Hydreigon

tehy

Banned deucer.
katakiri, a lot of reuniclus run more physical defense with special defense. I've done more damage after a calm mind with specs hydreigon than with CBtar. Or at least, almost as much.

So dark pulse would probably be stronger, unless you ran a lot of attack evs.

So, is it still important to have Hydreigon at 280 speed? From what I understand, the point of 280 speed it to outrun Adamant / Modest Max Speed Lucario, but he is rarely seen. I have been thinking of dropping him to 263 speed and dumping the leftover EVs into HP, to outspeed max speed + Breloom and friends who sit on his speed tier, but I am unsure if it is a good idea.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Random HP EVs shouldn't be a justification for being slower and checking less Pokemon, especially when you don't have a specific purpose in mind for them. Lucario is definitely a threat, and so are opposing Hydreigon and Haxorus. There is no excuse to be any slower than them.

TROP

BAN DRUDDIGON. FIREWALL DRAGON DID NOTHING WRONG
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I run 64 HP (Scarf or Specs set) in order to narrowly survive unboosted Conk Mach Punches. Which has come in handy.
Just saying Hydreigon already survives that without hp investment after stealth rock damage with a handy % of hp,and even if Conkeldurr gets a bulk up Hydreigon has a chance of surviving after stealth rock damage.
As SJCrew said,there is no reason at all to not run max speed on Hydreigon,checking Haxorus is a big deal.

Just saying Hydreigon already survives that without hp investment after stealth rock damage with a handy % of hp,and even if Conkeldurr gets a bulk up Hydreigon has a chance of surviving after stealth rock damage.
As SJCrew said,there is no reason at all to not run max speed on Hydreigon,checking Haxorus is a big deal.
Really? That's convenient. Thanks!

Chandy gets good defensive synergy with Hydreigon (although redundant attack types), as well as Gyarados who can Intimidate Fighters and maybe set up.

Hydreigon has Flamethrower/Fire Blast, Focus Blast, STAB Dark moves, good Attack, and no Pursuit weakness over Latios. Mixed sets can use Crunch, U-Turn, Outrage, and Earthquake and, being less seen, can surprise Special walls.

TROP

What are good teammates for this guy and what are the pros for using him over Latios? And is there any possibility of a physical or mixed set?
From experience anything that can kill the pink blobs,appreciate pokemon like Reuniclus,Slowbro,Ferrothorn or even Tyranitar gone or can help it to be out for longer (keeping him healthy or taking out fighting types) are pretty good teammates.

Examples of the above can be: Terrakion(careful with conkeldurr),Latios for something like Mence+Rayquaza offensive duo,Jirachi for keeping him healthy,Gyarados who appreciates some of the pokemon mentioned earlier gone and helps with a handy fighting and bug resist,Infernape for wallbreaking partner that has decent synergy with Hydreigon.

And Hydreigon has some key advantages over Latios:
  • Superior coverage that can be used backed by high bp moves and kill what counters Latios with ease.And while his Dark type brings a nasty weakness to fighting types, it is really helpful for killing pokemon such as Reuniclus or Celebi that have taken barely any damage.
  • Can run Modest without missing something important,though Timid can be used to secure the revenge kill on non DD/Scarf Haxorus.
  • No pursuit weak,allowing more freedom on switching out.

For mixed and physical Hydreigon:
Mixed only advantage over expert belt or specs are killing Blissey and Heatran without using Focus Blast.
Physical is just weak.

From experience anything that can kill the pink blobs,appreciate pokemon like Reuniclus,Slowbro,Ferrothorn or even Tyranitar gone or can help it to be out for longer (keeping him healthy or taking out fighting types) are pretty good teammates.

Examples of the above can be: Terrakion(careful with conkeldurr),Latios for something like Mence+Rayquaza offensive duo,Jirachi for keeping him healthy,Gyarados who appreciates some of the pokemon mentioned earlier gone and helps with a handy fighting and bug resist,Infernape for wallbreaking partner that has decent synergy with Hydreigon.

And Hydreigon has some key advantages over Latios:
  • Superior coverage that can be used backed by high bp moves and kill what counters Latios with ease.And while his Dark type brings a nasty weakness to fighting types, it is really helpful for killing pokemon such as Reuniclus or Celebi that have taken barely any damage.
  • Can run Modest without missing something important,though Timid can be used to secure the revenge kill on non DD/Scarf Haxorus.
  • No pursuit weak,allowing more freedom on switching out.

For mixed and physical Hydreigon:
Mixed only advantage over expert belt or specs are killing Blissey and Heatran without using Focus Blast.
Physical is just weak.
Is Lee's stallbreaker set still any good? I've never been a Dark Pulse fan...

TROP

Is Lee's stallbreaker set still any good? I've never been a Dark Pulse fan...
In my opinion is the best set Hydreigon can use ,about Dark Pulse,it is really good and Hydreigon already has dual near flawless coverage with his other move so is not like he loses something important running it.

In my opinion is the best set Hydreigon can use ,about Dark Pulse,it is really good and Hydreigon already has dual near flawless coverage with his other move so is not like he loses something important running it.
Draco Meteor/Fire Blast/U-Turn/Taunt, right? It stops anything slower than it, but it's useless against fast sweepers, right? Would a Scarf Chandelure make a good partner?

Hydriegon makes a good partner with gyarados then? Could this be explained more indepth? I use gyara and I like hydreigon, might want to put him on the team.

And why is surf not mentioned for hydriegon coverage? Surf is a nice one to use.

The main Hydregion's problem is usually fighting types, and Gyrados deals with them quite well. Also Hydreigon takes thunder bolts and such. Rest talking gyrados also makes a great pokemon to phase an opponents team, making plenty of entry hazards hits, which of course helps a Hyregion sweep.

Hydreigon's weak to Fighting, Bug, Ice, and Dragon, and Gyarados resists the first two. Gyarados is weak to Electric and Rock, and Hydreigon resists Electric. They cover each other's weaknesses somewhat well; the synergy can be completed with a Steel-type not named Ferrothorn or Heatran.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Try Draco Meteor / Dark Pulse/ Fire Blast / Focus Blast.
use this with EB, modest 252 spe 252 spa, one of the best choice bluffers in the game due to its ability to lure and DESTROY scizor, tyranitar, and ferrothorn i find myself leading with dark pulse most of the time, or focus blast, then firing off draco meteors later in the game when you have destroyed the steels / ttar and watching shit die.

definitely not an inferior latios

use this with EB, modest 252 spe 252 spa, one of the best choice bluffers in the game due to its ability to lure and DESTROY scizor, tyranitar, and ferrothorn i find myself leading with dark pulse most of the time, or focus blast, then firing off draco meteors later in the game when you have destroyed the steels / ttar and watching shit die.

definitely not an inferior latios
I prefer LO simply because of the extra "umph" it has against pokes who are not hit super-effectively by his moves, but bluffing Choice Items really is nice. I really like how Scizor and Ferro still get fucking mauled by Fire Blast under rain.

Yea. hydreigon > latios

i have a question.
if they were made so that they have the same speed, who would have more bulk and power?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)