whole metagame can't be changed only because of the ability of one Pokémon. I seriously hope this will go straight to Ubers after some testing, just like Lv1 Kyogre did in the old days.

Anyone who even tries to suggest that this thing goes Uber deserves to be shot. I see this pokemon going BL, seeing as in the OU metagame tyranitar will be everywhere eliminating your rain, while also bein the better pokemon. It will still be too strong for UU definately though.

I completely agree with what -0² said.

Are you serious? Almost every sweeper can be "revenge killed by Ditto", the main thing is that Ditto is the most predictable Pokémon ever:
Does an opposing Ditto switch in against you Weavile to revenge kill with Brick Break? Or against you Kingdra to revenge kill with Dragon Pulse? You switch, problem solved. Kingdra doesn't have "problems", it just can be countered, like EVERY other Pokémon but this doesn't mean it is threatening as hell when paired with Drizzle.

I also noticed that many of you think that Drizzle and Drought aren't broken because there are other weather inducers in the metagame like "the ever common Tyranitar" or Abomasnow. Didn't you consider the fact that most OU team without a weather changer are screwed against a Rain Dance team with Politoed? The whole metagame can't be changed only because of the ability of one Pokémon. I seriously hope this will go straight to Ubers after some testing, just like Lv1 Kyogre did in the old days.
I completely agree

Ditto's Eccentric copies your SD and Swift Swim boost and it also gets the Scarf boost of its own to outspeed your Tops to hit YOU first with an Aqua jet before you do anything.
the order of events would go

ditto switches in
copies kabutops
kabutops then uses sword dance

so unless ditto copies moves which have not even been done yet that's not going to happen.

oh it looks like you are saying after my kabutops kos something you are going to switch in ditto and ko my kabutops? I think it's been pretty well established with garchomp that revenge killing =/= countering. I've already taken out one of your pokes, be my guest and revenge kill me. unless you use something besides aqua jet.

the order of events would go

ditto switches in
copies kabutops
kabutops then uses sword dance

so unless ditto copies moves which have not even been done yet that's not going to happen.
It would revenge kill you so it gets all the boosts, since thats what ditto is, a revenge killer. Switching it directly in is suicide.

Anyone who even tries to suggest that this thing goes Uber deserves to be shot. I see this pokemon going BL, seeing as in the OU metagame tyranitar will be everywhere eliminating your rain, while also bein the better pokemon. It will still be too strong for UU definately though.

Tell me please how many Surfs and Waterfall can a Tyranitar take from Kingdra, Kabutops, Ludicolo, Qwilfish and many others?
You are saying that every OU team must run Tyranitar in order to beat DrizzleToed based teams and that once it is KOed it's gg for you.

Yeah...Politoed is going to be BL and Tyranitar is going to be everywhere...

Tell me please how many Surfs and Waterfall can a Tyranitar take from Kingdra, Kabutops, Ludicolo, Qwilfish and many others?
You are saying that every OU team must run Tyranitar in order to beat DrizzleToed based teams and that once it is KOed it's gg for you.

Yeah...Politoed is going to be BL and Tyranitar is going to be everywhere...
He didn't say you NEED tyranitar to beat rain, he was saying tyranitar is ALREADY very common, which DOES hinder rain in a way.

Grass Pokemon with Water Absorb, Suicune with Water Absorb, just more pokemon in general with Water Absorb, makes rain less scary. Of course I would like it if there was a way to get rid of weather without setting up weather of your own, but still, rain teams might have gotten a big boost, but they also got balanced out. Dunno if I can say the same about Sunny Day teams.

@Sapphire Birch: Tyranitar doesn't hinder Rain, what are you talking about dude? It can just switch in, take ONE hit and switch out. You lose one Pokémon and the opponent can simply switch in Politoed again, summon infinite Rain and sweep your team. Do you carry Water Absorb Pokémon? How many of them can shrug off Energy Ball from Ludicolo, Draco Meteor from Kingdra, Stone Edge from Kabutops, Explosion from Qwilfish?

@Sapphire Birch: Tyranitar doesn't hinder Rain, what are you talking about dude? It can just switch in, take ONE hit and switch out. You lose one Pokémon and the opponent can simply switch in Politoed again, summon infinite Rain and sweep your team. Do you carry Water Absorb Pokémon? How many of them can shrug off Energy Ball from Ludicolo, Draco Meteor from Kingdra, Stone Edge from Kabutops, Explosion from Qwilfish?
You don't even need a Water Absorb pokemon that badly. Nattorei can pretty much take each of those attacks with relative ease thanks to its amazing typing, defenses, and resistance or neutrality to most common attacks on a Rain team (Fire attacks on a rain team are usually counterproductive, and the only Fighting attack with the possibility of being see would be Low Kick from Kabutops, which forces it to sacrifice Aqua Jet). It can also seed for recovery if needed be.

Not to mention Nattorei + Bunnekurru (sp?) can wall an entire rain team for days.

You don't even need a Water Absorb pokemon that badly. Nattorei can pretty much take each of those attacks with relative ease thanks to its amazing typing, defenses, and resistance or neutrality to most common attacks on a Rain team (Fire attacks on a rain team are usually counterproductive, and the only Fighting attack with the possibility of being see would be Low Kick from Kabutops, which forces it to sacrifice Aqua Jet). It can also seed for recovery if needed be.

Not to mention Nattorei + Bunnekurru (sp?) can wall an entire rain team for days.
What !? Nattorei is able to take those moves but not boosted Surf and Waterfall. Ludicolo can destroy your "Nattorei+Bunnekurru" (which btw is called Burungero) combo and it is not the only one... how do they handle a +2 Kabutops?

Oh, and in case you didn't notice it: NOT EVERY MEMBER OF A RAIN DANCE TEAM IS WATER TYPE, the best thing to do is to run one or two Pokémon to take out opponents that counter your RD sweepers.

What !? Nattorei is able to take those moves but not boosted Surf and Waterfall. Ludicolo can destroy your "Nattorei+Bunnekurru" (which btw is called Burungero) combo and it is not the only one... how do they handle a +2 Kabutops?

Oh, and in case you didn't notice it: NOT EVERY MEMBER OF A RAIN DANCE TEAM IS WATER TYPE, the best thing to do is to run one or two Pokémon to take out opponents that counter your RD sweepers.
Um 1. tyranitar coming out will kill the rain with sandstorm WHILE raising its special defense now being able to take that water move EASIER.

and not every member of a rain team is water, but the pokemon you named ARE. >_>

Um 1. tyranitar coming out will kill the rain with sandstorm WHILE raising its special defense now being able to take that water move EASIER.

and not every member of a rain team is water, but the pokemon you named ARE. >_>
The thing is, you can throw literally any pokemon on a rain team, so it's kind of funny to see people showing all the things that counter rain sweepers when those counters have counters themselves. And since when did having a counter make something reasonable to play against anyway? There are PLENTY of ubers who have counters in OU, BL, UU or NU, hell pretty much every single one does.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)