Hydreigon

IMO, latios > hydreigon. Hydreigon packs STABed dark pulse and focus miss, but in today's metagame being 110 speed is oh so helpful, outspeeding the myraid of base 100 speed pokes. Also, Specs Latios' DM is absolutely unstoppable. Another thing is that Hydreigon lacks boosting moves so he basically has to go Specs/Scarf or LO + 4 attacks

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
IMO, latios > hydreigon. Hydreigon packs STABed dark pulse and focus miss, but in today's metagame being 110 speed is oh so helpful, outspeeding the myraid of base 100 speed pokes. Also, Specs Latios' DM is absolutely unstoppable. Another thing is that Hydreigon lacks boosting moves so he basically has to go Specs/Scarf or LO + 4 attacks
Only the bolded part is relevant.
Everything in the second part is same for both dragons.
In fact Hydreigon has an even more powerful DM because it commonly uses modest nature and finally both dragons don't have any boosting moves(except dragon dance on latios which is useless).

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
Only the bolded part is relevant.
Everything in the second part is same for both dragons.
In fact Hydreigon has an even more powerful DM because it commonly uses modest nature and finally both dragons don't have any boosting moves(except dragon dance on latios which is useless).
Calm Mind Latios?
Work Up Hydreigon?

I totally forgot about CM on Lati@s.
And there is also Work Up in Hydreigon true but who uses it?
No one that I know of, but now that I think of it that could actually make a rather interesting surprise wall breaking set. Just think about it. Hydreigon forces a fuck-ton of switches, so nabbing a Work Up wouldn't be too hard for it. Then it could proceed to wall break and just flat out own stuff with +1 outrages, Draco Meteors/Dark Pulses, and Fire Blasts. It'd sure screw over anyone who thought one of the pink blobs was a safe switch in.

well when using work up, you sacrifice a moveslot. also, I think a much much bigger factor is that hydreigon is checked by a lot of stuff faster than it.
i suppose you could do a mixed set with work up and dragon pulse, outrage, and fire blast though

Lack of Work Up due to 98 Base Speed, letting alot of 100's beat it out, and having to fully invest in Speed to beat Haxorus and 95's, mixed EV's wouldn't provide alot of strength. Also, I think because things like Infernape could pull off the set better, using a 108 Base Speed. And a set with DPulse, Outrage and Fire Blast wouldn't work, you should try EQ, Fire Blast, Dpulse/Outrage.

Finally, I think the prospect of a Work up set is somewhat inferior (not outclasses though) by a DD Mence set EQ/Outrage/Fire Blast because it achieves what Work up tries to do on Hydriegon, blast through specialized walls...and where Hydriegon has awful problems without boosting its Speed, Mence can DD to crush most counters (Watch out for SR though).

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Draco Meteor / Fire move / U-Turn with a Choice item usually outperforms Work Up sets.

Outrages locking effect makes it a subpar wallbreaking move as well. It's not hitting anything specific, and I imagine Crunch would be a superior choice for stuff like CM Reuniclus, Celebi ect.

Honestly, I find that Hydreigon works best bluffing a Specs/Scarf set with Expert Belt. Nowadays everyone expects the Scarf/Specs set and its amazingly helpful to nail surprise KO's. I've nailed KO's on unsuspecting Jirachis, Dragonites, and Tyranitars with it. I always find that expert belt does get the boost it should, due to Hydreigon's amazing movepool. Sun teams are were Hydreigons belong. They essentially get 3 STAB moves with Fire Blast/Flamethrower getting boost from the Sun, plus they're great partners for Darmanitan and Fortress with the U-Turn/Volt Switch combo.

tehy

Banned deucer.
U-turn is heavily inferior to focus blast anyhow,really. Hydreigon is too massively powerful to waste its powers on "gaining momentum". It's like changing out a nuclear missile for a gun, on the basis that no one would be prepared for a gun.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)