Pokémon Black and White - Ingame Discussion

how lucky am I to get a shiny mamepato (normal/flying type bird) in 10 min in the game, while I have never encountered a shiny before in 4 years of pokemon gaming

What does everyone think about getting Black Vs White? I like Reshiram the pokemon better but it seems White has better exclusives plus the White Forest.

What does everyone think about getting Black Vs White? I like Reshiram the pokemon better but it seems White has better exclusives plus the White Forest.
I'm definitely getting Black. I prefer its exclusives, and I prefer the more modern version of Soryuu City. And Black City may not have wild pokemon, but being able to buy as many evolution stones, Heart Scales, and Luxury Balls as I want seems too sweet to pass up.

Personally I don't see the point in picking a single Uber, who you probably won't use, over a bunch of exclusives who have a chance at OU, which is obviously the more populated metagame.

But of course there are other aspects involved, but as far as pokemon go, I'd go with White.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Personally I don't see the point in picking a single Uber, who you probably won't use, over a bunch of exclusives who have a chance at OU, which is obviously the more populated metagame.

But of course there are other aspects involved, but as far as pokemon go, I'd go with White.
But why bother with ~80 exclusives when you can transfer them all from DPPt/HGSS, get them on the Dream World or hunt for them on GTS? And worse, Black City has awesome items for sale and, apparently, is a city full of trainers who accept rematches. In a game which near-to-zero rematches, having a city full of them completely makes up for losing a bunch of exclusives.

There's the lamprey, Emonga, zeburaika, and Maggyo as far as Electrics go. Whether they're good or not is a matter of opinion (though I'd definitely exclude that last one). Oh, and there's Zekrom if you get White.

Finally got a chance to finish the first half of the game (ending was great). I'll post up my team and a small recap of my gym, E4, and final battle experience (which had some epic cutscenes):

My Team as of the End of the first half (in order of capture):

-Lv.48 Male Emboar(fire starter final evo)@Expert Belt- My pig was great throughout the entire play. It, and along with my Nana, plowed through the beginning courses of the game, showing no sign of losing it's usefullness as I continued. It conquered several gyms on it's own, and played a key part in some battles. Overall, best starter so far for me. Moveset: Nitro Charge/Flamethrower/Strength/Arm Thrust.
-Lv.48 Female Yanakki/Nana(grass Monkey)@Miracle Seed- After I grabbed her to go alongside my pig as my only two pokemon in the beginning, they quickly created an easy partnership. As mentioned above, that partnership alone helped me throughout most of the beginning portions, and she still stayed viable until the end. Sometimes it was rough, but overall, she made an excellent addition. Moveset: Seed Bomb/cut/Bite/Cheer Up.
-Lv.50 Female Gamageroge/Omega(water/ground frog)@shell bell- After I found this little tadpole in the grass while hunting down unsuspecting trainers, I couldn't help but say, "Oh look! It's a Swampert/Quagsire 2.0! I needz my mudkipz". It was rough at first since every pokemon seemed to be hitting the poor thing for large amounts of damage, but by the time we got to the dessert she began to shine, and became a premier pokemon in my team. She brought great utility with Drain Punch/Surf/Boiling Water/Level Ground, trumping alot of things, and actually causing extreme havoc for some trainers.
-Lv.47 Female Doryuuzu(ground/steel mole)/Reset(was going for resette as a pun towards Animal Crossing, but I didn't have enough spaces :P)@soft sand- I had actually backtracked to the first cave where you team up with cheren to get Reset. She actually was the weakest on the team till around the desert area like Omega, where her effectiveness increased drastically after learning several amazing moves. She was the first to reach full evolution, and for awhile, was the highest leveled pokemon on the team (was lv.31 while others were around 20's). Moveset: EQ/SD/Metal Claw/Rock Slide.
-Lv.54 Female Ononokusu(dragon)/Kiba(reference to her kibago form)@Dragon Fang- Well, there is a slight story in her case, not only as to why she is the highest leveled on the team, but as to how I went about obtaining her. Originally, I new that after I obtained my 6th badge, I would be getting surf. With that, I opted to go find the strongest Kibago I could, EV train slighty with my macho brace, and have it destroy everything in it's way. As such, I caught 7 total kibago( and a musketeer trio poke as well while in the cave). I IV checked them and everything, even though most of their natures were lack luster. I settled with this one though, who had a perfect atk, and lol, Sp. Atk IV(which I didn't even bother with using), and average/above average other IV's. I quickly strapped on a Macho Brace to her, EV trained 100 atk, and 100 spd, and then left it as is until I reached route 9. At Route 9, I bought 60 pts worth of defense boosters, and whatever else to fill her up. Overall, I have no idea what her EV's are now since she did battle a good bit prior to Route 9, but either way, she became THE powerhouse of the team. Her terror will be mentioned in the E4, and gym experience, as well as final battle portion. Moveset in E4 experience.
-Lv. 50 Reshiram- Lol, masterball. I only battled Zekrom with it to go along with the story. Other then that, I wont be using it :)

Gym Experience- I'll make it short and sweet for all of them >:)
First Gym- Duo'ed by Pokabu, and Nana.
Second Gym- Solo'ed by Chaobuu(first evo of starter)
Third Gym- Solo'ed by Chaobuu
Fourth Gym- Solo'ed by Reset (ground/steel mole). Evolved afterwards, and was the strongest on the team for the time.
Fifth Gym- Duo'ed by Omega(Water/ground poke ((had evo'ed into it's first evolution before the gym)) ), and Reset(still strongest on team).
Sixth Gym- Solo'ed by Reset(still strongest on team at the time).
Seventh Gym- Solo'ed by Emboar (had evolved in the elec cave).
Eighth Gym- Solo'ed by Kiba (was an Ononokusu at this point, and was monsterous). Kiba dethorned Reset of her position, and became the strongest. Everyone is also now fully evolved.

E4, and N/Ghesurra battle- Will do the same thing with them, as I did with the gyms(I went clockwise btw):
Ghost E4- Solo'ed by Kiba. Kiba's set at the time, and as is now, was Shadow Claw/Dragon Claw/Dragon Dance/Taunt.
Dark E4- Duo'ed by Emboar, and Omega(epic drain punching ftw).
Psychic E4- Solo'ed by Kiba.
Fighting E4- Solo'ed by Kiba.
N- Used everyone, BUT Kiba.
Ghesurra- Lol, he was mostly solo'ed by Kiba as she knocked out most of his pokes, expect for the steel type who caught her while she was low on health from taking two shadow balls in the beginning from Desukan. Emboar demolished the steel type.

I had one HM whore that I actually used, and it was mamepato evo with fly. Other then that, I spread the other useful HM's amongst the team, giving Omega Surf, Emboar Strength, and Nana Cut (mostly because they didn't need anymore moves). Going to start up my White playthrough with a different team as well as the female.

Alright, I'm going to think about, I'll have some time XD

From what it looks like, there is no E4 Champion? What happened to Belle?

Alright, I'm going to think about, I'll have some time XD

From what it looks like, there is no E4 Champion? What happened to Belle?
That was just a rumor that got mixed into the facts--Belle was never the champion. The first time you face the Elite Four, after you beat them, Team Plasma interrupts, so you have to beat them. After you beat the game, you can face the Elite Four again, and you'll fight the actual champion of the Isshu region, Adeku.

Pretty much what Naxte said. And my above team is probably going to change around now that Im in post-game(except for Kiba, cause she rapes >:) ).

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm definitely getting Black. I prefer its exclusives, and I prefer the more modern version of Soryuu City. And Black City may not have wild pokemon, but being able to buy as many evolution stones, Heart Scales, and Luxury Balls as I want seems too sweet to pass up.
This is where you're wrong. White Forest have the exact items but they are free.
But why bother with ~80 exclusives when you can transfer them all from DPPt/HGSS, get them on the Dream World or hunt for them on GTS? And worse, Black City has awesome items for sale and, apparently, is a city full of trainers who accept rematches. In a game which near-to-zero rematches, having a city full of them completely makes up for losing a bunch of exclusives.
Same as above + that the Elite Four are at such a high level so it is really, really easy to level up there so you don't really need does rematches.

I don't get how one game can be better than the other. It's just about what Pokémon etc. you prefer.

@That cave screen someone posted: That's another winter only item. There's quite a few of them in the Ice Gym city and the adjacent routes, especially if you use the item finder.

I'm loling at the fact that Adeck uses three bugs. And the weakest Dragon, too.

The exp. formula has changed. It's scaled for level, so a low level Pokemon can get to 30-40 very easily. Ex. The Lv5 Magikarp went to level 24 after a single Pokemon defeated, using EXP Share. Also, try KOing Cynthia's Garchomp with something 5-10 levels below it, with the Lucky Egg. Hi 11000 exp!

Originally my team was Jaroda, Zebraika, Ononolosu, Aakeosu, Sazandra (not fully evolved by far at this point) and kinda Reshiram, but now it's kinda morphed into Sazandra, Dragonite, Gyarados, Metagross, Tyranitar and Lucario. Some of them were caught fully evolved...

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The exp. formula has changed. It's scaled for level, so a low level Pokemon can get to 30-40 very easily. Ex. The Lv5 Magikarp went to level 24 after a single Pokemon defeated, using EXP Share. Also, try KOing Cynthia's Garchomp with something 5-10 levels below it, with the Lucky Egg. Hi 11000 exp!
Really? What's your source?

Hey I'm stuck after the 7th badge, I went to the Ancient Castle, where N got his Zekrom, then I went back to the 7th badge town, and went east but two Plasma grunts are blocking the way. Where do I go now?

Hey I'm stuck after the 7th badge, I went to the Ancient Castle, where N got his Zekrom, then I went back to the 7th badge town, and went east but two Plasma grunts are blocking the way. Where do I go now?
If you mean the tower north from the ice gym city, that's the 'Dragon Spiral Tower' not the Ancient Castle. The Ancient Castle is in the desert in route 4, where you get the fossil. You have to go there to continue.

If you mean the tower north from the ice gym city, that's the 'Dragon Spiral Tower' not the Ancient Castle. The Ancient Castle is in the desert in route 4, where you get the fossil. You have to go there to continue.
Oh yeah I went there before the Dragon Tower, and got the fossil already. So should I go back there?

Oh yeah I went there before the Dragon Tower, and got the fossil already. So should I go back there?
No, now go back to that museum (the second gym town), get an item and then you can return to the 7th badge town and continue your journey like normal.

I think the whole plot resolution things occurs after you defeat the Elite Four (since I'm at Victory Road now and nothing has come out of that whole ordeal yet)

No, now go back to that museum (the second gym town), get an item and then you can return to the 7th badge town and continue your journey like normal.

I think the whole plot resolution things occurs after you defeat the Elite Four (since I'm at Victory Road now and nothing has come out of that whole ordeal yet)
Oh cool, thanks for the help.

I've been planning my in-game team and I currently have 5 Pokemon in mind with final movesets planned.
So far I'll use
Pokabu which will be my starter and least favourite of the three. I'm using it solely to give me an easy time against the normal type gym as it's supposedly really hard. As it's my least favourite starter I will eventually replace it with Darumakka into Hihidaruma due to better attack and speed. As far as I'm aware, the desert is relatively early game so it's convieniant and has good level-up moves early. Final moveset will be (Fire Punch/Flare Blitz)/Superpower/Strength/Earthquake(Rock Smash if it's needed)

Yanappu Due to starting with Pokabu I will get the grass monkey, which is my favourite of the three and also has the best level-moves due to Seed Bomb, although it probably won't get that high due to me replacing it with Kurumiru into Hahakurimo due to my love of bug types coupled with it's high attack and speed. Final moveset will be Leaf Blade/X-Scissor/Shadow Claw/Cut

Basurao completes the F/W/G core that I like to have in-game. Good attacking stats and speed combined with Adaptability make it really strong, although he'll be used kinda like an HM Slave. Final moveset will be Waterfall/Crunch/Surf/Dive due to lack of good water types (I hate that frog thing >_<) and it having a really shallow movepool. Unfortunately I have no idea where the fishing rods are, and which one to use, so if anyone can tell me that I'd appreciate it greatly.

Shinpora was recommended to me by a friend who has the games and upon closer inspection it looks perfect. I needed a flyer and this just stuck out as a useful special attacker as well. Final moveset Psychic/Air Slash/Energy Ball/Fly

Meguroko was always one of my favourite 5th Gen Pokemon so I was convinced I wanted to use it from the start. Overconfidence is an amazing ability in general, but more so in-game due to less switching. Final moveset Earthquake/(Crunch/Trickery depending on effect)/Rock Slide/Dig

And that leaves one more spot which I'm stuck for. I'm torn between Zeburaika, Ononokusu and Aakeousu, but I'm not sure how early you can get each since I think the rest of my team are available quite early on

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)