Not open for further replies.
Simple Beam
Type: Normal
Effect: Changes target's ability to Simple
Acc: 100
PP: 15 (24)

Pokemon that learn Simple Beam:
Tabunne Oobemu Genosekuto Delcatty Linoone

This move really caught my eye. Really. Because it is so hilarious yet deadly, it is like a Bibarel in move form. We can all see move is obviously suited for multi-battles without having an actual metagame to base upon. Bibarel Beam, B.B., is learnt by 5 fully evolved Pokemon. We do not discuss tiers so we assume all of the Pokemon are suited for standard play.

The obvious application is to change your +2 booster into a +4 sweeper. I can see Tabunne, Genosekuto and Oobemu having this since they are bulky. I think good receivers are Suicune and Dragonite. I have seen Suicune in action in some B/W battles and it still has some of its former glory.

Like Skill Swap and Gastro Acid teams, they can be used to mess with opponent teams. I think these teams which mess with abilities are stronger than ever as abilities are bumped up, a lot, this generation. While potentially being a double edged sword and turning against you:

- I think what this move really screws over is... OverHaze teams. Overheat (or varients) and Haze used together in a team to have infinite massive attacks.
- This can really mess with Perversity (or whatever it is called) Jaroda. Period.

I can really see a team built around this move!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Simple Beam + Shell Break = hilarious. +4 Atk, SAtk and Spd in one turn? Awesome.

If Oobemu uses Simple Beam on Lickilicky, and then lickilicky uses swords dance, you can explode on the next turn without worrying about Oobemu being KO'd because of Telepathy. Also, I'm pretty sure that +4 STAB Explosion OHKO's everything that isn't ghost type.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Simple Beam + Shell Break = hilarious. +4 Atk, SAtk and Spd in one turn? Awesome.
It also means -2 Def & SpD, making it extremely hard for the poké to survive past the first turn. Maybe triples with simple beam & wide guard/follow me?

Tabunne used simple beam on cloyster. Cloyster uses shell break. White herb prevented Cloyster's stats from being lowered.

The enemy fled.

Just give it a White Herb to null all the negative effects.
This, and Follow Me also works. You can also EV the Shell Break user defensively (Cloyster, anyone?) since it won't even need an offensive spread with those boosts. Not very many Follow Me users to choose from, which is a bit unfortunate, though.

It's a pretty silly idea, but would be funny if it worked. :)

+4 Icicle Spear vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heatran = 47.84%-56.28%

...Yeah.

This is with max Atk and Nevermeltice. With a Life Orb, it's 51.82%-60.98%.

It also means -2 Def & SpD, making it extremely hard for the poké to survive past the first turn. Maybe triples with simple beam & wide guard/follow me?
white herb may be an answer for that...

oobemu
@ leftovers
Ability: telepathy
EVs: 252 hp/ 252 SpA / 4 Def
Nature: bold (+Def, -Att)
~ Reflect/light screen
~ Simple beam
~ Psychic/thunderbolt/Shadow ball /troll
~ Psych up

and

Omastar
@white herb
ability: breakable armor/swift swim
EVs: umm... work in progress
Nature: Timid (+Spd, -Att) or Modest (+SpA, -Att)... maybe bold
~Surf
~Shell break
~ice beam/blizzard
~ ancient power/troll

pretty self explainatory... may function better with more investment in defenses

+4 Icicle Spear vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heatran = 47.84%-56.28%
... wait, why are you using an ice-type move against Heatran? :( Of course it's going to do terrible damage. (By the way, Rock Blast OHKOs it. Just saying.)

EDIT: Cloyster may not even need the protection of Wide Guard, since the vast majority of priority moves are physical.

Double EDIT: VV Ah, I see. Nevermind then.

Tabunne used Simple Beam on Cloyster.
Cloyster used Shell Break.
White Herb negated it.
Tabunne used Gift Pass.
Cloyster has obtained a Life Orb.

:D?

... wait, why are you using an ice-type move against Heatran? :( Of course it's going to do terrible damage. (By the way, Rock Blast OHKOs it. Just saying.)

EDIT: Cloyster may not even need the protection of Wide Guard, since the vast majority of priority moves are physical.
I think he was showing it vs Heatran to say "OK, it does this much damage... Against something that is 4X Resistant to it"

For context, something that's only 2x resistant to it could possibly be OHKO'd, and anything neutral or weaker has to watch out.

I think he was showing it vs Heatran to say "OK, it does this much damage... Against something that is 4X Resistant to it"

For context, something that's only 2x resistant to it could possibly be OHKO'd, and anything neutral or weaker has to watch out.
Exactly. Specifically, against something that not only 4x resists it, but is naturally quite bulky, as well.

On another note, with +4 Speed, Cloyster reaches 528 Speed... with no investment whatsoever. Cloyster really has the perfect stats to make use of that move.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
to show that even a pokemon with a 4x resist has a fair chance of being 2hkoed.

I think white herb would be the best to use as item otherwise cloyster would loose his usable defenses and this way doesnt need to fear priority.
also dont forget cloyster looses icicle spear with simple beam since it doesnt got skill link anymore.

@Wafflaneer good idea giving cloyster a life orb with gift pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)