Hydreigon

Euphonos

inanod ng mga luha; damdamin ay lumaya.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Sazando with Cheer Up as the only stat-boosting move? That's somewhat a shipwreck most likely because of its Speed that is not really enough to outpace +Speed Base 100's. Yeah, lack of stat-boosting moves aside from Cheer Up makes him have a stiff competition with other Pseudo-legendary Dragons...

but he has more resistances than any of them, so he may end up being the team support kinda dragon. Blowing holes with draco meteor, while using eq and crunch to take out what remains. On a side note cheer up draco meteor over 2 turns is actually more powerful that cheer up 2 dragon pulses.

Looking at all of these utility moves, Sazandra could probably run a wicked lead set if he wanted to. To wit:

Sazandra @ Life Orb / Focus Sash
Naive w/ Levitate

•Crunch / Earthquake
•Draco Meteor
•U-turn
•Taunt / Crunch

Draco Meteor will hit most leads like a Goddamn truck, battering bulky leads hard and killing fragile ones outright if they're not sashed, while Earthquake gives him nearly unresisted coverage together with it; being a physical move means that the Sp. Attack drop from DM will hardly slow him down as well. Crunch is also an option if you want to take advantage of his dual-STAB, and you could combine the three for an all-out attack lead. Taunt and U-turn are an excellent combo together, letting you shut down hazards from slower leads and scout your opponent if they switch out afterwards, but Pursuit gets a mention for being able to trap and kill some Pokémon too dangerous to leave alive (Chandelia, Politoed, etc). Never mind, he doesn't learn the move.

Thoughts? Even in the advent of PBR-style battling with your team revealed right away, I'm thinking he's versatile enough that he could get the drop on a lot of leads while still being useful later on in a match.

Why a Focus Sash? It has nice bulk and we can't assume it's getting put into Ubers (especially with lack of DD and SD). And imgty is right; it doesn't get Pursuit. Slap on a Life Orb and it could kill near anything I'm sure.

i'm pretty sure it doesn't get pursuit
Ah damn, you're right. Sorry, I just saw the move referenced in the first post and sorta assumed. :\

Why a Focus Sash? It has nice bulk and we can't assume it's getting put into Ubers (especially with lack of DD and SD). And imgty is right; it doesn't get Pursuit. Slap on a Life Orb and it could kill near anything I'm sure.
Mostly it was there to make sure he can survive the first hit when Taunting and follow up with a Draco Meteor / U-turn (or just skip Taunt and jump to either move right away), as he has a few weaknesses to common lead moves that might hold him back (U-turn being the big one). I guess I might be underestimating Sazandra's bulk though, 90/90/90 is pretty good and it's enough that the boost in power would make LO the better option against bulky leads anyway.

hmm how about?
D.meteor
Focus Blast
earthquake/crunch
u-turn
unfortunately i do not know how to calc ev's but if you do can you halp w/an ev totals?

looks like a welcome addition to OU, the mere fact its a dragon all most makes OU right there, with a nice Draco Meteor and U-Turn with mixed attacking style stats with a wide move pool basically seals the deal

add to that nice resistence compared to other dragons. it could come on almost anything and hit it with draco meteor.

imo in a mix set the movepool should look something like this....

life orb/expert belt
draco meteor
fireblast/flamethrower/surf/dark pulse (most prefered fireblast and other ones accounts for what you run in other move slots)
earthquake/crunch/U turn
outrage

with a wish passer this set becomes even more dangerous, of course with the abudance of scarfers it might have a little trouble.

i would suggest surf, flamthrower or fb, u turn, and outrage. outrage to get some heavy damage on special walls, flamethrower for steels, surf for decent coverage and shandera and u turn to GTFO. surf could be swiched for a dark move but surf hits way more pokes imo

This thing is like latias mixed with flygon, except with BADASS 3 heads. the real question to me is, which will win out, sazando or latias, as I think they are extremely comparable. I'll list all the differences that are immediately seen, and hopefully you guys can provide some input:

Typing: The big difference is that Sazando is weak to fighting (latias resists) and latias is weak to ghost/dark which sazando resists. Because sazando resists pursuit, it escapes what could be thought of as latias's biggest weak point.

Movepool: They both have broad and similar movepools, but sazando gets access to U-turn, Taunt, Focus Blast, Cheer up, Torment, and the REAL flamethrower (doesn't have to resort to hp fire). He also has a solid 105 attack (which is better than flygons) and a solid physical movepool, including outrage, earthquake, stone edge, crunch, and dragon tail.

Latias gets Calm Mind, Recover (most important), Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Grass Knot, and Trick.

Stats: Sazando has a solid 15 points higher Special Attack (and we thought latias's draco meteors hurt) and a usable 105 Attack over Latias's 80, allowing him to go mixed with outrage, u-turn and earthquake.

Latias, on the other hand, has a deal-breakingly higher 110 Speed, whereas Sazando has a horrible 98 speed, just short of the 100 tier and genosect. Latias also has a far superior special defense, allowing it to switch in on resisted special fire, water, electric, and fighting moves, with sazando just can't handle with its average defenses.

Very sensible... sensible =). sorry, couldn't resist the pun. I know that they are completely different pokemon, but they are extremely similar... and theres nothing wrong with comparing the merits of similar pokemon

I personally like this set as a Mixed Sweeper.

Sazandora @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 32 HP / 220 Atk / 184 SpA / 72 Spd
Nature: Naive / Hasty
~ Draco Meteor
~ Crunch
~ Earthquake
~ Fire Blast

I like having Crunch on this set as a common switch in for these tends to be Burungeru. With STAB Crunch, you actually stand a chance. The other three moves are pretty standard and make it much similar to MixMence.

Another great set is probably a Scarf set that abuses U-Turn though.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Why are people even comparing Latias with Sazando? For God's sake, the only thing they have in common is high special attack.
Pokemon of the same type will always be in competition for a team slot. Having Latias and Sazando on the same team will be redundant more often than not, so you'd have to pick between one or the other. That's why you weigh the merits of both and decide which one should ultimately take a spot on your team. It's a natural decision-making process.

Pokemon of the same type will always be in competition for a team slot. Having Latias and Sazando on the same team will be redundant more often than not, so you'd have to pick between one or the other. That's why you weigh the merits of both and decide which one should ultimately take a spot on your team. It's a natural decision-making process.
that, and in addition, those two have distinct playing styles. good luck trying out a mixed set with Latias. Sazando can pull it off with relative ease, whereas Latias will obviously outclass Sazando in pure special attacking with access to Recover and higher sweeping speed. but then Sazando has better offensive moves. pretty even when i look at it.

granted, i like Sazando's stat spread, Choice Scarf is a good item for it, and i will use him as such.

Uhm guys, Sazando can get Dark Pulse + Earth Power, just teach Larvitar/Pupitar/Tyranitar Earth Power from Gen 4 and all three get Dark Pulse(Or you can use the Gen 4 TM) at around level 32/34 in Gen 5. They can breed with Sazando as they're in the dragon egg group.

^ Tyranitar is in the Monster egg group, not Dragon.

I used a set similar to Lee's to some success (mainly in breaking the Burunkeru/Nattorei combo):

Sazandora @ Expert Belt
Modest, 252 SpA/252 Speed
-Draco Meteor
-Flamethrower
-Dark Pulse
-U-turn

I forgo Taunt and hence the ability to screw Blissey over, but in return I can 2HKO Burunkeru and OHKO Nattorei. I used Expert Belt partly to bluff a Choice Specs set, and also because I used this in a Sanstorm team, and didn't want residual damage piling up. Obviously, you have to watch out for Heatran (even though Draco Meteor takes out an average of 39% of his health) and for Justice Heart users switching in on the Dark Pulse. U-turn is there to escape threats like Tyranitar and Heatran.

Draco meteor really doesn't hurt enough with expert belt. Life Orb suits the set better. Crunch over Dark Pulse to beat weakened chansey/bliss and 2ko burunkeru with draco meteor + crunch. enough speed to beat shandera (or gyara) and rash nature. thats what i run anyway

Ok so this guy hasnt got that great a shot a taking out blissey, but despite waht most people are saying about ononokusu, I think Sazandora actually makes a perfect counter. That extra 1 Base speed looks like its there for a reason, given the same breeding (Adamant/31 speed Vs Modest/31 Speed OR Jolly/31 VS Timid/31) Sazando Outpaces it and OHKOs it with Dragon pulse with no setup. Even with 31/31/31 Defences for Ononokusu, and 0IV S.Atk For Sazando it still kills 100% of the time. If Ononokusu sacrifices EVs in ATK for 252HP, 93.34% of the time. And all this is assuming there are no entry hazards.
If ononokusu is allowed to set up however, things come out a little differently. :P
Add a scarf to this guy, and things go back to being in Saza's Favour (Obv)

Just saying, it makes a good counter.

Also, I've been running:

Sazandora @ Life Orb
Modest/4 HP/252 S.ATK/ 252 Speed
Dragon Pulse
Focus Blast
Earth Power
Hidden Power Ice

with awesome results, Found out i had Ice hidden power and decided to give it a go since TMs are reusable now. I used to run Flamethrower, Surf, Earthpower, D-Pulse, but this set is was more versatile. Something to think about?

I'll figure out the evs later, but this moveset is good for wall breaking.

item:leftovers? LO will kill its survivability
Draco Meteor
Fire Blast
Crunch
U-Turn

Basically, Draco meteor anything not blissey or steel. Fire blast steel types to death. Crunch bulky ghosts like Buru that water thing. U-Turn is for scouting when forcing switches. It will tear apart the NattoreiBuru core easily.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)